Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Yeah ofc, it's just a game with a lot of valid problems but it's not like it's a total turd. If you're into the idea of fusing into a powerful being then you can probably enjoy the game on that alone. It still has the core of a Tales game with skits, music, the power of friendship, etc

the equipment system is a crime agaisnt humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Hellioning posted:

Does anyone like Zestiria? Like, people like Sorey and Mikleo, but does anyone like the game itself?

didn't enjoy the battle system much, but I was entertained by the story and characters. Somehow loved Berseria...even though it was just spamming the same attacks over and over the same.

edit: oh yea, the equipment system was rear end

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

babypolis posted:

the equipment system is a crime agaisnt humanity
agreed but I'm also one of those fans who just wants to go back to the graces title system

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think everyone wants the graces title system back tbh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Zesteria is a total turd. What good ideas it has it squanders hard as possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah the Grace Title System owned.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Arise's title system was such a cocktease.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Zestiria has genuine issues but also I loved it despite that. And I have found other people who really liked it. There are double digits of us.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Alisha and Rose is a treasure

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

as for 'good tales games' the issue is everyone has different opinions because to some people symphonia is a beloved jrpg classic and to some people its one of the worst modern tales games

Even calling it modern is generous as hell as it's stylistically and narratively 90s standard anime jrpg as gently caress for a game released in 2003.

Like, drat I get the whole "played 200+hrs of this game when a child" nostalgia but play that loving scene between Llyod and Colette where he goes "It's hot, no it's cold, no I lied again it's hot" and make them defend it

If they say they just loved the combat, that's one thing, because Grandia 2 is one of my all time favorites but 80% of that is how much fun the combat system is and I can freely admit it's not a very good game overall by the jrpg standards of that era.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
If someone held a gun to my head, I would rather play Zesteria than Arise. Zesteria was largely a boring game whereas Arise just kept making me madder and madder the more I played it.

Edit: It really gets my goat that FF16 got dragged over how it handled it's magical slavery and Arise did not.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 13, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what's wrong with hot/cold coffee scene
is it like how people make fun of the Titus laughing scene when it makes sense in context anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Even calling it modern is generous as hell as it's stylistically and narratively 90s standard anime jrpg as gently caress for a game released in 2003.

Like, drat I get the whole "played 200+hrs of this game when a child" nostalgia but play that loving scene between Llyod and Colette where he goes "It's hot, no it's cold, no I lied again it's hot" and make them defend it

If they say they just loved the combat, that's one thing, because Grandia 2 is one of my all time favorites but 80% of that is how much fun the combat system is and I can freely admit it's not a very good game overall by the jrpg standards of that era.

Okay, I'm going to bite and ask "what is wrong with the coffee scene." Like the entire point of the scene is that he's catching her in a lie based off her losing sensation. It's not the overall top tier writing or anything but I don't get why you'd hold it up as the worst thing ever.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Failboattootoot posted:

If someone held a gun to my head, I would rather play Zesteria than Arise. Zesteria was largely a boring game whereas Arise just kept making me madder and madder the more I played it.

i comfort myself by knowing it wasn't a Tales game in the beginning and they just decided to repurpose it a bit to make it a Tales game. Its adopted.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's the ideal illustration of Lloyd's and Colette's entire early relationship being based on her not trusting him and him barreling over boundaries as a result, which only gets resolved when everyone agrees Lloyd was a badass actually and unrelatedly she stops having independent thoughts anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

It's the ideal illustration of Lloyd's and Colette's entire early relationship being based on her not trusting him and him barreling over boundaries as a result, which only gets resolved when everyone agrees Lloyd was a badass actually and unrelatedly she stops having independent thoughts anyway.

I don't really think that's a particularly fair read of that particular scene. Like he calls her out on a lie about the negative impact their quest is having on her, and I don't think it's pretty reasonable to go "well he should just mind his own business and shut up." Like it is like saying Tidus is wrong for calling out the lovely parts of Yevon in FFX. (Which isn't a surprise since Symphonia is just Not As Good FFX in terms of plot.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

thats actually one of the better scenes in the game it just doesnt go anywhere cause theres no push and pull with lloyd and colette after that its just everyone agreeing lloyd is right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think that's a particularly fair read of that particular scene. Like he calls her out on a lie about the negative impact their quest is having on her, and I don't think it's pretty reasonable to go "well he should just mind his own business and shut up." Like it is like saying Tidus is wrong for calling out the lovely parts of Yevon in FFX. (Which isn't a surprise since Symphonia is just Not As Good FFX in terms of plot.)
the main difference is that when tidus calls out the lovely parts of yevon hes talking to yuna about them and mad for her sake and think its unjust while lloyd is written in a way where he comes off more petulant, like his issue is that he specifically doesnt want this

its a subtle difference but it has a huge effect on how things come across

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
What are the good pick ups for the RPG Maker sale or RPG maker games in general?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rascyc posted:

