Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

This is the content I crave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Olu catching strays

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The line between MHJ and Nabers is there...

But it is fragile.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

This is me being shocked that Doltos isn't 55 years old with a voice engraveled by decades of cigar smoke

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I'll confess that I did a double take the first time I saw a Doltos stream and he was like 20 years younger than I expected :shobon:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

I would take JJ in the Late First if I was a team that wanted him even if I had him as a second round grade

Extra year of control would be nice for someone like him.

He's gonna go top 15. Maybe top 10.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

IcePhoenix posted:

He's gonna go top 15. Maybe top 10.

please god let him go top 10 makes it more likely Odunze/Nabers falls to 9

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

please god let him go top 10 makes it more likely Odunze/Nabers falls to 9

I assume it would be Odunze since I think just about every mock I've seen in the last week has some combination of Caleb/Maye/Daniels/MHJ/Nabers as the top five (usually in that order but there are some curveballs)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really like Trey Benson he's got such quick burst and just runs north. Really good receiving threat out of the backfield too. It's just the injury history that's scary.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thinking about thicc lineman

E: offensive and defensive

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thinking about thicc lineman

E: offensive and defensive

Tyler Guyton

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I want DeJean. Give me the Cornfed, sneaky athlete.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

My updated list of Guys:

Khristian Boyd
Malik Washington
Javon Baker
Isaiah Davis

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Cooper DeJean has all the talent in the world but he's just so inconsistent. He displays all this ability in the run game and then just completely takes plays off or doesn't fight for the tackle at all. He's got all this amazing agility at times but then he just freezes his hips and lets guys break on him constantly. Someone needs to teach him effort.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

I really like Trey Benson he's got such quick burst and just runs north. Really good receiving threat out of the backfield too. It's just the injury history that's scary.

same. I love a few of the Florida State guys. I've already talked about Bell. Benson and Renardo Green both stand out a lot when I watch them. The LSU game is good watching for Green, it's not a perfect game from him but he mostly plasters Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. I like Verse well enough. Not as high on the WR's or Fiske though. Fiske has a motor that's always going and he's a constant annoyance to the OL but that rarely seems to convert to anything meaningful.

Speaking of, Brian Thomas Jr has some real inconsistent effort. He's capable of some impressive stuff. Rare ability for a guy his size at breaking routes and obvious top end speed. He also runs lazy routes and throws the barest token of blocks when he doesn't think the ball is coming his way. Even when he is involved in the play his blocking is often just kinda standing near a guy and hoping for the best. Sometimes he's out there blocking his rear end off or hustling 60 yards down the field. He's got it in him, but for a guy that needs to add of subtlety to his game still I'm kinda off him.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

Cooper DeJean has all the talent in the world but he's just so inconsistent. He displays all this ability in the run game and then just completely takes plays off or doesn't fight for the tackle at all. He's got all this amazing agility at times but then he just freezes his hips and lets guys break on him constantly. Someone needs to teach him effort.

I’m not 100% sold on it being effort over him just not knowing how to read in man-match consistently. Ever since Parker moved them to base quarters and man-match, they’ve been a factory for long, slower corners that essentially are guaranteed to make nfl rosters as safeties in the worst case since they drop and break on most downs. Dejean is like dropping a guy who plays like Deangelo Hall into that where he loves to gamble and try to guess as opposed to just reacting in the structure. He’s too dynamic to coverage to not have out there since he’s a legitimate scoring threat, but you consistently have to shade your other DBs towards preparing for him to freelance.

Nwankpa on that defense is a future star at safety too—consistently bailed out Dejean and others on the bad plays which is really hard to do in quarters when an outside corner isn’t supposed to have help in exchange for having a narrower zone to have to carry upfield.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

I’m not 100% sold on it being effort over him just not knowing how to read in man-match consistently. Ever since Parker moved them to base quarters and man-match, they’ve been a factory for long, slower corners that essentially are guaranteed to make nfl rosters as safeties in the worst case since they drop and break on most downs. Dejean is like dropping a guy who plays like Deangelo Hall into that where he loves to gamble and try to guess as opposed to just reacting in the structure. He’s too dynamic to coverage to not have out there since he’s a legitimate scoring threat, but you consistently have to shade your other DBs towards preparing for him to freelance.

