Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think what might trip people up is from Mission 54 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbXa6K-bnbg&t=25s

Quick transcript --

Snail fighting 621

Snail: <sigh> So much for your education. What a wasted effort that was -- yet another idiotic call by my superiors.
Snail: Still clinging on are you? Old augmentation at its worst. All you know is to chase your master's prize. He was just as bad, you know. Recalcitrant to the last.

So if you don't specifically know about the factory, you would just logically conclude Walter's re-education went the distance. Although even if you know about the Factory, you can possibly conclude either way (like I said, I think he did get chopped). But I think this is the only definitive line about Walter that I remember in the whole late game that doesn't come from Walter himself in his fight.

Anyway that's all I got. I don't really care about AI themes in this game but I did care about what happened to various characters.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The HAL core does say it has very little room for a pilot.

Which would suggest that Walter is just a torso strapped in. I just never understood why Arcubus would send him off in a highly experimental AC in the first place.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Strawberry Panda posted:

Why are you so antagonistic to someone spending time to extrapolate on the plot?

Apologies, I was a bit tense over something unrelated and I see my lack of enthusiasm over picking apart someone else's unpacking of the plot came off as overly aggressive.

Getting to the core of it, I do agree Walter was possibly a torso hooked into the HAL, but the important part is more the Factory is where they send cases that are resistant to brainwashing + have useful combat skills, and how do you control someone for whom brainwashing isn't working? Since neural implants (augmentation surgery) are the go-to for improving pilot performance, my read is he's got the two-for-one with his brain scrambled by cyberware that also involves coral, else he wouldn't be able to pick up Ayre's signal otherwise.

How much of his other bits he's still got attached is open to speculation, but we know the HAL can be piloted without necessarily being a brain in a jar, and similarly that brains in jars isn't specifically what they do at the Factory - that's just one project they're experimenting with.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Conspiratiorist posted:

Apologies, I was a bit tense over something unrelated and I see my lack of enthusiasm over picking apart someone else's unpacking of the plot came off as overly aggressive.

Getting to the core of it, I do agree Walter was possibly a torso hooked into the HAL, but the important part is more the Factory is where they send cases that are resistant to brainwashing + have useful combat skills, and how do you control someone for whom brainwashing isn't working? Since neural implants (augmentation surgery) are the go-to for improving pilot performance, my read is he's got the two-for-one with his brain scrambled by cyberware that also involves coral, else he wouldn't be able to pick up Ayre's signal otherwise.

How much of his other bits he's still got attached is open to speculation, but we know the HAL can be piloted without necessarily being a brain in a jar, and similarly that brains in jars isn't specifically what they do at the Factory - that's just one project they're experimenting with.

It's all good. Wanted to read your take and you provided it now. Thank you!

nopants
May 29, 2004
has anybody ever tried putting an octopus in an octopus mech?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

nopants posted:

https://fzero.fandom.com/wiki/Octoman this guy pilots a high speed race car, a mech would probably be relatively simple

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

nopants posted:

What do you think is piloting the Sea(C) Spider? Coral weapons built like Robotnik trapping critters (and giving them coral augmentation).

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
This game prompted me to watch some gundam series and all these takes are well worn tropes in the series it seems, so my mind was loving blown.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Watch VOTOMS imo.

Bonus Pilebunker.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Everybody's just a brain in a jar, that's why you never see a person outside their mech.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Everybody's just a brain in a jar, that's why you never see a person outside their mech.

The human condition...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Pictured, the protagonist of Armored Core VI:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Alexander is basically a fantasy-setting AC piloted by meat when you think about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pictured, the protagonist of Armored Core VI:

Truth.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

621 being outside of their mech is just Walter scooting the brainjar around on a wheelchair.

Credit where it's due, Walter still takes his hounds out for walkies.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just got to the NG++ STRIDER mission and lol, what is this poo poo?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AlternateNu posted:

A stern request to use explosives

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Foo posted:

A stern request to use explosives

Ha, I guess it makes sense that coral machines don't like flamethrowers or explosions.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

lol yeah. Good times.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

AlternateNu posted:

It's the Catacombs from Dark Souls!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

The real Armored Souls starts here.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's the Catacombs from Dark Souls!

