Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The meal cost is also means tested

:psyduck:

At $15 a day, that's what, $460 a month? but the allowance is $460.25/month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frosted Flake posted:

:911:

lol that they did this right after 9/11

im old enough to remember that they made troops buy their own armor

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I never realized officers get less than enlisted for meals

I hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frosted Flake posted:

The meal cost is also means tested

lmao its not even at cost, its with a 33% markup

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
whats in a night snack

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Good thing food isn't used to calculate inflation, or this would be a pretty stark admission

10.78% difference

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Frosted Flake posted:

DESIGNED FOR THE LAW ENFORCEMENT WORLD, MULTICAM BLACK IS A MODIFIED VERSION OF THE EVER POPULAR MULTICAM CAMOUFLAGE PATTERN AND THE NEWEST ADDITION TO CRYE PRECISION RANGE.

Crye Precision informs us that MultiCam Black meets the particular demands of law enforcement officers, providing them with efficient urban concealment during combat operations and professional appearances afterwards. The pattern is composed of large black and dark green blotches, and smaller brown splotches spread throughout the dark grey background. With such a palette of colours, MultiCam Black compliments the existing equipment utilised by special operations units and civilian law enforcement agencies across the world. Right now also Airsoft and paintball enthusiasts may enjoy the qualities of the MultiCam Black camouflage featured in a wide range of tactical clothing, which includes, plate carriers, chest rigs and backpacks.

Hey guys do you see that bright orange thing in the woods over there

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lmao they pay extra to eat on holidays????

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUxPIoZf4g

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

"Historically, the military provided both housing and food as part of a service member’s compensation. As of 2002, all service members receive a Basic Allowance for Subsistence to pay for their meals per the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s annual food cost index.

For 2024, the monthly BAS rates are:

Enlisted service members: $460.25/month
Officers: $316.98/month"

"Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS)
BAS is meant to offset costs for a member's meals. This allowance is based in the historic origins of the military in which the military provided room and board (or rations) as part of a member's pay. This allowance is not intended to offset the costs of meals for family members. Beginning on January 1, 2002, all enlisted members get full BAS, but pay for their meals (including those provided by the government). This is the culmination of the BAS Reform transition period.

Because BAS is intended to provide meals for the service member, its level is linked to the price of food. Therefore, each year it is adjusted based upon the increase of the price of food as measured by the USDA food cost index. This is why the increase to BAS will not necessarily be the same percentage as that applied to the increase in the pay table, as annual pay raises are linked to the increase of private sector wages."

:911:

lol that they did this right after 9/11

lol, lmao even. Guess Rummy really did bring the corporate mentality to the military. No one wants to work anymore and no one wants to commit genocide to enforce American hegemony anymoee

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
This thread is like that Bradley movie, but constantly, and about everything.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh man whats next have ticketmaster run USO Shows

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Boat Stuck posted:

This thread is like that Bradley movie, but constantly, and about everything.

Free poo poo on a shingle is lostech.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
worth pointing out that you don't even get your initial uniform issue for free. it all comes out of your paycheck, and if you need a replacement uniform item(a new cover, blouse, boots, whatever) that's also on you.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Admiral Bosch posted:

worth pointing out that you don't even get your initial uniform issue for free. it all comes out of your paycheck, and if you need a replacement uniform item(a new cover, blouse, boots, whatever) that's also on you.

Are you loving kidding me Yanks?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Admiral Bosch posted:

that's how the military teaches responsibility

that and car loans

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i remember going to a navy base mess hall as a cub scout and they had really good chocolate milk (from a machine!) so maybe the food is worth it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Free poo poo on a shingle is lostech.

The government provideding services and not letting the free market profit is Communism and we're Anti-Communist so we can't do that. Also the Communists are making eveything our society needs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

This has big "early scene in Black Hawk Down when the supposed veterans tell the new guys they don't need to pack their MREs and night vision goggles because they'll be back in 10 mins anyway".

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

lmao what the gently caress. it's like peeling an onion made of scams

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Frosted Flake posted:

Are you loving kidding me Yanks?

You have to pay for your de-lousing haircut in basic training too lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ya'll do remember troops need to pay for their own medals right?

Cus they do and it's loving hilarious.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

The government provideding services and not letting the free market profit is Communism and we're Anti-Communist so we can't do that. Also the Communists are making eveything our society needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhz5xCnxVFY

1967: "Believe it or not, this is an Army fishery" "US Army officers begin the checking and supervision every step of the way, from catch, to fillet, to the packaged final products"

2024:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Hatebag posted:

lol they get charged for eating at the loving mess hall?? lmao

Al! posted:

lol wait they have to pay for their own lunch while deployed? thats hilarious

KomradeX posted:

Lol that the army doesn't even feed you for free anymore. It rules how pervasive Capitalism has become. Lol that the furthest left any of these idiots can think is be an anarchist

Al! posted:

Hatebag posted:

All of these come down to the same thing: the army privatized the mess hall to a contractor. Said contractor needs to make a profit and loves its captive audience / 0 risk investment.