Nwankpa on that defense is a future star at safety too—consistently bailed out Dejean and others on the bad plays which is really hard to do in quarters when an outside corner isn’t supposed to have help in exchange for having a narrower zone to have to carry upfield.

Yeah they also have a guy named Jermari Harris who stands out as a way better tackler but he's old and bad injury history. There are way better tacklers across the board on that defense that actually get up into the wash and make a play while DeJean sits and watches. I don't disagree with the DeAngelo Hall comp and remember also being frustrated with how Hall would handle routes that broke away from him. Ball hawks that keep their body open to the play are great but it kills them on routes that they should be easily picking up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

With such a glut of talent from the big schools coming out at WR, are there any smaller school or under the radar guys coming out this year who'll surprise people after falling below where they normally would?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BlindSite posted:

With such a glut of talent from the big schools coming out at WR, are there any smaller school or under the radar guys coming out this year who'll surprise people after falling below where they normally would?

Holy Cross is the only one I watched for C.J. Hanson and Jalen Coker. Coker is a good high pointer and big body threat plus he looks pretty athletic and C.J. Hanson is a zone blocking guard that looks solid too. There's some decent angles of them in the Boston College game but everything else is bad D2 sideline angle.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Who are the cornerback prospects who are most likely going on Day 2? I have a feeling that the Giants will be looking to add to the secondary given that Adoree’ Jackson will be leaving in free agency. No clue as to what Shane Bowen will want in a CB but it would nice to know

Day 2 OLB and edge players would also be nice to know about.

I appreciate the tape watchers in this thread

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://x.com/TheDestinAdams/status/1757868993900089413

:sickos:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Propaganda: North Korea tier

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Malik Washington

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

does anyone else remember when, around the same time before the draft as now, a bunch of teams supposedly were super high on Brett Smith from Wyoming

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Calling smoke screen

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I still just don't see JJ going before the 3rd.

Also thanks for the recs for the small school guys to look into.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What are your personal weird rules of thumb for scouting/the draft?

I've been really into basketball prospect scouting and I have a handful of principles that are sacred to me, but most don't know about or just don't care about them.

Do you guys have any personal tests you use, or weirdly specific lines you won't cross?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I would be shocked if JJ didn't go in the 1st round.

Like Legitimately shocked. I think the top 10 thing is blowing smoke obviously, maybe like the Chargers/Falcons/Bears trying to bait teams into trading up for him or something dumb.

But I do see some team taking him if he does fall into the 20s.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Dexo posted:

I would be shocked if JJ didn't go in the 1st round.

Like Legitimately shocked. I think the top 10 thing is blowing smoke obviously, maybe like the Chargers/Falcons/Bears trying to bait teams into trading up for him or something dumb.

But I do see some team taking him if he does fall into the 20s.

I could see him going in the first round whether he's deserving of it or not, but I think if he slips past 20 he's slipping to day 2. The Steelers are pretty much the last team in the order who could draft him without creating major friction in the locker room - even teams looking to trade up for him can probably afford to wait for the second round.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

I could see him going in the first round whether he's deserving of it or not, but I think if he slips past 20 he's slipping to day 2. The Steelers are pretty much the last team in the order who could draft him without creating major friction in the locker room - even teams looking to trade up for him can probably afford to wait for the second round.

JJ is someone who if I was willing to take him in the early parts of Day 2, I would try to trade up into Day 1 to take him, since I'd plan on burning one year, and would want the 5th year option.

Also you could probably try and finesse a trade back and pick him if it does look like he's falling that far.

