Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

free hubcaps posted:

So General Famous changed his name to Marshall??

Yah he invented mousse. That's where the problems came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
george washington sighed as he drew his wakizashi

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Vesi posted:

george washington sighed as he drew his wakizashi

george washington!?!? the la lei lai la lou??

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Xakura posted:

Running a modern military without gps would suck poo poo, but it's not like . . . nobody in the entire us mil haven't thought about what they would do in a gps denied environment.

pretty sure the marines still teach orienteering to all enlisted and officers, but the army doesn't, not 100% on this though

regardless of if it gets taught, they don't practice it. tell an infantry officer to arrive at a place at a time using only a map compass and a watch and prepare to be disappointed

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cactus Ghost posted:

pretty sure the marines still teach orienteering to all enlisted and officers, but the army doesn't, not 100% on this though

regardless of if it gets taught, they don't practice it. tell an infantry officer to arrive at a place at a time using only a map compass and a watch and prepare to be disappointed

It appears the Army still requires land nav courses for officers, but not all enlisted.
I lived in an army town and recall people saying that most candidates either aced it on the first try or needed to retake it several times before passing, with very few people in-between.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cactus Ghost posted:

orienteering is a literal game. land navigation is what militaries do. where are you getting this nonsense?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

I should have asked a long time ago, is orientering taught in school gym class in the US, like in europe? Every third grader and up over here gets orientering skills, mostly under protest

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 14, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I should have asked a long time ago, is orientering taught in school gym class in the US, like in europe? Every third grader and up over here gets orientering skills, mostly under protest

School curricula are local so no way to answer definitively. Going to guess it's rare though. I'd guess most people who learn it do so in Boy Scouts or equivalent.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I’d have figured the easiest way for a lieutenant to navigate would be to say something along the lines of “Sergeant, have the men move to (such snd such) location” and then follow him.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i have no idea where the heck a school would teach orienteering. maybe like some out of the way area in idaho or w/e where half of the surrounding land is BLM forests

boy scouts we "learned" it to the extent needed to pass whatever half-assed exam was being used for a merit badge before returning to the usual activities of lighting sticks on fire and doing swordfights with them

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

canyoneer posted:

It appears the Army still requires land nav courses for officers, but not all enlisted.
I lived in an army town and recall people saying that most candidates either aced it on the first try or needed to retake it several times before passing, with very few people in-between.

Everyone in the Army does land nav, both new officers and new enlisted soldiers.

And if you're in a combat brigade, it's a skill you're using all the time, especially as an an NCO or officer.

As a scout platoon leader I relied on a physical map way more than I ever relied on a GPS, though I usually used both at the same time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No, we learned how to navigate a map in social studies class, but it was in class, not outdoors.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Cactus Ghost posted:

Who, a marine infantry officer? Their Army counterparts are doing this nearly every time they go to the field.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Probably the most difficult things we did in FDF training were night time foot recon missions. No GPS, just maps and compass. Of course need to stay in concealment so no lights except to read the map under a tarp or someting. And only night vision gear we had were like two lovely scopes. Funny how it gets quite a bit more difficult to determine your location when you cannot see any landmarks because of the darkness.

Of course getting the lovely ancient comms systems to work while on mission in the freezing dark was always fun.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

Probably the most difficult things we did in FDF training were night time foot recon missions. No GPS, just maps and compass. Of course need to stay in concealment so no lights except to read the map under a tarp or someting. And only night vision gear we had were like two lovely scopes. Funny how it gets quite a bit more difficult to determine your location when you cannot see any landmarks because of the darkness.

Of course getting the lovely ancient comms systems to work while on mission in the freezing dark was always fun.

I'm real tempted to do a Yorkshireman but honestly, same. Nothing quite hones the skill like loving it up and having to stop loving up, because the only way this ends is when you stop being a fuckup.
But forever gently caress having to navigate through featureless roadless forest on a moonless night. Anywhere else you'd at least feel confident on which way is up

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is that...Horatius Cocles at the top of the Roman one?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Historians are still debating why Christopher Columbus, upon first sighting land, shouted “GORDON’S ALIVE!”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Have this one instead.

