Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Forgot that Bethesda has a parent so fair point.

Bethesda has like 5 parents.

Bethesda Game Studio, the developer, are owned by, Bethesda Softworks, the publisher, owned by ZeniMax Media, the one with Trump's brother, which are owned by Xbox Game Studios, which are in turn owned by Microsoft Gaming, which are in turned owned by Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I think the above mentioned "doesn't have investors/shareholders to answer to" is a pretty good test for independence. I don't know which companies are publicly traded, so don't know if Larian passes that test, but I'd be surprised if Ubisoft isn't. They're huge.

e:

Volte posted:

Larian was a bona fide indie company at one point but Tencent owns 30% of them now.

Okay, well I guess that's fair.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

skeletronics posted:

I think the above mentioned "doesn't have investors/shareholders to answer to" is a pretty good test for independence. I don't know which companies are publicly traded, so don't know if Larian passes that test, but I'd be surprised if Ubisoft isn't. They're huge.

Larian Studios has shareholders but Swen Vicke, the founder and the game director, owns 51% of the company together with his wife.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I said come in! posted:

Its easier at this point to list the companies not owned by Tencent.

The dick sucking factory is still independent

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

AAA don't mean poo poo anymore now that AAAA has entered the ring.

The losers at Larian didn't even charge €70 for their game, they barely count as triple A, let alone 4xA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I only buy single A games. I can’t handle anymore As

mystes
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I only buy single A games. I can’t handle anymore As
yeah, fuckin' As

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A is a loving stupid letter anyways. Waiting on S-tier games to become a thing before I get back into gaming.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

waiting for the elusive AAB game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This isn't meant as a gotcha but also how involved with BG3 were Wizards of the Coast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Destiny was an indie game for a while

mystes
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

waiting for the elusive AAB game
You can always play BAA games but right now that probably limits you to Cult of the Lamb

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

This isn't meant as a gotcha but also how involved with BG3 were Wizards of the Coast.

I think all they did was take Larians money.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I said come in! posted:

A is a loving stupid letter anyways. Waiting on S-tier games to become a thing before I get back into gaming.

my credit card trembles in anticipation

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Showing remarkable restraint and good judgment by their standards

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I said come in! posted:

I mean, even if Wizards wasn't watching over their shoulder for the entire development of the game they presumably signed some kind of licensing agreement that placed SOME kind of restriction on what they could and couldn't do. Even if they were completely reasonable terms, Wizards had some degree of influence over the game. I have no idea how you compare that to or factor it in to discussions about indie-ness but surely you can't just gloss over the fact that BG3 is a Dungeons and Dragons branded product.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I got the impression that WOTC doesn't really care about D&D compared to Magic the Gathering, which might not be unwise tbh.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I read a few articles that said the main sources of income for Hasbro in 2023 were BG3 and Monopoly (?), so that might change in the future

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

“Indie” means “small budget/small team” to some and “the developer doesn’t have a separate publisher/investor/whatever” to some others. I think the latter is arguably more useful but they’re both kinda messy these days imo.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I mean, "indie" as in "not beholden to a publisher" still has meaning. Baldur's Gate 3 would never have been greenlit by any publisher. Larger ones because of the uncertain ROI, smaller ones because they couldn't afford it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that anything published by Devolver isn't indie.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Time for my periodic check of how well BG3 is doing x months after release

Sixth place. The absolute mad lads really did it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Time for my periodic check of how well BG3 is doing x months after release

Sixth place. The absolute mad lads really did it

Because I know what gets the clicks, I decided to look at Starfield as well. They're way too far down to count the position, but they're currently being beaten by games such as L.A. Noire, Cuphead, and Dragon's Dogma 2, which is a month and a half away from being released.

In all fairness, they are outperforming Garry's Mod

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Anno posted:

“Indie” means “small budget/small team” to some and “the developer doesn’t have a separate publisher/investor/whatever” to some others. I think the latter is arguably more useful but they’re both kinda messy these days imo.

