Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So today is the last day for Trump to apply for cert with the Supreme Court to avoid a stay on the DC case. I'm assuming he will, because letting the election interference case go forward would make me, personally, too happy.

When does the day end in terms of the deadline? Normal office-closing time in DC, midnight, what are we talking about here? I'm guessing the actual filing is digital by now like it is for state courts, but I don't know how much that actually effects issues of timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

So today is the last day for Trump to apply for cert with the Supreme Court to avoid a stay on the DC case. I'm assuming he will, because letting the election interference case go forward would make me, personally, too happy.

When does the day end in terms of the deadline? Normal office-closing time in DC, midnight, what are we talking about here? I'm guessing the actual filing is digital by now like it is for state courts, but I don't know how much that actually effects issues of timing.

From some commentary I've seen the stay is in effect until 12:00 am tonight. However, 5 justices need to agree to extend the stay so I imagine the filing has to been in with sufficient time to allow that to happen? I don't know if the justice who supervises DC (Roberts?) can just issue an administrative stay for a few days while they consider to extend the stay? I presume so which would mean that effectively the stay could be extended without being extended?

I'm not sure about this whole 5 justices need to agree to extend the stay thing since I am pretty sure that we've seen SCOTUS grant stays based on a cert petition, that only requires 4 justices to agree, that requests a stay due to a potential harm that can't be redressed? But, maybe behind the scenes there was a 5+ vote for the stay that just doesn't get reported? Maybe also the DCCA ruling is sufficient to remove the burden of the 'non-redressable harm' so that there isn't really a reason to stay this issue while the trial proceeds?

It would be really funny if Trump can't even get 4 justices to consider his absolute immunity claim and grant cert so I hope that's what happens. It's even extra funny because Trump's said he's filing that he's immune due to being an ex-president in the documents case and watching Cannon tie herself up in knots to not flat out say 'no' would be really dumb.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't know anything about the DC circuit but in the very limited experience I have with federal filing it is all electronic and the deadlines are midnight. It's been roughly a decade since I filed anything in federal court, though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Funniest option is that his absolute clownshoes legal team simply fucks up somehow and doesn't get the request in in time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Funniest option is that his absolute clownshoes legal team simply fucks up somehow and doesn't get the request in in time.

I guess Trump still has 45 days to file the cert petition even though the stay dissolves and Chutkan can resume trial prep? So, they could let the stay lapse and then just before start of the trial file for cert and request a stay then just to maximum delay?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

We were meant to mail the documents to the DC circuit, we mailed them to the DC circus!!!

*Cue benny hill music as trumps legal team try and wrestle the papers away from an elephant as literal clowns stand around laughing at them*

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

The GOP had enough syncophantic votes to knock it down in the end, but the seven who voted for it represented the most Senate votes to convict any President has ever received from his own party.

To be fair Nixon would have received more votes against, from his own party, if he hadn't had the good sense to resign.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And he would have been convicted in a court of law, if Ford hadn't been the piece of poo poo who pardoned him to "heal the country" thereby creating the conditions for the current shitshow.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tesseraction posted:

And he would have been convicted in a court of law, if Ford hadn't been the piece of poo poo who pardoned him to "heal the country" thereby creating the conditions for the current shitshow.

I've always been a fan of that line in Hunter S. Thompson's Nixon obituary about how Ford once told a friend he knew he was destined for hell because he pardoned Richard Nixon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And they said the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1757156877698506792

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Unlikely a sign of a funny outcome but it's certainly interesting that when I clicked the courtlistener link just now the document has already been removed / produces a 404.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tesseraction posted:

Unlikely a sign of a funny outcome but it's certainly interesting that when I clicked the courtlistener link just now the document has already been removed / produces a 404.

Same as of when I checked a half hour ago. Huh.

Also not saying it’s suspicious/ominous, that’s just a mildly interesting issue.

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68073028/01208595571/1/united-states-v-donald-trump/ seems to be the correct link (was missing a 0 in front of the document number)

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68073028/1208595572/2/united-states-v-donald-trump/ is the more interesting stay application itself

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I've always been a fan of that line in Hunter S. Thompson's Nixon obituary about how Ford once told a friend he knew he was destined for hell because he pardoned Richard Nixon.

It was obscene that the Republicans gave him a state funeral.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aha, thanks. While you're right it's the more interesting document it's unsurprisingly all the usual bollocks about how criminally charging a former president is unprecedented... which, yeah, because normally they don't try coups.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

selec posted:

STRONG RECOMMENDATION for Rick Perlstein's trilogy, starting with NIXONLAND, then THE INVISIBLE BRIDGE, then REAGANLAND, for getting a good baseline for "how loving wacky and violent have American politics actually gotten on the ground in the late 20th century?"

