Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Joint Training was only 20ish chapters. Fake Kurakara town was something like 150. By shonen standard, MHA has pretty dang short arcs.

MHA is the only "modern" shounen I follow, but I've heard the old style Namek Saga, Chunin Exams Arc, FKT Arc, etc. formula isn't as popular now. They're all nice and brisk like MHA.

The only similarly fast long-running shounen I remember back then was Inuyasha. IY might run in Place a lot, but its arcs were all very short compared to Naruto and them.

But yeah, I think I'd rather go through any arc in MHA again over any arc in Bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, I think I'd rather go through any arc in MHA again over any arc in Bleach.

This is how you know bleach is peak.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

NikkolasKing posted:

MHA is the only "modern" shounen I follow, but I've heard the old style Namek Saga, Chunin Exams Arc, FKT Arc, etc. formula isn't as popular now. They're all nice and brisk like MHA.

The only similarly fast long-running shounen I remember back then was Inuyasha. IY might run in Place a lot, but its arcs were all very short compared to Naruto and them.

Which one is the FKT arc?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Fake Karakura Town in Bleach. Don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen/read Bleach, but it went on forever and a lot of things I was excited to see explained ended up being explained in pretty unsatisfying ways.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
In Naruto the Fourth Ninja War was literally 1/3rd of the manga

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bleach is one of those series where I deeply appreciate it and genuinely love aspects of it more than I love those same aspects from my actual favorite manga, but look at large swaths of the actual manga and think "Man, that sucked rear end"

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This is incredibly anecdotal but pretty much everyone I knew who was into the series just kind of lost interest during the period around Joint Training and wandered off.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Blue Lock which is the #1 (sports) shonen (by sales) right now, still has very long-running arcs. The Neo Egotist League arc is just over 100 chapters long now.

I've been meaning to get around to getting into Jujutsu Kaisen but haven't yet, is it similarly brisk like MHA?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Even moreso. JJK is ending this year and it's on chapter 250, so it's closer to a Demon Slayer than a Naruto or Bleach.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They don't make 'em as long as Naruto or Bleach anymore and thank god

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

dead give away

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's the one where Ichigo gets involved with high-stakes Rock Paper Scissors gambling.

Wait, my mistake. That's the FKMT arc.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

They don't make 'em as long as Naruto or Bleach anymore and thank god

They still make em as long as one piece tho

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

They still make em as long as one piece tho

Detective Conan is another super long one that’s still going to my knowledge

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One Piece and Conan are grandfathered into running that long.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At this point shouldn't Conan be like twice the age he started out as before he got turned into a kid?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

At this point shouldn't Conan be like twice the age he started out as before he got turned into a kid?

The whole series happens within one very busy year. Don't worry about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece and Conan are grandfathered into running that long.

The anime too but I was talking about the manga that’s also still going (speaking of, is the latter even anywhere close to a conclusion at this point?)

Hell, the Conan anime is one of the few that still does filler arcs

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Detective Conan is a case of the week procedural crime drama where the procedure is kanji riddles, and you're not really expected to be following it for the conclusion of the framing device plot, even if you do get a step of progression to it per year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gruckles posted:

Detective Conan is a case of the week procedural crime drama where the procedure is kanji riddles, and you're not really expected to be following it for the conclusion of the framing device plot, even if you do get a step of progression to it per year.

Fair point (which is why even the filler isn’t that annoying since it’s basically just more of the same). Let me rephrase that then, has the author said anything about a planned endpoint as of late?

Also on the topic of long running shows, Doraemon is still going in animated form despite its manga ending decades ago

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How many locked room mysteries have been solved by Conan? I guess at least 200

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Larryb posted:

Fair point (which is why even the filler isn’t that annoying since it’s basically just more of the same). Let me rephrase that then, has the author said anything about a planned endpoint as of late?

Also on the topic of long running shows, Doraemon is still going in animated form despite its manga ending decades ago

IIRC Aoyama has said previously he has the series' conclusion drafted and locked in a safe, so that his assistants can do a send-off if something happens to him before he does it himself. I don't think there's been any recent statement of a planned timeframe or anything though.
The story is currently at a point where it could pretty much be cleanly wrapped up at any moment if desired. Prototype cures to the childfication have been developed, boss and second-in-command of the evil organization have been revealed, romance subplots have all moved firmly into officially dating instead of timidly dancing around the subject, etc.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am extremely amused by Detective Conan, because I am pretty sure that enough people were murdered in his vicinity to fill a moderately large town. Someone should probably perform an exorcism on that poor boy, just to be sure. (To be fair, this applies to pretty much every long-running episodic detective series, no matter the medium, but it's still funny. :allears:)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gruckles posted:

IIRC Aoyama has said previously he has the series' conclusion drafted and locked in a safe, so that his assistants can do a send-off if something happens to him before he does it himself. I don't think there's been any recent statement of a planned timeframe or anything though.
The story is currently at a point where it could pretty much be cleanly wrapped up at any moment if desired. Prototype cures to the childfication have been developed, boss and second-in-command of the evil organization have been revealed, romance subplots have all moved firmly into officially dating instead of timidly dancing around the subject, etc.

I’m still slowly working my way through it myself. Have Ran or any of the other core cast figured out Conan’s identity yet?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am extremely amused by Detective Conan, because I am pretty sure that enough people were murdered in his vicinity to fill a moderately large town. Someone should probably perform an exorcism on that poor boy, just to be sure. (To be fair, this applies to pretty much every long-running episodic detective series, no matter the medium, but it's still funny. :allears:)

See, Columbo is a detective, so relatively few murders happen after he arrives. Not none, but far fewer. Mostly he just shows up a bit later to catch the guy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

There is a spin off Detective Conan: The Culprit Hanzawa that goes into the concept about how many murders keep happening. Also the rent in the city is very cheap cause of all the murders.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

See, Columbo is a detective, so relatively few murders happen after he arrives. Not none, but far fewer. Mostly he just shows up a bit later to catch the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us_cNZbUAhA an all timer

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Detective Conan is another super long one that’s still going to my knowledge

There's also Hajime no Ippo

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

I’m still slowly working my way through it myself. Have Ran or any of the other core cast figured out Conan’s identity yet?

Ran has not figured it out, but there are a few who are privy to that secret.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

It works on Simpsons and Sonic rules

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7667/my-hero-academia-chapter-414

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Deku can save him by getting him to ingest some of Deku's DNA" is setting up a billion fanfics about Deku saving him with a kiss.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

"Deku can save him by getting him to ingest some of Deku's DNA" is setting up a billion fanfics about Deku saving him with a kiss.

Alternatively, could he spit in Shigaraki's eye and transfer it?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The two greatest heroes who ever lived, Baby Exploder and AIDS Giver.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ryaomon posted:

The two greatest heroes who ever lived, Baby Exploder and AIDS Giver.

I'm pretty sure those are characters from The Boys

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-414/chapter/41630?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020083

Memory Dabi, you are in no position to be calling someone gross.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's really nice having a fight where there's shrewdness and cleverness being used instead of just punch harder.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yes, but at the same time, I do have an irrational hatred of that thing where they flashback to what just happened to explain it, even with the admittedly cute, simplfied diagram.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Deku wins the fight by popping a pimple directly into Shiggy’s mouth.

Pus Ultra

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Found All Might's daily driver:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Alternatively, could he spit in Shigaraki's eye and transfer it?

another jump comic already used that this week unfortunately