Indie Games are made by Auteur Devs who want to teach you an important lesson. They have 2D pixel art (because Auteur Devs are not art guys) and come in heavily discounted Bundles. Thank you, Gaben!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Of course, there's also Warframe, which is literally an AABC game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I read a few articles that said the main sources of income for Hasbro in 2023 were BG3 and Monopoly (?), so that might change in the future

Whoa that kinda surprises me, I had always just assumed (wrongly apparently) Magic the Gathering was their flagship product that was a money printer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Whoa that kinda surprises me, I had always just assumed (wrongly apparently) Magic the Gathering was their flagship product that was a money printer.

https://investor.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-reports-third-quarter-2023-financial-results

Re-reading, MTG probably is still their biggest single source of income, but BG3's breakaway success might cause them to shift focus

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

I made a similar post elsewhere in this thread a while ago, but GaaS is a doomed business model to begin with. There is only so much time and money that people have that not everything can be a forever game printing money non-stop. Yet every publisher keep pushing this type of game. Sony just cancelled 6 of a planned 12 (:siren:) GaaS games.

I'm not in the games industry, nor even a business major, but even I can see that this is self-cannibalizing.

Business/IT student here: yeah the conclusion of a market analysis and strategy would probably be that. You can try to bulldoze your way in by throwing cash at the problem but without a substantially different or better offering, the most popular GaaS titles won’t cede their customers. Especially not the whales, who have too much invested in a game to consider leaving it. Plus the publishers with established titles will try to bully new games out of the market by pumping out more content and advertising.

But development isn’t necessarily dictated by logic if investors want to pump money into a doomed game.

All that said, it wouldn’t surprise me if quite a few of the failing GaaS titles recoup their costs or turn a profit. A lot of players pick up a title for a couple months, buy a battle pass and move on to the next new thing when they get bored.

E: late edit but after looking at a bunch businesses outside of the games industry, I’m developing a suspicion that a significant number of x as a service products have a planned obsolescence.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 13, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, even if Wizards wasn't watching over their shoulder for the entire development of the game they presumably signed some kind of licensing agreement that placed SOME kind of restriction on what they could and couldn't do. Even if they were completely reasonable terms, Wizards had some degree of influence over the game. I have no idea how you compare that to or factor it in to discussions about indie-ness but surely you can't just gloss over the fact that BG3 is a Dungeons and Dragons branded product.
I doubt they signed anything that gave up any creative control over the game. They didn't develop the game for Wizards of the Coast, they just licensed the IP from them. The same is true of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and all the other D&D-branded Infinity Engine games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hm i think you missed a few i wonder why lol

(it's a $40 bundle too lol)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Owl Inspector posted:

It should be illegal to put a colon in the title of a game that isn’t already part of a series, or maybe just in general

HOGs are the only ones that should be allowed to use colons. They pretty much cornered the market.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

hm i think you missed a few i wonder why lol

(it's a $40 bundle too lol)

Can you even play the story stuff in these expansions? I've heard they pulled the plug on some of them.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I think of indie games as having low budgets and the dev studio self funds and publishes, but even that is problematic because what does that actually mean? what is the threshold between indie and large budget game studio? Baldur's Gate 3 arguably isn't an indie game, it was crowdfunded and had investors as well.

BG3 was not crowdfunded. They had a long early access period where they were open about the working going into the game with regular updates but they skipped crowdfunding completely.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
D:OS2 was crowdfunded, and the revenue from that funded BG3, so it was second-generation crowdfunded :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SirSamVimes posted:

That's like saying starfield is an indie game because Bethesda self published
But Bethesda don't self-publish, their publisher is a separate company that is just also called Bethesda.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fez_machine posted:

BG3 was not crowdfunded. They had a long early access period where they were open about the working going into the game with regular updates but they skipped crowdfunding completely.

That's a very nuanced distinction. They got shitloads of money for a demo, that's crowd funded imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megazver posted:

Can you even play the story stuff in these expansions? I've heard they pulled the plug on some of them.

Yes except for Forsaken

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Gromit posted:

HOGs are the only ones that should be allowed to use colons. They pretty much cornered the market.

My HOG definitely uses colons, if you know what I mean :grin:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FishMcCool posted:

:popclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

I only play A-B-A-B-Up-Down-Left-Right-Start games

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 13, 2024