Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Starsfan posted:

The scuttlebut that I've heard on political talk shows / commentary is that Mitch McConnell and his faction threw their weight behind supporting the bill after Donald Trump took a position against further aid for Ukraine, apparently the theory is if McConnell can force the package through it will be politically embarrassing for Trump? or at the very least it will be a thumb in his eye.. I don't know if it completely makes sense to me but it is apparent that the Republicans in the Senate reversed course on this matter sometime last week.

Yep. alot of it is factionalism in the GOP. I think stuff can get passed but it will requre alot of luck and getting chuds to try to gently caress each other over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Starsfan posted:

I changed it to less provocative language, was an oversight on my part to let my personal feelings shade the comment.

Your personal feelings are factually false.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Trump's comment on not just abandoning NATO but literally encouraging Russia to attack parts of the alliance probably gave the old guard Republicans a lot to think about. Even though Biden's polls are slipping it's still very possible Trump loses again, and if he does he's probably gone forever. There's been a lot of candidates he endorsed that have lost, so it's not like getting his base's approval is a political necessity either. He's destabilizing to both the party and the country, anyone with a sense of political preservation would be wise to plan for him not being a factor in the near future. And of course, arms sales to Ukraine and Israel on top of backfilling US stockpiles will be extremely lucrative for a decade at minimum. That money gravy train has been stalled for months now so they're probably getting a lot of calls from old pals to get it moving again.

Any number of those factors probably led to the Senate Republicans endorsing this.

It sucks that one of these conflicts is very much not like the other, but they are tied at the hip in US congress because reasons. But Ukraine might not be losing Avdiivka if Ukraine support was passed when it was first tabled months ago, so I'm glad it has a glimmer of hope to move forward again.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Umbreon posted:

I'm actually curious as to what caused those Republicans to vote in favor AFTER the border stuff was taken off.
Donald Trump demanded that the border stuff not be passed, as he doesn’t want to give Biden a win before the election. The Republicans immediately caved in and started blasting their own demands.

So after demanding the whole time that a clean funding bill wouldn’t work, only one with border stuff, they then voted against the deal with border stuff and instead voted for the clean funding bill.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

DTurtle posted:

Donald Trump demanded that the border stuff not be passed, as he doesn’t want to give Biden a win before the election. The Republicans immediately caved in and started blasting their own demands.

So after demanding the whole time that a clean funding bill wouldn’t work, only one with border stuff, they then voted against the deal with border stuff and instead voted for the clean funding bill.

That's my understanding of what happened but I'm still confused as hell as to why the voted for it at all. I'm glad they did, just... Why?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Umbreon posted:

That's my understanding of what happened but I'm still confused as hell as to why the voted for it at all. I'm glad they did, just... Why?

Intra-party squabble. McConnell hates Trump and his loyalists voted for the Ukraine/Israel aid.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Your personal feelings are factually false.
What do you mean? It's definitely been referred to as a proxy war, and the Ukrainians have specifically been identified as proxy forces of the U.S. by a few officials who have the weight of experience to speak on the matter. If this is their claim, would you say that being a proxy force implies being a proxy?

Opinion | Why Russian Sanctions Won’t Stop Putin

www.nytimes.com - Wed, 06 Apr 2022 posted:

## A former head of NATO’s armed forces, Gen. Philip Breedlove, makes the case for what will stop the war instead.

Breedlove: …In war, there’s a lot of things you want to do. And in planning war, there’s a lot of things you want to do. The list is — there’s a list. But a couple of those things are, one, deter your enemy and not allow yourself to be deterred. Two is seize the initiative, and don’t let the enemy take the initiative away from you. We are zero for two in that respect.

Coaston: But we’re not at war with Russia. Is it worth saying that?

Breedlove: I think we are in a proxy war with Russia. We are using the Ukrainians as our proxy forces.

Coaston: Can a proxy war stay a proxy war?

Breedlove: I assume that that’s our current plan. So I think the answer is yes. Now, if the atrocities continue to be unveiled, at what point do the conditions change? The NAC, the North Atlantic Council, and NATO had an emergency meeting this morning. My guess is that was all about what we saw in Irpin and Bucha. And somebody’s got to be held responsible for that. You asked me a question, can this go on? I think it can, if the nations continue to choose to allow Russia to do as it wills on the battlefield without consequence. I guess it can go on.

