Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

fwiw, it's actually 16/+3 Charisma since Swashbuckler's key ability is Dex, not Cha. You still get +10 to One For All's Diplomacy Aid at level 1 tho.

+1 from level
+2 from Diplomacy (Trained)
+3 from Charisma
+4 circumstance bonus from the Cooperative Nature human ancestry feat

That gives you an 80% chance just to succeed at DC15 Aid, a 30% chance to crit for a +2 bonus to your friend, and at level 1, a 55% chance to get Panache from soing so.

This is so much better than the Swashbuckler in my party. Jeez he was hurting, made the class look terrible. Fighter more closely aligned with what he wanted in the end anyway but man, it was painful seeing him fail his skill checks and end up doing a basic strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is so much better than the Swashbuckler in my party. Jeez he was hurting, made the class look terrible. Fighter more closely aligned with what he wanted in the end anyway but man, it was painful seeing him fail his skill checks and end up doing a basic strike.

Yeah, like - at level 3 with this build, if you've invested your skill increase in Expert Diplomacy you have a +14 to Aid; you're mathematically immune to critically failing the OFA Aid check to buff your ally, you have a 95% chance of successfully buffing, a 50% chance of critical success for a better buff, and a 60% chance of getting panache for it (23 or better, so a nat 9 or better).

Glasses of Sociability add a +1 item bonus to all this if you can get ahold of them, and Silvertongue Mutagen's drawbacks don't hamper a Swashbuckler much!

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 14, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, that's mostly because Cooperative Nature and One For All are absolutely insane when combined (or individually honestly). Most swashbuckler aren't gonna do stuff like that unless they have that combo.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hellioning posted:

To be fair, that's mostly because Cooperative Nature and One For All are absolutely insane when combined (or individually honestly). Most swashbuckler aren't gonna do stuff like that unless they have that combo.

one for all on a cooperative nature human is the only thing that's ever gotten me to take swashbuckler archetype

if you don't have a good reaction it's legitimately worth thinking about, alongside champion

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Quicken Spell was in the PHB of 3.0 and while you can only cast one quickened spell a turn you can explictly cast a quickened spell and another spell the same turn, that's the main reason to use Quicken Spell. It's not rare at all. 5e also allows you to cast more than one spell per turn, in fact! You can explicitly cast a spell with your action if you cast spell with your bonus action, it just has to be a cantrip. And if you use Action Surge or another way to get a second action, you can cast levelled spells with both actions so long as you didn't cast a spell with your bonus action.

Welp, definitely misremembered all that :shrug:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dick Burglar posted:

I mean, how many 1-action spells does PF2E even have? I know there are some focus spells that can get used relatively frequently (thanks to refocusing), and some stuff like true strike (or whatever its remaster name is), but I can't think of many.

Less than two-actions, but still quire a lot. This posted without me meaning it to so I'll edit some in in a minute.

Focusing on arcane and ignoring the ones that are specific to particular adventures, you have 26 1-action spells:

Jump
Power Word Kill
Power Word Stun
Shield
True Strike
True Target
Endure
Time Beacon
Pet Cache
Thoughtful Gift
Protect Companion
Time Jump
Timely Tutor
Winning Streak
Invoke True Name
Time Sense
Flashy Disappearance
Deep Breath
Glass Shield
Tremor Signs
Illuminate
Buoyant Bubbles
Rigid Form
Take Root

A lot of these are pretty simple utility spells (shield, message, jump, true strike, etc), but it is notable that both Power Word Blind and Power Word Kill are single actions.

Beyond this you also have variable action spells like Magic Missile, Kinetic Ram, and Scorching Ray, which can take from one to three actions depending on what you want them to do.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 14, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
heckin heal can be cast with one action, if you want

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

There are also focus spells. The sorcerer in my campaign scores a ton extra damage by following up his Fireballs with Elemental Toss.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sii4?The-Godsrain-Prophecies-Part-Two

Asmodeus is safe.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Burglar posted:

Welp, definitely misremembered all that :shrug:

You're far from the only one, a lot of people misremember 5e's bonus spell rule as "one levelled spell per turn"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well there goes my 2nd pick. Interesting game afoot.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
When is the Mythic book, with all the god death and two new classes actually coming out? Also did we ever get feedback on the playtests?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ryuujin posted:

When is the Mythic book, with all the god death and two new classes actually coming out? Also did we ever get feedback on the playtests?

