Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I completely forgot that in vanilla the only lighting option is a lamp that sits on the floor. Wall or ceiling lamps are what I want.

Also I'm playing through with the Pirates expanded mod and realized 2 things: 1 is that is not really.. pirate-y, is it? Its big mechanics is hiring mercenaries and war caskets. It does add sea shanties and a cannon, but thats it.

Second, turning on both the weapon cool down skull and melee cooldown skull leads to silly things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy6IrQvNWfY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

FrancisFukyomama posted:

A mod to add poo, it’s like I’m playing space station 13

unironically the best and most polished mod that adds mechanics and complexity, by a mile

Leal posted:

I completely forgot that in vanilla the only lighting option is a lamp that sits on the floor. Wall or ceiling lamps are what I want.

Dub's Hygiene has ceiling fans that are also lights (and can be toggled to darklights)

Wall Light (I've used this for a long time)
also includes a wall sun lamp

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 14, 2024

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Dub's Bad Hygiene really should be rolled into the base game. That and Rimatomics.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

King Doom posted:

Dub's Bad Hygiene really should be rolled into the base game. That and Rimatomics.

100% bad hygiene should, especially the temperature regulating objects. Also being able to water crops seems important in this game where you grow crops.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wall lamps are absolutely essential and it's 100% for aesthetic reasons

Also another voice for "Dubs bad hygiene should be in the base game"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Checking out this game coming from df and is there a goon recommended mod collection? I’d like something that adds cool mechanics instead of just a billion redundant items. Also kind of automation machines so I can do some factorial shenanigans. I remember masterwork in df used to have those and they fit the genre pretty well when they worked

Rimatomics: Adds a lot of mid-game and end-game projects revolving around nuclear energy with its own tech tree. You can go in shallow (just build a basic reactor to give yourself a ton of power budget) or deep (build your whole base out of depleted uranium, erect obelisks of nod everywhere, launch ICBMs at your enemies)

Dub's Bad Hygiene: Adds plumbing and things like toilets, pools, showers, etc. I've never tried it but a lot of people swear that it's great

Alpha Animals: Adds a shitload of cool alien animals. There is a little bit of redundancy here but it's mostly cool poo poo. The real reason to get though is for the next mod:

Alpha Biomes: Adds special new biomes that also have a handful of their own alien animals. These are all really cool. Some of the new biomes are just cool and interesting, others offer a challenging experience, all are unique and introduce new mechanics

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vanilla Factions Expanded: Mechanoids has all of the factory automation stuff you could ever want, but you'll probably want to disable its total war mechanic. IMO just leaning hard into the mechanitor mechanics with the Biotech DLC is more fun

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alpha Biomes is great because it gives you an easymode biome that I adore because it has giant cowbees.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Rimatomics: Adds a lot of mid-game and end-game projects revolving around nuclear energy with its own tech tree. You can go in shallow (just build a basic reactor to give yourself a ton of power budget) or deep (build your whole base out of depleted uranium, erect obelisks of nod everywhere, launch ICBMs at your enemies)

I have never played long enough to get to the deeper parts of Rimatomics, the depleted uranium stuff requires years to get anything

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I ended up calling the trader to buy plutonium and eventually just buying warheads because while they're 15k a pop, I can earn that much in the time it takes to produce enough at base to make my own warhead.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

QuarkJets posted:

Dub's Bad Hygiene: Adds plumbing and things like toilets, pools, showers, etc. I've never tried it but a lot of people swear that it's great

Alpha Animals: Adds a shitload of cool alien animals. There is a little bit of redundancy here but it's mostly cool poo poo. The real reason to get though is for the next mod:

Alpha Biomes: Adds special new biomes that also have a handful of their own alien animals. These are all really cool. Some of the new biomes are just cool and interesting, others offer a challenging experience, all are unique and introduce new mechanics

DBH adds another two needs that must be met for colonist happiness, but adds a ton of different things to handle those needs and happiness.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

it also adds central heating and cooling so you don't have to deal with putting ACs in all your walls

