Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jack B Nimble posted:

I rolled "playfully" last night and it's notable that I not only didn't do much worse than normal, I may have done better. 10/10 would stop responding to white belt ferocity again.

I thought this was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twE-zdUkB_U

I've been trying to roll like this most of the time for at least the last 6 months. Not only does it mean you can roll more, develop new skills and avoid injury - people are lot happier to roll with you again as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

I thought this was good

I've been trying to roll like this most of the time for at least the last 6 months. Not only does it mean you can roll more, develop new skills and avoid injury - people are lot happier to roll with you again as well.

Yeah, exactly, I actually watched that when it came out and while it wasn't anything I didn't already "know", it put it back into the forefront of my mind during the Monday class and yup, it works.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

I dislike this jesse dude, he always posts such click baity poo poo. This is the weirdo that entered a low turn out, low stakes, local jits comp and humble bragged about how he won a white belt division without training bjj iirc. This video is similar, I've never seen a gym where the actual fighters go in and just beat up on each other, the actual fighters can't afford to take a random rear end injury from banging hard.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

starkebn posted:

I thought this was good

I had to train like this after coming back from surgery and it was such a massive improvement in how I progressed and enjoyed things that I've started doing it even when someone tries to go max effort against me. It does mean I've been beaten by more low quality passes and sweeps done with excess enthusiasm but I just try and treat it as a learning opportunity for where to put a hook or post for next time

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Defenestrategy posted:

I dislike this jesse dude, he always posts such click baity poo poo. This is the weirdo that entered a low turn out, low stakes, local jits comp and humble bragged about how he won a white belt division without training bjj iirc. This video is similar, I've never seen a gym where the actual fighters go in and just beat up on each other, the actual fighters can't afford to take a random rear end injury from banging hard.

tbf, the first part of that vid was him getting owned in BJJ by a color belt who engaged more aggressively. So it was entirely clickbait, but still sorta honest lmao

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

tbf, the first part of that vid was him getting owned in BJJ by a color belt who engaged more aggressively. So it was entirely clickbait, but still sorta honest lmao

It'd be like me posting a highlight reel of me as a white belt in judo smoking mid ranked players in competition and going lol judo sucks. Without the context of, yo ive been grappling for ten years and these guys are more hobbiest players than competitors its pretty dishonest.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Defenestrategy posted:

I've never seen a gym where the actual fighters go in and just beat up on each other, the actual fighters can't afford to take a random rear end injury from banging hard.

The low-mid tier pro (a couple Bellator wins) from my gym absolutely went hard in sparring. Got KOed a couple times in sparring, I think once in training camp. Definitely a few stitches. I outweighed him by 40lbs but did not like doing rounds with him cuz he never let up intensity wise.

I think it's absolutely the case that the aura of machismo around combat sports hinders modern sports science development in martial arts. Likely more so with striking rulesets than grappling only.
Compared to other sports where fundamentals drilling, scouting, film study are routine at the elite level, fight sports seem to tolerate or even foster a culture of seeing who improves and mildly adjusting their style.

There's always been a minority of people who spar at less intensity with good payoff, but I don't see it as the norm. And yeah, it should be.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The "BJJ video doesn't work" video I think he's just being subtle. Like was mentioned, he shows it clearly working at the start, but then it doesn't work (for white belts) at a tournament when he refuses to agree to the ground game. I think he was trying to make a point, he just didn't provide the point in a voice over at the end of the video. I think most of his videos are like that; if you only listen to what he literally says they're obnoxious but there's more to them than the explicit narrative.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

The "BJJ video doesn't work" video I think he's just being subtle. Like was mentioned, he shows it clearly working at the start, but then it doesn't work (for white belts) at a tournament when he refuses to agree to the ground game. I think he was trying to make a point, he just didn't provide the point in a voice over at the end of the video. I think most of his videos are like that; if you only listen to what he literally says they're obnoxious but there's more to them than the explicit narrative.