See also Leon Panetta -

quote:

We are engaged in a conflict here. It’s a proxy war with Russia, whether we say so or not.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWu7cPPVv0

It seems like there's a fair amount of discussion as to what terms apply, and that the lack of an agreed-on definition may be part of the problem:
An intellectual battle rages: Is the U.S. in a proxy war with Russia?

quote:

“Unfortunately for those who like their strategic concepts to be as precise as the best modern weaponry, ‘proxy wars’ lacks an agreed meaning and is used in different ways,” Lawrence Freedman, professor emeritus of war studies at King’s College London, wrote in a January essay published in Britain’s New Statesman.

“The basic idea is that you get someone else to do your fighting for you,” wrote Freedman, who argued that the concept did not apply to Ukraine.

But Hal Brands, a professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, has said that is precisely what the United States and its allies are doing in Ukraine. “Russia is the target of one of the most ruthlessly effective proxy wars in modern history,” he wrote in an opinion column for Bloomberg shortly after the war began.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Umbreon posted:

The Senate Republicans still have a significant minority of anti-Russia and pro-Israel members. Those members were willing to hold the bill hostage in order to pass border stuff, but unwilling to kill it entirely.

Now we will have to see what it looks like in the House. The problem there is that while there is a majority for the bill (it just needs a very small number of Republicans to pass), the newish Speaker is a hard-Trumper. I personally do expect it to pass after some (a lot?) of posturing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
"Proxy war" is a fundamentally racist term used primarily by racists that do things like call Russia a "target" in a war of genocide it started.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DTurtle posted:

The Senate Republicans still have a significant minority of anti-Russia and pro-Israel members. Those members were willing to hold the bill hostage in order to pass border stuff, but unwilling to kill it entirely.

Now we will have to see what it looks like in the House. The problem there is that while there is a majority for the bill (it just needs a very small number of Republicans to pass), the newish Speaker is a hard-Trumper. I personally do expect it to pass after some (a lot?) of posturing.

I think it honestly passes too as long as the Dems can keep their ducks in a row a get like 4 or 5 republicans.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

buglord posted:

I thought bills start in the house and go through the senate? Or can it be any direction?

They can start in either the house or Senate

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the "proxy war" argument tends to amount to a conflation of two ideas. It's certainly true that a clash is occurring by proxy between Russia and NATO, and that situation could reasonably be described in English as a "proxy war". But the term is usually used as a way to describe the initial cause of a war - eg country A was funding country B and used its influence to get them to start a war with country C, resulting in a "proxy war" that was entirely masterminded by another country. That certainly isn't the case for the Russia/Ukraine war - deciding to help a country when its invaded does not somehow retroactively make you the cause of a war. Although I think Russia's hybrid campaign against Ukraine using various separatist groups in the years leading up to the full invasion would qualify.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Things can be described in different terms depending on perspective. The Russian invasion in Ukraine is first and foremost a Ukrainian struggle for survival against an expansionist neighbour. It can also be seen as a proxy conflict because apart from being just Ukraine defending itself, it has from the beginning being a wider matter of the west defending first regional stability and ultimately its own safety by supporting Ukraine against Russian imperialism. Hell, from a narrow point of view (local actors) the war can even be framed as a civil war, although one manufactured from Moscow.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yes, the point of contention is the difference between "Ukraine is a proxy for the US" and "Ukraine is only a proxy for the US." Ukraine doesn't need any external motivation to want to fight an invading army, but doing so also aligns with US interests.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I've never understood the term proxy war to be inherently racist. Imperialist yes, but not necessarily racist.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nervous posted:

I've never understood the term proxy war to be inherently racist. Imperialist yes, but not necessarily racist.

I view it as such since it basically implies that the "proxy" is acting on behalf of the superpower rather than acting on its own behalf (that's what being a proxy means!) and allying with a superpower to help enact that. I am probably extra-sensitive to this because it closely aligns with Russian racism towards Ukrainians, who are viewed as "dumb peasants being tricked by Austro-Hungary/America and who otherwise would be good compliant little Russians".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Calling it a proxy war denies Ukraine's agency, and betrays an imperialist worldview. But doesn't seem inherently racist.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

Yes, the point of contention is the difference between "Ukraine is a proxy for the US" and "Ukraine is only a proxy for the US." Ukraine doesn't need any external motivation to want to fight an invading army, but doing so also aligns with US interests.

