Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
your mom is titular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
criticker was actually really good at guessing what movies I would like. but then a lot of the userbase ditched it for letterboxd and the predictive scores got a lot worse for anything new coming out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

amazing

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That owns

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

checkmate, gamers

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmao

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1757468224319332389

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

that quote makes it seem like he thinks he may not gently caress at all! what kind of journalism is this?!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This rules

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

don't hate the player, hate the game

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Palpatine absolutely fucks and I have proof. No I won't show you.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I feel like this is the 6/10 era. It would be nice to have an 8/10 or 9/10 movie, say the execs, but that would involve trying something new and risky. Safer to just produce a half-hearted, mediocre film and hope you get your money back.

And hey, if it looks like a total bomb, just delete it from existence and write it off on your taxes!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Presto posted:

I feel like this is the 6/10 era. It would be nice to have an 8/10 or 9/10 movie, say the execs, but that would involve trying something new and risky. Safer to just produce a half-hearted, mediocre film and hope you get your money back.

And hey, if it looks like a total bomb, just delete it from existence and write it off on your taxes!

coincides with the brand tie-in blockbuster era. barbie, blackberry, air, flamin hot, house of gucci, tetris, dungeons & dragons. we've only just begun to experience the high tide of corporate schlock

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AARD VARKMAN posted:

that quote makes it seem like he thinks he may not gently caress at all! what kind of journalism is this?!

I honestly wonder if content mills like DiscussingFilm intentionally use dumb interpretations and show you how the quote doesn't back it up in hopes of getting hate-clicks from people who want to check and make sure that they are getting it wrong.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

kalel posted:

coincides with the brand tie-in blockbuster era. barbie, blackberry, air, flamin hot, house of gucci, tetris, dungeons & dragons. we've only just begun to experience the high tide of corporate schlock

I liked half of these pretty well, actually

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kalel posted:

I've already been signed to play myself in the Something Awful movie.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

poisonpill posted:

I liked half of these pretty well, actually

yeah, go back and watch the 2000's D&D movie if you want to see some dire poo poo.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Vakal posted:

yeah, go back and watch the 2000's D&D movie if you want to see some dire poo poo.

i will do this instead! https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/dungeons-and-dragons-commentary-track

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Palps fucks and sucks you best believe it

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
sheev's feed and seed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I read the book wicked and watched the play on broadway and I genuinely enjoyed both of them but the trailer for the new movie just looks absolutely dire and I can’t quite put my finger on why it looks poo poo.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

MarcusSA posted:

I read the book wicked and watched the play on broadway and I genuinely enjoyed both of them but the trailer for the new movie just looks absolutely dire and I can’t quite put my finger on why it looks poo poo.

It is a movie being released in 2024 not named dune, op

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

MarcusSA posted:

It looks like they took too much inspiration from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any behind the scenes shots of Dune you see Denis just smiling like a kid who snuck into a toy store after it closed, it kinda rules. Dude looks so chuffed to be doing it. Really excited for it!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Palpatine goes down. He's a considerate lover.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

kalel posted:

Why are goons so dense that they think Blackberry counts as a corpo aggrandizement movie?

Anyway, just came back from Zone of Interest. Fun little flick.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

colonelwest posted:

I’m noticing a worrying trend of people breaking the thread’s cardinal rule of never interacting with XJAKK.

:emptyquote:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mordja posted:

Why are goons so dense that they think Blackberry counts as a corpo aggrandizement movie?

Anyway, just came back from Zone of Interest. Fun little flick.

I want to see BlackBerry, I saw the one scene where the nerds are talking to Balsillie on the phone and it was the funniest yet also most true to life engineer-sales guy interaction I have ever seen onscreen.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Xjakk seems nice and is much more interesting than any Star War discussion.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Im dying to know why the Quaker Oats guy got so friggin smug dag nabbit
Ideally while feeding me Quaker slop at the theatre as promotional material

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Palpatine absolutely fucks and I have proof. No I won't show you.

I don’t think he fucks but I do think he keeps a jar and a turkey baster ready to go

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Why else do you thinks he keeps all those snokes in jars???

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

LanceHunter posted:

I honestly wonder if content mills like DiscussingFilm intentionally use dumb interpretations and show you how the quote doesn't back it up in hopes of getting hate-clicks from people who want to check and make sure that they are getting it wrong.
I'm sure I've made fun of them in the past, and I'm talking out of my butt here, but I think @discussingfilm specifically has gained traction because they tend not to do poo poo like that

it's literally just some dude tweeting stuff from entertainment news sites, but the mere fact that they're not constantly trying to get you to click through to a lovely ad-smothered website filled with garbage clickbait puts it ahead of most of its peers
(did you guys even know they have a website? I didn't until I googled it just now, I seriously thought it was just a twitter account)

it's almost like metafilter or hackernews (if those still exist) only not crowdsourced. like, what discussingfilm does is sort through the aggravating noise of other websites that are aggravating to go to and picks out the interesting bits and distills them down to a sentence or two

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LanceHunter posted:

~discourse~ journalism is completely and utterly shattered. Everything is a content mill, google is broken and unable to cope with ad revenue collapse and everyone is running around as the ship sinks. Ad revenue is what broke it all, and now that its broken we're going to go even further and further into balkanized communities like SA here to actually get recommendations and suggestions while the social media zone constricts even harder to try to squeeze ever more blood from the people still there.

So yeah, anything to drive engagement. Hate and outrage are the most potent engagement tools.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Are there any Batmans this year? We need at least one a year to keep the Batman ecosystem flourishing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CaptainBeefart posted:

damning with faint praise

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

As much as I loved star wars as a kid, I can't imagine discussing this new stuff with any degree of seriousness. It sucks.

The prequels were bad and kind of dull, but it's kind of interesting watching one guys singular vision get barfed all over the movie screen. The first sequel was standard JJ stuff, the second was a mess but in an interesting way, and the third was just hilariously bad. But half these new shows just look tedious and boring and don't bring anything interesting to the table.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

CaptainBeefart posted:

then start a thread about him and stay in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

Xjakk you can put this endorsement in one of your ads