The contractor needs to employ civilians to provide said food, which it must pay more on holidays, so they increase their prices to compensate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it's funny that "what they're going to charge them for their kit next?" is closer and closer to the literal truth

https://www.newsweek.com/soldier-blasts-biden-after-getting-charged-gear-he-left-afghanistan-1845627

He continued: "They want to charge me $500 to $1,000 for gear I was ordered to leave in Afghanistan two years ago because as the last two birds were sitting on the tarmac ready to leave, there wasn't any room for extra gear, extra weight. Therefore, we were told to leave it. Some lower-level dudes including myself were like, 'No, this stuff is expensive. I'm not leaving this. I'm gonna get charged for this when it's time to leave.'"

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5198332

The U.S. Army had a message for 1st Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook: Before he could leave the Army, he had to pay for body armor vest he lost. Medics destroyed the vest because it was soaked with Rebrook's blood when he was wounded. The Army demanded $632 to replace it. Rebrook's friends helped raise the money. After a senator asked questions, the Army promises a refund.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhz5xCnxVFY

1967: "Believe it or not, this is an Army fishery" "US Army officers begin the checking and supervision every step of the way, from catch, to fillet, to the packaged final products"

2024:

It just reinforces how much Marx was right. They will sell you the rope you use to hang them with

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

it's funny that "what they're going to charge them for their kit next?" is closer and closer to the literal truth

https://www.newsweek.com/soldier-blasts-biden-after-getting-charged-gear-he-left-afghanistan-1845627

He continued: "They want to charge me $500 to $1,000 for gear I was ordered to leave in Afghanistan two years ago because as the last two birds were sitting on the tarmac ready to leave, there wasn't any room for extra gear, extra weight. Therefore, we were told to leave it. Some lower-level dudes including myself were like, 'No, this stuff is expensive. I'm not leaving this. I'm gonna get charged for this when it's time to leave.'"

The U.S. Army had a message for 1st Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook: Before he could leave the Army, he had to pay for body armor vest he lost. Medics destroyed the vest because it was soaked with Rebrook's blood when he was wounded. The Army demanded $632 to replace it. Rebrook's friends helped raise the money. After a senator asked questions, the Army promises a refund.

This mfer bled on government property!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They returned my vest to me with 8 magazines full of ammo and 2 grenades which I had to sneakily place in the amnesty bin in the middle of the night, but charged me $75 for a lost flashlight and destroyed nomex glove.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

They returned my vest to me with 8 magazines full of ammo and 2 grenades which I had to sneakily place in the amnesty bin in the middle of the night, but charged me $75 for a lost flashlight and destroyed nomex glove.

Sounds like the Canadian MOD needs to get some McKinsey guys to optomize profit extraction

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

one man can afford a gun, the second man cannot. if the first man falls, take his gun, because his estate going to get charged for the gun going missing

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Oh good. I was starting to worry that there would be a nuclear war again. Good thing to know that when they press The Button, the only thing coming out of the silos will be a poof of dust and a flaccid burp.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

How is this surprising when goons paid for and sent body armor to troops during what was it the 2nd gulf war?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In practice, enlisted dudes living in the B's get a meal card and eat for "free" (you technically get BAS but it gets automatically deducted so it never hits your bank account anyway) at the DFAC. The big issue there is when your brigade's DFAC is closed on the weekends and they say "go to second brigade ya turkeys" or you miss dinner because of gently caress gently caress games or whatever. It sucks but it never really seemed so much as you were "paying" but rather people not living in the barracks actually got the money in exchange for having to pay at the DFAC (but they also get housing allowance, which you didn't get if living in the barracks). We always complained at how often we never really got to utilize the DFAC because we got off late or everything was closed etc and pissed and moaned that we should be paid the balance we didn't use at the end of the month.

What was the issue identified? Were people being deployed and not actually having a dining facility to go to?

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Feb 13, 2024

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

GlassEye-Boy posted:

How is this surprising when goons paid for and sent body armor to troops during what was it the 2nd gulf war?

never forget :911:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

$$$

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

does anybody have that video of the guy asking the Australian army man why Australia needs a big navy to protect trade with China from China?

Utopia extract requested and delivered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgspkxfkS4k

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i hope ansar allah sinks the uss soyface

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah, pay isn’t great for US enlisted troops. An unmarried 22-23 year old Sergeant would only make about $62k/year or so depending on zip code in a pretty cheap part of the US, like military bases in the southeast or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well well well, look who's back to take the King's shilling.

Room & board* , at 30% more pay.

*some terms and conditions apply