I'd agree with that. There is a legitimate argument to be made that is related to what he said in the video. Not sure if he actually made that argument though!

I found the humor and tone to be a bit obnoxious, but that's probably a YouTuber thing in general.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, I have a question:

When, if ever, should you post your hands for a fall? We're taught not to do it in Judo, but I see wrestlers and mma fighters do it from a kind of pick and put down that comes off a body lock. If I had to guess, the difference is that the wrestler is already leaning over with their hands on the mat, so the hands really only rise up off the mat a couple feet before coming down, which seems different than if I get massively thrown and post my arm out on the way down.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You got it. Although it's also the difference in stakes. An important match or an MMA fight, maybe you risk the shoulder injury to avoid a takedown. You'll see judoka do it sometimes too.

Those are people and situations all the way on the other end of the spectrum from the average person who will probably come out ahead accepting the takedown and protecting their body.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Yeah and even in more serious competitions, you don't usually see heavyweights cartwheeling out of tomoe nages or whatever. Only good reason to post for hobbyists is cushioning a front fall, and that's not really posting since you're flaring your elbows and using them as shocks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It's not too complicated. Full body weight falling at speed on to a locked out arm is what is most likely to injure you. Anything less intense than that is less risky,. Bent elbows and the shoulder at an angle that isn't jamming the bone straight into the socket can be fine.

Last night we were drilling Kata Garuma and I was posting a little every time to direct my fall.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Was sick for a while but Im back on the mats. Did a seminar with Edwin "Junny" Ocasio over the last weekend. Hes that dude that won like 3 world titles this year (bonkers). Anyway he taught some really cool toehold and knee bar concepts. Kind of flipped out when he saw a woman was taking pictures and thought she was recording. Some of these guys are really rpotective of their techniques. I will say for $60 for a two hour seminar it was definitely worth putting the phone away and paying attention.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Was sick for a while but Im back on the mats. Did a seminar with Edwin "Junny" Ocasio over the last weekend. Hes that dude that won like 3 world titles this year (bonkers). Anyway he taught some really cool toehold and knee bar concepts. Kind of flipped out when he saw a woman was taking pictures and thought she was recording. Some of these guys are really rpotective of their techniques. I will say for $60 for a two hour seminar it was definitely worth putting the phone away and paying attention.

On one hand, I get it. You don't want people recording your techniques, uploading it, and not paying you 60$ for your seminar.

Otoh, I get it. You're paying 60$ for the seminar and you should be able to record it for your personal use, because you're sure as hell not gonna remember what the dude said in a week.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, I have a question:

When, if ever, should you post your hands for a fall? We're taught not to do it in Judo, but I see wrestlers and mma fighters do it from a kind of pick and put down that comes off a body lock. If I had to guess, the difference is that the wrestler is already leaning over with their hands on the mat, so the hands really only rise up off the mat a couple feet before coming down, which seems different than if I get massively thrown and post my arm out on the way down.

Yeah, it's fine for mat returns and wrestle-up types of scrambles when you're already close to the ground and/or getting thrown onto your stomach, which judo doesn't really do.

Defenestrategy posted:

On one hand, I get it. You don't want people recording your techniques, uploading it, and not paying you 60$ for your seminar.

Otoh, I get it. You're paying 60$ for the seminar and you should be able to record it for your personal use, because you're sure as hell not gonna remember what the dude said in a week.

At almost every seminar I've been to, the instructor has told everyone at the beginning that it's fine to record yourself drilling the techniques but not them doing the instruction, which seems like a reasonable compromise.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Nestharken posted:

Yeah, it's fine for mat returns and wrestle-up types of scrambles when you're already close to the ground and/or getting thrown onto your stomach, which judo doesn't really do.

At almost every seminar I've been to, the instructor has told everyone at the beginning that it's fine to record yourself drilling the techniques but not them doing the instruction, which seems like a reasonable compromise.

