Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I couldn’t wrap my head around Sunder’s overall flow - wrangling monsters into fighting each other at that scale feels too much like work, it’s a kind of precision in execution that I just don’t have at my disposal when I sit down to play Doom 90% of the time. That said, I will go on record saying that The Hag’s Finger is one of the finest maps I’ve ever played. If I took to the rest of the WAD like I did to that stage, I’d be singing a different tune. And Sunder’s loving gorgeous, and the music is great.

Cheers on finishing it. That took commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
inspired me to put my Sunder Pants back on, hear some Gnarled King whispers. Love feeling like a running back finding holes gaps except the field has 100 players on it, you can't run out of bounds, and linebackers can explode you with fire balls

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 10, 2024

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Brolander posted:

inspired me to put my Sunder Pants back on, hear some Gnarled King whispers. Love feeling like a running back finding holes gaps except the field has 100 players on it, you can't run out of bounds, and linebackers can explode you with fire balls

Yeah, but you have a rocket launcher!

which of course stings when you fire it too close to the horde closing in on you

Map 19 was insane. 20 was surprisingly easy compared to the later maps but I also save scum.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

Finally finished Sunder and....drat.

Have you been watching Coin play through Cosmogenesis? Believe it's the current leader on single map killcounts at just under 75k, but so far it seems like at least some thought went into the design of each encounter, they're rarely just giant rooms stuffed with sprites like some other megaslaughter maps I've seen. And I actually like the custom palette, the eye-searing pinks and greens remind me of old PC games from the 80s :woz:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Any recommendations for mods that just pretty up the game a bit without changing the gameplay? I've been using smooth doom for generally vanilla stuff but its gotten pretty long in the tooth and increasingly doesn't work with modern WADs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hitscanners keep me from comprehending slaughter maps. The constant red flashing from chip damage distracts me till I'm dead :(. Anyone who can focus on that much going on at once has thoroughly impressive multitasking skill imo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

khwarezm posted:

Any recommendations for mods that just pretty up the game a bit without changing the gameplay? I've been using smooth doom for generally vanilla stuff but its gotten pretty long in the tooth and increasingly doesn't work with modern WADs.

I've been using Beautiful Doom (https://www.moddb.com/mods/beautiful-doom-6100) for that, and it seems to work well with most WADs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

+1 Beautiful Doom is my go to for this kind of stuff. It also comes with slightly enhanced weapons, but it's an option to toggle them back to default if you want vanilla gameplay. Also make sure you're loading lights and brightmaps for nice glow effects and red monster eyes you can see in the dark.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I use Beautiful Doom from time to time, it is neat because you can toggle the changes to the enemies / items / weapons separately, so it's potentially more compatible with some wads than Smooth Doom.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Turin Turambar posted:

I use Beautiful Doom from time to time, it is neat because you can toggle the changes to the enemies / items / weapons separately, so it's potentially more compatible with some wads than Smooth Doom.

Oh nice. I was about to say smooth doom broke a couple wads for me in ways that were really hard to tell.

Takes No Damage posted:

Have you been watching Coin play through Cosmogenesis? Believe it's the current leader on single map killcounts at just under 75k, but so far it seems like at least some thought went into the design of each encounter, they're rarely just giant rooms stuffed with sprites like some other megaslaughter maps I've seen. And I actually like the custom palette, the eye-searing pinks and greens remind me of old PC games from the 80s :woz:

No, but I'll check it out. The mega slaughters are hit and miss for me. Profane Promiseland was fun but Okichokiwhatever I couldn't get into.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Just played map02 of "The Diseases and Casualties this year being 1632" (on UV of course) and I'm honestly still in shock of how incredibly unfrustrating and even courteous the map felt to play.

Which is particularly surprising considering it's called "Teeth" and is naturally a body-horror-themed map.

I'm not gonna call it easy but the difficulty felt very "just pay attention and you'll do fine" instead of trying to really sucker punch me in the balls at any point.

Hell, I was even able to find all the secrets no problem because they had actual hints to them instead of being hidden behind a random unmarked (or just slightly misaligned) wall texture or requiring you to shoot a switch on the other side of the map or whatever.

Like I've gotten so used to dickish combat encounters and ultra-obtuse secrets (or even just regular progression) being the norm for Doom that playing a map which is so very pointedly about none of that has left me with that feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop, like how Agent Smith described the first version of the Matrix being too pleasant so the inhabitants reflexively thought it was a dream and kept trying to "wake up" from it.

