Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Monica Bellucci posted:

...???... Harah? I hope not that bit is absolutely loving hilarious and underlines Paul trying to stop everything when he can't even that bit.

Alia one interview talks about Jessica being "advised" by her unborn child

i hope we get a flashback with Jeff the Fremen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Also, full confession, when Muad'Dib sorted out that bit on the side of the worm, I went "MMMMMHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM, SHAI-HULUD!" but I reckon it was smushed by the sound.

As I look on it now, I shoulda been married to some Dame named Margot.

Also, tickets not available yet here, motherfucker.

Monica Bellucci fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 12, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I saw it in IMAX last night and had forgotten how much of Paul's prescience was conveyed via creepy whispers while he's having his visions. Those are really easy to miss if you're watching it at home without the volume cranked.

Yep, massive difference, stupendous difference. Doing the heavy lifting for non-readers difference.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

Just back as I went for a couple drinks after, slightly buzzed.

Here be my thoughts after watching it for the fourth time - IMAX, cinema, home, IMAX just earlier as said.

The sound. Right from the start, y'backsward throat singin' mad fucks, yeah. It rumbles and shifts everything and in a lot of places* does it with different sounds in different places in your body.

gently caress it is just good cinema utilizing everything it can to make the best of an experience. gently caress yeah Denis, gently caress Yeah!

Jessica's dress. I am shite at visual nuance and I realize that is odd given the givens but I am more about the character behaviour and things making sense. Anyway, for the first time I noticed Jessica's dress in the official (tm) handover sequence. It is the fashion version of a shield untroubled by the slow blade. Bloody good stuff.

Gods Ornithopters look and sound cool. Seriously, the rattle my body felt changed position with how their wings beat.

I mostly don't like Hans Zimmer soundtracks, they are usually THUMP WOOOOOMP STRIIIIIIINNNNNNGS. This'n works and it's two of the three. So, this and True Romance, I s'pose.

Did I mention Ornithopters, holy gently caress they rule.

Javier Bardem owns this movie. Joel Edgerton owns The King. It helps he wrote it but he owns that movie acting-wise, like he out acts every other person on screen together multiplied by 10. First thing I saw Timothée in and I thought he was the latest twink gently caress fantasy until that movie. Jesus he is good at Act Ing. Joel ruled the entire thing though and it has Sean Maher. Anyway my point is Javier stands tall like Joel but with less being the writer and screen time. He owns the poo poo out of Dunc the first.

Never post drunk kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

disposablewords posted:

You don't even need to care about the prequels, it's text in the first book that basically everyone in the Atreides entourage has been personally wronged by the Harkonnens. Gurney's supposed to have a big scar on his face from his time as a Harkonnen slave.

It's one of those things I'm surprised they didn't play up a bit more, given Game of Thrones viewers would probably glom onto it quickly 'Oh, they're like the Starks and Lannisters' or whatever. Duke Leto's court is almost the Round Table with its champions and heroes who are a big part of why the Atreides forces are famously competent and motivated, all heroes of their own stories, and why it takes the well armed death commandos backing up the Harkonnen forces to wipe them out.

Kinda funny given the original Bene Gesserit plan is a flat out Romeo and Juliet situation, uniting two houses with an ancient, bitter rivalry through marriage. Arguably an even bigger long shot and more likely (as in the play) to end in tragedy and sending them back to square one one way or another.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got the dunussy today

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given the original Bene Gesserit plan is a flat out Romeo and Juliet situation, uniting two houses with an ancient, bitter rivalry through marriage. Arguably an even bigger long shot and more likely (as in the play) to end in tragedy and sending them back to square one one way or another.

The BGs are very smart masterminds but also way too used to dealing with people who value what they have and don't want to risk it too much. An essentially conservative society. They are not prepared for anyone willing to go all the way to achieve their goals, which Paul is, then Leto II is... but also Baron Harkonnen is. That pairing would have been an amazing disaster and probably would've ended in its own little red wedding way before they could've even gotten their Atreides/Harkonnen heir out to conserve the bloodlines.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shageletic posted:

post drunk kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

disposablewords posted:

The BGs are very smart masterminds but also way too used to dealing with people who value what they have and don't want to risk it too much. An essentially conservative society. They are not prepared for anyone willing to go all the way to achieve their goals, which Paul is, then Leto II is... but also Baron Harkonnen is. That pairing would have been an amazing disaster and probably would've ended in its own little red wedding way before they could've even gotten their Atreides/Harkonnen heir out to conserve the bloodlines.

There's also a running theme that the Very Smart People can talk themselves into some really dumb ideas so long as they think the data is on their side. Even outright said how easily you can gently caress with a Mentat by giving them misleading data- garbage in, garbage out. Very prescient of Frank. The Fremen successfully hiding their numbers and competence by an order of magnitude or three is the big play, let alone their ability to utilise and weaponise sandworms. Probably one of the only reasons they ally with the Atreides is because they appreciate Leto making overtures without knowing that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jq3KYJLcHY

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's not the Bene Gesserit's original plan, since Fenrig was supposed to be the KH. Their endgame isn't just creating someone who can see perfectly into the past and future, but making him emperor of all mankind through a dynastic marriage. Leto II dunks DUNCs on them for being arrogant and dumb enough to think they could create an omnipotent dictator and control him. The Bene Gesserit were aiming for Shaddam's trusted friend Fenrig to resolve the inconvenient lack of a successor, but since Fenrig's infertile they decided a Harkonnen-Atreides merger was the next best thing. You're right though: having a KH openly muscle their way onto the throne is far more risky than the quiet coup the BG would've achieved with Fenrig.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeepThrobble posted:

The Bene Gesserit were aiming for Shaddam's trusted friend Fenrig to resolve the inconvenient lack of a successor, but since Fenrig's infertile they decided a Harkonnen-Atreides merger was the next best thing.