… oh my god it really is.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I like this game but I’ve been playing a super light jumpy twink and not googling anything (though I did converge on some of the cheesier builds on my own) and the difficulty spike on Baltaeus Arquebus had me questioning if I’d made it that far without actually learning to play.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

General Battuta posted:

I like this game but I’ve been playing a super light jumpy twink and not googling anything (though I did converge on some of the cheesier builds on my own) and the difficulty spike on Baltaeus Arquebus had me questioning if I’d made it that far without actually learning to play.

My first trip through the game was that path and I had a harder time fighting it than anything else in the entite game lol.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GodFish posted:

My first trip through the game was that path and I had a harder time fighting it than anything else in the entite game lol.

I came back to fight it postgame, and it still took me, like, eight tries. He's a persistent one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

General Battuta posted:

It's one of the fun (read: challenging) bosses so yeah. The game is overall fairly shy about pushing the player relative to what the mechanics allow, so it's easy to coast through without learning proper EN management, movement tech, or handling DPS/facetime uptime for their loadout.

Wish the stage was faster to replay like FoR final boss.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GodFish posted:

I felt the same way about the final boss on the other path. Having less OS tuning matters a lot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

General Battuta posted:

That fight is where I learned the power of charged pile bunker. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Alrighty. Finished my third playthrough. Guess I gotta go get hunter rank 15 and S all the missions now. Weeeeeeeee.

Also, I'm guessing it was meant to be heavily implied that Iguazu and ALLMIND remember the previous playthroughs? Which at this point in Sci-Fi storytelling seems hackneyed and overused. >_> And doesn't really make sense within the context of the game, though there are probably a dozen other clues implying it. Like how the RLF leaders keep flip flopping on you.

Really makes me wonder what happened to Rusty at the true end. He just kinda survives with no closure after you pretty much finish his job for him?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Same thing happens to Rusty as to everyone else: he becomes an Evangelion

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

Also, I'm guessing it was meant to be heavily implied that Iguazu and ALLMIND remember the previous playthroughs?

Nah, Iguazu is the dominant personality, but you're fighting an amalgamation of AI copies of multiple pilots, most of which Raven killed. That's what he means when he says you killed him and not just once.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah, Iguazu is the dominant personality, but you're fighting an amalgamation of AI copies of multiple pilots, most of which Raven killed. That's what he means when he says you killed him and not just once.

That still doesn't really make sense unless we're claiming ALLMIND copied them at the time of death. And I want to say, in that playthrough, how many named pilots does Raven actually kill? Dolmayan, Flatwell, Snail, Iguazu, Pater, Chartreuse, King, Brute, Rummy, OG Raven, Maeterlinck, Hawkins, Swinburne, Red(maybe). That's like.......ok, that's about half. :v:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

That still doesn't really make sense unless we're claiming ALLMIND copied them at the time of death. And I want to say, in that playthrough, how many named pilots does Raven actually kill? Dolmayan, Flatwell, Snail, Iguazu, Pater, Chartreuse, King, Brute, Rummy, OG Raven, Maeterlinck, Hawkins, Swinburne, Red(maybe). That's like.......ok, that's about half. :v:

My impression is that Allmind is always there for all pilots, even when Raven is not.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Here's a dumb question. If you weight control shed your weapons, does that dock you ammunition cost for whatever you haven't fired? Or does it only dock you for how much ammo you actually expend?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

AlternateNu posted:

Here's a dumb question. If you weight control shed your weapons, does that dock you ammunition cost for whatever you haven't fired? Or does it only dock you for how much ammo you actually expend?

I don't have an answer but that's a good question, actually.

I've never used that feature because I don't understand how it fully works.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I've never used it except for once just to see it in action, then I reset the level and never did again lol.

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

It does not. You're only charged for ammo fired but not for any still unspent even if you purge the weapon.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
David Zaslav bullets

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

PCA Salvaged Rubicon Research Institute Autonomous C-Weapon IA-69 (NICE WORM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got thinking about the cutscenes in the game and it's neat how the ACs move. They're a lot more rigid and despite having (mostly) humanoid shapes they're still clearly machines. And yet with those limited movements outside of combat the cutscenes still manage to instill a ton of character into the ACs. Raven turning around and glaring at you is done so well.

Often in mecha shows it can feel like the mecha are a bit too humanoid in their movements. It's a nice change with ACs that helps them stand out