Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Liquid Communism posted:

Slavery is irreconcilable with the NAP, if you're being remotely intellectually honest. Slavery is at base using the threat of violence to force someone to obey and perform work for you.

The problem is that for actual Libertarians' concepts like "Slavery" and "Liberty" are really mushy.

For instance, they often think having to pay taxes is a form of slavery. So when they are centering their understanding of slavery on things like that, institutions like actual chattel slavery don't look like an issue for them.

Liberty works the same way- Liberty is often used as a rhetorical consolation prize. Sure you don't have Government Healthcare but you're free to seek out the best Healthcare you can afford. Having choices, to them, is better than only having one (superior) option. The logic very much reminds me of how you negotiate with a toddler, by giving them options to do different things so they don't get frustrated by being forced to do ONE thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's okay ONLY if you establish a safeword.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think "Everything is a form of slavery except for actual slavery" was one of the earlier thread titles

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Liquid Communism posted:

Slavery is irreconcilable with the NAP, if you're being remotely intellectually honest.

They're not. Libertarians generally view NAP as a one-way street, a way to decry what they perceive to be as aggression toward themselves/their property, and not reflecting anything they themselves do. Sure, they may talk big talk about voluntarist consideration of others, but in practice if what they want conflicts with the body or property of others, they manage to think up a justification for it that squares with NAP. It all boils down to what we've been formulating for years: American libertarianism is nothing more than a mask for naked selfishness.

Guavanaut posted:

I think "Everything is a form of slavery except for actual slavery" was one of the earlier thread titles

I believe you're right, and unsurprisingly it came from when Jrod cited a Cato Institute (I think) "study" that found the UAE to be a more free state than the US.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 5, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They're not. Libertarians generally view NAP as a one-way street, a way to decry what they perceive to be as aggression toward themselves/their property, and not reflecting anything they themselves do. Sure, they may talk big talk about voluntarist consideration of others, but in practice if what they want conflicts with the body or property of others, they manage to think up a justification for it that squares with NAP. It all boils down to what we've been formulating for years: American libertarianism is nothing more than a mask for naked selfishness.

I believe you're right, and unsurprisingly it came from when Jrod cited a Cato Institute (I think) "study" that found the UAE to be a more free state than the US.

Was this the one that deemed, like, New Zealand to be a libertarian utopia?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Sure was!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
If I am remembering the study you are referencing, then it was specifically "economic freedom" they were measuring. The UAE and Sweden both scored surprisingly high because of things like having low business taxes, no legally mandated minimum wage, and most labor policies were set by private actors (trade groups and employers) reaching private agreements.

The UAE's "technically slavery" situation didn't count against it because it wasn't an "overall" measure of freedom.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If I am remembering the study you are referencing, then it was specifically "economic freedom" they were measuring. The UAE and Sweden both scored surprisingly high because of things like haveing low business taxes, no legally mandated minimum wage, and most labor policies were set by private actors (trade groups and employers) reaching private agreements.

You recall correctly. Jrod's whole thing, well one of them anyway, was that all rights flow from economic freedom so he thought it was a slam dunk and, characteristically, hadn't bothered to actually read the entire article.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

At what point in your life did you decide you had to hand it to them, Leon

Where did it all go wrong

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

At what point in your life did you decide you had to hand it to them, Leon

Where did it all go wrong

Not handing it to JRod. I'm saying that his analysis of that study determined that the average person as more free in the UAE than the U.S. - despite the actual slavery - which is obviously bonkers because "freedom" means more than just economic freedom. Otherwise, you get crazy stats like the UAE and Saudi Arabia having freer people than France.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 5, 2024

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Here's the post if anyone wants to go back and read pages of people laughing at him again. I'm including my absolute favorite line in the post because hoo-ee, it's a doozy :allears:

polymathy posted:

Especially the two countries at the very top of this list, New Zealand and Switzerland, come fairly close to a libertarian ideal in terms of their economic policies. Both have relatively low public debt and are very decentralized societies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Going to guess his opinion of NZ changed during covid.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not handing it to JRod. I'm saying that his analysis of that study determined that the average person as more free in the UAE than the U.S. - despite the actual slavery - which is obviously bonkers because "freedom" means more than just economic freedom. Otherwise, you get crazy stats like the UAE and Saudi Arabia having freer people than France.

