Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

if I like buying codexes for lore and art and less about rules and stats (although I guess that stuff is neat too), are the 10th edition Necron and Mechanicus codexes worth my time when compared to the 9th edition ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

if I like buying codexes for lore and art and less about rules and stats (although I guess that stuff is neat too), are the 10th edition Necron and Mechanicus codexes worth my time when compared to the 9th edition ones?

I can't speak to them specifically but I like to buy the codices for the same reason and I've been progressively more disappointed on that front for a while. I got the Tyranid book and it just doesn't feel like there's a lot there in the way of alternative schemes, modeling, terrain, lore and so on I'm used to older editions putting in there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brainworms, the Owlcat game and disposable income have me finally looking at this Games Workshop Hobby :tm: and I am curious which combat patrol would be best for someone who played Cryx and Khador in Warmachine, and preferred Khador. Just on fluff alone I'm interested in the Mechanicus, and there sure do seem to be a variety of space marines. I don't think I have much of a local scene, though, so I'd probably be doing a lot more 'art project painting' than hitting the tables. Still, who knows?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Nessus posted:

Brainworms, the Owlcat game and disposable income have me finally looking at this Games Workshop Hobby :tm: and I am curious which combat patrol would be best for someone who played Cryx and Khador in Warmachine, and preferred Khador. Just on fluff alone I'm interested in the Mechanicus, and there sure do seem to be a variety of space marines. I don't think I have much of a local scene, though, so I'd probably be doing a lot more 'art project painting' than hitting the tables. Still, who knows?

Gameplay wise, Drukhari are probably the closest to Cryx in terms of being fast, glass cannons. What aspect of Khador did you enjoy - just the general tankiness, or the hordes of infantry? Armor heavy Astra Militarum can definitely give you that heavy armor, and the faction in general can easily do the infantry swarm soviet feel. If you want a list full of individually hard to kill models, Adeptus Custodes or a Terminator heavy space marine or chaos marine list might be something you'd enjoy. If you're just looking to pick up a Combat Patrol though, I'd think Adeptus Custodes is probably the safest bet if you want to lean in to the Khador man-o-war feeling.

Mechanicus I don't think really fits the bill for either the Cryx or the Khador playstyle but I'd have to defer to someone who owns their new book, I don't know if they still have much in the way of enemy debuffs widely available.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

S.J. posted:

Gameplay wise, Drukhari are probably the closest to Cryx in terms of being fast, glass cannons. What aspect of Khador did you enjoy - just the general tankiness, or the hordes of infantry? Armor heavy Astra Militarum can definitely give you that heavy armor, and the faction in general can easily do the infantry swarm soviet feel. If you want a list full of individually hard to kill models, Adeptus Custodes or a Terminator heavy space marine or chaos marine list might be something you'd enjoy. If you're just looking to pick up a Combat Patrol though, I'd think Adeptus Custodes is probably the safest bet if you want to lean in to the Khador man-o-war feeling.

Mechanicus I don't think really fits the bill for either the Cryx or the Khador playstyle but I'd have to defer to someone who owns their new book, I don't know if they still have much in the way of enemy debuffs widely available.
My centerpiece was a fat unit of the Khador infantry with all the trimmings plus a couple of jacks, so it sounds like the Guard is where to look. It was always fun to rocket/mortar their hella elite unit coming in to do some drat complex thing and then just swarm it and beat it to death. From the OP it sounds like you win by doing your goals rather than just crushing the enemy, though.

In larger armies how easy is it to mix and match out of different lists (if it's permitted at all)?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Nessus posted:

My centerpiece was a fat unit of the Khador infantry with all the trimmings plus a couple of jacks, so it sounds like the Guard is where to look. It was always fun to rocket/mortar their hella elite unit coming in to do some drat complex thing and then just swarm it and beat it to death. From the OP it sounds like you win by doing your goals rather than just crushing the enemy, though.

In larger armies how easy is it to mix and match out of different lists (if it's permitted at all)?