I don't want to make it sound like I disliked the experience, it's just genuinely shocking how much of a change of pace that was.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It sounds like you should be playing better WADs. Or at least WADs that you like, they aren't all punishing slaughter fests! There's a huge variety of design philosophies to enjoy.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Doctor Bishop posted:

Just played map02 of "The Diseases and Casualties this year being 1632" (on UV of course) and I'm honestly still in shock of how incredibly unfrustrating and even courteous the map felt to play.

Thanks for the kind words about my map! I play maps ranging from easy romps to slaughter-y but I always enjoy ones that had good setpieces and a middle-to-hard challenge, so I try to do that with my maps too. I'm also laughing that the Archvile ambush didn't enter in as a dickish encounter since that's the one I put in deliberately as a dick move. I hope you enjoy the rest of the mapset, a lot of good work went into the maps!

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Thanks for the kind words about my map! I play maps ranging from easy romps to slaughter-y but I always enjoy ones that had good setpieces and a middle-to-hard challenge, so I try to do that with my maps too. I'm also laughing that the Archvile ambush didn't enter in as a dickish encounter since that's the one I put in deliberately as a dick move. I hope you enjoy the rest of the mapset, a lot of good work went into the maps!

If you mean the big teleporter room, I cheesed that one with door fighting by backing out of the door to the area, more because of all the lost souls than because of the archies.

In Training posted:

It sounds like you should be playing better WADs. Or at least WADs that you like, they aren't all punishing slaughter fests! There's a huge variety of design philosophies to enjoy.

I already make a point to avoid stuff that's labeled as "slaughter", the problem is that for as much as I try to find stuff I will like, it's so hard to tell what a wad's design philosophy actually will be prior to playing it, so it can be really difficult to distinguish ahead of time what will feel like a fun challenge vs. advanced levels of dickery or just plain tedious.

And that's just the combat, to say nothing of how even modern maps can still suffer from "where the gently caress do I go now?" syndrome even more so than '90s maps did, since let's be frank, most '90s maps weren't a fraction as big or complex as something out of, say, BTSX or Eviternity.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Also, don't just play on UV out of obligation, if a map's hard you can always bump down the difficulty level! It's annoying as a mapper to see a person complain about a map being too hard while refusing to change from UV, we put in the extra time to make difficulty settings for a reason. (PS: Not accusing you of doing this, just a general observation)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
There's two additional difficulty options between UV and HMP most people don't know about, they're called 'not pistol starting' and 'letting yourself save in a map'.

Doctor Bishop posted:

And that's just the combat, to say nothing of how even modern maps can still suffer from "where the gently caress do I go now?" syndrome even more so than '90s maps did, since let's be frank, most '90s maps weren't a fraction as big or complex as something out of, say, BTSX or Eviternity.

I won't name any particular WAD for fear of upsetting anyone with strong attachment to them but typically the worst WADs I've played in terms of being unfun both in being confusing with unclear direction where to go and having rough, bullshit and unfun combat have been old ones from before the year 2000 when everything was just not that well ironed out overall.

Actually gently caress that, I wanna name names, Hell Revealed and Requiem can go crawl up my rear end and die.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 12, 2024

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Weird Sandwich posted:

Also, don't just play on UV out of obligation, if a map's hard you can always bump down the difficulty level! It's annoying as a mapper to see a person complain about a map being too hard while refusing to change from UV, we put in the extra time to make difficulty settings for a reason. (PS: Not accusing you of doing this, just a general observation)

While I find it really hard to bring myself drop to HNTR, I might do that for one of Skillsaw's wads, since honestly, while his idea of a good fight doesn't feel like it's actively trying to be dickish, it does tend to activate my fight-or-flight a bit too hard to actually be able to deal with all the poo poo being thrown at me at once.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

UV or bust :hehe:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Good soup! posted:

He*l Yeah :amen:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe I've been sleeping on Sunlust for so many years. Like, I've heard the name and I've known of the WAD's existence for a long time now, but I've JUST gotten around to actually playing it. A fantastic ball-buster on UV+Pistol Start, and great looking levels to boot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I can't believe I've been sleeping on Sunlust for so many years. Like, I've heard the name and I've known of the WAD's existence for a long time now, but I've JUST gotten around to actually playing it. A fantastic ball-buster on UV+Pistol Start, and great looking levels to boot.