Lachlan has a section at the end where he goes through everything again once specifically for people to record. He just says he's already got so much instruction online he's trying to sell, please don't post those recordings.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Personally, I think not allowing people to record is ridiculous for a few reasons:

- You're a an experienced athlete, nothing you're showing is new and unique in any way other than your take on a move. That guy who created the buggy choke? Maybe he made something new, but how would you really know?? Maybe some monk in Japan is already a master at it.
- Most people dont share these concepts you're teaching because no one in the US really hides techniques anymore. Everything is much more shared here.
- What difference does it make if its shared among casuals? How is that really going to hurt you? In fact it will do the opposite, it will help the community grow as a whole.
- Everyone has their preferred way of doing moves. Thats all your sharing really. And from what I saw, it was just that. Mikey Musemeci does a slight variation of the knee bar that I saw during that seminar but to an aoki lock, but the entry was the same. You literally dont want people to record about what color sprinkles are on the cupcake. The cupcake is the important concept everyone should know how to bake. Thats the part thats often missed during these seminars, especially among lower belts.
- Which takes me to my next point: its mostly upper belts that are going to be gaining anything from these moves. Lower belts (white/blue) should be focusing on fundamentals IMO

edit: There is value in drilling moves but if you cant drill the move over the next few sessions then being able to record it and drill it later makes sense to me.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 15, 2024

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The point isnt the technique is secret, the point is that less people will pay to come see the dude teach if people can watch it on youtube for free.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Counter point: How annoying would it be to try and teach a seminar to a bunch of people just pointing their phones at you and not actually paying attention. Just treat the experience with some respect and take down some notes after.

Imagine trying to teach regular classes and some dipshit was standing there pointing a phone in your face and tell me you wouldn't want to slap it out of their hand. I imagine seminars would be much worse.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My professor, who does not go around making a living teaching seminars and just runs a regular old local gym, still had the rule of "you can record yourself drilling or rolling, but please don't record her lessons, because that's something she's worked hard on and it's how she makes a living". Really seems like a simple and effective compromise.

Honestly, from what little I've done of teaching myself I'd strongly agree that articulating the whys and hows of a move are much, much harder than just doing it on command. Any white belt with some stripes can bust out their favorite sweep and it'll be fine-ish, but ask them to teach it, and to explain why you're doing these steps and what the principles are, and it's probably going to be a different story.

And everyone teaches a move differently; sometimes I find I don't really learn a move untill someone else explains it a second or third time. It's not because the first person was illegitimate, it's something about how specific queues or descriptions correct your particular mistake or make you finally understand what you didn't realize you were misunderstanding. So, even if lots of videos are available, your particular video still has value.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

The point isnt the technique is secret, the point is that less people will pay to come see the dude teach if people can watch it on youtube for free.

Im not sure I agree with this logic since you dont know exactly what someone is going to teach when you go to a seminar. When I went to Eli Knights, he showed a bunch of techniques I had seen before except 1, which I ended up recording because I wanted to drill it later. Im not sure what someone would have against that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Acinonyx posted:

Counter point: How annoying would it be to try and teach a seminar to a bunch of people just pointing their phones at you and not actually paying attention. Just treat the experience with some respect and take down some notes after.

Imagine trying to teach regular classes and some dipshit was standing there pointing a phone in your face and tell me you wouldn't want to slap it out of their hand. I imagine seminars would be much worse.

