Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I am using what is called “deep water culture” buckets for green beans and a pepper plant. Basically, you take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with nutrient water, cut a 2” or 3” hole in the middle of the lid for your net cup. The plant sits in that cup and is usually supported by media like expanded clay pebbles. The only mechanical part is a small aquarium air pump and air stone. You put the airstone in the bucket for aeration and to toss water up on the roots as the reservoir lowers. As long as you have your nutrient mixed right and your pH adjusted, it’s supposed to be really good for fruiting plants like tomatoes and peppers.

My grow tent is a 5’x2.5’ rectangular box made out of 3/4 pvc and various elbow joints. That the actual “trip to Lowe’s” expense. For the tent material, I just wrapped it all up in 3 Mylar emergency blankets. Inside, I’ve mounted my WalMart grow lights, with a heat lamp all the way up top and fans closer towards the bottom for circulation. Everything is on mechanical outlet timers. My one surviving zucchini and pepper plant have really turned around in the last few days.

I’ve 3D printed a small vertical hydroponic tower that mounts on top of a five gallon bucket, but haven’t got to use it yet…because I hosed up my leafy greens.

I’ve also got a plan for container gardening on my back porch. I have to do something with all these goddam Tidy Cat buckets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have to do something with all these goddam Tidy Cat buckets.

they'd probably be perfect for making into self-watering containers a la the earthtainer:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Oh, yeah, they’re all getting drilled and stacked, baby.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’ve also got a plan for container gardening on my back porch. I have to do something with all these goddam Tidy Cat buckets.

I have a seemingly endless supply of plastic buckets from horse supplements. Now I might have a use for them!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

how do you stop those things from being Mosquito City? is it just that it's hard for adults to get in and lay eggs

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

eke out posted:

how do you stop those things from being Mosquito City? is it just that it's hard for adults to get in and lay eggs

i have two earthtainers. when i first built them i figured i would eventually put a piece of net or something over the fill tube to solve that problem, but then it just never became an issue even though i live in mosquito city most of the summer

that design has the pvc fill tube extend all the way to the bottom and you drill a couple good-sized holes across the tube near the bottom, so i suspect the water level is typically high enough that there's not direct access to any more water surface area than just what's in the tube

i have to diligently eliminate any pooling water all summer, but i've never seen mosquitos in or around the earthtainers

by the way if anyone is interested i have a pdf guide to building these somewhere

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

eke out posted:

I just put a sandwich baggie over the fill pipe with a rubber band and it seemed to work fine.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

goatse guy posted:

I have a seemingly endless supply of plastic buckets from horse supplements. Now I might have a use for them!

That’s a jackpot since they’ll definitely be food grade.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I had a huge stack of empty Vitalix buckets that I turned into planters by just drilling holes in the bottom for drainage and filling with soil. I forget the plastic code that they were stamped with, but they are supposedly food safe. They have turned out great and now I can keep just over fifty peppers going during the summer.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I have set up one sprinkler system, using stuff from that exact website (their warehouse was actually really close to where I was living).

One thing to think about is that they're using different tubing and connectors for the drip irrigation than for sprinkler irrigation. I'm fairly sure the solenoid system you put in your post is only for the sprinkler system pipe, and designed to be buried. There are adapters, though, so you could run buried pipe to each zone, then adapt it to the drip system poly pipe. You'll need a manifold for the solenoids (can be bought pre-assembled), and a box to bury them in.

Or, you could just take their suggestion with that kit you linked and add a hose-end multi outlet timer. It probably won't be as fancy or robust as the solenoid system, but might be enough?

I'd also say to find a calculator online and figure out how much pipe etc you need. 100' sounds like a lot, but if you're thinking four zones it might be way too little.

Edit: for the size of system you're talking about, the pipe cutter is worth getting.

Also, make sure you design out your whole system before purchasing. It sounds like you can email that website and they will help you with your design. That's probably a good idea...

Those are all really good thoughts and comments, thanks!
If there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the sketch in going to make a more detailed plan.

The solenoid valves are mostly because I'm a gigantic nerd and into the whole automation thing

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

the milk machine posted:

by the way if anyone is interested i have a pdf guide to building these somewhere

please post!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ThePopeOfFun posted:

please post!

this should work, it's a pretty good guide and i remember having some trouble tracking it down when i looked a couple years ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1px8UHozOuoTJxPBTjcwFjyMnX2VogWdB/view?usp=sharing

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

therunningman posted:

Those are all really good thoughts and comments, thanks!
If there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the sketch in going to make a more detailed plan.

The solenoid valves are mostly because I'm a gigantic nerd and into the whole automation thing

No worries! And yeah, nothing wrong with the sketch that I can see (with my very limited knowledge). But definitely do get someone to double check quantities and parts before you order. You don't want to get halfway and realize you're missing a few key things.

Oh one last thing: that blue lock stuff is absolutely worth it. So much easier than glueing PEX.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Pioneer42 posted:

I had a huge stack of empty Vitalix buckets that I turned into planters by just drilling holes in the bottom for drainage and filling with soil. I forget the plastic code that they were stamped with, but they are supposedly food safe. They have turned out great and now I can keep just over fifty peppers going during the summer.