Yeah well, when you get to map 29, you can Go gently caress Yourself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Mods? Mods!

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Related to Sunlust, Ribbiks posted some new maps on Doomworld yesterday
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/143340-cr2wad-6-boom-maps/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bovis posted:

Related to Sunlust, Ribbiks posted some new maps on Doomworld yesterday
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/143340-cr2wad-6-boom-maps/

Oh hells yes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Arivia posted:

Mods? Mods!

:getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

No, but I'll check it out. The mega slaughters are hit and miss for me. Profane Promiseland was fun but Okichokiwhatever I couldn't get into.

If you're referring to Okuplok, it is famously unfinished/unbalanced, people only know it because it had the highest enemy count for a single map at the time.

khwarezm posted:

There's two additional difficulty options between UV and HMP most people don't know about, they're called 'not pistol starting' and 'letting yourself save in a map'.

I'll try to pistol start most things since it can be a pretty good time provided the mapmaker takes progressing from 0 into account, but my patience for replaying sections has gone way down over time. Now I just try to not save in the middle of a fight, but afterwards or if I've just been wandering around for 5 minutes hell yeah I'm dropping a quicksave.

khwarezm posted:

Actually gently caress that, I wanna name names, Hell Revealed and Requiem can go crawl up my rear end and die.

Doom's dirty little secret is that most user maps for about the first 10 years just weren't that good and they're only considered 'classics' because they were all that was available at time time :evilbuddy:

Good soup! posted:

Even though it frequently causes me pain, :yeah: :negative:

Arivia posted:

Mods? Mods!

No, as far as I know Sunlust can be played in vanilla Doom ][ :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

I'll try to pistol start most things since it can be a pretty good time provided the mapmaker takes progressing from 0 into account, but my patience for replaying sections has gone way down over time. Now I just try to not save in the middle of a fight, but afterwards or if I've just been wandering around for 5 minutes hell yeah I'm dropping a quicksave.

It's funny because I pistol start whenever possible nowadays, but I've only been doing that for the last 6 or 7 years. It's really changed my experience overall.

I've come up with all of these arbitrary personal "rules" for saves, like only being able to make one save per 150 monsters in a level (give or take). I play real loose with it sometimes though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I was too scared to play Sunlust on UV so I did HMP with pistol starts, since the .txt highly encourages you to try it if you never have before. I don’t know if it was danne or ribbiks who wrote that, but they were right, and I’ve pistol started as much as possible ever since.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I've been dipping my toes into UV+Pistol start by starting with Overboard and while the main game was doable I'm a little less sure about new game +. Skeleton Coast + is kicking my rear end pretty hard.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Takes No Damage posted:

Doom's dirty little secret is that most user maps for about the first 10 years just weren't that good and they're only considered 'classics' because they were all that was available at time time :evilbuddy:

I certainly do feel like playing 90s wads its more of an effort in archaeology than genuine fun, I think that's why Alien Vendetta still feels so monumental 23 years later, it was just such a revelation in how much gas in the tank Doom still had if you could push it further and further. Having said that, I actually do think that Plutonia has aged well and it was probably the best user made content of the 90s, I can see why it got upgraded into a full paid release.

Something else that stands out to me, if you go back and look into the authors of maps for big projects in the 90s they tended to be very young, Yonatan Donner was only 16 when he made Hell Revealed, and I don't think many other people were much older. They also tended to only hang around the scene for a few years, even the high profile mappers like the Casalis, Donner, the Möllers or Tom Mustaine didn't usually release maps for much more than a 3-5 year period until people got bored and moved onto to greener pastures and more advanced games. Modern Doom mapping tends to involve people who are both older and have been involved in the scene for much longer, I feel like most of the high profile wads in recent years involve people who've been around for at least decade and often a lot longer, like Skillsaw's first map was in 1998 (albeit with a long hiatus until he took it up again) and Dragonfly's was in 2006. Not to sound all pretentious but its pretty much turned into an artform in its own right that people really master rather than a distraction you do for a few years in your teens.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 14, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I certainly do feel like playing 90s wads its more of an effort in archaeology than genuine fun, I think that's why Alien Vendetta still feels so monumental 23 years later, it was just such a revelation in how much gas in the tank Doom still had if you could push it further and further. Having said that, I actually do think that Plutonia has aged well and it was probably the best user made content of the 90s, I can see why it got upgraded into a full paid release.