Yeah ofc, it's just a game with a lot of valid problems but it's not like it's a total turd. If you're into the idea of fusing into a powerful being then you can probably enjoy the game on that alone. It still has the core of a Tales game with skits, music, the power of friendship, etc

For all of it's issues at least it never got it's mainline status revoked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fez_machine posted:

What are the good pick ups for the RPG Maker sale or RPG maker games in general?
exit fate is one of the better rpgmaker games thats an actual classic style RPG and not some weird indie horror thing

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

fez_machine posted:

A license of MV is cool because it’s all built with JavaScript and if you know a little JavaScript it’s easy to poke at.

It crashes a lot though even if you don’t mess with that stuff so save often.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fez_machine posted:

last profit is neat, soulestination is even cheaper than it normally is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the main difference is that when tidus calls out the lovely parts of yevon hes talking to yuna about them and mad for her sake and think its unjust while lloyd is written in a way where he comes off more petulant, like his issue is that he specifically doesnt want this

its a subtle difference but it has a huge effect on how things come across

I guess I'm not seeing the huge difference between that scene and, like, when Tidus finds out about Yuna sacrificing herself and basically flips out on the rest of the cast for not telling him. (I think Tidus and Yuna overall are better handled but the coffee scene in particular I think is probably one of the few good scenes Lloyd and Colette have.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheMightyBoops posted:

A license of MV is cool because it’s all built with JavaScript and if you know a little JavaScript it’s easy to poke at.

It crashes a lot though even if you don’t mess with that stuff so save often.

There is nothing cool about JavaScript

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

fez_machine posted:

I second Exit Fate because like... it's a real RPG, it's free, and it's even a Suikodenlike with a decent plot (that cribs heavily from Suikoden2 and a little from Xenogears). Will probably never be sold for money since all the music is taken from other JRPGs.

If you want some weirder graphics and plotting, Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening is a horror RPG in the Earthbound vein of things (as opposed to, a horror walking sim made in RPGmaker). It's also free and very high quality for that price!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea final profit is neat, and so is the lost art of innkeeping, tho neither are conventional RPGs in the slightest

also it's not on sale but Hylics is only $3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I'm not seeing the huge difference between that scene and, like, when Tidus finds out about Yuna sacrificing herself and basically flips out on the rest of the cast for not telling him. (I think Tidus and Yuna overall are better handled but the coffee scene in particular I think is probably one of the few good scenes Lloyd and Colette have.)
oh its nto that coffee scene specifically im talkign their dynamic as a whole. like i said the coffee scene is one of the better scenes in symphonia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd be fine for lloyd to come across more egocentric if there was more of a push and pull to his and colette's relationship and they do have colette come across more actively deceptive towards lloyd than yuna was, but then you get to tethe'alla and colette becomes a literal prop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

oh its nto that coffee scene specifically im talkign their dynamic as a whole. like i said the coffee scene is one of the better scenes in symphonia

Oh, yeah, then I 100% agree with you as a whole. Lloyd is way more of a poo poo than Tidus overall and Collette is barely a character after the first half or so.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

No Dignity posted:

Thinking about that old book barn post where the guy was saying fantasy wasn't mature enough and then leapt straight to torture and casual BDSM in society as examples of what maturity in a story would be

You sure they weren't just referring to the pudding scene in Gravity's Rainbow?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the coffee scene i don't really like but that's not so much for the scene itself as for how the ultimate dynamic in symphonia is really one sided

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Failboattootoot posted:

I liked it a lot, it definitely like a budget atelier game. It was a breezy game with an easy combat system and a straightforward plot but a fair bit of charm. What specifically are you worried about?

I like the idea of a breezy game, but so far, this hasn't really introduced a compelling cast. One nice thing about the Atelier games I've played (Ryza 1 and 2) is that they're pretty quick to introduce you to a lot of NPCs, whereas so far in this game, I have only met Mean Bird, Silent Troll Giant, and Soldier Who Sucks.