The number of bombings going on in the early seventies is a stark eye-opener.

BUT

It's a different society, too. It works differently now than it used to, so the kinds of political violence we used to see, and the reactions to it, will all be different in this modern era. Stochastic violence and threats are way up; you don't need a Klan organizing threats and bombings when you have Libs of Tiktok serving as the guide dog to targets. Then you just let atomized, alienated capitalist subjects take it from there!

The other side of this is that we have far fewer means to actually hold our government accountable. Protests have been effectively neutered; we have pervasive surveillance in public and of our main communications methods.

If you read about something like the break-in to the Media, PA FBI office, and the absolute poo poo-storm of consequences that came for the government after that happened, you realize so much has been done to button up the security state that you probably wouldn't get past the first step anymore, despite it being a righteous example of breaking the law the right way, for the right reasons, with positive outcomes.

You couldn't break in, anymore--way too much surveillance and monitoring. You couldn't copy the docs as easily--they're no longer paper docs, and even if they were, scanners and email attachments are plugged into monitoring programs. Distribution of the docs means that the journalists who publish them could potentially be thrown in jail. The list goes on and on.

So we don't live in the same society, but I wouldn't go so far as to say we're not approaching similar levels of crazy that have existed in our politics, just that they won't look the same in how they're acted out, and the reactions will be far more dire.

slightly off topic but id add that the right tried to have their madison square garden nazi rally twice and it blew up in their faces. charlottesville kinda blew up the alt rights shot at full open political acceptence and basicaly locked it into online fringe poo poo that feeds on parts of the GOP base. jan 6th locked the chuds in with trump in perpatuity and scared off the indies and moderates and scared the hard core nuts into thinking everything was a trap. obviously its always gonna be a fight and even an uphill fight in ceirtain areas against these ghouls but i do have some hope.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
SCOTUS is giving Jack Smith 1 week to reply to Trumps motion for a stay:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4465323-supreme-court-gives-smith-one-week-to-respond-to-trump-on-immunity/

I expect that Smith will have his brief in well before the time limit although I doubt that will speed anything up.

I can't imagine his reply will say much more than, "Trump is unlikely to succeed on the merits so a stay would be unwarranted at this time due to the substantial public interest in a speedy trial." and then 20 pages reiterating how bad Trumps arguments are but this time with DCCA references.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah I imagine Jack Smith's team already has that one 95% written up.

Just gotta fill in the relevant information, add a few more references to the appendix then triple check everything is good and there's no typos.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The hardest part of filing a Jack Smith document is removing all of draft-era "AS WAS ALREADY loving OBVIOUS"->"as decided in X v Y et al" and "THIS COLOSSAL PIECE OF poo poo" -> "the defendant."

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
How likely do you think Trump will be found guilty for the Stormy Daniels bribe case? It seems like a pretty slam dunk case since they have proof, but I really don't know anymore. If found guilty, I doubt his followers will even care.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

John Yossarian posted:

How likely do you think Trump will be found guilty for the Stormy Daniels bribe case? It seems like a pretty slam dunk case since they have proof, but I really don't know anymore. If found guilty, I doubt his followers will even care.

Honestly I'd forgotten about that case. I thought the NY AG had declined to prosecute.

Edit: to answer more substantively, in any given criminal trial, even a case that should be a slam dunk, there's about a ten percent chance the prosecution fucks something up or you get lucky with a juror or something and you get either an acquittal or a mistrial.

With any given Trump case that chance goes up to, oh, probably around fifty percent because of all the bullshit. All you need is one chud on the jury and it's a mistrial.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 14, 2024

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

John Yossarian posted:

This case was the one I thought a lot of people say was a stretch and that the prosecutor overcharged on a kind of novel use of what was normally a misdemeanor as felony charges and that many of the counts were really the same charge over and over again just separate instances so I don't know. I think people have been focusing on the other cases because they seem to be more substantive instead of getting Trump on a technicality. That being said I am fine if he goes down for this case haha I think once he is found guilty in any of his cases his image of invincibility is shattered and it will probably be easier to get him on the other stuff as I imagine people will feel more emboldened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/07/nyregion/trump-indictment-bragg-strategy.html

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I imagine Jack Smith's team already has that one 95% written up.

Just gotta fill in the relevant information, add a few more references to the appendix then triple check everything is good and there's no typos.

