Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wow that's not that many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Yeah, they're pretty universally way too loving high.

Then go slower! It works in both directions, the posted limits are mostly arbitrary numbers.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it is the speed limit not the speed minimum. and tahts just the facts.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's small potatoes compared to the infuriating moving violations people share ITT, but I see a lot of cars parked way up on the sidewalk every day when I walk to work. Mostly on sidestreets. It occurs to me as odd that the default behaviour for drivers who 'need' to stop somewhere is to get out of the way of road traffic, at the cost of inconveniencing pedestrians. These aren't even very narrow streets and they're mostly one-ways; even though parking is legal only on one side there's plenty of room for a big truck to make it through if someone just parked on the other side. Yet people still ride up on the sidewalk, inconveniencing pedestrians, because apparently that's just the thing you're supposed to do? I wish I could articulate this better, but it strikes me as odd learned behaviour. Surely no driver's ed schools are teaching this illegal move.

Sometimes I fold their mirrors in.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Mister Speaker posted:

It's small potatoes compared to the infuriating moving violations people share ITT, but I see a lot of cars parked way up on the sidewalk every day when I walk to work. Mostly on sidestreets. It occurs to me as odd that the default behaviour for drivers who 'need' to stop somewhere is to get out of the way of road traffic, at the cost of inconveniencing pedestrians. These aren't even very narrow streets and they're mostly one-ways; even though parking is legal only on one side there's plenty of room for a big truck to make it through if someone just parked on the other side. Yet people still ride up on the sidewalk, inconveniencing pedestrians, because apparently that's just the thing you're supposed to do? I wish I could articulate this better, but it strikes me as odd learned behaviour. Surely no driver's ed schools are teaching this illegal move.

When you drive you don't see others as fully human to the same level as a driver, so any inconveniences or dangers to those subhumans is acceptable if it makes things mildly less stressful for a driver.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

You should "accidentally" have a sharp object protruding from your bag to scratch up all of these assholes' cars.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That will get you shot in the US

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Counterpoint, speed limits are often political decisions that have nothing to do with road safety limits.

it was through one of those wealthy and well connected communities that successfully lobbied for their speed limit to be 10mph below the surrounding communities despite the road conditions not changing. but I admit, I was wrong to speed, all communities should be afforded the privilege of a safe speed limit or better yet the privilege of banning all cars within their boundaries

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Then go slower! It works in both directions, the posted limits are mostly arbitrary numbers.

https://x.com/AthertonKD/status/1120376944061583360?s=20

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

drivers have a pathological urge to infringe upon pedestrian spaces and it’s one of those car brain meme things, like how if you flip your own windshield wipers out when you park, then other drivers around you will start doing the same, even if there’s no chance of ice or snow

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mister Speaker posted:

May god bless you

SimonSays posted:

When you drive you don't see others as fully human to the same level as a driver, so any inconveniences or dangers to those subhumans is acceptable if it makes things mildly less stressful for a driver.

I don't. I don't think most people do either.

evil_bunnY posted:

The actions that define the group are the reason we hate them, HTH

You know who else liked cars? That's right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

funny thing about US infrastructure is that in many places you have to drive even if you don’t want to because of freedumbs or whatever. oh and people like Elon killing public transportation so they can make more money.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

raggedphoto posted:

funny thing about US infrastructure is that in many places you have to drive even if you don’t want to because of freedumbs or whatever. oh and people like Elon killing public transportation so they can make more money.

Elon has done a lot of bad stuff and if we let him keep going he’ll do a whole lot more, but imo pinning public transit on him is probably not one of them. I mean, yeah he’s incredibly anti transit and stuff like hyperloop is obviously not helping, but call me a cynic I don’t think CA high speed rail or improved transit would have happened even if Elon hadn’t been there

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Elon has done a lot of bad stuff and if we let him keep going he’ll do a whole lot more, but imo pinning public transit on him is probably not one of them. I mean, yeah he’s incredibly anti transit and stuff like hyperloop is obviously not helping, but call me a cynic I don’t think CA high speed rail or improved transit would have happened even if Elon hadn’t been there

probably not BUT we also live in the world where he was there and actively pulled funding/support away from it so gently caress em

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You should "accidentally" have a sharp object protruding from your bag to scratch up all of these assholes' cars.

I've thought about this before but have never really been angry enough to go through with it, plus it's pretty loud and what if they're right around the corner and hear it.

Walking up the same street just now, I crossed at a stop sign and a guy in an suv had to stop short. He was fully not intending to stop for the sign so I stood in front of his car and pointed it out. He said "it's obscured by that white van," like buddy don't bullshit me. You know it's there and there's also a stop line on the road. You old dipshit.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
He certainly is a small part of the problem but yeah he actively fights against mass transit so therefore is a pile of poo poo human.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

probably not BUT we also live in the world where he was there and actively pulled funding/support away from it so gently caress em

You know what, fair point

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

weather today is very pleasant, for walking

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

rode an ebike around town today to do a bunch of workstuff, it was 32F but since the sun was out it really wasnt too cold

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

saw a car parked in the bike lane the other day with a speeding ticket under the wiper, warmed my heart :unsmith:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

whenever i see a boot on a car it warms the cockles of my heart

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Whenever I see a car's mirror smashed aside along the bike lane and it wasn't even me, I feel the warmth of solidarity with my fellow cyclists

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
to no one's surprise, repaving roads just increases speeds. the ideal case is continued decline of the material base and roads just deteriorating to such a large degree that average speeds decrease
https://twitter.com/BerkSafeStreets/status/1737951952712175877
https://twitter.com/BerkSafeStreets/status/1737951955321032788

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
then you'll need a lifted pickup to traverse the rough terrain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1757570222452609351

quote:

🚨#BREAKING: A vehicle has driven through an emergency room at a medical center, with multiple injuries reported

📌#Austin | #Texas

Currently, numerous law enforcement and other emergency personnel are on the scene in Austin, Texas, after a vehicle had driven through inside the emergency room at the St. David's North Austin Medical Center. EMS officials estimate there are between 20-49 patients, with reports of 11 people injured. They are categorizing it as a Level 4 mass casualty incident, and police are urging people to avoid the area. This is still developing.

cars now employing IDF-style tactics

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

repave the road

with cobblestones :getin:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

biking after heavy snow is an adventure

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

corona familiar posted:

repave the road

with cobblestones :getin:

I hate riding my bike on cobblestones.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seems like it would be better to choose a safe speed regardless of an arbitrary sign based on the lobbying of local karens or traffic cops that want to extort people.
When would it ever be safer to go faster than the speed limit? How would that work?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mauser posted:

big fat tires ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mauser posted:

:same:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Tiggum posted:

When would it ever be safer to go faster than the speed limit? How would that work?

passing someone going real slow on a two lane highway, better to speed so you spend less time in the oncoming lane (which is why it's legal to do so in some states)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

passing someone going real slow on a two lane highway, better to speed so you spend less time in the oncoming lane (which is why it's legal to do so in some states)

You could simply not go into the oncoming lane. That would actually be the safer option, I think. Just accept that your trip might take very slightly longer due to unforeseen traffic conditions.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mauser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PekCb9m-ao

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

9/11 for British TRUK guys currently happening

https://twitter.com/h_h_gray/status/1757420831892820112

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tiggum posted:

the faster you drive the less time you need to be exposed in a car which means = safer

it's quite simple. i'm a zoom demon since it means less car time = good. get out of my way granny i got places to be (aka not on the road)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Horace posted:

Imagine if Biden tried to tax oversized novelty trucks $290/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Horace posted:

Lol get rekt