Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nah you're fine we're not gonna get more official stuff for a while and we can discuss official stuff anyway.

As for who is running Lulu Land, I'd say if you wanna go for a deep cut use "Legion".

I'm also pretty sure Zestiel isn't a mortal sinner, some of the stuff around him is suspicious enough that I'm guessing he's a Fallen Angel, and not one of the Winners like Adam (and presumably Vaggie) but an actual heavenborn being like Lucifer etc.

I considered that for Zestiel, but a friend gave me an idea I like better

what is Legion from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Data Graham posted:

Making my way through HB, getting about to where I need a thread to read peeking through fingers.

Truth Seekers is :tviv:

yeah, dont gently caress with daddy hoothoot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also I need an excuse to get the Helluva and Hazbin characters to meet. The Sins are easy enough, but I'm blanking on I.M.P.

I considered having Lucifer hire them as security for something, but he'd probably want someone, you know, more well known/not colossal gently caress ups.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nah you're fine we're not gonna get more official stuff for a while and we can discuss official stuff anyway.

As for who is running Lulu Land, I'd say if you wanna go for a deep cut use "Legion".

I'm also pretty sure Zestiel isn't a mortal sinner, some of the stuff around him is suspicious enough that I'm guessing he's a Fallen Angel, and not one of the Winners like Adam (and presumably Vaggie) but an actual heavenborn being like Lucifer etc.

Word of God will hide things that are meant to be surprise reveals. Vaggie's mortal life was detailed, the fact she was a Mortal Soul Sent to Heaven and became an exorcist was not. So Zestiel being something different (and whatever is going on with Alastor's Voodoo) are very obvious mysteries to me that at least in the first case have an easy angle for an answer.

Especially if the Goetia are fallen Angels too (Sera and Emily have a birdlike appearance that they change to more human one) then Zestiel's appearance is very suspicious with how similar it is to Lucifer in basic structure. Plus wings are pretty rare on sinners I feel. To the point where anyone with wings is suspicious to me (Husker included).

Wait, it was? What was Vaggie like as a human then

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm still betting the end of that is going to come back to bite the gang someday though (it just felt like it was setting up a plot point down the line

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nodosaur posted:

I considered that for Zestiel, but a friend gave me an idea I like better

what is Legion from?

Legion is a literal legion of demons using a collectivist name who inhabit a mortal soul on earth and get exorcised by Jesus as part pf his travels and negotiations with Satanic forces. They're relatively faceless (enough demons for a whole flock of sheep) but could work as the "faceless legion" who work at Lulu Land. Thus the management would have simply been placed into the employees hands during Lucifer's depression. A Hive Mind demon basically that Lucifer and/or Satan can control/employ.

Larryb posted:

From memory, Prostitute from one of the Spanish speaking South American Country. That's why she uses Spanish at times and the "Taco in a Twist" line from the pilot is either racist or sexist (Taco as a slang/slur for both her nationality and her parts) and why I thought she might be Camilla's third daughter (and still might be), thus getting the duet early on with Carmilla.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 13, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

also I need an excuse to get the Helluva and Hazbin characters to meet. The Sins are easy enough, but I'm blanking on I.M.P.

I considered having Lucifer hire them as security for something, but he'd probably want someone, you know, more well known/not colossal gently caress ups.

I dont think we ever get a cross over proper. I think we get them in a crowd shot at some point OR a billboard or something. I think you best you get is maybe stolas in the background of some kinda big to do royal thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like Vaggie could still be a mortal soul...alongside my idea that they abandon their memories/names and get groomed into killers and named by Adam.

The idea is to have her end up on Earth at some point and find a relative and regain knowledge of her old life and identity.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont think we ever get a cross over proper. I think we get them in a crowd shot at some point OR a billboard or something. I think you best you get is maybe stolas in the background of some kinda big to do royal thing.

Oh, I don't think so either

I just want it to happen in my story.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

I'm still betting the end of that is going to come back to bite the gang someday though (it just felt like it was setting up a plot point down the line

probably. I am still sorta waiting for stolas to have his moment of tearing some one up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. I am still sorta waiting for stolas to have his moment of tearing some one up.