Thing is, even if you're just looking at "economic freedom," slaves don't have economic freedom at all.

Which, of course, isn't a disqualification for libertarians because the ideology is garbage and the assumption is that they would never be the ones being crushed by the boot.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Going to guess his opinion of NZ changed during covid.

I'm not going to say it was a pity he got perma'd years before the pandemic, but it would likely be entertaining given his penchant for quackery.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Brazilian libertarians are simping super hard for Bukele. Re-elected with hige margins, cleaned up the country, loves crypto!

That he basically empties the Judiciary and Congress and made himself a soft despot, jailing a substantial percentage of the wholecountry on no charges doesn't matter or was 'necessary'.

Of course, if a labour president or even minister here even investigates a conservative, it's a sign of the coming gulags and that we are already under a dictatorship. (They got 'Lula Ditador' to trend briefly on Twitter yesterday)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Is that the leader that conservatives are praising for making crime go down a bajillion percent by arresting all the criminals or something over simplistic?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Is that the leader that conservatives are praising for making crime go down a bajillion percent by arresting all the criminals or something over simplistic?

Bukele did basically replace all police and security policies in El Salvadore with Judge Dredd and Punisher comic, so probably.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Argentina's new libertarian president just had his only piece of legislation fail to pass.

Instead of trying to amend it or do something to get a version of it passed, he is going to resubmit the bill over and over and threaten to hold a non-binding referendum that doesn't do anything legally, but will show congress that the people are on his side and then... they will change their mind and pass his bill.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1755230484592779338

quote:

JPMorgan economist Diego Pereira said Tuesday that the lack of support in the National Congress for the bill suggests Milei's administration should reconsider its political strategy, "opening up a more challenging period which could lead to increased volatility."

"This is an unprecedented event, and there is no memory of an administration having its first piece of legislation rejected," Pereira said in a research note.

quote:

"Against this backdrop, the possibility of President Milei calling for a non-binding referendum gains probability. Worth noting, during the campaign Milei referred to the possibility of calling for a non-binding referendum in case of facing a logjam in Congress," Pereira said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/07/arg...=twitter%7Cmain

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The libertarian Card Game is here!
Crossposting from the MTG thread

quote:

Wonders of The First was born on the first block of Proof-of-Stake Ethereum, making it the only collection deployed in this historic block. All tokens, known as “Character Proofs,” were minted and staked instantly, awaiting their first owner.
https://wondersofthefirst.medium.co...0first%20owner.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

The libertarian Card Game is here!
Crossposting from the MTG thread

https://wondersofthefirst.medium.co...0first%20owner.

Guarantee you that a hyper optimal deck has already been plucked out to flip if they hit it big. Imagine if WOTC was incentivised to do a reglue job on their own products.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Of course you're subscribed to semafor.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://x.com/TheYcOrg/status/1757322958958117304?s=20

I did not expect to see Valhalla DRO in the wild today.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but I can't imagine a situation where these protection companies don't just divvy up turfs between themselves and live like feudal lords with their local monopoly on force. Which, you know, companies like ISPs already do, except with more violence.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Clarste posted:

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but I can't imagine a situation where these protection companies don't just divvy up turfs between themselves and live like feudal lords with their local monopoly on force. Which, you know, companies like ISPs already do, except with more violence.

Ah, but you see:

https://x.com/TheYcOrg/status/1757522900398014709?s=20

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ah, of course, so since war is financially untenable, everyone will immediately declare war on any rogue company for no particular reason. Naturally.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Caros posted:

Lol beat me to it, just saw this :allears:
https://twitter.com/TheYcOrg/status/1757347950051692944?t=xE9wStUbEFwCRU6y7YjFNw&s=19

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's a lot of steps to say: Support Your Local Warlord.

