Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RIP, Waterworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wicked part 1? How long is the musical!?

Two and a half hours, but apparently they're adding a shitload of Wizard of Oz stuff and a bunch of backstory.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Two and a half hours, but apparently they're adding a shitload of Wizard of Oz stuff and a bunch of backstory.

I think this is fine, especially the Wizard of Oz stuff. The stage show has the entire Wizard of Oz story happen off screen, with Dorothy only ever seen in silhouette. The film would have to expand it to not feel like a disjointed mess.

Also, the second half of the musical only suffers because it never achieves the heights of Defying Gravity again, there's some great songs in the second half.

However, where the film has hosed up is in not using the time gap between the first and second part to cast Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth in the adult roles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, the second half of the musical only suffers because it never achieves the heights of Defying Gravity again, there's some great songs in the second half.

In fairness I feel like this is a lot of musicals I've seen. The best stuff musically is before intermission.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have not seen Wicked yet. But everything I have seen made me cry, a grown man, at work.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfkthLpeXw

huh

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lobok posted:

quote:

twisters is a joint movie
That's what I thought, too.

We got a sidewinder!

*starts frantically blowing on joint to even out the cherry*

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Wicked was one of those trash airport books I decided go give a go on a long flight once. I was into it for a while but by the time I got to the part where it's explained how the wicked witch has to bathe her emerald green skin with essential oils because she can't get wet, I tucked the book in the seat back pocket for someone to puke in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

clown shoes posted:

she can't get wet

But enough about Ben Shapiro's wife

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

Wicked was one of those trash airport books I decided go give a go on a long flight once. I was into it for a while but by the time I got to the part where it's explained how the wicked witch has to bathe her emerald green skin with essential oils because she can't get wet, I tucked the book in the seat back pocket for someone to puke in.

I'm sorry, what? That part certainly didn't make it into the stage show, unless I'm misunderstanding something you said.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don't understand why something like that would be your breaking point, that seems really innocuous

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

I'm sorry, what? That part certainly didn't make it into the stage show, unless I'm misunderstanding something you said.

Are you sure? Could swear I've seen a stage show with a naked green woman oiling herself all over.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thrawn527 posted:

The book and the stage play are dramatically different, they've mostly only got the basic concept in common

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Remember when NBC wanted their own Game of Thrones so they used Wizard of Oz as a basis and made Emerald City? That was funny. They got freakin Vincent D'Onofrio for the evil take on the wizard.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

thrawn527 posted:

DeimosRising posted:

The book and the stage play are dramatically different, they've mostly only got the basic concept in common

Among other things the book has a lot of weird sex stuff in it and is generally much darker.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Lobok posted:

I can't help but think this movie is going to really disappoint you.

Uber Driver Tornado Sucked Me Off??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Remember when NBC wanted their own Game of Thrones so they used Wizard of Oz as a basis and made Emerald City? That was funny. They got freakin Vincent D'Onofrio for the evil take on the wizard.

That show looked loving gorgeous. Honestly, I had a lot of fun with it, it wasn't half bad.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

thrawn527 posted:

In The Wizard of Oz, the wicked witch is killed when water is thrown on her. She melts. So keeping with that canon, she can't take baths or showers. I've never seen the stage show.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't understand why something like that would be your breaking point, that seems really innocuous

The book is filled with all sorts of details explaining little things from the world of the Baum books and movie without straying too far from them while still being revisionist literature. Why animals talk, why the wicked witch of the west can't take baths but isn't unclean. Literal fan service, which I hadn't really encountered in a book before. I'm sure it's fodder to true Ozheads who wish they could attend Shiz University (the Hogwarts of Oz) with all the magical critters but I just found it so silly that I couldn't bring myself to care. Never even got to the political intrigue. This was like 20 years ago and I barely remember anything from it but that one part has stayed with me. I never watched the iconic "I'm melting! I'm melting! Oh, what a world!" scene in The Wizard of Oz and thought How does she bathe? but I guess someone did. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

In The Wizard of Oz, the wicked witch is killed when water is thrown on her. She melts. So keeping with that canon, she can't take baths or showers. I've never seen the stage show.