He kinda has that with the DHORKS where he possesses an agent while also summoning himself. He's just not a violent type I think, but can pull off some crazy hell wizard poo poo when prepared.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

...Alastor is the one to hire I.M.P.

Because he thought it'd be hilarious

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

Lucifer decides to host a meeting of Hell's royalty/leadership in the newly rebuilt Hotel to help promote Charlie's ideas to other Hellborn Powerbases. The Goetic Families send Stolas among others and he brings Octavia and IMP as a security detail.

Maybe he's making a point to try and counter Alastor helping Charlie get closer to the Mortal Overlords, in a similar way to their "better parent" musical duel.

Edit: Especially if better relations between Sinners and Hellborn is something Charlie wants to do, it'd help her have permanent employees for the Hotel if she could hire from the other rings, rather than rely on Sinners (who might leave or be redeemed and go to heaven). Ironically it also would create a sense of Charlie actually trying to create a more traditional redemptive hell, where the local demons help mortal sinners deal with their sins (but through therapy instead of torture).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 13, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Legion is a literal legion of demons using a collectivist name who inhabit a mortal soul on earth and get exorcised by Jesus as part pf his travels and negotiations with Satanic forces. They're relatively faceless (enough demons for a whole flock of sheep) but could work as the "faceless legion" who work at Lulu Land. Thus the management would have simply been placed into the employees hands during Lucifer's depression. A Hive Mind demon basically that Lucifer and/or Satan can control/employ.

From memory, Prostitute from one of the Spanish speaking South American Country. That's why she uses Spanish at times and the "Taco in a Twist" line from the pilot is either racist or sexist (Taco as a slang/slur for both her nationality and her parts) and why I thought she might be Camilla's third daughter (and still might be), thus getting the duet early on with Carmilla.

Interesting that she initially made it into heaven regardless then (proving once again that the rules for becoming a “winner” seem completely arbitrary all things considered). I wonder if the mortal lives of the sinner characters will ever wind up being a factor in the series at some point

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 13, 2024

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Lucifer decides to host a meeting of Hell's royalty/leadership in the newly rebuilt Hotel to help promote Charlie's ideas to other Hellborn Powerbases. The Goetic Families send Stolas among others and he brings Octavia and IMP as a security detail.

Maybe he's making a point to try and counter Alastor helping Charlie get closer to the Mortal Overlords, in a similar way to their "better parent" musical duel.

Edit: Especially if better relations between Sinners and Hellborn is something Charlie wants to do, it'd help her have permanent employees for the Hotel if she could hire from the other rings, rather than rely on Sinners (who might leave or be redeemed and go to heaven). Ironically it also would create a sense of Charlie actually trying to create a more traditional redemptive hell, where the local demons help mortal sinners deal with their sins (but through therapy instead of torture).

Oh that works much better.

It also works with my idea that Lucifer decides to open the other rings up to the Sinners instead of having them be forced to stay in Pride.

EDIT - This will be after a plot where they're hired by someone to assassinate Vaggie after only being told that an Exterminator has infiltrated the Hotel run by Lucifer's daughter.

Blitzø accepts because he thinks it'll get him a favor from the big L-man himself if they "protect" his daughter, and also because he gets super loving hard at the idea of killing an Angel.

basically I got an additional suggestion from a friend.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 13, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Interesting that she initially made it into heaven regardless then (proving once again that the rules for becoming a “winner” seem completely arbitrary all things considered). I wonder if the mortal lives of the sinner characters will ever wind up being a factor in the series at some point

Ehhhhh, the Bible actually does have at least 2 stories of Jesus interacting with prostitutes (and he mentions them in others). He actively resists condemning them for their lifestyle and instead forgives and blesses them etc. anecdotally you can translate one of his speeches to the Pharisees (religious overseers) that Tax Collectors and Prostitutes will get into heaven before the corrupt holy officials.

It very likely is arbitrary, but prostitution is explicitly something Jesus is relatively neutral and understanding of in the bible. It isn't necessarily an untoward lustful sin to do, sex as an inherently sinful act (rather than only sinful in specific circumstances) comes from dogmatic stuff from churches more often than actual biblical writing.

