Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the continuing trend of "literally everything becoming partisan" news, views on specific states have dramatically shifted and sorted by partisanship.

California has seen the sharpest division among partisanship. It was previously rated the most popular state for decades, but now 48% of the country says that California "isn't really part of America" and that it is on the decline.

Even the weather and natural environment, two things that basically everyone loved in California, are now polarized with large segments of Republicans says that California has terrible weather and a "worse natural environment than other states."

40% of Republicans say that there is nowhere in California that is a good place to visit and they would stay away.

Over 75% of Republicans now say they would be afraid for their personal safety if they ever went to California.

Similar, but less extreme, patterns are emerging with Democrats and Florida. Florida used to be a widely popular state, but now only about 52% of Americans say that Florida feels like it matches their values.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1757406392715972904

Honestly, if right-wingers are unhappy in California, they can just leave, the rest of us will be better off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
House finally got their ducks in order and impeached Mayorkas. https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/mayorkas-impeachment-house-vote-02-13-24/index.html

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Good info here.

In addition to housing, would it help if all the good yuppie jobs were spread over the country instead of just the desirable cities? Like, some people would never move to Bumfuck, Midwest US no matter what but it would be a lot more desirable if they got 250K/yr to do so

I think it would be better if there were jobs that kept people from leaving the region.

But you have to build all that up from scratch, because no one in their right mind is going to pour the resources into anywhere outside of the coasts or like Texas where the infrastructure and expertise doesn't already exist.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I saw a paper that remote work resulted in a lot more Appalachian graduates returning home after college. The immediate effect is really just to stop the bleeding rather than rebuild the area.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Morrow posted:

I saw a paper that remote work resulted in a lot more Appalachian graduates returning home after college. The immediate effect is really just to stop the bleeding rather than rebuild the area.

Were those jobs able to stay remote? I hope so.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A lot more of the wfh movement was within regions. Interstate was a smaller portion than in region, it’s just more visible to folks.

The in region wfh moves aren’t going to move back, if back is hybrid and most bto seems to be hybrid.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Were those jobs able to stay remote? I hope so.

Many of them ya. We have team in the office two days once a month. The company flys you out and puts you up in a hotel for two days. It's cheaper on the department's budget than playing facilities for a full time desk.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

For us it was only us suckers who stayed local who were brought back hybrid. Everyone else who hosed off around the country had the right idea. One guy built a mini-house into a trailer and every other week I have a call with him where he's in some new national park.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Our state leaders are making sure that our sunshine laws will soon only apply to regular people and not them. They conveniently made the selection process for state university presidents confidential when they hired former Sen. Ben Sasse to go run UF.

Oh yeah I totally know that. Just saying it's been a factor in "Florida Man" becoming a meme when other states have plenty of incredibly dumb people as well.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

People are gonna read a LOT into a Republican leaning suburb of NYC special election on the day of the worst snow storm NYC has gotten in years.

Ehh this one was over over by noon. I've seen rain events that were more disruptive to polling

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big election news in a swing state leaning Dem

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/1757582844870705601?s=20

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

If people are sick of these updates, please let me know.

This guy is apparently trusted by local reporters.

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1757590131211391406

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1757594707557745016

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1757593852741906915

The snow probably hurt the GOP more than the Dems here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Calls are starting to come in for the Dem

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1757600237919551981?s=20

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Nassau County votes started coming in and Suozzi was leading in the first batch.

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1757600665306583271

Decision Desk decided to call it already.

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1757600237919551981

AP too.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1757601637923684352

Yay.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Was there much reputable polling for this race?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bidens polling numbers really hindered Suozzis ability to have his victory called an hour earlier than expected. What will Bidens polling numbers do next?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What a relief. I also hate that a single house seat matters so much.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Regardless of who would've won, that election was unique enough that it wouldn't have meant anything for November unless one candidate won by a large margin. But a win is a win.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Anno posted:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Anno posted:

This says the polls were D+3, but doesn't say who the pollsters were.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Now just to be clear, we are sure this isn't Santos under another alias, right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Oh yeah I totally know that. Just saying it's been a factor in "Florida Man" becoming a meme when other states have plenty of incredibly dumb people as well.

Well, there's also a limit one citizens of other states to do alligator beard crimes. That and the entire state being either beaches or hillbillies makes for very media friendly crimes to cherry pick.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

What's the house margin after that?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So if we unskew the polls Biden is actually at 50% approval

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I feel like we're going to see a decent amount of takes like the following.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1755637354398662769

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Normy posted:

What's the house margin after that?

I think it's now 219-213. 6 seat majority There are still 4 vacancies, I believe.

https://pressgallery.house.gov/member-data/party-breakdown

Apparently this election was one of the drivers for having Mayorkas' impeachment happen today.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/FoxReports/status/1757610191015624929

There's still some tea leaves to read in terms of the exact margin, to see whether dems over or underperformed polls.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I live in this district, and I have a few observations.

In my area at least there were tons of Mazi signs all over the place, and a few Suozzi signs which is..pretty surprising actually. My area is really really red and to see signs for Suozzi in this area is pretty significant. Democrats here tend to keep their mouths shut here and don't put out signs or have stickers on their car out of fear of vandalism.