It's not like the US was itching to attack Russia before they decided to invade Ukraine.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

SaTaMaS posted:

It's not like the US was itching to attack Russia before they decided to invade Ukraine.

No, but there are likely elements of the US government who are more than happy to have a third party conflict to funnel resources into and sap Russian geopolitical energy/capital on.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Russian independent journalists found one of the suppliers of Starlinks to Russian army

https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1757398277127798927

quote:

"We create an account for Europeans, they are not blocked, we pay with our foreign cards. In "DNR", "LNR" and Crimea it will work 100% as long as there are hostilities, because the opposite side is also using them. What will happen when the war is over is unknown". The fact that Starlink only checks the bank card during registration is also confirmed by Jakub Janowski.
Topmashiny told Radio Liberty that they register accounts for "Russian" Starlink systems in Poland.
Since when using a terminal, payment goes through the seller's bank card, the buyer will not have access to a personal account, says a Radio Liberty interlocutor involved in selling Starlinks.
"There have been many cases, began to poke, "Starlinks" from our cards to order and so on, so we keep the access, on request we put a password for wifi." If the buyer has his own bank card, issued, for example, in Kazakhstan, he can register access for himself (although the personal cabinet will still show a "false" name and surname).

Website directly advertises both use on "Special Military Operation" and for yachts
https://topmachines.ru/starlink1

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nervous posted:

No, but there are likely elements of the US government who are more than happy to have a third party conflict to funnel resources into and sap Russian geopolitical energy/capital on.

That does not make it a proxy war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SaTaMaS posted:

Yeah under Obama the US tried multiple times to "reset" relations because obviously a revanchist Russia lashing out at perceived threats is bad for US interests. But the invasion of Georgia and Ukraine in 2012 and 2014 has both discredited such efforts as incredibly naive and ultimately resulted in the situation we have now. America since the 2000s has basically put every effort into improving relations while Russia keeps spamming the "Send Insult" button.

mawarannahr posted:

What do you mean? It's definitely been referred to as a proxy war, and the Ukrainians have specifically been identified as proxy forces of the U.S. by a few officials who have the weight of experience to speak on the matter. If this is their claim, would you say that being a proxy force implies being a proxy?

Opinion | Why Russian Sanctions Won’t Stop Putin

See also Leon Panetta -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWu7cPPVv0

It seems like there's a fair amount of discussion as to what terms apply, and that the lack of an agreed-on definition may be part of the problem:
An intellectual battle rages: Is the U.S. in a proxy war with Russia?

I'm not sure the relevance here, all this shows is some former US officials or NATO generals also engaging in language that denies Ukrainian agency. This doesn't make its usage in this particular context correct or less degrading.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Again, it depends on context. Treating cold war conflicts as proxy wars is a tool in understanding what happened. The people in Afghanistan had various thoughts about the presence of Soviet troops in their country, for example. But Khyber Pass Stingers are not a thing, the only way for a small, poor nation to fight a superpower occupation is support from the outside. As a Finn I don't see racism in someone looking at Winter War through a proxy lens. France, Britain, Sweden and Italy supported Finland against Soviet Union, and not entirely for unselfish causes. It's natural that when great powers compete for power, smaller nations seek help from one side or the other. That makes them a proxy from the POV of the great power helping them, but they still have their own interest and agency. As seen with Afghanistan some decades later.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

spankmeister posted:

That does not make it a proxy war.

Just doing some quick googling, but it seems like it would. It merely requires it to be a third party conflict of some kind that a nation state decides to involve itself in some way besides direct military action.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/proxy-war

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nervous posted:

Just doing some quick googling, but it seems like it would. It merely requires it to be a third party conflict of some kind that a nation state decides to involve itself in some way besides direct military action.

Maybe don't move your goal posts before doing some "quick googling", because that's not what you said.