I think this is the best reason. If the instructor doesn't want to be filmed then don't film.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
younger judoka: it just feels like you're pushing me down and lazily twisting me onto the ground so you can do turnovers

me: YES.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

I think the goon overreaction thing is kicking in, I doubt anyone is just sitting there inches away from you filming, they're probably more likely posted up against a wall. Personally I wouldn't care if someone films my classes, because I'm a nerd with an actual day job who doesn't need to pay their bills on the back of seminar and video sales. I'd be annoyed if I wound up on youtube, but that's more because I prefer to not have people see my ugly face beyond my dating profile, but I wouldn't be mad. To repeat, I don't really have a dog in the fight because I think seminars are pretty useless outside of rare exceptions with old timey grapplers where you get to listen to cool stories of the old days of doing coke at UFC 2 or the time a dude tried to dojo storm a club in the mid 90's and get wrecked anyway. Namaste.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I totally understand not wanting seminars filmed. It's not that techniques are "secret" anymore but the highest level coaches charge a premium for their particular spin on the technique or teaching style. You can learn a side control escape from anyone, or you can spend $200 to learn it from John Danaher on DVD.

Whether the special details shown by the person are worth the money is a judgment call based on your budget and level of competitiveness. Maybe you really do "go further faster" or maybe you just have a wallet that's $200 lighter. In any event, there is a market for that 'premium' instruction so it makes perfect sense that some guys would like to preserve that market.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

seminars are pretty useless outside of rare exceptions with old timey grapplers where you get to listen to cool stories of the old days of doing coke at UFC 2 or the time a dude tried to dojo storm a club in the mid 90's and get wrecked anyway. Namaste.

I would go to a Chris Hauter seminar for exactly this reason.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Knee not tweaked, no more weird boils that google says are staph... Time to get white belt wasted on Saturday 🥴

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Knee not tweaked, no more weird boils that google says are staph... Time to get white belt wasted on Saturday 🥴

Yo homie you do you, but if I had weird skin boils or lesions I'd have gone to urgent care.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Defenestrategy posted:

Yo homie you do you, but if I had weird skin boils or lesions I'd have gone to urgent care.

I did once and they just told me "Yeah youre gonna be prone to them. You can get antibiotics if you want but theyll just go away on their own"

I just didnt know if they were like, irresponsible to roll with before I googled this time cause I picked up jiu jitsu in the last year

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

I did once and they just told me "Yeah youre gonna be prone to them. You can get antibiotics if you want but theyll just go away on their own"

I just didnt know if they were like, irresponsible to roll with before I googled this time cause I picked up jiu jitsu in the last year

They wont just go away on their own especially if its staph or even worse MRSA, both of which can turn into life threatening poo poo.

Ringworm? Lamisil, but anything else, stay off the mat and get it checked by a medical person.

edit: Most important thing: Shower before and after class and get that GI/Nogi poo poo in the wash ASAP after class.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Marginally related: I thought I was having trouble with some kind of recurring bacterial infection from the mats recently until I switched deodorants from the one I'd been using for several years. Turns out you can develop allergies to them over time and get crazy rashes.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

In years of this poo poo I've had ringworm like twice and never anything worse than that. I shower immediately after class and wash my poo poo before I wear it again.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Hmm maybe it's just some weird follicle thing then... too much stuff on the skin 😔

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Lachlan Giles is cool with filming, but not reuploading and not during certain portions of the instructions. So is Robert Diggle/Degle. I think it's more than OK to record during a seminar because I, the person paying, probably won't be able to remember everything perfectly or replicate it when I try to record it even 10 mins later.

It's just taking notes.

If they don't want anything filmed whatsoever, that's fine too as it's their seminar.

Green Toad fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 15, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

In years of this poo poo I've had ringworm like twice and never anything worse than that. I shower immediately after class and wash my poo poo before I wear it again.

MRSA and Staph are almost always related to poor care of the mats.My old school would sweep the mats after class but not always disinfect them. Im fairly certain I got staph once from that. I can provide gory details of the result for anyone interested....or not :barf:

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Competing tomorrow and got my bracket combined into adult. lol giving up 15 years to have some matches with 25 year olds. Gonna be interesting.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

stramit posted:

Competing tomorrow and got my bracket combined into adult. lol giving up 15 years to have some matches with 25 year olds. Gonna be interesting.

just remember to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I only stall against people who know how to defeat my sweeps. If I can sweep someone from bottom half then I do that.

Then I stall in side control top.