Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

originally george marshall wanted to be a lawyer but gave up on law school after being forced to endure a full week of marshall law puns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
anyone have a good book about the clintons? I feel like they're all either fat sloppy blowjobs for the clintons or full in on them being actual reptile people.

uninterrupted has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Jan 30, 2024

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

uninterrupted posted:

anyone have a good book about the clintons? I feel like they're all either fat sloppy blowjobs for the clintons or full in on them being actual reptile people.

probably gonna need for them to be dead and buried before that happens. they'll let the crockpot poo poo out because that's useful in shitcoating anyone legit looking into them but anyone sniffing around the real poo poo is gonna get killed in an unsolved home invasion / robbery gone wrong

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

the 120 days of sodom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im fascinated by the layers of misinformation in this comic from the implication that an east german farmer would need to come to berlin in order to jump over to west germany that theyd be able to do so without having to go through the asylum process and then just loving around as a wandering minstrel until you get to canada because its not like anybody else cared about borders no that was just a crazy communist thing

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Anyone have any good reads on Russian wars/interventions since the end of the Cold War? Especially Chechnya and Georgia.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Sancho Banana posted:

Anyone have any good reads on Russian wars/interventions since the end of the Cold War? Especially Chechnya and Georgia.

it's definitely got a Point Of View but putin by phillip short touches on them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Some Guy TT posted:

im fascinated by the layers of misinformation in this comic from the implication that an east german farmer would need to come to berlin in order to jump over to west germany that theyd be able to do so without having to go through the asylum process and then just loving around as a wandering minstrel until you get to canada because its not like anybody else cared about borders no that was just a crazy communist thing

For Better or For Worse deserves to be relegated to the chamber pot of history

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

For Better or For Worse deserves to be relegated to the chamber pot of history

Her life was so boring she made up a kid and that always made me giggle

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EDyhjpykPg

Typical American perspective, but still fairly interesting.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Some Guy TT posted:

How hard could it really be to sneak into France from west Germany? Like they had freedom of movement for each others nationals whilst still having passport checks, so to me that says you can probably just walk through a forest somewhere.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EDyhjpykPg

Typical American perspective, but still fairly interesting.

"I love maps!"

- Jonathan Parshall

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

There was no asylum process. West German governments considered themselves the legitimate government of the entirety of Germany (and until 1970 they meant the borders of 1937). Anyone born in the GDR was already considered a citizen and could just walk into a registry office and request a West German passport because they weren't an immigrant, they had been a citizen for their entire life.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

How hard could it really be to sneak into France from west Germany? Like they had freedom of movement for each others nationals whilst still having passport checks, so to me that says you can probably just walk through a forest somewhere.

Pretty sure you can cross most of the worlds borders if you just walk through a forest along said border somewhere.

This number is shrinking with the popularity of walls and fences lately and also some forests may kill you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like the part where Parshall talks about the El Alamein battleplan being partly designed around taking a position that you know the Germans need to counter-attack into/against, and then shifting into the tactical defensive to meet it, where you have an advantage, such as the sponson-armed Grant tanks being able to fight more effectively since being in a defensive role negates the lack of a turret.

it mirrors the American Civil War mentality where you want to move to take strategically important points, but then shift into an operational/tactical defensive, because the actual conduct of a battle favors the defender, even if the "defender" is the side that marched offensively to take key territory before planting their feet and daring the other side to dislodge them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so this video was published in October 2022, and Parshall talks about the transformation that the Red Army undergoes in 1942, and how they rip up and rebuild their organization and come out swinging, and he makes an off-handed comment about how it pales in comparison to the Russian Army in Ukraine, and how they're "unadaptable" and how poorly they're performing

well, guess what happens a year later, Jon!!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

so this video was published in October 2022, and Parshall talks about the transformation that the Red Army undergoes in 1942, and how they rip up and rebuild their organization and come out swinging, and he makes an off-handed comment about how it pales in comparison to the Russian Army in Ukraine, and how they're "unadaptable" and how poorly they're performing

well, guess what happens a year later, Jon!!!

The war in The Ukraine has made many historians stupid.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Did you really use the "The"?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Thee Ukraine

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's not my fault they forgot to include the "The" in their name when they founded their country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Die, Ukraine, Die

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think the American tendency to disparage El Al has to do with the Patton-Montgomery rivalry that is embedded in American popular memory. Also this idea that American forces would have somehow done "better" if they had been fighting the Germans and Italians since 1939, and the Allies only really got going once American troops and know how (as opposed to American industry) arrived.

The one time Patton needed to carefully manage a set piece battle and rely on artillery, the Lorraine campaign, he instead threw his men into prepared German defences for four months without those boring elaborate fire plans.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

if u're not supposed to use the "the" then what the are you supposed to use?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like the part where Parshall talks about the El Alamein battleplan being partly designed around taking a position that you know the Germans need to counter-attack into/against, and then shifting into the tactical defensive to meet it, where you have an advantage, such as the sponson-armed Grant tanks being able to fight more effectively since being in a defensive role negates the lack of a turret.

it mirrors the American Civil War mentality where you want to move to take strategically important points, but then shift into an operational/tactical defensive, because the actual conduct of a battle favors the defender, even if the "defender" is the side that marched offensively to take key territory before planting their feet and daring the other side to dislodge them

it's always been the case that you want to be on the offensive strategically and on the defensive tactically, even good ol' sun tzu basically wrote as much

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only time it's always better to attack is when you're playing Risk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

don't ties on dice rolls go the way of the defender in Risk?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

don't ties on dice rolls go the way of the defender in Risk?