Like how being paid to eat food would not be gluttonous unless you overindulged and harmed people with your gluttony. I suspect sin in the universe is based on causing harm to the undeserving, rather than the emotional act of sinning.

Edit: In Universe, the Sinners in hell for Lust seem to be more like Valentino. Assaulters and Abusers, not Vaggie (a lesbian who had to prostitute herself), or Angel Dust (a closeted gay mobster). Angel Dust is probably in hell for all the murder and drugs he did as a mafia son.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 13, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Wedding. You know the one. :3:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Wedding. You know the one. :3:

ha ha

Lucifer would definitely want someone more competent for that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ehhhhh, the Bible actually does have at least 2 stories of Jesus interacting with prostitutes (and he mentions them in others). He actively resists condemning them for their lifestyle and instead forgives and blesses them etc. anecdotally you can translate one of his speeches to the Pharisees (religious overseers) that Tax Collectors and Prostitutes will get into heaven before the corrupt holy officials.

It very likely is arbitrary, but prostitution is explicitly something Jesus is relatively neutral and understanding of in the bible. It isn't necessarily an untoward lustful sin to do, sex as an inherently sinful act (rather than only sinful in specific circumstances) comes from dogmatic stuff from churches more often than actual biblical writing.

Like how being paid to eat food would not be gluttonous unless you overindulged and harmed people with your gluttony. I suspect sin in the universe is based on causing harm to the undeserving, rather than the emotional act of sinning.

Edit: In Universe, the Sinners in hell for Lust seem to be more like Valentino. Assaulters and Abusers, not Vaggie (a lesbian who had to prostitute herself, or Angel Dust a closeted gay mobster). Angel Dust is probably in hell for all the murder and drugs he did as a mafia son.

Yeah that’s fair. Speaking of Angel, I kind of want to know more about his sister now and how she was apparently the only member of the family that made it to heaven

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Yeah that’s fair. Speaking of Angel, I kind of want to know more about his sister now and how she was apparently the only member of the family that made it to heaven

That might largely be circumstance. His brother and father are in hell, his sister is in heaven, considering he's closeted himself and the implied earth time period in question, Molly might have been kept apart from the family business entirely. If anything it implies there probably is an actual determination and judgement happening, if Molly was kept apart from her family business and so didn't participate in the criminal activity why should she go to hell for the sins of her father and brothers.

Basically, sexist 1900s family mafia values meant the princess had no sin to her name.

It also explains Adam, all his sinful acts happened after he was already dead and sorted, Heaven simply allowing his worst personality traits to fester. Since the only example on screen of reassignment involved the character dying again first.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 13, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

ha ha

Lucifer would definitely want someone more competent for that

Was actually thinking Fizz and Ozzie's big day. Charlie gets invited and has Vaggie come as her plus one. She's not a sinner so I think it's a legal loophole they can exploit. I could definitely see Ozzie rehiring I.M.P to act as security since Blitzo steps his game up whenever Fizz is involved.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Was actually thinking Fizz and Ozzie's big day. Charlie gets invited and has Vaggie come as her plus one. She's not a sinner so I think it's a legal loophole they can exploit.

Oh.

That doesn't matter anyway, as again, I have Lucifer opening up the other rings to sinners.

EDIT - Hm.

...I'm tempted to have them have reinforced That Wall with angelic steel to have it keep from being blown apart

But also I love a running gag

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 13, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just noticed a running gag of how Charlie is very portable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErqSF0Oc7w

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
High heelys

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So here's what I worked out for my first few "episodes" (will be told in the form of multiple chapters)

quote:

Von Eldritch Family Matters
The re-opening of the Hazbin Hotel is shaken by the Hotel’s newest guest: the heir and heiress of the von Eldritch family, Seviathan and Helsa. The problem? They happen to be Charlie’s ex-boyfriend and greatest rival respectively. As drama unfolds at the Hotel, Charlie struggles to figure out how to redeem two people she vehemently dislikes.
Introduces: Seviathan von Eldritch, Helsa von Eldritch, Crymini, Baxter, Lilith Morningstar, re-introducing Velvette, Valentino, and Vox