Literally, selling your rights at discount for protection.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even assuming this works like they imagine and everyone plays ball, it's like they've never interacted with an insurance company. "We're sorry, but your policy doesn't cover that."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This is going to emphasize just how much of a nerd I am, but I can't help thinking of the discussion in Scott Lynch's fantasy novel The Lies of Locke Lamora about how a wizard's guild got started:

quote:

'One night a powerful sorcerer knocks on the door of a less-powerful sorcerer. "I'm starting an exclusive guild," he says. "Join me now or I'll blast you out of your loving boots right where you stand." So naturally the second mage says...'

'"You know, I've always wanted to join a guild!"'

'Right. Those two go bother a third sorcerer. "Join the guild," they say, "or fight both of us, two on one, right here and right now." Repeat as necessary, until three or four hundred guild members are knocking on the door of the last independent mage around, and everyone who said no is dead.'

This guy's system won't just end up with warlords, it'll end up with a cartel of them.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Subway™: Stay Fresh or Freeze©, dirtbag!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

At this point I can't tell whether that account is just taking the piss or is run by a 15-year-old

https://twitter.com/TheYcOrg/status/1757340926408634737

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 14, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Caros posted:

I am sorry but is this a parody. It reads like a news story in cyberpunk 2077 or that old lore fluff in the cyberpunk pen and paper about how two private EMS companies get in a street battle because one of the companies is poaching clients after a gang fight.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Been seeing bickering between libertarians that are consistently insisting "no government gets to dictate where I can go" regarding immigration policies and the libertarians that want to treat sovereign borders as though they are private property and think property owners should just be mowing down migrants every chance they get.

Though even the latter runs into the Donut Bear problem - whose to say some sympathetic owners let migrants pass through peacefully since technically no one can tell that owner what to do with their land? And how unlimited are the resources of other property owners in preventing migrants from trespassing?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

At this point I can't tell whether that account is just taking the piss or is run by a 15-year-old

https://twitter.com/TheYcOrg/status/1757340926408634737

I was about to post this, but you beat me. Just the perfect cherry on top of it.

"Yeah, I know this doesn't resist the gentlest analysis, so, um, I'm not acepting notes from anyone not 200% into the cult!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
You can smell the libertarians through the screen lol
https://twitter.com/aufhebenenjoyer/status/1757465467315269819?t=ETbGjJEn_3QTLz0NdGZdzg&s=19

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Been seeing bickering between libertarians that are consistently insisting "no government gets to dictate where I can go" regarding immigration policies and the libertarians that want to treat sovereign borders as though they are private property and think property owners should just be mowing down migrants every chance they get.

Though even the latter runs into the Donut Bear problem - whose to say some sympathetic owners let migrants pass through peacefully since technically no one can tell that owner what to do with their land? And how unlimited are the resources of other property owners in preventing migrants from trespassing?

Depends on which brand of racism they subscribe to, I suppose.

Clarste posted:

Ah, of course, so since war is financially untenable, everyone will immediately declare war on any rogue company for no particular reason. Naturally.

This reminds me that libertarians and the whole the government has the monopoly on violence then?! and, while I get why that is a scary prospect, I am not sure allowing a bunch of mafia's having the ability to use violence to control me is much better.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Staluigi posted:

Subway™: Stay Fresh or Freeze©, dirtbag!

Reminds me of (I think) a bit in the New Yorker called "Libertarian Police Force" where the main character goes "Home Depot presents: The Police!"

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Pretty sure it's from the same thing (i could be wrong though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Angry_Ed posted:

Reminds me of (I think) a bit in the New Yorker called "Libertarian Police Force" where the main character goes "Home Depot presents: The Police!"

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/l-p-d-libertarian-police-department

A classic, especially because libertarians bite unironically at some bits of it.