In hindsight it's not a good sign when infertility starts happening in your eugenics program. I wonder if Fenrig might have been a sly shoutout to Foundation's Mule?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Just seen that select locations are getting 70mm prints of DUNC 2 in London (Picturehouse Central and Odeon Leicester Square). Seems like the success of Oppenheimer gave Warner Brothers confidence in striking some prints.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Schwarzwald posted:

In hindsight it's not a good sign when infertility starts happening in your eugenics program. I wonder if Fenrig might have been a sly shoutout to Foundation's Mule?

Dune = what if the Foundation predicted the Mule and decided to bring his existence into being.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I remember them referencing Fenring as a failed KH but wa there anything he did in the books that actually point to him having any sort of prescience? I can't remember anything.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Shageletic posted:

I remember them referencing Fenring as a failed KH but wa there anything he did in the books that actually point to him having any sort of prescience? I can't remember anything.

No, because they didn't put him through anything that would've helped realize the prescience (beyond probably "vaguely prophetic dreams" like Paul was having) when they realized he was infertile. He's one of a bunch of attempts that stopped or failed at various points.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shageletic posted:

Always post Dunc, kids.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Shageletic posted:

Never post drunk kids.

Coward.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Paul couldn't see him in any of his visions, and IIRC that tends to be the result of some level of prescience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Most of Dune is pretty much a riff on Foundation and a counterpoint to Asimov, being 'What if the Mule were the main character', where Leto II (who a large point is mode of how he has no dick) also more significantly takes that role.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

MikeJF posted:

Paul couldn't see him in any of his visions, and IIRC that tends to be the result of some level of prescience.

Yeah it's this. He was a giant hole in Paul's visions and he had never seen him before and it freaked him the gently caress out. He was lucky Feyd wanted to fight instead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah it's this. He was a giant hole in Paul's visions and he had never seen him before and it freaked him the gently caress out. He was lucky Feyd wanted to fight instead.

He feels immense compassion for him, and that tips the balance for fenring deciding not to fight him.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Shaddam wants them to fight, but Paul convinces Fenrig to give up by asking him to look past the duel to see what will happen if Paul dies.

MikeJF posted:

It also comes up with Leto II(the elder)'s death and Leto II(the younger)'s birth both coming as a surprise to Paul. I find it odd that someone as important to the BG's plans as Fenrig could've been born with the complications he had unless they couldn't see the downsides ten thousand years of incest had on him until he was born. Even if Fenrig never tried the Reverend Mother test like Paul, he may have had a natty version of the power strong enough to be active in utero without having to kickstart it by living on the spice planet like those Atreides boys.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i assumed Tim Blake Nelson was going to be the Count but they announced he was cast and then just never mentioned him ever again so who even knows if he's in the dang thing. hmMrrrmmmnm

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i assumed Tim Blake Nelson was going to be the Count but they announced he was cast and then just never mentioned him ever again so who even knows if he's in the dang thing. hmMrrrmmmnm

perhaps trailers are a form of prescience for the audience?

TK-42-1 posted:

He was a giant hole in Paul's visions and he had never seen him before and it freaked him the gently caress out

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
TBN's gonna play Aliyah via mocap like it's fuckin Polar Express.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1757080916932145491
Help I've fallen in love with Rebecca Ferguson.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

What took you so long? I thought that was just sort of assumed after MI 4.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 13, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Help I've fallen in love with Rebecca Ferguson.
Part 1 came out 3 years ago.

The gently caress took you so long?

E:f, b.

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 13, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Well. I am booked for 4dx IMAX on March 1st. WTF is 4dx?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They have little robots that shake your chair or fart mist in your face.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Cool.

I want them to show MANT! as well now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think Denmark has a single LIEMAX in the entire country, but nothing like real IMAX - so I'm just gonna see it in a regular cinema.

Then again, I'm not exactly the biggest movie-buff, so while I'm sure it makes a difference, I probably wouldn't appreciate it the same way I see people going on and on about it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Can someone with prescience tell me if Alia is going to be in this movie or not? If she's not then I need to start making preparations for a holy war in my father's name asap.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I saw Interstellar on one of the giant dome imax screens they have at science centers, I was off to the side and everything was profoundly loving distorted. The severe disorientation kinda helped with some of the space stuff though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jewmanji posted:

Can someone with prescience tell me if Alia is going to be in this movie or not? If she's not then I need to start making preparations for a holy war in my father's name asap.

Baron von Eevl posted:

TBN's gonna play Aliyah via mocap like it's fuckin Polar Express.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Alia has prescience as well so I cannot see the movie past 29 Feb. sry.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Why the mocap? I feel like just shrinking him down with CGI and putting him in an aba robe would be perfectly unsettling.

Monica Bellucci posted:

Alia has prescience as well so I cannot see the movie past 29 Feb. sry.

Thanks. My Dune Tarot cards are also completely hosed at the moment with the amount of prescience floating around.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh like that Celine Dion unauthorized biopic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think Denmark has a single LIEMAX in the entire country, but nothing like real IMAX - so I'm just gonna see it in a regular cinema.

Then again, I'm not exactly the biggest movie-buff, so while I'm sure it makes a difference, I probably wouldn't appreciate it the same way I see people going on and on about it.

You dont need to jerk off to Cinema to get the fun of full IMAX. It's just Fucken Really Big which makes it cool