Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The showings for this one were pretty consistently packed tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

it is with a heavy heart that I must report Out of Darkness is not particularly good. solid 2.5/5, great first film, but not singularly great itself.

quote:

An absolute triumph of a first feature, Andrew Cumming definitely has my attention for his next piece.

But as a standalone feature, it can't justify itself. It's too long and too little happens. There are maybe 3 plot points in the utterly bloated runtime; they should've found an editor who killed their actual children as practice for what this movie needed.

Suffers from the most cases of fridge logic of any movie I've seen in a long time. Where are the lights in the cave from? How are they being overpowered by the monster? What was their plan once they established a settlement? Are the husband and wife of this new world really named Ad(a)m and Ev(e)? There isn't an :rolleyes: big enough.

The literal Futurama ending left me feeling pretty sour, despite the intense performances and the gorgeous Scottish vistas.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2024

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

it is with a heavy heart that I must report Out of Darkness is not particularly good. solid 2.5/5, great first film, but not singularly great itself.

Disappointed to hear this. Did they leave room for a sequel?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Disappointed to hear this. Did they leave room for a sequel?
why would you want one after that ending? I will definitely line up for Cummings' next film, he's got some cool ideas, but this was just bleg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think they know what the ending is

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I rewatched X this weekend. Still kicks rear end and there are some small bits that have a bit more meaning after seeing Pearl, too.

I still go with House of the Devil as my favorite Ti West movie but X is real close and is probably, objectively, the "better" movie in a lot of ways.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah I watched X recently and was surprised. I hated Ti West's earlier stuff with the Innkeepers and all the direct to dvd movies he made so I was blowing this one off.

drat good acting across the board. Jenny Ortega discovering the body is top 10 facial acting. Kid Cudi, Britney Snow, and Martin Henderson were all great too. Mia Goth as Maxine wasn't great but when she acted as Pearl it was an impressive switch. She's a bit of an overactor and her inflection kills me sometimes but it was pretty decent. I watched the Dead Meat episode on it after and didn't realize at all that they foreshadowed every death but on reflection it was solid and not forced in there like other horror directors that shall rename nameless because people worship him.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Are the husband and wife of this new world really named Ad(a)m and Ev(e)?

That would have been a little clunky, sure, but by the end they're very much not

I feel like they fleshed out Adem and his band enough that the lack of any sort of plan on their part other than "this land will be bountiful and Adem will get everything he wants" felt pretty natural. Dialogue makes it clear that their tribe was in dire straits anyway, he fled with a handful of people and some of what would already have been short supplies, he hosed up and landed in Bleakness: The Country, and he was on the back foot the entire time they were there.

Honestly I think that mostly went the way I was expecting it to, once I realized that at "45000 years" Neanderthals were on the table. Wasn't expecting quite that bleak of an ending but I suppose "man's inhumanity to man" is as good a theme as any. I'm interested to see what archaeologists and anthropologists think about how the setting was handled.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Good 80s horror that's just chill

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Yeah I watched X recently and was surprised. I hated Ti West's earlier stuff with the Innkeepers and all the direct to dvd movies he made so I was blowing this one off.

drat good acting across the board. Jenny Ortega discovering the body is top 10 facial acting. Kid Cudi, Britney Snow, and Martin Henderson were all great too. Mia Goth as Maxine wasn't great but when she acted as Pearl it was an impressive switch. She's a bit of an overactor and her inflection kills me sometimes but it was pretty decent. I watched the Dead Meat episode on it after and didn't realize at all that they foreshadowed every death but on reflection it was solid and not forced in there like other horror directors that shall rename nameless because people worship him.

please, terrible opinions are valued here. continue

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising posted:

please, terrible opinions are valued here. continue

Ari Aster's foreshadowing is hamfisted and worthless to the story. People should ask why Florence Pugh's character has a bear painting above her bed, not that it was there. It's lazy and bad.