Something else that stands out to me, if you go back and look into the authors of maps for big projects in the 90s they tended to be very young, Yonatan Donner was only 16 when he made Hell Revealed, and I don't think many other people were much older. They also tended to only hang around the scene for a few years, even the high profile mappers like the Casalis, Donner, the Möllers or Tom Mustaine didn't usually release maps for much more than a 3-5 year period until people got bored and moved onto to greener pastures and more advanced games. Modern Doom mapping tends to involve people who are both older and have been involved in the scene for much longer, I feel like most of the high profile wads in recent years involve people who've been around for at least decade and often a lot longer, like Skillsaw's first map was in 1998 (albeit with a long hiatus until he took it up again) and Dragonfly's was in 2006. Not to sound all pretentious but its pretty much turned into an artform in its own right that people really master rather than a distraction you do for a few years in your teens.

I really have to disagree, by the time Requiem comes around you've got a pretty solid idea of what a map should be and what progression should look like. I'm in the early 2000s now and stuff like Malcolm Sailor's chord series and the Darkening episodes feel very complete and well put together by modern standards, they'd only need a detailing pass to go right into 2024 Cacoward progression.

Things are definitely very rough for a few years at the start of Doom mapping but by 2000 people have definitely figured out the template and are putting out solid stuff overall. What I think also causes a bunch of frustration if you're going back is that there's also stuff people are trying out in terms of level design ideas, gimmicks, tricks and so on, that were important to try and worth doing even if they didn't work out well. Something like Hell Revealed might feel monotonous because you're shotgunning endless barons, but it also worked out a lot of the combat design space in terms of weapon matchups and what was really feasible in ways other WADs to that point hadn't (Hell Revealed for example makes you get really good at fighting an arch-vile with a SSG and no cover because it comes up so much; but conversely you have Cyberpunk and shooting like 30 cyberdemons with an SSG if you're playing from pistol start and it loving sucks.) Conversely, something like the infamous Bob Evans maps in Eternal Doom are loving bullshit, they were at release and they feel even more so now, but they're good templates of what not to do in a big adventure map that set up guidelines for the decades of maps following. And there's good inspiration in Eternal Doom too, Sverre Kvernmo's Darkdome feels like bullshit and then you figure out the switch setup and lots of maps have built off that small puzzles to unlock one key for major progression structure. (You might not think this sounds familiar but how about Going Down's Forbidden Fruit?)

However, there's still this experimentation with stuff that doesn't work years later in the community and it's still important. I hate Scythe MAP28 (Run For It), but it definitely fits into the stream of competitive movement WADs that happened before and after it (archvilejump, Frog and Toad) and that stuff in turn influenced Sunder, and from Sunder we get Sunlust and tons of the current mapping influences/style.

I think it's wrong to discard older stuff pre-AV as being purely archaeological, and especially the super influential big name megawads of those years (Hell Revealed, Eternal Doom, Memento Mori, Requiem) because there's honestly a lot of good dooming there. Just realize the detailing sucks and the textures are sometimes naff and yeah, sometimes it's a mixed bag, but there's a lot of good maps in those. Like when The Trooper's Playground was announced for the Unity ports as an addon, I instantly remembered it as the set with Deep Down Below because that's a solid, fun map, and even if I don't remember every one of the maps in the set, I certainly think that one is good and would recommend it to anyone.

I think one thing that was supposed to really set AV apart was that it was actually curated by the WAD organizers in a way few sets had been beforehand, stuff like Memento Mori or Requiem is far closer to something like Community Chest in terms of being "okay whoever wants to submit something, go right ahead." Even then, AV has a ton of misses, if you're not aware it has like 3 different versions with different maps moved around and some have just been weeded out of the set over time. And even THEN you've still got stuff like Vincent Cataala's Demonic Hordes which would be overstuffed at half its body count, or that just absolutely exhausting mid-10s run of Brad Spencer techbase slaughtermaps which just get monotonous.