He filed it this afternoon so, yeah, 95% done and just mad lib in the blanks with quotes from Trumps filing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge in New York refuses to dismiss case against Trump

quote:

Judge Juan Merchan got right to the point when proceedings kicked off, informing the court that Trump’s case will move forward next month.

“Defendant’s motions to dismiss have been denied,” Merchan said, indicating that a written decision is now available.

Merchan said shortly thereafter: “We’re moving ahead to Jury selection on March 25.

This is the Stormy Daniels case, where Trump is attending.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

Judge in New York refuses to dismiss case against Trump

This is the Stormy Daniels case, where Trump is attending.

Hot drat. Let's go.

What's the potential criminal penalty here?

Edit: looks like class e felony or class a misdemeanor, so his theoretical maximum exposure is something like 2-5 years if convicted and sentenced concurrently? Can't find all the cites on my phone.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 15, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems things are also going well in Georgia https://bsky.app/profile/nycsouthpaw.bsky.social/post/3klhnd5cigm2u

NYCSouthpaw posted:

Ashleigh Merchant is so far not having a great morning in court in Georgia as she tried to prove up her motion seeking the disqualification of the DA. Her first witness didn’t appear and the witness’s lawyer is in some other proceeding.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hot drat. Let's go.

What's the potential criminal penalty here?

Edit: looks like class e felony or class a misdemeanor, so his theoretical maximum exposure is something like 2-5 years if convicted and sentenced concurrently? Can't find all the cites on my phone.

Not for someone with no criminal history. It'll be a fine, at most.

Which reminds me of the very funny possibility that criminal history is going to be a sentencing factor in the other cases, and as they proceed, he's going to rack of a criminal history very fast, so by the time we get trial #4, the penalty could be quite severe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

gregday posted:

Not for someone with no criminal history. It'll be a fine, at most.

Eh, theoretically, but if I were his defense attorney I wouldn't be betting on it. Stste charges not federal -- what does NY use for sentencing guidelines? Any given judge who gets a chance to throw a hammer at Trump is going to have a lot of powerful incentives to do so. I don't think his sentencing is predictable like another defendant's would be. Maybe NY state has strict guidelines tho.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Any updates?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://x.com/hugolowell/status/1758152210062463387?s=20

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I cannot access Twitter/X but it looks like Merchant produced a former colleague of Willis who says Willis and Wade were in a relationship before and not after Wade was appointed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I cannot access Twitter/X but it looks like Merchant produced a former colleague of Willis who says Willis and Wade were in a relationship before and not after Wade was appointed.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/15/us/fani-willis-trump-hearing

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks.

So now Wade's on the stand under questioning.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Say what you will about Merchant, but there are a lot of messy fact disputes here and who knows what happens with respect to breaking down the privilege arguments that the attorney witness brought up.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Say what you will about Merchant, but there are a lot of messy fact disputes here and who knows what happens with respect to breaking down the privilege arguments that the attorney witness brought up.

I'd just point out that a massive amount of the messy facts are directly related to Trump-aligned parties trying to muddy this as much as possible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

So far merchant seems to be one of the very few competent attorneys in the entire trumposphere.

Anyway looks like they have some former employee willing to testify a relationship between Willis and Wade began earlier. That person may have limited credibility.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So far merchant seems to be one of the very few competent attorneys in the entire trumposphere.

Anyway looks like they have some former employee willing to testify a relationship between Willis and Wade began earlier. That person may have limited credibility.

I'm sure there will be questions about Robin Bryant-Yeartie's motivations. She was supposedly a friend of Fani Willis. (Can't imagine that's the case anymore.)

Unless she has photos (imagine!), it's going to be more about whether people want to believe her or not.

Merchant was otherwise trying to question Terrence Bradley, a friend and former partner of Wade's. The judge in question seemed pretty skeptical of Bradley's privilege claim.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Good thread here: https://x.com/harrylitman/status/1758155133203222992?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Merchant seems to be doing a whole lot of fishing that should end up with her catching something, but I think she's just trying to perry mason something by accident. I don't think she's actually leading him into a trap, hoping more to stumble onto one that she doesn't know.

And more evidence of that she doesn't even know what of her evidence is certified, lordy, not like it's your job or anything.

Also her pretending to not understand how partnerships work and how he can get paid for work that one of his other partners does but not doing it himself or even knowing exactly what it was.

I'd also her constantly wandering off during his answers reflects poorly on her. She seems very ill-prepared honestly. She doesn't even have her evidence marked haha.

Aw, they turned off the mic, she's trying to say she has some evidence on her phone and opposing counsel is like, well you need to send it to us, text it I guess you have my number. Typical trump attorney quality here.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 15, 2024