Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Bosch posted:

worth pointing out that you don't even get your initial uniform issue for free. it all comes out of your paycheck, and if you need a replacement uniform item(a new cover, blouse, boots, whatever) that's also on you.

Hatebag posted:

lmao what the gently caress. it's like peeling an onion made of scams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Well well well, look who's back to take the King's shilling.

Those are good wages for a junior sergeant if they're in USD. If they're in Canadian dollars, eh, those are very nearly identical wages to a junior sergeant in the US military, a little bit lower, except that it takes about 1.5-2x longer to make Sergeant in Canada than in the US. So comparing a Canadian corporal to an E-5 probably makes more sense, since it takes as long to make corporal in Canada as it does to make Sergeant in the US. (Those are in CAD, not USD)

Admiral Bosch posted:

it all comes out of your paycheck, and if you need a replacement uniform item(a new cover, blouse, boots, whatever) that's also on you.

When you can, DX it's pretty good. Exchange old poo poo for new. Not available for officers. And if they won't do that, has to come out of the enlisted only clothing allowance, which is only about $400/year, so that replaces about two full uniforms, undergarments, and one pair of boots.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Feb 13, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Actually, beggaring your own troops in the name of means tested rentierism is Correct

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

It takes about 1.5-2x longer to make Sergeant in Canada than in the US. So comparing a Canadian corporal to an E-5 probably makes more sense, since it takes as long to make corporal in Canada as it does to make Sergeant in the US.

These are more arguments for HM's government imo.

Your pay in CAD buys goods priced in CAD, without the nickel and dime deductions like paying for meals, so...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

They call it "clothing allowance", weird name for booze money

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m glad the military represents the pure ideology of the nation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Really makes me appreciate all those neocons who predicted the US would handily win a second Korean War because the North Koreans would stop and cry upon reaching their first South Korean department store or whatever.

GI's throwing down their weapons and defecting when they reach a breadline or soup kitchen.

e: :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SWIMfb6lmg

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Feb 13, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

The U.S. Army had a message for 1st Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook: Before he could leave the Army, he had to pay for body armor vest he lost. Medics destroyed the vest because it was soaked with Rebrook's blood when he was wounded. The Army demanded $632 to replace it. Rebrook's friends helped raise the money. After a senator asked questions, the Army promises a refund.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKkHmFOfKE

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, pay isn’t great for US enlisted troops. An unmarried 22-23 year old Sergeant would only make about $62k/year or so depending on zip code in a pretty cheap part of the US, like military bases in the southeast or whatever.
imagine taking a bullet for that

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
likec yeah lemme run around 15 miles a week then go to Afghanistan yemen to get laced by an ak for a years rent once im back

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Being charged a fee for a ruined vest that you were wearing while getting shot is about as insulting as I can imagine. The next step is what, a co-pay when the medic treats you while you're writhing in the dirt?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
lmfao that rules so hard

i dont think american soldiers are evil inhuman fascist psychos uniformly like IDF ones but god drat it is funny that people still join up for that poo poo

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Flournival Dixon posted:

lmfao that rules so hard

i dont think american soldiers are evil inhuman fascist psychos uniformly like IDF ones but god drat it is funny that people still join up for that poo poo

You do it because either you think it will make your life better or you Believe in America. Every time elites tell the people a new thing isn’t part of the social contract anymore, got to imagine the available pool of the latter goes down.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

palindrome posted:

Being charged a fee for a ruined vest that you were wearing while getting shot is about as insulting as I can imagine. The next step is what, a co-pay when the medic treats you while you're writhing in the dirt?

Charged for evacuation to Rammstein

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pretty crazy that they can't make recruitment numbers ngl. hard to see why.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

uber_stoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeS6p-z18Zs&t=2s

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

Working dog productions has a clip for you on that, another Utopia one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-D3jaC_zfc

Military brass: "We lost a couple pilots last week?"

Government consultant: "Crash?"

Military brass "Jetstar" (context: domestic airline)

Military brass "Why would a mechanic take 45k to work on a Truck in Afghanistan when he can take 100k to work in [a domestic commercial mine]."

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Feb 14, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

These are more arguments for HM's government imo.

Your pay in CAD buys goods priced in CAD, without the nickel and dime deductions like paying for meals, so...

Ah, in that case, recruiting in Canada must be going very well relative to the other countries having recruiting challenges, especially with pride in the monarchy to boost recruiting.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Best Friends posted:

You do it because either you think it will make your life better or you Believe in America. Every time elites tell the people a new thing isn’t part of the social contract anymore, got to imagine the available pool of the latter goes down.

and the former

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Admiral Bosch posted:

worth pointing out that you don't even get your initial uniform issue for free. it all comes out of your paycheck, and if you need a replacement uniform item(a new cover, blouse, boots, whatever) that's also on you.

This isnt true between. I think there were only two things that I had to buy when I went through basic, one of which wasn't even mandated but highly encouraged at the time (and I think they are providing them as basic kit now). My running shoes and the camelback. I think the camelback is now part of the basic kit, since I was issued one a few years later.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, for running shoes, new recruits are typically taken to on-base store and told to buy shoes using their initial entry clothing allowance (a special new entry allowance). This can be exempted on a case by case basis if they showed up with good running shoes, but it's not unheard of for instructors to just blanket tell everyone to buy new shoes that fit them to avoid having this discussion hundreds of times with people trying not to buy running shoes. Recruits show up in everything from sandals to skateboard shoes, etc, and will try to break their feet running in such things if not forced to wear a proper shoe. I think the air force might have done some program to issue shoes in general, but I dunno how that worked out? Running shoes are tricky to make a mass fitting thing.

