Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fishstick posted:

Android lets you block unknown/private numbers without having to go in DnD and that resolves like 99% of robocall issues ime

sometimes the robo caller is the state of texas threatening to issue a warrant for a ticket you paid off twice, a decade ago, and so has a bank of valid numbers to call from

gently caress texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hellblazer187 posted:

The idea of calling someone on the telephone when it's not absolutely necessary is insane. Don't do it. Just text.

Is there a more aggregating thing in the world than sending a text with a yes/no answer, and seeing an incoming call seconds later.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a more aggregating thing in the world than sending a text with a yes/no answer, and seeing an incoming call seconds later.

People who call to give a huge complex explanation that would better sent in text because it takes effort to digest?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone calling you to tell you that they want to set up a zoom call.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yes. Three incoming calls that you reject, then a text, that is easily answered via text.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My mom, who sends me a text, and then immediately calls me to ask whether I received it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sending a text with a yes/no answer, and in reply getting "DOT DOT DOT" for sixteen minutes

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My favorite is when my mom randomly texts me "Do you have time to talk" with no context at like, 6:05 on a weekday. It feels unreasonable for me to be mad at this, but there's gotta be a better way to indicate you just wanna chit-chat and not "Yeah you're 72 year old father's dead now" type paranoia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who the gently caress sends text messages? Is it 1995 again lmao smhd.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

got a better way? I know you aren't thinking that hot mess called electronic mail is better

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

RFC2324 posted:

got a better way? I know you aren't thinking that hot mess called electronic mail is better

If I had to guess he's probably comparing SMS to other services like Line, Discord, WhatsApp, etc.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

can you imagine trying to get my 80 year old mother on discord?

:rubby:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Who the gently caress sends text messages? Is it 1995 again lmao smhd.

Who the gently caress was sending text messages in 1995? My mom was a newspaper reporter and had a cellphone for work and it was a giant loving brick.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If I understand correctly the way to do it now is to record a fully choreographed and professionally lit and edited video dance scene in full costume with your text recited by AI-generated voiceover and send that

Way easier

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I just use chatgpt to generate a script and then use a deep fake of my voice and face to do the dance for me, way easier

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Sending a text with a yes/no answer, and in reply getting "DOT DOT DOT" for sixteen minutes

oh I see you've met my dad

also when the reply does come through it's just 👍

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can't imagine anything ruder than calling someone unexpected when it's not an emergency.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

wash bucket posted:

https://x.com/themaxburns/status/1757130001009238315

Stupid snowflakes. Don't they know they've won a free cruise?

I've heard boomer teens were such cowards they didn't even take their phones with them when they left the house for the day.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

credburn posted:

I can't imagine anything ruder than calling someone unexpected when it's not an emergency.

Society thirty years ago would be some Twilight Zone Horror dimension for you when you come to grips with people that show up to your door in person asking if you want to hang out at random :gonk:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Air Skwirl posted:

Who the gently caress was sending text messages in 1995? My mom was a newspaper reporter and had a cellphone for work and it was a giant loving brick.

I think I got my first belt pager in 96? and some of those could do text paging

eventually they even figured out how to do 2-way paging! it was hilariously painful

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
There isn’t a hand gesture on earth that these people won’t connect with Satan. Probably better to just chop those hands off, lest they summon demons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So are some of you just memeing and over exaggerating the sheer unholy terror of interacting with another human being or what? I seriously can't believe that this many people flip out and have panic attacks because someone has the sheer audacity to want to talk over the phone. Especially if it's someone you actually know and care about

Like yeah I agree that texting is generally the best option for a lot of reasons and I never answer a call from a number I don't recognize but I'm seriously wondering if this is a goon thing or young people thing or what

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Society thirty years ago would be some Twilight Zone Horror dimension for you when you come to grips with people that show up to your door in person asking if you want to hang out at random :gonk:

Normal people didn't do this poo poo even back then, hope this helps

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My parents and I call each other unprompted and chat all the time. If you don't want to answer a phone call there's this awesome feature called "caller ID" that allows you to see if someone you would like to talk to (or don't recognize) is on the line, and then you can hit a button to hang up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

So are some of you just memeing and over exaggerating the sheer unholy terror of interacting with another human being or what? I seriously can't believe that this many people flip out and have panic attacks because someone has the sheer audacity to want to talk over the phone. Especially if it's someone you actually know and care about

Like yeah I agree that texting is generally the best option for a lot of reasons and I never answer a call from a number I don't recognize but I'm seriously wondering if this is a goon thing or young people thing or what

In any other situation it would be considered extremely rude to run up to someone and start going HEY HEY HEY HEY until they answer you.

