Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
There was a heavily used pedestrian underpass here that served as a vital pedestrian/biking connection on a street that's basically impossible to cross because of heavy traffic that goes 60 miles per hour. It's pretty beat up and hasn't been repaired in awhile but was still functional.

Locals have been calling for it to be fixed for sometime to make the crossing safer for people. Last week the state transportation agency decided to fix it. How you ask? By completely filling in the tunnel with concrete and telling people to just cross the street.

There's no pedestrian markings, no cross walk signals, and multiple signs that indicate that pedestrians shouldn't cross there since it's so dangerous. It breaks my heart that people are going to get flattened by drivers trying to catch the bus or ride their bike and everyone's going to act surprised when it happens. America once again proves it is a demon cracker hell hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Beached Whale posted:

There was a heavily used pedestrian underpass here that served as a vital pedestrian/biking connection on a street that's basically impossible to cross because of heavy traffic that goes 60 miles per hour. It's pretty beat up and hasn't been repaired in awhile but was still functional.

Locals have been calling for it to be fixed for sometime to make the crossing safer for people. Last week the state transportation agency decided to fix it. How you ask? By completely filling in the tunnel with concrete and telling people to just cross the street.

There's no pedestrian markings, no cross walk signals, and multiple signs that indicate that pedestrians shouldn't cross there since it's so dangerous. It breaks my heart that people are going to get flattened by drivers trying to catch the bus or ride their bike and everyone's going to act surprised when it happens. America once again proves it is a demon cracker hell hole.

Lmfao amazing, city governments ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
need to contact your local Hamas representative to re-dig that tunnel

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I was visiting family in New Jersey and there were some kids trying to cross a major stroad without a cross walk which thankfully brought traffic to a halt so they could cross. I asked where the closest crossing was and a little over a mile away was the answer. pretty hosed up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Took a train to the Penn/NJ border and biked along a canal tow-path for like 3 hours, ate at a restaurant and then took the train back home.

It was lovely.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Weka posted:

Do you hate other entire groups of people because of the actions of some of their members?

Yes. fascists

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Weka posted:

Do you hate other entire groups of people because of the actions of some of their members?

i hate all europeans

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

I was visiting family in New Jersey and there were some kids trying to cross a major stroad without a cross walk which thankfully brought traffic to a halt so they could cross. I asked where the closest crossing was and a little over a mile away was the answer. pretty hosed up.
It's the ped-hostile design literally kills all the time and no one in charge GAF.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Peanut President posted:

i hate all europeans

What the gently caress is their problem, right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Weka posted:

The actions that define the group are the reason we hate them, HTH

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Took a train to the Penn/NJ border and biked along a canal tow-path for like 3 hours, ate at a restaurant and then took the train back home.

It was lovely.

amazing

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

actionjackson posted:

there was a dodge charger (lol) behind me, and those red lights you see are actually animated, going back in forth

having animated non white/amber lights visible in front is a felony in a bunch of states. like its technically a felony to have a night rider car in new jersey. this guy will probably get pulled over at some point (then the cop will high five him)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

actionjackson posted:

there was a dodge charger (lol) behind me, and those red lights you see are actually animated, going back in forth

that's a challenger not a charger

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
a few months ago I was driving down the freeway and some dude in a pickup had bright white LEDs blasting directly behind him from under his rear bumper.

I presume it is some kind of work truck thing and he messed up a wire or a switch but holy poo poo it was dangerous.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

that's a challenger not a charger

i challenge that driver to "be more courteous to your fellow motorists"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

a few months ago I was driving down the freeway and some dude in a pickup had bright white LEDs blasting directly behind him from under his rear bumper.

I presume it is some kind of work truck thing and he messed up a wire or a switch but holy poo poo it was dangerous.

It is not, it is an obnoxious aftermarket add on that's showing up everywhere because no one enforces laws anymore

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It is not, it is an obnoxious aftermarket add on that's showing up everywhere because no one enforces laws anymore

some of those who hang truck nuts
are the same who eat doughnuts

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DOd4RLNeT4

Pretty dece video, guy adds open source AI to his car and comes to the conclusion that FSD is bullshit and useless. Also he doesn't love the car. And then he basically suggests reinventing the train.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, so now you want laws enforced? ho ho ho,

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

someone in a F150 was tailgating me yesterday in the rain/fog for like 5 miles because I was going 5-10mph over which was inadequate for them. in addition to the brightest headlights I had ever seen, any of their six aftermarket lights they had under each bumper and all four wheel wells would probably provide enough illumination by itself to drive with.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

kreeningsons posted:

someone in a F150 was tailgating me yesterday in the rain/fog for like 5 miles because I was going 5-10mph over which was inadequate for them. in addition to the brightest headlights I had ever seen, any of their six aftermarket lights they had under each bumper and all four wheel wells would probably provide enough illumination by itself to drive with.

maybe if your car had better lights too you could handle the rain and fog better 👍

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

try not driving over the speed limit in wet, foggy conditions... just my $.02

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's unsafe, you should try to go the limit or lower under non-ideal conditions

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's unsafe, you should try to go the limit or lower under non-ideal conditions

this

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

it's unsafe, you should try to go the limit or lower under non-ideal all and all conditions

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Counterpoint, speed limits are often political decisions that have nothing to do with road safety limits.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Counterpoint, speed limits are often political decisions that have nothing to do with road safety limits.

idc i'm still gonna go the limit or below

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I love speeding and traffic cops, unlike those carbrained chuds in their pickup trucks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
couldn't you also mount a really powerful light on a bike

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

couldn't you also mount a really powerful light on a bike

the driver will hit you and claim they couldn't see because of the blinding light and get off, OP

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Politics?? In a sector that sees thousands of people killed every year? Huge if true.

Here's an idea: maybe driving with an large margin of safety is fine, or good even. You don't need to be driving at the limit of safety like some wannabe F1 driver.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol at trusting our government to decide proper safety regulations

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol at trusting our government to decide proper safety regulations

i just don't want to hurt myself or anyone else so i try to drive as safely as possible

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ah but if you just drove recklessly you could arrive at your destination 56 seconds sooner, had you thought about that?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

idc i'm still gonna go the limit or below

Seems like it would be better to choose a safe speed regardless of an arbitrary sign based on the lobbying of local karens or traffic cops that want to extort people.

If you’re lucky enough to live in a jurisdiction where speed limits are set by apolitical panels of traffic engineers, then follow posted limits for sure.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Speeding ftw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seems like it would be better to choose a safe speed regardless of an arbitrary sign based on the lobbying of local karens or traffic cops that want to extort people.

If you’re lucky enough to live in a jurisdiction where speed limits are set by apolitical panels of traffic engineers, then follow posted limits for sure.

lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Apr 7, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This argument might make sense if they pulled anyone over here and ticketed them. They do not. Cops don't pay attention unless you crash.

The local social media consensus is that we should set speed limits for "high skill drivers, and not for the lowest skill drivers on the road." This is an absolutely insane statement that sounds like they think they're playing Gran Turismo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, they're pretty universally way too loving high.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Apolitical traffic engineers," a thing that definitely exists.