Having "elements of the US government happy to have a third party conflict" does not make it a proxy war. I'm sure elements of the US government are happy or sad about all kinds of things all the time. Elements of my lizard brain are happy about all greasy food I just ate but I'm sure elements of my digestive system think otherwise.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Iran's proxy, Russia.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

beer_war posted:

Iran's proxy, Russia.

France's proxy, the 13 Colonies.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nervous posted:

That's a rather overly broad definition that makes virtually every war ever fought in history a proxy war. There's always 3rd parties supplying arms or money.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rust Martialis posted:

Funny way of thinking of it, but really it was!

Another point to make, Russia started off this whole thing with a proxy war in (imo) a straightforward understanding of the term with the war in the Donbas, it just didn't work very well because of the issue with actual proxy wars in that it didn't have much local support and was highly dependent on their superpower benefactors who were the main thing making it happen, so they had to increasingly turn it into a non-proxy war to keep the fire going.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Maybe don't move your goal posts before doing some "quick googling", because that's not what you said.

Having "elements of the US government happy to have a third party conflict" does not make it a proxy war. I'm sure elements of the US government are happy or sad about all kinds of things all the time. Elements of my lizard brain are happy about all greasy food I just ate but I'm sure elements of my digestive system think otherwise.

Fair enough on that and my apologies. I've always approached the term proxy war for myself as one in which a state tries to influence a conflict without getting its soldiers killed directly. It has nothing to do with the conflicting nations autonomy. I would agree that it is a broad definition, it's just there to ascribe direct/indirect participant status to a given geopolitical conflict. And yes, I think most wars throughout history would have proxy elements involved, as states typically don't overlook opportunities to gently caress with other states they don't like without having to pay a price in blood.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Misclick

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rust Martialis posted:

This ain't actually wrong, though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

beer_war posted:

Iran's proxy, Russia.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine is really just a proxy war between South and North Korea, if you think about it. :eng101:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

The Russian invasion of Ukraine is really just a proxy war between South and North Korea, if you think about it. :eng101:

I mean it would be sort of if the South Koreans would get with the program and provide weapons to Ukraine like their neighbor to the north does with Russia.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Jesus Christ, people, stop calling it a proxy war. The only word that should be appended to this war is "genocide". Admittedly, it has lost some impact due to Israels speedrun of the category in Gaza, but Putins goal still is and always has been the erasure of Ukraine, from land through people to language and culture.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Stop getting irate over valid terms.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Kikas posted:

Jesus Christ, people, stop calling it a proxy war. The only word that should be appended to this war is "genocide". Admittedly, it has lost some impact due to Israels speedrun of the category in Gaza, but Putins goal still is and always has been the erasure of Ukraine, from land through people to language and culture.

we can acknowledge that Putin has genocidal intent and that Ukraine has every reason to fight against him while also acknowledging that the US and Europe have a security interest in seeing him fail, and are providing significant lethal assistance to that end. the US at least is very arguably not interested in the simple prevention of genocide, to wit the other conflict you mentioned

if you want to find some other term to describe a situation where a state is not itself engaged in direct military conflict with an adversary state, but is providing military support to a non-ally state that is engaged in military conflict with said adversary, with the express (if not only) purpose of weakening that adversary, go ahead

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Kikas posted:

Proxy and genocide is not mutually exclusive.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

War in Ukraine is most certainly is a proxy war between the United States and Russia. It's a valid term. Just like war of aggression or imperialism is a valid term to label Russia's actions.

For Ukraine itself it is a defensive war. Putin has very openly and unambiguously outlined his objectives to retake and colonize Ukraine again and turn it into a part of Russia forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to be That Guy and quote Wikipedia.

quote:

A proxy war is defined as an armed conflict between two belligerents in which at least one party is a non-state actor, supported by an external power.

Unless we're going to argue that Ukraine is a non-state actor, it's not a proxy war.

Edit: Oxford has a broader definition of

quote:

a war instigated by a major power which does not itself become involved.

This still doesn't apply because the instigator is directly waging the war. I could be persuaded that a proxy war could be fought between two countries, but the word definitely implies to me be that the people actually doing the fighting are doing so at the behest of a more powerful country.

Invading your smaller neighbor because your poll numbers are slumping is a regular war of stupidity.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 14, 2024