I mean Rams at 19 make a decent amount of sense.

Arizona if I squint, could probably get away with it. Although they have so many other needs I wouldn't do it

Seahawks perhaps.

Buccaneers maybe if something weird happens with Baker.

Pending Free Agency, or other aggressive trades I really don't see him falling past the Vikings/Saints/Oakland/Broncos

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 15, 2024

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dexo posted:

JJ is someone who if I was willing to take him in the early parts of Day 2, I would try to trade up into Day 1 to take him, since I'd plan on burning one year, and would want the 5th year option.

Also you could probably try and finesse a trade back and pick him if it does look like he's falling that far.

I mean Rams at 19 make a decent amount of sense.

Arizona if I squint, could probably get away with it. Although they have so many other needs I wouldn't do it

Seahawks perhaps.

Buccaneers maybe if something weird happens with Baker.

Pending Free Agency, or other aggressive trades I really don't see him falling past the Vikings/Saints/Oakland/Broncos

QBs don’t go in the second half of the 1st round all that often and when they do they’re pretty invariably a bad pick. I think most teams prefer to take a flyer on a guy in round 2 or 3 once they’ve already missed out on the top tier prospects. Teams are desperate but 2022 showed that they won’t take a guy in the first just to take a guy, they have to actually like their tape and see 1st round value.

I think the relatively poor performance of the 2021 class is also going to carry weight here. Who is lining up to take the next Mac Jones?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

0.000001% chance that Arizona or LA (Rams) draft JJ.

Arizona has Kyler who is very good and also young-ish. They have extra draft capital and an opportunity to get one of the best wr prospects in recent history. They are in a prime position to really boost their offensive talent in one offseason.

Rams made the playoffs with a roster full of UDFAs and late rounders. Matt Stafford still has it. Matt was playing at an elite level and his only issue is health. Their main offensive issue is offensive line and this draft is chock full of talent.

Both teams have great qbs, both teams have decent draft capital, and both teams are expected to have a lot of free agency cap space.

JJ ain’t going to either of them.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I could maybe yeah see the Bucs taking JJ. Maybe.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Two of the last 3 were hits, you've got Pickett in '22, then Love in '20 and Lamar in '18. If we expand the cutoff to be unkind to ourselves, you add in Mac Jones and Dwayne Haskins as 15th picks in '21 and '19 though.

However before that it's a true wasteland, with a sea of suck until you go back to Flacco in '08.

So really, maybe only the Packers and Ravens should pick QB's in the 2nd half of the first.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I could maybe yeah see the Bucs taking JJ. Maybe.

The Bucs would make sense. So would the Cowboys if they didn't trade for Lance last year. I think the market for McCarthy is pretty limited because he'd need everything to go right. That makes me half jokingly suggest SF!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Quinton Mitchell is gonna be really, really good.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Unless the Rams know going into the draft that Stafford is retiring after next year, burning a mid-first on McCarthy would be borderline organizational malpractice

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

0.000001% chance that Arizona or LA (Rams) draft JJ.

Arizona has Kyler who is very good and also young-ish. They have extra draft capital and an opportunity to get one of the best wr prospects in recent history. They are in a prime position to really boost their offensive talent in one offseason.

Rams made the playoffs with a roster full of UDFAs and late rounders. Matt Stafford still has it. Matt was playing at an elite level and his only issue is health. Their main offensive issue is offensive line and this draft is chock full of talent.

Both teams have great qbs, both teams have decent draft capital, and both teams are expected to have a lot of free agency cap space.

JJ ain’t going to either of them.

Rams would be a Stafford succession plan.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dexo posted:

Rams would be a Stafford succession plan.

Yeah, that'd actually make a lot of sense and would probably be to his benefit. Learning under both Stafford and Sean McVay seems like an ideal landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

BlindSite posted:

Seattle ESPN radio is already manufacturing consent for JJ at 16. I personally would hate it for the start of the post Pete era