AV is really well remembered for a few reasons 1) Kim Andre Malde's maps are literally perfect (Toxic Touch), amazing (Misri Halek) or at worst just plain good fun (Castle Gardens.) 2) It's got other maps that were notable and good by other authors, particularly Dark Dome for being the epitome of the whole "no cover tons of demons what now" strain that started back with like The Living End 3) it was one of the few wads allowed for speedrunning under compet-n rules, so people played tons and tons of it before the standards were opened up (a good thing, don't get me wrong, but it historically speaks to its importance; it's like how these days us youngins think of Go 2 It as being a take on Entryway but it's actually a restock and tweak of DWANGO5). And those reasons don't make it bad, I love it, but it's got bad spots to match the previous megawads that influenced it. (If I was going to think of the first really well coordinated, organized megawad from end to end I'd say it's Icarus: Alien Vanguard but Icarus is overall kinda mid.)

I do think you've got a very good point about how the community has changed in terms of people mapping for Doom since it was the current thing and then moving on, versus people sticking with Doom as its own art form and mastering it. That's absolutely true and it's a great thing.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 14, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've been dipping my toes into UV+Pistol start by starting with Overboard and while the main game was doable I'm a little less sure about new game +. Skeleton Coast + is kicking my rear end pretty hard.

I didn't have too much more trouble on the NG+ maps than I did my first playthrough, even the hardest map (IMO that one that's a circular cave) kicked my rear end about the same amount, though since I'd already practiced it that version is definitely harder. The final map in NG+ actually seemed a lot easier to me once I decided to beeline for the room in the center, clear it out with the BFG then camp and let most of the rest of the map kill itself.

If you clear that you'll definitely be ready to pistol start Going Down :getin:

Arivia posted:

I do think you've got a very good point about how the community has changed in terms of people mapping for Doom since it was the current thing and then moving on, versus people sticking with Doom as its own art form and mastering it. That's absolutely true and it's a great thing.

I wonder if a big part of the apparent quality control issues with early megawads is just that the community was so much smaller and younger that if you wanted to get 32 maps together in a reasonable timeframe you had to accept just about anything. My favorite megawads are all primarily solo authors (Going Down, Sunlust, Skillsaw stuff) and expecting a teenager to put something like that together with 90s mapping tools probably isn't realistic. I keep meaning go through a bunch of Mt. Pain review videos and work up a spreadsheet with the top 5 maps from a bunch of classic but inconsistent megawads sort of a Classic Doom Cliff's Notes series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I wonder if a big part of the apparent quality control issues with early megawads is just that the community was so much smaller and younger that if you wanted to get 32 maps together in a reasonable timeframe you had to accept just about anything. My favorite megawads are all primarily solo authors (Going Down, Sunlust, Skillsaw stuff) and expecting a teenager to put something like that together with 90s mapping tools probably isn't realistic. I keep meaning go through a bunch of Mt. Pain review videos and work up a spreadsheet with the top 5 maps from a bunch of classic but inconsistent megawads sort of a Classic Doom Cliff's Notes series.

Absolutely. Bob Evans' Eternal Doom maps were actually offcuts from his ODESSA series. Requiem has a chunk of the early 20s where things are unusually tiny and easy, and that's because there was literally nothing there until Adam Windsor stepped in and donated stuff from his Demonfear megawad in progress (all small maps but they're small enough a bunch of them are unusually hard). There's a Ikka Keranen map you see like 3 times if you play through the top 100 doom WADs (the chronological predecessor to the Cacowards), because he did it for one project and then just kept making small tweaks and submitting it to the next thing and hey it's still an alright map so yeah, put it in.

I think Demonfear might be the first solo megawad to get an award in that top 100 Doom WADs list, and it's very easy to see why it was doable, it's very small and achievable (and even then Windsor admits to burnout in the .txt if I remember correctly.)

e: one thing that you should get in the habit of if you're pistol-starting is making a backup save at the very beginning of each level. like very beginning, before you shoot anything hopefully. Pistol starting adds a routing challenge of figuring out where to go to get weapons to progress, which is why it's great, but it means that you can sometimes softlock yourself if you walk into fights you can't handle with the weaponry you do have. Having that backup beginning of level save has allowed me to restart on maps where I've missed an important part of progression and figured it out later, then I can replay and go right instead of left and get the RL at the right time or whatever.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2024

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

I will say, as impressive as it is on an artistic and technical level that modern mappers can manage to squeeze so much out of the Doom engine, I find the wads that make a point to be more limited in scope (especially in the size and complexity of maps) to be the most fun to actually play.