My wife and I voted early, a week ago on the first day of early voting. The polling pace had a HUUUGE line out the door for this one election, and many of the people early voting were probably in their 70s.

The amount of paper, phone calls, targeted advertising and the rest was loving NUTS. I'd get 4-5 broadsheets a day in the mail for each candidate. The two big themes were 'she's anti abortion' and 'hes tied to Biden at the hip.' These are obviously trial balloons for November.

As a candidate she sucked. No idea why she was nominated, probably because she checked off a number of boxes (Wait, i thought the republicans hated identity politics?). She had no real positions, no character and no personality. Apparently at the debate she floundered badly.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Regardless of who would've won, that election was unique enough that it wouldn't have meant anything for November unless one candidate won by a large margin. But a win is a win.

Is an almost 20 point margin not "large"?

EDIT: Especially when Santos himself won it by 7.5%

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I was using old data. Current margin is about 8.5%. Still a 15 point swing.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 14, 2024

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is an almost 20 point margin not "large"?

Sounds like a lot of the remaining votes may be from R friendly areas, just not enough to change the result. We'll see.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my understanding is the house gop pushed the impeachment vote to avoid dealing with the seat flipping, but the foreseeable result is losing a bunch of media focus on the impeachment to prognosticate on the horse race. a gop house so bad they can't even match the hay the tea party folks made out of benghazi

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Enough of this.

Democrats winning in the midterms.
Democrats winning in special elections in 2023.
Democrats winning in special elections in 2024.
Democrats winning in bad weather.
Democrats winning in good weather.
Democrats winning very strange seats.
Democrats winning very normal seats.
Democrats also retained control of the PA House with a +35 win in a +10 Biden district.

What's the common thread here? Democrats winning, and they keep on winning. But I'm sure that the people who voted for almost-senior citizen centrist Zionist "close the border" Suozzi are not going to vote for Biden because he's old or Gaza or something.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

small butter posted:

Enough of this.

Democrats winning in the midterms.
Democrats winning in special elections in 2023.
Democrats winning in special elections in 2024.
Democrats winning in bad weather.
Democrats winning in good weather.
Democrats winning very strange seats.
Democrats winning very normal seats.
Democrats also retained control of the PA House with a +35 win in a +10 Biden district.

What's the common thread here? Democrats winning, and they keep on winning. But I'm sure that the people who voted for almost-senior citizen centrist Zionist "close the border" Suozzi are not going to vote for Biden because he's old or Gaza or something.

[sarcasm]
No, the fact the Dems keep winning means nothing for Biden.

Actually, let me tell you why it's bad for him!
[/sarcasm]

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1757608315427672498

Ither fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 14, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

donald trump was simultaneously convicted of 1,000 crimes and caught on fire before being devoured by velociraptors. here's why this is bad news for biden

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Staluigi posted:

donald trump was simultaneously convicted of 1,000 crimes and caught on fire before being devoured by velociraptors. here's why this is bad news for biden

Well, for one thing, that won’t cost Trump any votes

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Actually as I was listing the reasons this district is unique, all but one should have favored the Republican. Maybe it is good news.
Most swing districts:
Are not 20% Jewish, many of whom are now single-issue Israel voters
Do not have the Republicans running a candidate practically tailor made for the district
Are not in states where abortion rights are secure
Are not right next to a city where a surge of migration is overwhelming services, and where the NY Post is constantly highlighting that fact
Are not laughingstocks for having elected George Santos
...huh, I thought this was going to be more balanced, maybe this is pretty good news for the Dems

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Actually as I was listing the reasons this district is unique, all but one should have favored the Republican. Maybe it is good news.
Most swing districts:
Are not 20% Jewish, many of whom are now single-issue Israel voters
Do not have the Republicans running a candidate practically tailor made for the district
Are not in states where abortion rights are secure
Are not right next to a city where a surge of migration is overwhelming services, and where the NY Post is constantly highlighting that fact
Are not laughingstocks for having elected George Santos
...huh, I thought this was going to be more balanced, maybe this is pretty good news for the Dems

You're missing arguably the single biggest factor: Suozzi held the seat for several terms, leaving it to run for Governor instead

He's not technically an incumbent but he is essentially an incumbent

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

haveblue posted:

Well, for one thing, that won’t cost Trump any votes

is biden's age worse than chief velociraptor's pledge to withdraw from nato and designate humans as food? tune in for our daily dems in disarray special

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my understanding is the house gop pushed the impeachment vote to avoid dealing with the seat flipping, but the foreseeable result is losing a bunch of media focus on the impeachment to prognosticate on the horse race. a gop house so bad they can't even match the hay the tea party folks made out of benghazi

For once the TV in the break room was on the local news instead of either CSI or NCIS. Which is where I learned they actually impeached the guy "Over disagreements about the border. Experts doubt the Impeachment will proceed." It was sandwiched between a much lengthier segment about the special election and an unhinged attempt to get the viewer to riot over gummies edibles that look like candy gummies.

Staluigi posted:

Actually that probably is bad news for Biden. A large part of his appeal is not being Trump when the only other option is Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gyges posted:

Actually that probably is bad news for Biden. A large part of his appeal is not being Trump when the only other option is Trump.

you're hired. welcome to the opinion desk