George Washington (with bow and arrow) pictured alongside the Goddess of America from the Osanaetoki Bankokubanashi, an 1861illustrated Japanese history of the United States.

what do the leaf skirt and twig represent

(I'm not gonna ask about Geordi's bell skirt)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

xpost

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

echopapa posted:

Historians are still debating why Christopher Columbus, upon first sighting land, shouted “GORDON’S ALIVE!”

Not even the only Brian Blessed character on those covers.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not even the only Brian Blessed character on those covers.

When you have the opportunity to draw a Brian Blessed, why stop at only one?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

China's still really goddamn mad about messi lol, they canceled two friendlies w/ the argentine national team

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Did they resume fishing claims in their territorial waters

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
cynically it is probably in Taiwan's larger interest to lose de facto control of Kinmen and Matsu over a few years through PLAN/CCG grey zone tactics interdicting Taipei's ability to maintain effective government of the islands and resupply the low thousands of military personnel remaining stationed there: it would considerably improve the clarity of defensive commitments toward Taiwan island proper

that is, now that the Fujian province CCG seems to be asserting a right to enforce mainland law in the waters around Kinmen, Taiwan should probably protest loudly but not actually physically contest it much, and indeed quietly look into further drawing down its presence and inviting a fait accompli. Kinmen is not Taiwan's Ayungin reef but rather Mischief reef, so to speak: the territory that must be lost so that domestic entities cannot claim that China can be satiated (China no longer pretends that its presence in Mischief reef is purely civilian, as it once did)

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

:madmax:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
seeing these headlines on korean doctors protesting reminds me of this hour long vid on why korean men and women are at odds with each other.

it's gatcha games, it's always gatcha games

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So what's it all about?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Xerxes17 posted:

So what's it all about?

the one thing i've definitely seen in reporting is that they're going to boost the number of residency positions medical school students to increase the number of doctors. the interpretation by some rando i read was that the protest was because with more doctors it's less prestigious to be a doctor. i'm guessing the protestors might have other reasons or at least put a better spin on it

e: better info

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 3, 2024

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
It's all about a little hand gesture implying small peepee

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Update on my idiot brother and his second vacation to China!

After 3 weeks of radio silence, they are back and really happy.
Turns out he went with the family saying of "no news is good news" and just stopped worrying about his phone plus left his laptop back in Denmark to ensure that he actually took a, you know, vacation with his family.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao why is China hosing down boats from Philippines?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
PagPag deterrent

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tai posted:

lmao why is China hosing down boats from Philippines?

Because the Philippines dares to have a coastline on the South China Sea

E: I mean come one, china's right in the name!

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 6, 2024

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thought there might be more too it outside of claiming poo poo 1500 miles away from your coastline again.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure that incident was specifically the Philippines trying to resupply the old rusty hulk they use as a base in the Spratly Islands, China always throws a poo poo fit about it and engages in all sorts of dangerous maneuvers and harassment towards the Filipino ships.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Country garden pulling an evergrand

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they were always gonna be the second big one (innumerable tiny ones having already been whacked)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lmao at the photo header of this scmp article https://www.scmp.com/business/china...itors-amid-debt

AI prompt: "elegant paris townhouse vertical stretch 30 stories tall soviet brutalist apartments"

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Going to be interesting to see what non Hong Kong will do about international debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

lmao at the photo header of this scmp article https://www.scmp.com/business/china...itors-amid-debt

AI prompt: "elegant paris townhouse vertical stretch 30 stories tall soviet brutalist apartments"

Is it bad that I kind of like this attempt at least that they are trying for *some* kind of exterior aesthetics? All the hideous condo towers I see built here look the same and are all just blank or slightly geometric facades.