Between entirely different factions? You can use a portion of your points for that, but unless you're doing it for flavor, it's generally not great a lot of the time. Imperial factions have a lot easier time with it because they have so many options though, especially with all the imperial kill teams coming out that get rules for normal 40k, so there are some exceptions. Generally though you can't mix/match outside of your "lore" groupings, ie, Imperials can ally together, Chaos can ally together, etc

And yeah if you want the big brick of infantry plus heavy armor along side, the Guard is where you'll want to be imo

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 13, 2024

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I finally rebased my Leviathan and Redemptor Dreadnoughts for my Iron Warriors. I managed to save most of the work I did from the previous bases (which were made of clay and had mad lip curling) too so I'm even happier. The Redemptor ended up getting a big upgrade design wise and now there's a dead crushed marine under building debris! I'm pretty happy with it, so much in fact that I feel the Leviathan needs a bit more pomp now.

Also I finished basing the Sturmtiger kitbashed tank, including adding mud to the treads and front dozer blade.

I've made some progress on the Capitol Imperialis project as well. I salvaged some side trim from another used tank, made some plasticard panel copies to lengthen the middle sections of the trim, and have turned it into some wheel covers that go along the length of the exposed tread, and I also managed to patch all the holes from cutting away parts of the plastic to get rid of detail that wasn't kosher. I still need to order the weapons due the topside though so that part might take a while. One major thing that needs work is the rear door but I found a plain rhino type door STL that I think will work, but I'll need to rescale it to fit the open space.

I also ended up ordering a box of MKIII marines off ebay. I would like to make a Warpsmith type character with Dark Mechanicum acolytes (avoiding all chaos aesthetic and fully going into AI renegade exploration of course), but I'm not sure what model to use as the base. Maybe that new marine unit with the computer attached at the hip? The Dark Mechanicum acolytes will be kitbashed out of Delaque bodies which I have on hand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

S.J. posted:

Between entirely different factions? You can use a portion of your points for that, but unless you're doing it for flavor, it's generally not great a lot of the time. Imperial factions have a lot easier time with it because they have so many options though, especially with all the imperial kill teams coming out that get rules for normal 40k, so there are some exceptions. Generally though you can't mix/match outside of your "lore" groupings, ie, Imperials can ally together, Chaos can ally together, etc

And yeah if you want the big brick of infantry plus heavy armor along side, the Guard is where you'll want to be imo
Thanks, sounds like a place to start even if I'm probably well away from buying models :cheersdoge:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

OctaMurk posted:

A little bit of an annoying situation in my escalation league -- we are supposed to submit our list at the beginning of the phase, which is to be our list vs all opponents in that phase. Therefore you need to make a take all comers list, right? I message my list to the organizer and print out my list, stats for my opponent and rjn through a summary od what the units are/can do before the game.

Twice now, an opponent -- having seen my whole army and heard what everything can do, has said "oh i forgot to make a list" and then on the spot made their list thinking about what I have. I dont think forget on purpose but even so I think its just not cool

1) Ask the organizer to remind people to be more dilligent
2) "Here's my list, in my hand. Do you have yours? We'll swap papers and look/explain. Oh you don't have it? I'll wait (to unpack)"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The aesthetic might not be exactly the same, but the color scheme is.

Need a new commissar model that doesn't look so drab and boring though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/13/the-big-debate-is-drilling-your-barrels-an-essential-part-of-warhammer-or-a-waste-of-time/

Must be a slow day at GWHQ because they're dipping toes into the second biggest debate of 40k; Do or don't drill your barrels.

The answer is obviously yes. :colbert:

The biggest debate is obviously Steel Legion Drab or Abaddon Black base rims. The answer is obviously Corvus black.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that isnt even a debate. painting barrels looks like rear end and if you are fine with your stuff looking like rear end i guess thats a personal choice lol.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't drill mine because I'm absolute garbage at centering the holes and no hole is better than an off-center one. Or worse, because I play Grey Knights, two uneven holes on every storm bolter. Once I get a barrel gauge that a friend's friend is printing for us, then I will drill but I ain't free handing that poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wouldn't worry too much about uncentered ones, I have seen plenty of those in old White Dwarf issues.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just score 2 lines across the center like a cross lightly with a xacto put your bit in the center, drill then gently sand the end to even the end up.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Off center is a consequence of a much more important question, how big of a drill bit do you use.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah I use my knife to make a tiny starter divot, then drill there.

And lol at "it takes a fraction of the time to paint a tiny, precise dot!" as if it takes years to drill barrels.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I drilled all the barrels on my Boyz, because all the ork guns are super big. Also I drilled the holes in the exhaust pipes of the mega armor too. Haven't done that for the deff koptas/dread, but maybe I should.