That's the dream. I want to grow so many varieties of peppers but I'm so limited on space in my raised beds so I usually just stick to bell and jalapeno.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

goatse guy posted:

That's the dream. I want to grow so many varieties of peppers but I'm so limited on space in my raised beds so I usually just stick to bell and jalapeno.

I keep finding new varieties to try every year, and I don't have the heart to not grow all the varieties I grew the year before...so, more pots. And more seed trays. And more warming mats. And more grow lights, etc. At some point an intervention will be needed.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

What are your favorite varieties? I’m dialing back to mainly Anaheims.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I did something goofy today

It's a red maple and I've only got one tap in it so I'm gonna make approximately 4 ounces of syrup by the end of PA's sugar season, but hey, I haven't let the promise of low yields stop my garden efforts before.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I did something goofy today

It's a red maple and I've only got one tap in it so I'm gonna make approximately 4 ounces of syrup by the end of PA's sugar season, but hey, I haven't let the promise of low yields stop my garden efforts before.

That tree could support three taps. Probably more

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

CommonShore posted:

That tree could support three taps. Probably more

Yep, and I have more taps but I don't have tubing or buckets... that tubing there is the (very well washed) tube from a baby nose Frida. I'm gonna see how much I get from this one before I try and order a bunch more supplies, but if it works the way I hope it does...... I'll definitely be investing in more gear

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Yep, and I have more taps but I don't have tubing or buckets... that tubing there is the (very well washed) tube from a baby nose Frida. I'm gonna see how much I get from this one before I try and order a bunch more supplies, but if it works the way I hope it does...... I'll definitely be investing in more gear

That made me cackle.

In gardening news I got my hardwood mulch in this week for my paths. Almost feels like spring is a possibility.

A little frustrated that the leaves I've had collected since fall 2022 still hasn't really composted into leaf mould. Maybe I could be watering/turning it more. Is there any reason not to use my fresher shredded leaves as mulch?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just run into milk jugs, sometimes multiple taps per jug. The tubing... just have to buy tubing.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

A little frustrated that the leaves I've had collected since fall 2022 still hasn't really composted into leaf mould. Maybe I could be watering/turning it more. Is there any reason not to use my fresher shredded leaves as mulch?

Turning is key to making great compost, but I've seen people rig up clever ways to aerate their compost piles by drilling a bunch of holes in a piece of PVC pipe and sticking that in the pile. I leave the leaves in my garden as mulch and it does just fine so I don't see why you couldn't use your shredded leaves as mulch.

I was thinking about getting a head start on my mulching this year as we haven't had measurable snow in months but we finally got a few inches on Wednesday. Everything beyond the retaining wall and up the hill will be getting mulched and then planted with natives. My yard looks really horrible here but this is what I'm working with. I would eradicate the lawn entirely but I have three dogs that need a lot of space to run.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Some leaves (like oak) are very waxy and require more time and shredding and heat. I will say hot composting did a pretty good job, but that was also summer with a black tarp over the pile. Wish I had more greens to a big pile goin’

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Some leaves (like oak) are very waxy and require more time and shredding and heat. I will say hot composting did a pretty good job, but that was also summer with a black tarp over the pile. Wish I had more greens to a big pile goin’

Yeah mine are mostly oak. I've heard of people having good luck literally throwing leaves into a garbage bag so as to retain heat and moisture. My geobins I got for free from the public library look nicer but aren't retaining enough moisture I think. Plus I haven't added greens.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
This year's "winter" has me wondering when the last frost date will be. Between the 2023 revised USDA zones and the fact that February has been like 65 degrees I really have no idea when it'll be safe to transplant outdoors. I think I waited until mid April last year.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Where I live it's always been a crapshoot anyway, but after last year I am afraid to start anything tender before, like, May 1, a full month after our "usual" last late frost. Dang climate change making the jet stream all wonky.

I don't even pay attention to my hardiness zone now; it's all so random. Will this bush survive? Who knows!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah over here we had a super mild winter, so mild that I thought some flowers that are usually annuals were going to perennialize. Then whoops ten days of hard freeze from the polar vortex. I had a whole bed of kale giving us winter greens and RIP.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My fig trees are on the cusp of waking up and we're supposed to be up to 80F this week, so I did a thing.

I repotted my LSU Purple from a 5G bucket to a SIP of my own design based around a food-safe 10 gallon trash can. And because I a) want many varieties b) don't want to have a million fig trees and c) can't leave good enough alone, I tried my first multi graft tree.