Camelbaks (or similar brand whatever) are issued for free.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

it's funny that "what they're going to charge them for their kit next?" is closer and closer to the literal truth

https://www.newsweek.com/soldier-blasts-biden-after-getting-charged-gear-he-left-afghanistan-1845627

He continued: "They want to charge me $500 to $1,000 for gear I was ordered to leave in Afghanistan two years ago because as the last two birds were sitting on the tarmac ready to leave, there wasn't any room for extra gear, extra weight. Therefore, we were told to leave it. Some lower-level dudes including myself were like, 'No, this stuff is expensive. I'm not leaving this. I'm gonna get charged for this when it's time to leave.'"

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5198332

The U.S. Army had a message for 1st Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook: Before he could leave the Army, he had to pay for body armor vest he lost. Medics destroyed the vest because it was soaked with Rebrook's blood when he was wounded. The Army demanded $632 to replace it. Rebrook's friends helped raise the money. After a senator asked questions, the Army promises a refund.

lol the US is going to undo the Marian Reforms at this rate

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, for running shoes, new recruits are typically taken to on-base store and told to buy shoes using their initial entry clothing allowance (a special new entry allowance). This can be exempted on a case by case basis if they showed up with good running shoes, but it's not unheard of for instructors to just blanket tell everyone to buy new shoes that fit them to avoid having this discussion hundreds of times with people trying not to buy running shoes. Recruits show up in everything from sandals to skateboard shoes, etc, and will try to break their feet running in such things if not forced to wear a proper shoe. I think the air force might have done some program to issue shoes in general, but I dunno how that worked out? Running shoes are tricky to make a mass fitting thing.

what compels you to defend this insane garbage?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

lol the US is going to undo the Marian Reforms at this rate

Either that or bring back private armies.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

do you just want to be called a stupid chump? i guess the army fulfills that need to some extent

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hatebag posted:

At best a pay check

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

KomradeX posted:

At best a pay check

it would be an absolutely insane allocation of resources to have a dedicated something awful guy, but given the rest of this thread, not unrealistic.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

there are a million reasons to mock military service. I’m just explaining how some of it works when people trot out myths or falsehoods that don’t make any sense.

And oddly, a lot of the pay talking points are based on buying the rah rah military lobbyist groups’ lines who hide pay and benefits behind the curtain in order to misrepresent their pay relative to other working class jobs or to try to dunk on labor in general.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hatebag posted:

He aint wrong. The drill sgts will spend like 2 hours at the PX with their platoon taking a look at soldiers feet and having them try shoes to make sure they pick the best ones for them because the two most common reasons to get recycled are hosed up feet or broken hips.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thank you

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mlmp08 posted:

It's not an allowance, it is an advance from a future paycheck

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He aint wrong. The drill sgts will spend like 2 hours at the PX with their platoon taking a look at soldiers feet and having them try shoes to make sure they pick the best ones for them because the two most common reasons to get recycled are hosed up feet or broken hips.

How do u become a drill sgt

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

unwantedplatypus posted:

How do u become a drill sgt

There’s a 3 month intensive training program in insult comedy.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This isnt true between. I think there were only two things that I had to buy when I went through basic, one of which wasn't even mandated but highly encouraged at the time (and I think they are providing them as basic kit now). My running shoes and the camelback. I think the camelback is now part of the basic kit, since I was issued one a few years later.

It's been 15 years since I enlisted so I may be misremembering some details but I distinctly remember seeing the itemized pay reduction for dress blues, service alphas, etc.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
listen up, maggots!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

It's not an allowance, it is an advance from a future paycheck

This is not true, either, but I would like to know where you read or heard that?
https://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/ALLOWANCES/clothing.aspx
https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07a/07a_29.pdf

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

let me ask you, is this considered taxable?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Admiral Bosch posted:

It's been 15 years since I enlisted so I may be misremembering some details but I distinctly remember seeing the itemized pay reduction for dress blues, service alphas, etc.

Initial entry grants a clothing allowance. Clothing costs (not tactical equipment like rucksacks or sleeping bags) can be deducted from the clothing allowance (so the government won't give you a free shirt and ALSO hand you money to buy a shirt). So from your total initial clothing allowance, some portion of it, or maybe nearly all of it is consumed by being issued in-kind clothing. This does not pull from base pay; it only deducts from the clothing allowance. Any balance remaining not issued to the service member is paid to the initial entry member as a cash payment. That's for initial entry. After that, the clothing allowance is just an annual cash payment, and it is up to the service member to use it responsibly, aside from maybe special gear like extra allowances for flight crew gear or firefighter gear or the like. Sometimes that comes from being given extra cash to buy your own stuff, other times it's just a recurring issue of wear-out items required for special jobs.

Al! posted:

let me ask you, is this considered taxable?

Nope, and it also doesn't count toward OASDI credit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Christ I hope you're getting paid for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

First hand experience. My haircut wasn't free and neither were my Nike pegasus running shoes but since it was like day 2 we were provided with an advance out of our paycheck.