Some time in October-November. Presumably we're going to get a more exact timeline when they stream about the entire death-of-a-god product rollout April 12th.

Also, the feedback article on the Exemplar and Animist playtest is over here.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Did they talk about if they were going to playtest the Mythic rules? Or is that going to be all internal?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Playtest feedback wrap-up is here.
Release schedule is here. With War of the Immortals being far enough out to not be on there. I think the most firm they've given is Winter 2024.

[Edit] And beaten 🤣

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Did they talk about if they were going to playtest the Mythic rules? Or is that going to be all internal?

If we were going to get one, I assume it would have been at around the same time as the class playtests. At this point, they could do the kind of playtest that's an ad campaign but nothing that could affect the pagecount given my understanding of book production.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Sorry, kind of out of the loop. What is the Mythic book? like epic level stuff? Even though I've never gotten close to playing the "I" part of BECMI, I love having that stuff available, for some reason.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Sorry, kind of out of the loop. What is the Mythic book? like epic level stuff? Even though I've never gotten close to playing the "I" part of BECMI, I love having that stuff available, for some reason.

In PF1 Mythic was almost like an alternative level track that progressed alongside your own, dependent on plot events to increase your Mythic level. The abilities it had were very powerful and could be a lot of fun.

PF2 will probably be similar, likely packaged as archetype-like progression.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
One thing to note is that PF1 Mythic was an alternate progression track that was kinda unbalanced and effectively took you up to level 25/30 (depending on which calculation you use) in terms of power.

PF2 Mythic is not intended to do that.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

pf1 mythic was fun because it was unbalanced and allowed for weird poo poo like the one shotting Cthulhu with an oil tanker from across the universe gag

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

For classes that aren't getting a remaster, can you still play them as is or is there going to be some manual recalibration required?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For classes that aren't getting a remaster, can you still play them as is or is there going to be some manual recalibration required?

The Psychic and Magus got errata to work with the new rules.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

In addition to the errata, they'll get a full rework in Player Core 2

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hunter Noventa posted:

In addition to the errata, they'll get a full rework in Player Core 2

The Psychic, Thaumaturge, Gunslinger, Inventor, Magus and Summoner are not being updated in PC2. They received errata with the release of PC1, and may receive further errata if required for compatibility with PC2.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Chevy Slyme posted:

The Psychic, Thaumaturge, Gunslinger, Inventor, Magus and Summoner are not being updated in PC2. They received errata with the release of PC1, and may receive further errata if required for compatibility with PC2.

You can find that errata over here, for the record. The main changes were just sprucing up the Psychic's cantrips to fit with the new cantrips and removing the random bits of alignment and spell schools in Magus and Summoner. You could (and probably should) manually adjust feats like Conflux Focus to refill all your Focus Points and remove feats like Conflux Wellspring, since the remaster lets you repeatedly Refocus between fights and they seem to have decided that reducing the amount of time you spend refocusing by a third is worth a single level 12-14 feat and nothing more, but you could also easily just... not take those feats in the first place, since it's a much less important effect now.

Also, the only class from those six that could use retouching beyond that is the Inventor, since their Unstable feats were tuned to be equivalent to the old focus spells and making it easier to use more focus spells just makes the Inventor feel even more janky, but I don't know any easy homebrew solutions for that.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 17, 2024

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

sugar free jazz posted:

pf1 mythic was fun because it was unbalanced and allowed for weird poo poo like the one shotting Cthulhu with an oil tanker from across the universe gag

i miss lightwarden, they always posted the wildest posts in murphy's rules.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have never heard a table pop off so hard at a rerolled save as that one, considering I was already Wounded 2 and staring down a crit fail against a breath weapon.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Lalafell thumbs up indeed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kitfox88 posted:

Lalafell thumbs up indeed.