The Most Magical Place in Hell
Lucifer sees tensions are high at the hotel between the old guard and the newbies, and convinces Charlie they all need a day of fun and team building at the theme park he created, Lu Lu World. However, when they get there, they’ve found that Walter, the demon he left in charge of the place during his depression, has turned Lulu Land into his own personal fiefdom. Walter is fired, but it’s up to the Hazbin Hotel gang to get the park back on track...but Helsa and the fact Hell is full of sinners may make that difficult.
Introduces: Walter, Mammon

Imminent Multiple Perils
In order to weaken the Hazbin Hotel’s growing influence, the Vees use a proxy to hire assassins to kill an angel they claim has “infiltrated” the hotel. The assassins? None other than the fine folks at I.M.P., the Immediate Murder Professionals! Not told all the details and thinking this will get him in good with Lucifer and his daughter, Blitzø accepts the job despite Moxxi’s reservations. The result is nothing less than an all out brawl in the Hotel! Vaggie vs. Milly! Blitzø vs. Everyone! The incredibly one sided match of Charlie vs. Moxxi! A surprise ending featuring the return of a beloved character! This one has it all.
Introduces: Blitzø Buckzo, Moxxi Knolastname, Millie Knolastname, Loona Buckzo, Arakniss, and re-introducing Sir Pentious

Story D’arc
Sir Pentious has returned to hell as an Ambassador of Heaven, alongside Emily and the messenger of Heaven’s elders, none other than Jeanne d’arc herself. As the Hotel welcomes back Pentious, Charlie is confronted with the revelation that redemption has been proven possible, only to be conflicted about her changing priorities in the face of this new information. Jeanne’s views of the Hotel and Hell itself force her to re-evaluate her own priorities as well. In the end, with the support of Sir Pentious, Charlie decides on a new course for the Hotel...and possibly Hell itself.
Introduces: Re-introducing Emily and Sera, Jeanne d’arc, Michael, Gabriel, Raphael

Lone Spider and Cub
Crymini runs away from the Hotel after reacting badly to Charlie’s news about the Hotel’s new purpose. Angel, fearing for her safety, follows her into Pentagram City in order to bring her back, with Jeanne unknowingly following him. Crymini is swept up into an encounter with Valentino, forcing Angel to make a decision that will change the course of his afterlife forever. Meanwhile, Lilith makes a deal with the other Vee’s.
Introduces: Reintroduces Zeezi.

Battle of the Builders
Sir Pentious hates Baxter. Baxter hates Sir Pentious. Their rivalry consumes the Hazbin Hotel in a competition to create the most elaborate and powerful machine Hell has ever seen. As Pentious becomes consumed in matters that have nothing to do with relations between Heaven and Hell, Emily is given her first tour of Hell by Charlie and Vaggie.

Climbing the Summit
Lucifer has a big announcement and he’s called all of Hell’s powers that be to the Hazbin Hotel. That includes the Overlords, Seven Deadly Sins, Demon royalty, and every other mover and shaker in the misbegotten realm. Additionally, the Hotel crew reunite with I.M.P., who have arrived as Stolas Goetia and his daughter’s bodyguards. Just as well, because they’re going to need all the help they can get as Walter, Mammon, the Vee’s, and Helsa’s machinations all coalesce and attempt to take advantage of Lucifer’s summit bringing all of Hell’s greatest powers to one place. But that may end up secondary to Lilith’s shocking reappearance!
Introduces: Asmodeus, Fizzarolli, Bee-lzebub, Beelzebub the First, Cerberus, Satan, Leviathan, Belphegor, Fredrick von Eldritch, Octavia Goetia, Reintroducing Carmilla Carmine, Rosie, Zestial, and the other Overlords.

EDIT - I could use some feedback.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 13, 2024

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Has anyone else noticed that Adam demonstrates if not embodies all seven of the deadly sins. (I include sloth since he tends to have his underlings do things that he isn't interested in doing)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah I think that's the intent.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

jadebullet posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Adam demonstrates if not embodies all seven of the deadly sins. (I include sloth since he tends to have his underlings do things that he isn't interested in doing)

He manages to speedrun all 7 sins in the very first episode during the meeting with Charlie.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This has probably been posted, but I found this amusing when I stopped to actually read it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also I forget, have we ever seen a sinner in either show that still looks human or do they all look like monsters of some kind (Cherri might be the closest one I can think of but even she’s still a cyclops)?