The demon moloch of Bell's great sin does not alter that fundamental truth.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Elephant Ambush posted:

You're an extrovert (slur)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In my work things need to be documented via email, so I'll send a question to someone via email, have them respond that it'd be much easier to explain over the phone, then insist it be over the phone, have them spend 30 seconds saying the thing over the phone, then asking them to email me that thing they just said so I can have documentation of it.

Some people just struggle to get thoughts out in written form and only feel comfortable doing it verbally, at least to get their thoughts in order so they can then email it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought "memeing" was when you take someone else's visual metaphor and slightly alter the text :confused:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elephant Ambush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTva8qFP2P0

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I prefer texting because I can leave the reply open but unsent so the no-good punk on the other end gets the "..." going for a good 15 minutes. Then once they're at their wits end I like to hit 'em with nothing but a thumbs up emoji. Especially if it makes no sense in the context of whatever they sent me. Gets em every time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dopilsya posted:

I prefer texting because I can leave the reply open but unsent so the no-good punk on the other end gets the "..." going for a good 15 minutes. Then once they're at their wits end I like to hit 'em with nothing but a thumbs up emoji. Especially if it makes no sense in the context of whatever they sent me. Gets em every time.

always reply with a single nonsensical emoji.

🍰

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm 41. I don't mind talking on the phone, I do mind receiving an unscheduled call. It's just a disruption in my day. If I'm doing something I don't want to be interrupted. Texting is asynchronous so I can get to the answer whenever.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neito posted:

My favorite is when my mom randomly texts me "Do you have time to talk" with no context at like, 6:05 on a weekday. It feels unreasonable for me to be mad at this, but there's gotta be a better way to indicate you just wanna chit-chat and not "Yeah you're 72 year old father's dead now" type paranoia.

Ever leave your phone in another room and come back after an hour or so to find eleven missed calls from Mom? You frantically call back to see who died, and... oh, nothing urgent, she was just trying every few minutes until she got you. :pwn:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

AceClown posted:

oh I see you've met my dad

also when the reply does come through it's just 👍

Dopilsya posted:

It's so nice to see families gooning together.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Love that every time this comes up you can pretty cleanly sort goons into "those who have anxiety" and "Those who will never understand anxiety no matter how hard you try to explain it".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The only times since about 1998 that I've spoken to a personal acquaintance over the phone, without prior warning/planning, is when they are having an emergency or personal catastrophe.

If I see a name on my caller ID my heart rate about doubles instantly.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

wash bucket posted:

https://x.com/themaxburns/status/1757130001009238315

Stupid snowflakes. Don't they know they've won a free cruise?

It's definitely not because our phone system has been made basically defunct for most of these kids lives thanks to unfettered spammers and scammers. It's definitely just that they have made up anxieties because they weren't abused enough or something. Idk I'm not lead poisoned enough to get it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

it's not anxiety for me, it's apathy, it's the effort of stopping everything else I'm doing to waste an unspecified amount of time stretching out information that could easily be a text.

If I'm with you in person I'll give you that time willingly because I'm prepared to do that, it's expected and I'll not look at my phone because I'm not a rude rear end in a top hat.

Phonecalls invade your time and personal space and unless someone has died or other news has happened that would be tasteless to text send a fuckin text and get on with your day.

Adding on to this, voice notes can also gently caress off in to the sea and I will never listen to them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neito posted:

Love that every time this comes up you can pretty cleanly sort goons into "those who have anxiety" and "Those who will never understand anxiety no matter how hard you try to explain it".

The two most anxious people in my life (my partner and best friend) are serial unprompted callers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

The two most anxious people in my life (my partner and best friend) are serial unprompted callers.

Meanwhile, my anxiety immune rear end is the unprompted caller, and my anxious wife is from a family of untreated, undiagnosed anxiety where an unprompted call means someone's being rushed to the hospital.

Anyway this feels like one of those derails that I'm not goon enough for.