Also I'm glad your team played horrible and lost the Super Bowl on their own merit

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The Fog

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Ti West is a very stylish director who excels at nailing whatever era/sub-genre he wants to evoke, but until X/Pearl the only film of his that really came together for me was The House of the Devil, which I just love and may still be my favorite. But X/Pearl was the first time his movies had really excellent character writing, especially put over the top by having Mia Goth partner up with him for the screenplay for Pearl. I can pretty much take or leave the rest. I've seen The Sacrament (found footage Jonestown), In the Valley of Violence (an OK Western) and The Innkeepers (I remember nothing about this film).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

Ti West is a very stylish director who excels at nailing whatever era/sub-genre he wants to evoke, but until X/Pearl the only film of his that really came together for me was The House of the Devil, which I just love and may still be my favorite. But X/Pearl was the first time his movies had really excellent character writing, especially put over the top by having Mia Goth partner up with him for the screenplay for Pearl. I can pretty much take or leave the rest. I've seen The Sacrament (found footage Jonestown), In the Valley of Violence (an OK Western) and The Innkeepers (I remember nothing about this film).

this is pretty much where i'm at too. House of the Devil kind of was setup to succeed as soon as it cast Tom Noonan

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Crescent Wrench posted:

House of the Devil was a solid film and I love the brutal pistol kill that sets the tone for that movie. The main actress, Jocelin Donahue, got more work in Dr. Sleep but she was also in a pretty decent FMV game called Immortality.

The Innkeepers was a borefest that didn't age well at all. The two main characters talk in l33t speak and are pretty annoying/bland. He also spent way too much time developing the characters because the film is about a hotel ghost that I don't think would be that scary if it was shown for the majority of the film. You can see shades of the methodical developing in X which is done much better. Definitely a director that's trending up through his career.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

House of the Devil was a solid film and I love the brutal pistol kill that sets the tone for that movie.

I was watching the movie with my family and my dad got up to run to the kitchen about 10 seconds before that was about to happen and I had to frantically pause. "No, I'll be right back, you can just let it play." "Uhhhh no, I uhhh... I need to take a break too?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Football is over and if you're anywhere near me you're preparing to be buried by snow so if you need some horror movies to watch under a comfy blanket or something Bracketology has got ya.

Where’ We’re At:
1. (Samfucius’ I Ain't Never Seen This Before) Kyle Edward Ball’s Skinamarink vs. 8. (Goat’s Lewton Bus) Mark Robson’s The Seventh Victim vs. 9. Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Pulse
7. (Goat’s Bracketology Redux) Steve Beck’s Thir13en Ghosts vs. 15. (Darth’s Team Fresh Styles) Bigas Luna’s Anguish

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Feb 19th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
Elvira's 16 Seed Play In: Team Drowning in Atmosphere vs. The Return of the Bride of the Remake's Ghost! vs. Undying Love
Elvira's 15 Seed Play In: M. Night Shyamalan vs. Life affirming Austrians vs. Álex de la Iglesia

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Ari Aster's foreshadowing is hamfisted and worthless to the story. People should ask why Florence Pugh's character has a bear painting above her bed, not that it was there. It's lazy and bad.

Also I'm glad your team played horrible and lost the Super Bowl on their own merit

how rude

i don't like ari aster at all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ari aster owns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't get more chill than The Thing.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Doesn't get more chill than The Thing.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Doltos posted:

House of the Devil was a solid film and I love the brutal pistol kill that sets the tone for that movie. The main actress, Jocelin Donahue, got more work in Dr. Sleep but she was also in a pretty decent FMV game called Immortality.

The Innkeepers was a borefest that didn't age well at all. The two main characters talk in l33t speak and are pretty annoying/bland. He also spent way too much time developing the characters because the film is about a hotel ghost that I don't think would be that scary if it was shown for the majority of the film. You can see shades of the methodical developing in X which is done much better. Definitely a director that's trending up through his career.