Rootstock is LSU Purple. Left is a (bad) cleft graft of LSU Strawberry. Right is a (better) whip and tongue of LSU Champagne. I pruned off the only branch on the trunk because it was all hosed up, but this thing sends up suckers like crazy. If everything takes, I'll have a purple, green, and gold Mardi Gras LSU fig tree :haw:

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
In case anyone needed another reason to dunk on Baker Creek, they recently got in hot water for renaming an unreleased GMO purple tomato variety and trying to sell it as a naturally bred variety despite 90% of their brand being "GMOs bad!" They pulled the variety from their advertising, posted a halfassed apology stating that they got the variety from a "trusted traditional plant breeder" and that they totally tested the tomatoes earlier and found them to be non-GMO, but they couldn't rule out the POSSIBILITY that GMO pollen was used in the breeding. You know, pollen from the tomato plants that haven't been released yet but accidentally got in Baker Creek's variety, somehow. Also anyone who brings this up or asks too many questions gets blocked from their Facebook page

TL;DR Baker Creek is still run by chucklefucks but this time instead of shilling Cliven Bundy they tried to sell a patented GMO on the down low.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Chicken Thumbs posted:

In case anyone needed another reason to dunk on Baker Creek, they recently got in hot water for renaming an unreleased GMO purple tomato variety and trying to sell it as a naturally bred variety despite 90% of their brand being "GMOs bad!" They pulled the variety from their advertising, posted a halfassed apology stating that they got the variety from a "trusted traditional plant breeder" and that they totally tested the tomatoes earlier and found them to be non-GMO, but they couldn't rule out the POSSIBILITY that GMO pollen was used in the breeding. You know, pollen from the tomato plants that haven't been released yet but accidentally got in Baker Creek's variety, somehow. Also anyone who brings this up or asks too many questions gets blocked from their Facebook page

TL;DR Baker Creek is still run by chucklefucks but this time instead of shilling Cliven Bundy they tried to sell a patented GMO on the down low.

Well god drat it. I never knew this poo poo about Baker Creek.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

:siren: Pepper seed are sown in flats :siren:

it has begun

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

It's been ridiculously record-breakingly warm this winter, and some of our perennials (mostly hostas) are confused and coming up way too early. Should I be doing anything about this? Should I encourage it by watering them, or wait until we're in at a much more normal time?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

If nothing else I'll usually just mulch or pine needle when it happens. The biggest risk is a snap frost at that point and any kind of cover helps them not get zapped.

Chad Sexington posted:

it has begun

Dangit. I was really hoping to be lazy this weekend but I guess I know what I'm working on now. Show off. :v:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Chad Sexington posted:

it has begun

I got my super hots sowed Jan 15th, they've got about three sets of true leaves now in solo cups. This year I'm making a crappy webcam time lapse of them growing for the whole season. Unfortunately my cam doesn't have adjustable focus up close so the quality will be kinda blurry until I move them out to the patio and the camera is a few feet away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my onions and leeks are germinating! They're germinating!!!!!!@!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I got my super hots sowed Jan 15th, they've got about three sets of true leaves now in solo cups. This year I'm making a crappy webcam time lapse of them growing for the whole season. Unfortunately my cam doesn't have adjustable focus up close so the quality will be kinda blurry until I move them out to the patio and the camera is a few feet away.

man some peppers are so slow -- half of mine started in december are in small pots with numerous leaves, meanwhile some hong gochus and aji dulces barely even have their second set of true leaves yet.

probably should've started them at like 80 degree soil temp or something, but my heating mat struggled indoors when it was literally freezing outside

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

eke out posted:

man some peppers are so slow -- half of mine started in december are in small pots with numerous leaves, meanwhile some hong gochus and aji dulces barely even have their second set of true leaves yet.

probably should've started them at like 80 degree soil temp or something, but my heating mat struggled indoors when it was literally freezing outside

Yeah, they're all super slow for the first month or so. I invested the $20 or whatever for a germinating mat and it really helps speed up the germination process for peppers as well as the early growth rate for seedlings. It still took like a week or so before they started popping up, where as lettuce seeds will start sprouting roots overnight on the heating pad.

I planted all C. Chinense varieties this year, the Yellow Fatalii are growing faster than all the others and have the thickest stems. They really seem to be the healthiest and most prolific variety I've grown. I think I'm going to also try a hybrid project this year between Fatalii and peach moruga scorpions.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My peppers and tomatoes had a rough start too. I started mine in mid-January. Unfortunately, I was trialing a new LED grow light setup, and despite following the directions, they got torched pretty good before I raised the lights. I'm way behind in terms of development - some still on their first set of true leaves - but somehow nothing died, and an early application of diluted fertilizer seems to have kicked them back into growth mode.

CommonShore posted:

my onions and leeks are germinating! They're germinating!!!!!!@!

I am growing multiplying onions for the first time (descendents of a single flat my dad bought 20+ years ago) and I am wondering why I slept on these. I'm eating fresh green onions on my eggs every morning :hellyeah:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
This will be my first spring starting my tomatoes and other seeds in late April. Normally I start them (indoors, obviously) earlier. We’re going to be way for 2 weeks starting the first weekend of April, so I didn’t want to start them prior to leaving. Is late April too late to start them in New England?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
No, not too late. The ground won’t be warm enough to plant until mid June. Plus now that the climate is whacked, you can expect them to grow well into October.