I think if the game had a promise of compelling gameplay this wouldn't matter so much, but a lot of the steam reviews talk about combat being trivial, which has me worried I just won't find much to enjoy in this game - if the story is bad and the combat is dull, there's not much left.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

abraham linksys posted:

I like the idea of a breezy game, but so far, this hasn't really introduced a compelling cast. One nice thing about the Atelier games I've played (Ryza 1 and 2) is that they're pretty quick to introduce you to a lot of NPCs, whereas so far in this game, I have only met Mean Bird, Silent Troll Giant, and Soldier Who Sucks.

I think if the game had a promise of compelling gameplay this wouldn't matter so much, but a lot of the steam reviews talk about combat being trivial, which has me worried I just won't find much to enjoy in this game - if the story is bad and the combat is dull, there's not much left.

Ah ok. So the combat starts off a little too easy and quickly descends into completely trivial.

The main story itself was good but I am automatically on board for any game where the plot goal is kill the pope so I can't deny my bias' here. It moved at a good pace and the moments that were supposed to hit mostly did.

The cast definitely starts weak, for the first few hours I didn't care for anybody. But I really came around on Pieberry and mean bird and ended up liking both of them. They introduce some better characters, but the character writing on the whole is just kinda fine. So if you really need great character writing, you may bounce off this game. Kinda hard to say though as I usually care more about character writing than plot and I still liked it so your mileage may vary.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The coffee scene was excellent and the last good scene Colette had.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought it was weird that Symphonia started with Collette being chosen as the hero to save the world and then she wasn't the main character, Lloyd is.

Also I assume it's counted as a modern Tales game because even though it's still linear combat, it is also 3D I guess.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean Collette getting her personality removed is a Bad Thing, it's a Goal of the Villains, it's not supposed to be good

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fez_machine posted:

very personally speaking, VX Ace is still my favorite, I very much dislike the newer web-based ones. they reek of chromium embedded jank. that said VX Ace has limitations, like it can only get up to 640x480 resolution unless you do something wild like program an entirely new game executable for it or something.

XP is a perfectly good tool and it's the free one so it's definitely worth just getting for your steam library, but it does run an older version of the RGSS and it's noticeably slower when comparing heavily scripted games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I thought it was weird that Symphonia started with Collette being chosen as the hero to save the world and then she wasn't the main character, Lloyd is.

Also I assume it's counted as a modern Tales game because even though it's still linear combat, it is also 3D I guess.

Honestly "the lady is the chosen important one with the legendary powers and destiny but she ain't the main character" was an extremely common thing for a good long while.

Junpei posted:

I mean Collette getting her personality removed is a Bad Thing, it's a Goal of the Villains, it's not supposed to be good

I think there's a difference between the villain's plot (bad) and what the game does (does not give Colette focus, agency, character growth or even really many scenes, especially if Lloyd's friendship meter goes for someone else) poo poo, Zelos gets more than she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Failboattootoot posted:

Ah ok. So the combat starts off a little too easy and quickly descends into completely trivial.

The main story itself was good but I am automatically on board for any game where the plot goal is kill the pope so I can't deny my bias' here. It moved at a good pace and the moments that were supposed to hit mostly did.

The cast definitely starts weak, for the first few hours I didn't care for anybody. But I really came around on Pieberry and mean bird and ended up liking both of them. They introduce some better characters, but the character writing on the whole is just kinda fine. So if you really need great character writing, you may bounce off this game. Kinda hard to say though as I usually care more about character writing than plot and I still liked it so your mileage may vary.

Gotcha. I think I'll refund it for now since $30 is a bit steep for a game I can see myself abandoning in a few more hours, but I might give it another go if it goes on sale, or if they release the Hard Mode mentioned in their most recent news update.

Still on the hunt for some kind of grinding podcast game, just want one with a bit more going on... kind of a tricky thing to find, since so many games fall on one end of the difficulty extreme or the other. Like, a dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey seems cool conceptually, but way harder than what I want in practice. I'm pretty overloaded with story-heavy games right now (LAD:IW, Ace Attorney, some day I'm going to start on Live A Live in earnest...), so really want an RPG that provides a grind with engaging mechanics. Maybe one of the FF Pixel Remasters or a Dragon Quest makes sense...