Yeah but you get to use up to three dice instead of two.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

if u're not supposed to use the "the" then what the are you supposed to use?

it's your Ukraine. Of course it's company policy never to, not imply ownership in the event of an Ukraine... always use the possessive article your Ukraine, never the Ukraine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
from Shelford Bidwell's "Fire-Power":

this bit is interesting because I can sort of see it tying back to my earlier reading of "Armies of Sand", where the Egyptian and Iraqi armies of the late 20th century tried to make up for the poor tactical/operational performance of their units by engaging in very precise, very impeccably trained set-piece battles. In order to make sure that the first 24 hours of an op would go off without a hitch, every unit would be handed-down a script that described what they were supposed to do, and they'd memorize that script until they could do it in their sleep

and then they'd do it

now, this would result in fairly good performance for those 24 hours, but as soon as the battle expanded beyond that, the lack of initiative and flexibility would rear its head again and prevent further exploitation gains

what Bidwell seems to be describing here is something similar being experienced by the Brits, except they also presumably had the time and resources to go the one step further and begin training their troops and their leadership to overcome the inflexibility

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Fish of hemp posted:

It is a grammatical construction. Do you object to "the usa"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Weka posted:

that cant be right ive been assured by reliable sources that the european union is essential to the continents functioning precisely because such things were impossible without it why im not sure i can even think of anything else it does given thats the only aspect of it anyone talks about

Peggotty posted:

There was no asylum process. West German governments considered themselves the legitimate government of the entirety of Germany (and until 1970 they meant the borders of 1937). Anyone born in the GDR was already considered a citizen and could just walk into a registry office and request a West German passport because they weren't an immigrant, they had been a citizen for their entire life.

and this one makes even less sense whats stopping any random criminal from jumping the border and pretending to be someone else entirely if theres no asylum process why for all we know that janitor could be a nazi

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Some Guy TT posted:

and this one makes even less sense whats stopping any random criminal from jumping the border and pretending to be someone else entirely if theres no asylum process why for all we know that janitor could be a nazi

It's West Germany the only reason they would care that a janitor was a Nazi would be so they knew to offer him a high level position in the government.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What was Russian performance in ww1 like? I've heard plenty of stories about how incompetent the army was, especially in the early stages of the war, but tbh I've heard that about every other war they've been in. Obviously morale was low enough that the entire country collapsed and no country really covered itself in glory there, but how did they compare to the rest of the major powers?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sie...stern%20Poland.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

What was Russian performance in ww1 like? I've heard plenty of stories about how incompetent the army was, especially in the early stages of the war, but tbh I've heard that about every other war they've been in. Obviously morale was low enough that the entire country collapsed and no country really covered itself in glory there, but how did they compare to the rest of the major powers?

That's sort of a broad topic - what I'll say is that while the individual soldier was competent, they had problems with poor operational and strategic leadership, as well as supply; equipage, ammunition and the likes. Both were eventually remedied, the Brusilov offensive demonstrated that it was possible to Russia to launch successful operations, and the shell and gun and ammo shortages were eventually rectified, but the domestic political situation, as we all know, deteriorated, and I would say they ran out of time before their army was able to take these developments further forward.

I would recommend "The Eastern Front 1914-1917" by Norman Stone for a good reference on this topic

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
someone else will have to recommend a book on when brusilov took command and actually start implementing things like stormtrooper tactics, but the guns of august has pretty good coverage of the hilarious russian blunders that was the invasion of east prussia

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

They did sort of okay at the beginning. They tried to invade East Prussia and got their asses handed to them in a really bad way. However they did manage to conquer most of Galicia because the Austro-Hungarian Empire was an even bigger clownshow than they were.

Then in 1915 there was a counterattack, most of Galicia was retaken, and the Central Powers conquered all the Russian bits of Poland and some of the Baltic littoral as well.

In 1916 the Brusilov Offensive went through the Austro-Hungarians like a hot knife through butter. They kicked in the door, and the whole rotten structure of the Austro-Hungarian Empire almost came crashing down. However, it was poorly supported and essentially sabotaged from the inside.

In 1917 the Revolution happened and that was all she wrote.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Feb 22, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There was this lasting shortage of artillery shells that affected the Russians for years during the war. I see someone else posted about it upthread. Reading all the sources from the time reminds me of all the thousands of pages that were written about scurvy before anyone knew a drat thing about vitamins. The shell shortage was a mysterious wasting disease that sapped the war effort that was nobody's fault and happened for no reason anyone could seem to figure out. It was the whole sick system that was at fault.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Russian invasion of East Prussia was essentially a sleepy fat cat batting its paw at a mote of dust. Operation Bagration, which trod the same ground, by the same peoples, was the greatest land-based offensive ever undertaken by humans on this Earth. 30 years apart.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Russian invasion of East Prussia was essentially a sleepy fat cat batting its paw at a mote of dust.

and then losing to the dust mote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Russian invasion of East Prussia was essentially a sleepy fat cat batting its paw at a mote of dust. Operation Bagration, which trod the same ground, by the same peoples, was the greatest land-based offensive ever undertaken by humans on this Earth. 30 years apart.

Lol brusilov and bagration were closer together than gulf war 1 and today