Innkeepers was hyped up for me a lot before I saw it and it didn't really live up to they hype. I enjoyed the setting and the characters quite a bit, but it was a lotta buildup for a payoff that kinda fell flat for me.

I also watched The Roost at some point, I didn't really dig the main story BUT I loved the framing device of Tom Noonan being a horror movie host who actually lives in some kind of haunted castle and has a 'master' that shows up at the end. I feel like that framing device has legs, I actually wouldn't mind him revisiting this at some point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's called Chiller, not Chillest. Checkmate.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I preferred Innkeepers over House of the Devil mostly because the characters were so well done, and they worked incredibly well off each other through the entire flick. HotD was a good skeleton of a movie, but it was the opposite of Innkeepers, the characters had nothing to them, so they weren't really captivating. That's usually not an issue, but when the movie is such a slow burn, you gotta do something. The payoff in HotD was better than Innkeepers, but the characters won me over in Innkeepers along with the build up of mystery and dread that was also well done.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought Innkeepers had a few good moments, the ghost in the bed was pretty great, but all the shock cuts, especially near the end, were pretty awful.

Less of a vibe than HotD, and vibes are that movie's whole thing so it ends up kinda paltry without that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think for me the boost that Tom Noonan gives to House of the Devil is what elevates it over The Innkeepers. And I know he's not even in the movie all that much but Innkeepers just doesn't have anything that can match up with Noonan's presence.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's true, Noonan's fuckin GOAT and adds an incredible presence to anything he's in.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jedit posted:

It's called Chiller, not Chillest. Checkmate.

to be Chiller, there must be a Thing you are more chill than.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore) is officially on Shudder today

Also there today: The Psychic, Vamp, and Bad Girl Boogey

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's true, Noonan's fuckin GOAT and adds an incredible presence to anything he's in.

I thought Anomalisa was a relatively weak effort from Charlie Kaufman, but Tom Noonan was an inspired choice to be the uniform speaking voice of everyone in the world.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore) is officially on Shudder today

strong contender for best horror film of the '90s

Chris James 2 posted:

Also there today: The Psychic

could this be the best Fulci giallo? are Fulci's giallos overall stronger than Argento's? food for thought

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Out of Darkness was mediocre. It was mostly boring in that the director doesn't seem to understand if you try to maintain tension too long it just dissipates. Scenes of the characters surrounded by darkness and noises going on for 5+ minutes at a time.

The theater had about 8 people in it. Two left around the midpoint out of what I assume was boredom. One person left immediately at the twist, which was quite dumb.

I was really excited about Paleolithic horror, but this ain't it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I kinda hate when a movie teases that there might be a supernatural or weird element to it and then comes in with a relatively grounded answer. I can't really list examples here without it being spoilers but I'm at the point where if I think it might happen and I'm at all on the fence about seeing a movie I'll look up the ending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DeimosRising posted:

how rude

i don't like ari aster at all

Ditto.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I kinda hate when a movie teases that there might be a supernatural or weird element to it and then comes in with a relatively grounded answer. I can't really list examples here without it being spoilers but I'm at the point where if I think it might happen and I'm at all on the fence about seeing a movie I'll look up the ending.

I’m trying to think of examples but my brain is fixed firmly on Scooby Doo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg is often described as a Scooby Doo movie.

I guess that's a spoiler but oh well, the movie is 60 years old.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I like X and Pearl, but my favorite Ti West movie is when he gets skulled by an arrow in You're Next.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg is often described as a Scooby Doo movie.

I guess that's a spoiler but oh well, the movie is 60 years old.

that movie kicks rear end. Peter Cushing and Oliver Reed as pirates!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's fairly common in 50s/early 60s stuff. House on Haunted Hill is my favorite of these because yeah, we want ghosts, but instead we get Vincent Price being an amazing prankster and that's just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

SPOILERS for two movies

The Boy
Housebound

I generally get annoyed at this trope too, but I actually liked both of these movies.