It's a great way to get character token art for gnomes and sprites. :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gonna play my first 2e session today, we're all brand new to the system so let's hope it goes well!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
My cleric got wasted in Abomination Vaults last session fighting a bunch of Caligni. The fight itself shouldn't have been a problem but both our front-liners were running late and by the time they got into the game we were already in trouble with the Defenders getting all over the healer (me). Could have pulled it back but both the front-liners immediately ran the gently caress off after fleeing enemies, and that was all she wrote. NGL I was pretty pissed off about it especially considering we didn't have the cash on hand for a resurrection. GM took pity on me and allowed me to reincarnate as my original race but I'm going to be very strident about not engaging without the whole party and maintaining a formation going forward.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

thatbastardken posted:

My cleric got wasted in Abomination Vaults last session fighting a bunch of Caligni. The fight itself shouldn't have been a problem but both our front-liners were running late and by the time they got into the game we were already in trouble with the Defenders getting all over the healer (me). Could have pulled it back but both the front-liners immediately ran the gently caress off after fleeing enemies, and that was all she wrote. NGL I was pretty pissed off about it especially considering we didn't have the cash on hand for a resurrection. GM took pity on me and allowed me to reincarnate as my original race but I'm going to be very strident about not engaging without the whole party and maintaining a formation going forward.

Does it help to know that those guys were a neutral faction you could just talk to? They even have multiple quests!

I love how you can talk your way past what feels like at least a fifth of the fights in AV. For a dungeon crawl, it can be very social if you want.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 19, 2024

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does it help to know that those guys were a neutral faction you could just talk to? They even have multiple quests!

I love how you can talk your way past what feels like at least a fifth of the fights in AV. For a dungeon crawl, it can be very social if you want.

My group have been stellar at trying to talk to the unfriendly no matter what folks and trying to fight the ones that could have been allies.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

S.J. posted:

Gonna play my first 2e session today, we're all brand new to the system so let's hope it goes well!

Did it go well?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Ugh, we completely misread their allegiance. thought they were ride or die for Belcorra.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I can't imagine starting a combat without the full party there, especially if the missing folk are front line.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

thatbastardken posted:

Ugh, we completely misread their allegiance. thought they were ride or die for Belcorra.

This is fair because if you come in from gauntlight the book just says "they are fanatics and hate you and fight to the death" but if you come in from the other direction and talk to their leader first, the leader is open to negotiation. very arbitrary, but characteristic of how AV presents a lot of its "you CAN talk to these guys"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Mister Olympus posted:

This is fair because if you come in from gauntlight the book just says "they are fanatics and hate you and fight to the death" but if you come in from the other direction and talk to their leader first, the leader is open to negotiation. very arbitrary, but characteristic of how AV presents a lot of its "you CAN talk to these guys"

One of the doors into that area is barricaded against attack from some truly evil dudes, so it can make sense for them to immediately start fighting if you broke down that door to get in.

Edit: did you guys save the people hanging in the meat locker a few floors up? One of them should give you info on another faction you should befriend.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Started the second Stolen Fate book, we were doing really well on the first chapter but our luck suddenly changed near the final hour of the session, and we ended having spent 5 hero points and half our spell slots in a single fight, after two of the four enemies had already been downed. Now the entire party has drained values between 2 and 4, and my character is permanently blinded after crit-failing against Eclipse Burst (The GM agreed to restore my eyesight if I cast Regenerate on myself tho). But we still have to face chapter boss and we'll have, at most, an hour to rest and recuperate.

It's starting to become a pattern now where we starts sessions doing really well, with the monk critting away merrily. Only for things to suddenly take a drastic turn and both our martials becoming unable to hit any attack to save their lives, while all the enemies suddenly start rolling nat 20s on their saves, and we end up having to burn all of our resources just barely eking out a win. I've been told PF2E becomes less swingey at higher levels but I feel like the majority of our combats are either us absolutely crushing it or being absolutely crushed, sometimes shifting from one to the other in the same combat, just by the luck of the dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

KPC_Mammon posted:

One of the doors into that area is barricaded against attack from some truly evil dudes, so it can make sense for them to immediately start fighting if you broke down that door to get in.

Edit: did you guys save the people hanging in the meat locker a few floors up? One of them should give you info on another faction you should befriend.

That's the weirdest part, it's the non-barricaded door that leads out to the auto-fight.

But the barricaded door leads to an empty hallway, and the closest room is inhabited by the cult leader, who wants to talk:

Given the first door is next to an upstairs, it's more likely than not that the players are going to go through there rather than take the long way around.

In terms of the meat locker guy, one of my players was intending to run it before I volunteered, so they knew a bit about that particular plotline, and is actually playing that person, who got out on their own.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 20, 2024