There's the lady from the first HB:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently even in heaven you don’t necessarily have to look human (Angel’s sister Molly is also a spider for whatever reason and Pentious was still a snake when he ascended)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Apparently even in heaven you don’t necessarily have to look human (Angel’s sister Molly is also a spider for whatever reason and Pentious was still a snake when he ascended)

I imagine certain traits get translated over regardless of moral status. Like Molly is a genuinely good person but she's still member of Angel's family who are ALL spider demons. She just comes across as a sweet adorable one since she's an angel instead

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

This has probably been posted, but I found this amusing when I stopped to actually read it.

drat hellphones have scan lines wtf.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I imagine certain traits get translated over regardless of moral status. Like Molly is a genuinely good person but she's still member of Angel's family who are ALL spider demons. She just comes across as a sweet adorable one since she's an angel instead

Speaking of, I hope we formally get to meet her and/or the rest of Angel’s family someday. Seems like there might be some interesting story potential there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gothmog1065 posted:

My favorite thing in that episode is, since Michael Cusack is there voicing Mammon, it stands to reason surely Zach Hadel will be there too right? And sure enough he's in like every crowd scene doing just yell babbling and it's like not even subtle. Its just so clearly him

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

jadebullet posted:

I always figured the rings of hell are in order of the sin as they first came into being. Pride being the first so it's at the top.

Gothmog1065 posted:

The show is full of stuff like this. If you pause and look at the signs in the background or on various phones there's always stuff to discover. Most of it is only on screen for a split second in various scenes so it's very easy to miss. A lot of time you got to zoom in.

Madurai posted:

There's the lady from the first HB:

She was justified.
And that's before we found out the family was full of cannibals.
Huh, they probably went to cannibal town.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

My favorite thing in that episode is, since Michael Cusack is there voicing Mammon, it stands to reason surely Zach Hadel will be there too right? And sure enough he's in like every crowd scene doing just yell babbling and it's like not even subtle. Its just so clearly him

yeah. i like that for the most part, most animators/creators are super supportive of each other even if the fanbases can be stupid as hell at times. I know viv apperently LOVES smiling friends, but smiling friends is fantastic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, I should figure out something to do with Miss Miriam in the HH fic. I imagine Charlie would appreciate having an actual teacher for her curriculum…even with the whole murder-suicide thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something I appreciate quite a lot about HB's musical sensibility is that it's very "classical Broadway" in style, like it's kind of a throwback to the pre-LMM, pre-Come From Away, even pre-Les Mis formula of very carefully structured musical and lyrical patterns that don't go flailing all over the place with weird arrhythmic patter or barely-rhyming words that put the emPHAsis on the wrong syLAHble for no particularly good metrical reason. After seeing so many songs coming out of well-regarded musical-bearing shows like that stop-motion Pinocchio movie, or the "Taking Over Midnight" song in Gravity Falls (it happens in like every single line, wtf, they're definitely doing it on purpose), it's rather refreshing to see something that rather improbably seems to want to reject all that avant-garde nonsense and give us some real old-school showstopping numbers with genuine earworm music and well-turned Disneyesque lyrical structures the way the South Park movie did.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Having just gotten through The Circus, unless there are some big surprises and recharacterizations still to come, god loving drat, that poor bastard. Most empathizable character I've seen in a drat long time. Maybe not since, uh, Satan ^^

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ngl I do wanna see Miss Miriam Redeemed

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Annointed posted:

Ngl I do wanna see Miss Miriam Redeemed

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not gonna lie to you guys, an important part of my fic is Charlie trying to grapple between whether it’d be better to redeem everyone in Hell or focus on making Hell itself a better place. I realize that’s a big shift for the series, but it seems like a logical route to go after Exterminations can be warded off.

(What do you think of my summaries btw)