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Alpha Animals has Fungal Husks which are just colony enders with how much damage they do and the rot they inflict. They're not even the most wtf things introduced with that mod compared to Arcturan Sky Eels. Doesn't matter how much armor your colonists have if they're all having heart attacks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VideoWitch posted:

it also adds central heating and cooling so you don't have to deal with putting ACs in all your walls

there's also a standalone version just called dub's central heating for those who just want the new temperature control but doesn't want to deal with the poop

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's a lot more than that though, it's also drinking water and washing and a whole bunch of creature comfort furniture (bathtubs, sinks, water fountains, swimming pools, hot tubs, saunas) plus the whole HVAC system of air and water piping

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
but there is poop

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like a crappy mod

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Your Computer posted:

but there is poop

I think there's a no poop option. Once you research septic tanks (or have a river nearby) and water treatment, dealing with the poop becomes a non-issue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Doltos posted:

Alpha Animals has Fungal Husks which are just colony enders with how much damage they do and the rot they inflict. They're not even the most wtf things introduced with that mod compared to Arcturan Sky Eels. Doesn't matter how much armor your colonists have if they're all having heart attacks.

I never had an issue with Husks personally but you can disable any of the animals individually in the settings.

One of the better parts of the Vanilla Expanded series is that they're pretty good about letting you curate with in-game options to disable pretty much any individual thing you dislike.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zore posted:

I never had an issue with Husks personally but you can disable any of the animals individually in the settings.

One of the better parts of the Vanilla Expanded series is that they're pretty good about letting you curate with in-game options to disable pretty much any individual thing you dislike.

Too bad your load times are still going to suffer because the game has to load the assets even if you aren't going to see them. :smith:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dehumanize yourself and face to 15 minute modded loadtimes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
didnt rimworld used to have grass on nearly every square but the game tracking growth of every square of grass every tick cumulatively generated a huge amount of extra cpu work

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Asimo posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to 15 minute modded loadtimes.

Dehumanize yourself and face the poo times.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Doltos posted:

Pretty sure the solution to fungal husks is fire.
Now a gallatross is something you do not mess around with.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doltos posted:

they have like 80hp per limb and i don't think they feel pain lol

Dunno-Lars posted:

Pretty sure the solution to fungal husks is fire.

actually, that's a point. is there a way to generate flames if you don't have chemfuel?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I can't remember which mod it was but the one that added the ancient cave spiders can gently caress right off. It basically just added raid bosses as roaming animals, the spider in particular was just overwhelming powerful to my modest colony, even its weakness (fire) just suspended its otherwise overwhelming regeneration

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they have like 80hp per limb and i don't think they feel pain lol

actually, that's a point. is there a way to generate flames if you don't have chemfuel?

Flamebow from raiders or traders. Impids? I think that's it. Molotovs are not that uncommon from raids either.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Maybe you can start a fire by casting waterskip on a battery? :thunk:

It's generally very easy to loot or purchase a flame weapon though, and boomalopes are easy to tame as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Burn boxes are one of the most powerful and easy to set up vanilla defense measures against anything but mechanoids.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Flamebows are really good at making combatants leave cover in the middle of a fight, one of my doctors got hosed up but good just last night by this very thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah a flamebow is a pro early game purchase if you're doing a tribal start, they're pretty common to see in trade

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So, I've got something silly like a few thousand hours in this, like most people here I imagine..I've not played much since ideology came out, I messed a bit with the new one, can't remember what it's called and enjoyed it, but didn't get too hooked too this time last year. I did finish my first ever game though and did the archonexus ending.

However, I decided to support Tynan, like a fool, and got this on my Xbox too with Royalty and Ideology without playing it, but we had no internet the other day so I decided to boot it up. 30 hours later and my colony just collapsed (mainly I stopped caring because the Xbox was struggling with 20+ pawns and 600k wealth) and well, here I am.. hooked again and coming back to steam.

I certainly played the game a lot more during the Alpha build days, but holy poo poo is there a lot of new mods in the last year or so. That's insane.

Anyone got any really good suggestions for just "cool" mods. I've got the usual, like Rimfella, Rimatronics...the one with the build able planes and shuttle things, STS or something. (it's been awhile).