Been a little while since I saw the stage show, but from what I remember, the whole, "She melts when water is thrown on her" was her faking her death, and she gets away at the end.

clown shoes posted:

The book is filled with all sorts of details explaining little things from the world of the Baum books and movie without straying too far from them while still being revisionist literature. Why animals talk, why the wicked witch of the west can't take baths but isn't unclean. Literal fan service, which I hadn't really encountered in a book before. I'm sure it's fodder to true Ozheads who wish they could attend Shiz University (the Hogwarts of Oz) with all the magical critters but I just found it so silly that I couldn't bring myself to care. Never even got to the political intrigue. This was like 20 years ago and I barely remember anything from it but that one part has stayed with me. I never watched the iconic "I'm melting! I'm melting! Oh, what a world!" scene in The Wizard of Oz and thought How does she bathe? but I guess someone did. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't for me.

Okay yeah, I misinterpreted why you put the book down after reading about her bathing in essential oils because she "can't get wet". Move along.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 13, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Lobok posted:

In fairness I feel like this is a lot of musicals I've seen. The best stuff musically is before intermission.

Unfortunately this is built in to how musicals are developed. What you think is a reasonably finished product can suddenly collapse in the presence of a paying audience, and now you're spending the entire try-out and preview period scrambling to fix as much of the show as you can, which usually means most of the first act gets sorted out and then the show opens before the second act can receive the same amount of attention. Wicked pretty notably spent three months between its San Francisco tryout and its Broadway premiere just doing rewrites, in which time they cut an entire hour off the runtime.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

clown shoes posted:

Gotcha, I thought you were just icked out by it. I haven’t read it or seen the show so I didn’t realize the sheer extent of the fanservice and explaining things that didn’t need explaining.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Unfortunately this is built in to how musicals are developed. What you think is a reasonably finished product can suddenly collapse in the presence of a paying audience, and now you're spending the entire try-out and preview period scrambling to fix as much of the show as you can, which usually means most of the first act gets sorted out and then the show opens before the second act can receive the same amount of attention. Wicked pretty notably spent three months between its San Francisco tryout and its Broadway premiere just doing rewrites, in which time they cut an entire hour off the runtime.

This explains so much, thank you. Specifically makes me think about how Hamilton felt similar: first half ends with a banger, and while the second half was good, it just didn’t hit the same heights.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Nybble posted:

This explains so much, thank you. Specifically makes me think about how Hamilton felt similar: first half ends with a banger, and while the second half was good, it just didn’t hit the same heights.

Agreed, and specifically with Wicked, it explains how the second act feels hacked to pieces.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Day 1, must-see.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I am here for the Tornadzilla movie, predicting it plus Minus One will be the double feature of the year

e: I have been informed that Minus One came out last year :rip: Minus Color then

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It came out last year and this year and it’s going to win an Oscar lmao. You missed it all

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
January was a long year okay

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The breakfast in Twister that Helen Hunt was grossed out by looked pretty fuckin' good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Peccadillo posted:

The breakfast in Twister that Helen Hunt was grossed out by looked pretty fuckin' good

It did, but also maybe not the best kind of breakfast for piling into trucks with everyone and driving as far away from running water as you can.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

You got it backwards dawg. It was bill’s upright sex therapists wife who couldn’t stand it

It was Hellen hunts awesome aunt Meg who made that breakfast

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

You got it backwards dawg. It was bill’s upright sex therapists wife who couldn’t stand it

It was Hellen hunts awesome aunt Meg who made that breakfast

I'll take your word for it. Don't for the love of God tell me Phillip Seymour Hoffman didn't house that poo poo because that's also a memory I have of that movie

E: haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztl0gGVFoK0

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 14, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

This premiered at Sundance a few weeks back and apparently it had the highest number of walkouts of the entire festival, apparently because these bigfoots spend a LOT of time graphically making GBS threads and pissing and loving etc etc which sounds hilarious :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone but Melissa didn’t like it. Which is why she got lost lol

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

well in the first movie, the tornadoes symbolized the trauma of seeing your dad killed by a tornado.

Creature features

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The two main squatches are played by Jesse Eisenberg and Riley Keogh.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trailer looks great - can't wait to see that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrpMRDuPfc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That looks so poo poo.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
So what's the big secret monster going to be? They've already used Ghidrah and Mechagodzilla. Anguirus? Gigan? 1998 Godzilla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Action Jacktion posted:

So what's the big secret monster going to be? They've already used Ghidrah and Mechagodzilla. Anguirus? Gigan? 1998 Godzilla?

Shimu an ice one.