I probably wouldn't drill a hole in something as small as a lasgun though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The more pressing question is whether you drill the heavy bolter and lascannon barrels

On your Titanicus Warlords.

Otherwise don't forget to drill out your magwells.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

just score 2 lines across the center like a cross lightly with a xacto put your bit in the center, drill then gently sand the end to even the end up.

I'm going to pinch this because I use the divot method and only get them properly centred about 70% of the time and have to correct it with a milling bit after the fact.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just twirl my knife into barrels and it usually works out. I only cut myself like 2 or 3 times a year.

Insert Khorne joke here

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lostconfused posted:

Off center is a consequence of a much more important question, how big of a drill bit do you use.

the pink one for bolters :haw:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

The aesthetic might not be exactly the same, but the color scheme is.

Need a new commissar model that doesn't look so drab and boring though.
Sadly I sold them or I could just slide in Irusk. Which Guard regiment or whoever is this?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

Sadly I sold them or I could just slide in Irusk. Which Guard regiment or whoever is this?

It's these guys.

Virtual Russian posted:

Vostroyan Sergeant

This might be my best mini yet. This was a great guy to dip my toes into painting the eye, just one eye is fool-proof.

Next up is my Lord Solar conversion, I ended up not adding much detail to this guy. I wanted to give him a ton of medals, Zhukov style, but I couldn't make it work. I think the renaissance knight look suits him well enough.

What I need here is some help deciding how to paint him, specifically his horse's armour. My initial plan was to paint the barding brass, and the chainmail silver, like his armour, but I think that is just going to be too much brass. My worry is that if I paint it all silver/grey metal it will lose a lot of definition. Maybe silver base, and brass accents, keeping the chainmail darker than the rest? That should let the focus remain on the lord solar, without making the horse look like a giant mess of silver or brass. I might paint the horse black, I use black sparingly throughout the army, and I already have so much brown to paint with all the leather.

I'd super appreciate any thoughts on this. I think I have a solid plan, but don't feel 100% about it.

Also ugh, I can still see the "S" in the reins, I hope that is just because of how intense the lighting is, I couldn't see it before I took the picture...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's worth noting that the Vostroyans don't have a plastic kit, so you'd be doing a lot of sculpting or kitbashing work to have an actual army of them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i think i still have a box of firstborn somewhere in my pile of shame.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

weirdly there don't seem to be many good options for 3rd-party Vostroyan heads. shame because just doing a headswap with the Death Korps kill-team would get you 90% of the way there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ball of greenstuff on the head and poke it with tooling until it looks like a ushanka worked for me, i did a commission once for someone who wanted an ork warboss dressed in the vostroyan style but yeah not much off the rack that works just plug and play.. doing a whole IG army that way? i mean thats a ton of work.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cooked Auto posted:

The biggest debate is obviously Steel Legion Drab or Abaddon Black base rims. The answer is obviously Corvus black.

Goblin Green :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
different colors per squad

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

the pink one for bolters :haw:

I have the exact same set and once I managed to get one of them under my nail by accident. I wish I was a slaaneshi degenerate because I really did not enjoy that pain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

different colors per miniature
Fixed that for you.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Fixed that for you.

Welcome to the Deathwatch.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Angry Lobster posted:

I have the exact same set and once I managed to get one of them under my nail by accident. I wish I was a slaaneshi degenerate because I really did not enjoy that pain.

ow.

Xenomrph posted:

Fixed that for you.

heretic

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Welcome to the Deathwatch.

Painting one-off miniatures is uh, very appealing. Too bad about the super busy shoulderpads.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

Painting one-off miniatures is uh, very appealing. Too bad about the super busy shoulderpads.

Painting one and dones is so fun, you can be very creative with it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Gimme busy shoulder pads all day. The busier the better. Honor the Chapter.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I meant the inquisition ones that like end up being half black and half grey from all the metallic lettering on them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
black, gunmetal drybrush and then details it isnt that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

I meant the inquisition ones that like end up being half black and half grey from all the metallic lettering on them.

Yeah these are quite literally the easiest to paint with miniature painting tricks. An immaculately clean pauldron with a simple free handed symbol is a thousand times harder.