But yeah, what can I add to my game now, because.. Rimworld.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
add dinosaurs, be caveman

t-rex skull is an op helmet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

So, I've got something silly like a few thousand hours in this, like most people here I imagine..I've not played much since ideology came out, I messed a bit with the new one, can't remember what it's called and enjoyed it, but didn't get too hooked too this time last year. I did finish my first ever game though and did the archonexus ending.

However, I decided to support Tynan, like a fool, and got this on my Xbox too with Royalty and Ideology without playing it, but we had no internet the other day so I decided to boot it up. 30 hours later and my colony just collapsed (mainly I stopped caring because the Xbox was struggling with 20+ pawns and 600k wealth) and well, here I am.. hooked again and coming back to steam.

I certainly played the game a lot more during the Alpha build days, but holy poo poo is there a lot of new mods in the last year or so. That's insane.

Anyone got any really good suggestions for just "cool" mods. I've got the usual, like Rimfella, Rimatronics...the one with the build able planes and shuttle things, STS or something. (it's been awhile).

But yeah, what can I add to my game now, because.. Rimworld.

Alpha Animals and Alpha Biomes are excellent content mods, I always run with those. Alpha Biomes especially comes with a lot of interesting variety

Vanilla Factions Expanded has some good content but imo just use 1 at a time, that alone can be the whole focus of your colony. VFE Ancients adds a neat x-men-superpowers system based around finding ancient vaults and bringing their cool genetic engineering poo poo home with you, Empire adds a lot of events and actions based around getting in with the empire faction, and Deserters is the opposite of that - there's a ton of content embedded in those.

Vanilla Psycasts Expanded is a massive expansion on the psionics system, its balance is obscene but it's a lot of fun.

Vanilla Vehicles Expanded is like SRTS but for ground vehicles. I haven't tried it but a lot of people seem to like it. It has some basic flying stuff in it too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's weird because I run Vanilla Psycasts Expanded but honestly rarely get that much mileage out of the offensive stuff. The utility stuff is bonkers overpowered but kind of boring and the classics like berserk pulse still do work, but whenever I try to make combat wizards that shoot lightning and stuff I always get frustrated by their terrible range or choked by heat limitations compared to just using old fashioned kite-and-shoot tactics.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kanos posted:

It's weird because I run Vanilla Psycasts Expanded but honestly rarely get that much mileage out of the offensive stuff. The utility stuff is bonkers overpowered but kind of boring and the classics like berserk pulse still do work, but whenever I try to make combat wizards that shoot lightning and stuff I always get frustrated by their terrible range or choked by heat limitations compared to just using old fashioned kite-and-shoot tactics.

You gotta get to the higher level psycasts for the offensive stuff to really shine. eg one of the top Fire spells is basically a gigantic fuckoff orbital laser that will put the caster in a coma for several hours, but it will delete raids if you can drop it on them when they're bunched up. It heats things up so high that rocks will explode from it while outdoors, to give you an idea of how utterly hosed anything it hits is, it's hilariously overpowered.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've used that stuff and I generally just find it really impractical. Any situation where the enemies are bunched that much means they could have been blown up by normal rear end mortars or tricked into killing each other via berserk pulse without putting a high level psycaster in a coma for days.

The only two offensive spells I ever get any real mileage out of are chain bolt and frost ray, and frost ray functionally requires a killbox designed to use it to actually achieve efficiency.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Back when I was running a psycaster monastery with VPE I mostly used utility and control spells rather than direct attacks as well. Of course, I was also funneling all the anima grass into a single god pawn that put every point into focus cost reduction to eventually cast for free and relied on neurotrainers and psyrings for learning spells, so most of the fighting (and labor) was handled by thralls.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Frost Ray pierces enemies, so any group of melee attackers (bugs, tribals, manhunters) can just get annihilated by 1 caster standing at the end of a hallway. It's bonkers

Fire Beam is also pretty hilarious

The Warlord tree is full of insanely good casts, 1 pawn with the Warlord psycasts and a bunch of levels enhancing their psychic sensitivity and focus cost can solo entire groups of enemies. Cast Firing Focus and Guided Shot with a Minigun and see which one melts first, 20 centipedes or your CPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Warlord falls into the overpowered utility stuff I mentioned. It's also not particularly interesting to use - of course pressing a couple of buttons and making a dude run at cheetah speed and attack twice as fast for twice as much damage is extremely strong.