In particular, lately I've found wads that explicitly aim at taking old-school map ideas, whether from the commercial iwads or from old 90s custom maps, and riffing on them to be some of the most engaging experiences due to them having that short and punchy quality that feels more befitting of the Doom experience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

I will say, as impressive as it is on an artistic and technical level that modern mappers can manage to squeeze so much out of the Doom engine, I find the wads that make a point to be more limited in scope (especially in the size and complexity of maps) to be the most fun to actually play.

In particular, lately I've found wads that explicitly aim at taking old-school map ideas, whether from the commercial iwads or from old 90s custom maps, and riffing on them to be some of the most engaging experiences due to them having that short and punchy quality that feels more befitting of the Doom experience.

you'll probably enjoy the 1994 tune up project then: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/1994tu

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I'm probably a bit too mean talking about old Wads, because I do get it that this was uncharted territory and people then didn't have the literal decades of work done before them to learn and draw from, but I feel like what you are talking about is what I mean when I call it archaeology, its interesting more because you can see how things were developing in the early years and that's the main reason I look at old Wads nowadays, but unfortunately not so much because I find them a particularly fun time when I'm playing Doom. To me that feels like the difference that AV brought, I go back and play that Wad because I think its genuinely very well designed and fun, with caveats of course but then you can't hit the mark 32 times in a row (though I'll admit that I kind of like Demonic Hordes for its total audacity and I find the moment to moment fights are still good despite the overbearing quantity). Its the oldest non-retail Wad I would do that for.

I do try to give some credit to things like Hell Revealed where I can, there genuinely are maps (notably MAP26: Afterlife) that I think are very interesting to play and should be sought out by people who are interested in the history of Doom modding, but its just hopelessly outweighed by maps like Map 23: Ascending to the Stars that make me hate myself, the game and the developers, and when I played Requiem it really felt like there were these enormous gulfs between the good maps as well where you were primarily having to deal with clunky, ugly, and unfair levels that don't gel together at all.

Doctor Bishop posted:

This is very much something that still appeals to most mappers I think, like Ozonia is a good example.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 14, 2024

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Arivia posted:

you'll probably enjoy the 1994 tune up project then: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/1994tu

Thanks for the rec. 👍

khwarezm posted:

I'm probably a bit too mean talking about old Wads, because I do get it that this was uncharted territory and people then didn't have the literal decades of work done before them to learn and draw from, but I feel like what you are talking about is what I mean when I call it archaeology, its interesting more because you can see how things were developing in the early years and that's the main reason I look at old Wads nowadays, but unfortunately not so much because I find them a particularly fun time when I'm playing Doom.

It's funny how I saw this post on Cohost talking about difficulty in old FPS games and it used CRINGE! as its main example for some odd reason.

CRINGE! being an old Doom 1 episode by Mark Klem that's oddly engaging because of just how bizarre it is, particularly with the accompanying graphics and sound modifications, though the second-to-last map is pretty show-stoppingly bad largely thanks to its central gimmick of having a giant multistory elevator.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Thanks for the rec. 👍

It's funny how I saw this post on Cohost talking about difficulty in old FPS games and it used CRINGE! as its main example for some odd reason.

CRINGE! being an old Doom 1 episode by Mark Klem that's oddly engaging because of just how bizarre it is, particularly with the accompanying graphics and sound modifications, though the second-to-last map is pretty show-stoppingly bad largely thanks to its central gimmick of having a giant multistory elevator.

Yeah, CRINGE! doesn’t always play nice with limit-removing and newer ports. I mostly remember it because its secret level music intermittently got stuck in my head at odd moments for years, long after I’d forgotten what WAD it was from. It took combing through a Doom wiki after a friend of mine helped me narrow it down to a small number of possibilities before I finally found it, and its definitely a 1994 WAD, but I give it points for great music and pushing the envelope.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Not the hottest take, the first 5-6 years were clearly the starting years, and people were discovering and learning how to make good wads. Lots of people take 2002 as the year where things started to improve for real(Alien Vendetta in '02, Scythe in '03, Hell Revealed 2 in '04) ... so close enough to your 'first 10 years'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure whether Hell Revealed was an improvement as much as something that poisoned the wad design philosophy for years.