Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Dans Macabre posted:

I have a ~ business need ~ for a conference room camera in a conference room that is a circle, with people sitting all around it. Right now we have Owl. Is there anything better? I saw Logitech has some thing.

snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I didn’t realize anyone was still using the owl cameras since the big report about them being huge security risks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

thats a ticket to the a/v team, op. hope this helps

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

graph posted:

thats a ticket to the a/v team, op. hope this helps

I tried but sadly the a/v team didn't select this hardware so they have a strong case about it being Not Their Problem

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dans Macabre posted:

I tried but sadly the a/v team didn't select this hardware so they have a strong case about it being Not Their Problem

very smart of them

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

I didn’t realize anyone was still using the owl cameras since the big report about them being huge security risks

It's true

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

graph posted:

very smart of them

Yeah they are good, sadly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
why was anybody other than the a/v team allowed to purchase and install media equipment

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Crazy right? There should've been policy about this that decision makers should read and comply with. Truly shocking how that didn't play out as expected.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dans Macabre posted:

I have a ~ business need ~ for a conference room camera in a conference room that is a circle, with people sitting all around it. Right now we have Owl. Is there anything better? I saw Logitech has some thing.

I asked this in the grey forums a little while ago.

They seemed to recommend: owl, Nexvoo, Cisco Room Series.

We ended up getting our A/V vendor out and they are getting something that "locks on" to the group of people since our board room is often 1/2 full.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yes that's what I need

what's the thing your av vendor is getting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dans Macabre posted:

yes that's what I need

what's the thing your av vendor is getting

cash, primarily

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
ours is a rectangular table with the camera at one end (by the screen) but I will let you know when I talk to them next.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

most people dgaf about security until they personally get cybermurdered

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

cash, primarily

I'm happy to report that I did meet with our cash-loving vendor and they advised us that what we have the best we can do given Our Requirements and that is the best possible outcome for me, personally. Too blessed to be stressed.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053292

help me m'lord

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

dont have any helpful ideas, but good luck fixing your stinkpad OP

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It was the Vaddio IntelliSHOT, but the microphone to sense where people are only worked up to 10ft and our room is huge, so we kept our camera and are changing the PTZ presets so that it doesn't frame up our entire room. Looks great, boy I love having to guide our vendor experts we pay so that dumb poo poo doesn't happen.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/noobdoggy/status/1756405031798976822?s=46&t=X_0RGjAVwiXmZrJflstUyg

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Aren't they obligate carnivores? No wonder its not booting with such a negligent owner. They should be quartered in the town square and made to install Arch for all to see

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MacOS...

I want to add a cron job on macos to run a script. When I do `crontab -e` it starts with an empty file. I add my job, save, and then when I do crontab -l it says no crontab for me. What gives?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Have you tried Applescript? It's made for Apple computers

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Have you tried Applescript? It's made for Apple computers

I haven't yet no, I was hoping to use the thing I already knew how to use that works on all the other computers I use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so when I make some blender animation I export as pngs and then use ffmpeg to encode

ffmpeg -i %04d.png -qp 12 -c:v libx264 -profile:v high -hide_banner -preset veryslow -filter:v fps=30 -pix_fmt yuv420p G:\Rodtronics\ExportVideos\video0531.mp4

thats what I normally do, but I just noticed, the last aniomation I did had 600 frames, but it encoded 720

so I removed the -filter:v fps=30 and it encoded the 600

I checked the two different file outputs and the first is 30fps and the second is 25fps

It seems like the one with the fps=30 isn't forcing it to just encode 30 frames per second, but seems to be using 25 frames over 30 frames, interpolating or whatever

obv this is stupid as gently caress. I wanted 30fps because that makes mroe sense to me than 25 given everyones displays are a multiple of 30

how do I make it do what I want it to do, which is make a file that plays back at 30fps and encodes 30 frames per second to do this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's been a while but since I've used ffmpeg, but iirc the order of ffmpeg options are important. it's the input options and then the output options. even though in this case the input is a bunch of pictures you still need to tell ffmpeg the input is at 30fps. so put ffmpeg -framerate 30 as the first thing then the rest of your options. i think you can ditch all the other framerate options for the output

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god drat man you’re a mf genius . it worked

thank you 🙏

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
makes sense too

altho can’t believe I’ve exported hundreds and hundreds of rodtronics hosed up like this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

god drat man you’re a mf genius . it worked

thank you 🙏

welcome 🤗

echinopsis posted:

makes sense too

altho can’t believe I’ve exported hundreds and hundreds of rodtronics hosed up like this

part of the charm, no?

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Dans Macabre posted:

MacOS...

I want to add a cron job on macos to run a script. When I do `crontab -e` it starts with an empty file. I add my job, save, and then when I do crontab -l it says no crontab for me. What gives?

crontab has been deprecated for years on Mac

look at the launchd.plist man page

e: or just use https://soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/ which is what I use to disable all the bullshit work puts on the Mac. makes IT real mad too

shitface fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 14, 2024

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

shitface posted:

crontab has been deprecated for years on Mac

look at the launchd.plist man page

e: or just use https://soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/ which is what I use to disable all the bullshit work puts on the Mac. makes IT real mad too

o nice thanks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

shitface posted:

nice, ty

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

someone in yospos posted that they use a pi-hole blocklist that doesn’t block like shopping links, I haven’t been able to find anything like that on my own, anyone know what it is? doesn’t really make sense to me but I know I saw someone post about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
does anybody know off the top of their head any make/model lines for a GaMiNg LaPtOp without a numpad

I saw one a while ago but slept on it and forgot what it was

(it doesn't have to be Big)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

does anybody know off the top of their head any make/model lines for a GaMiNg LaPtOp without a numpad

so specifically a 17"? because i think it is otherwise "most of them"

e: also even if you don't want a numpad take care on getting one that centers the keyboard, because once large enough i think simply offsetting the keyboard to the left is a good thing ergonomically

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean i'll take a 17 if theres one with no pad, but the one i saw was 14 and that seems just right

i had a 17" with a numpad and the offset trackpad before and it was awful

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i guess i might have read "for gaming" into your question, which was not at all obviously there. for gaming i think the offset is almost necessary for ergonomics. but ultimately this series of posts amounts to an overly long take on a "no i don't op" fart simpson post from me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean it was in my post lol. ty for answering tho at least

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not really, a lot of people get a gaming laptop with intent to at least partially do other things with it. and the moment you're typing for a bit or legit use the trackpad i think the offset gets annoying and unergonomic

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

rtings.com says the dell alienware m16 r1 is the best gaymer laptop, and does not appear to have a numpad, but does have an offset trackpad
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/alienware-m16-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m16-r1-laptop

of course a 14" macbook pro with an m3 pro is the best laptop you could buy, so unless gaming is super important you should just get one of those instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not really, a lot of people get a gaming laptop with intent to at least partially do other things with it. and the moment you're typing for a bit or legit use the trackpad i think the offset gets annoying and unergonomic

oh sorry lol. yes i want to play video games on it. i have 9000 other machines for browsing or w/e

Branch Nvidian posted:

rtings.com says the dell alienware m16 r1 is the best gaymer laptop, and does not appear to have a numpad, but does have an offset trackpad
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/alienware-m16-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m16-r1-laptop

of course a 14" macbook pro with an m3 pro is the best laptop you could buy, so unless gaming is super important you should just get one of those instead

this machine will only be used for games, yeah. ill look into this one