Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
More movies with relatively mundane explanations that piss me off, including a current release.

Brotherhood of the Wolf - the monster is just a lion
The Visit - it's two escaped mental patients who killed the kids' grandparents

Current release:
Out of Darkness - It's two neanderthals, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Visit - it's two escaped mental patients who killed the kids' grandparents

This movie rules

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I'm gonna admit the reveal line is pretty loving sublime and it's an angle I absolutely did not expect for some reason, but the twist still ultimately left me unfulfilled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like Brotherhood of the Wolf because it's basically Hound of the Baskervilles.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Baron von Eevl posted:

I kinda hate when a movie teases that there might be a supernatural or weird element to it and then comes in with a relatively grounded answer. I can't really list examples here without it being spoilers but I'm at the point where if I think it might happen and I'm at all on the fence about seeing a movie I'll look up the ending.

I'm the exact opposite, oddly enough.

Conjuring 2 teased "oh, the kids are making it all up!" and I really wish they had stuck to that. I know the Warrens are con artists and any movie they sign off on won't end with "people just made up the ghost stuff!" but I really wish it'd happen.

The Last Exorcism was the biggest example of this for me. I loved that movie and absolutely hated the ending for reverting back to "oh no, it was a demon after all!!!!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want ghosts and monsters and crypids in every movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Conjuring 2 is mid but having the ghost be a literal ghost but also an unwilling puppet to a demon whose soul is basically being worn as a mask by said demon to scare people for some esoteric demon reasons. is great

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Conjuring 3 barely won me over when it went full on silly. Just trying to imagine those stupid con artists trying to recount that ending like it actual happened lol

Probably was the filmmakers having fun but still

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I love The Conjuring 2, I can't help it. The last scene with the romantic slow dance to Elvis got me, okay?? :qq:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

More movies with relatively mundane explanations that piss me off, including a current release.

Brotherhood of the Wolf - the monster is just a lion

this whole movie is so incredibly wacky that it's hard for me to understand anyone finding any part of it "mundane."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I enjoyed the Conjuring franchise for what it was - a series of completely made up stories that never happened but made for (mostly) fun spooky movies. Top to bottom, here's my ranking:

La Llorana - never saw it, heard it was terrible
Nun 2 - also never saw it, heard it was terrible
Annabelle - maybe the most generic horror movie ever. not terrible but not memorable at all
The Nun - super generic except for the 10 minutes it turns into an Italian horror movie from the 80s
Conjuring 3 - one of the first movies I saw after 2020, it's fine but a major drop from the first two conjurings
Annabelle Comes Home - Pretty fun, I wish they did more crazy ghost stuff but I enjoyed this one as kind of a "slightly more mature Goosebumps"
Conjuring - A legit good movie and super influential for a reason
Annabelle: Creation - I really enjoyed this one, it's much smarter than you'd think and it has some pretty strong characters and fun scares
Conjuring 2 - I have my complaints about the ending but this is a really fun haunted house movie with a lot of good scares, fun characters, and pretty loving incredible set design

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nun 2 is pretty fun, it would make a really good double feature with Pope’s Exorcist.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I watched The Nun for October challenge and hated it. So dark (literally) and generic. Love the first two Conjurings tho. I kno they are only tangentially related but always been more of an Insidious guy. When’s the Insidious vs. Conjuring movie?! Throw in that goofy fucker from Sinister too!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Nun 2 is loving terrible but hilarious to me. They make her a JRPG boss and defeat her with a communion wine tidal wave. Utter nonsense :allears:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, "it's not ACTUALLY a spookum" is my least favorite thing in the world. Mostly because it happens way more often than "OH poo poo SPOOKUMS ARE REAL" any time the story wants to play it ambiguously.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

Yeah, "it's not ACTUALLY a spookum" is my least favorite thing in the world. Mostly because it happens way more often than "OH poo poo SPOOKUMS ARE REAL" any time the story wants to play it ambiguously.

Are there many/ any films that have it both ways? Like you think you're watching a demon film set on a boat (are there any of these, seems like a solid idea tbh) but then it's like, psyche, just a killer shark.

But then the film's like, double psyche, and the mermaids attack.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Last Exorcism basically does that.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are there many/ any films that have it both ways? Like you think you're watching a demon film set on a boat (are there any of these, seems like a solid idea tbh) but then it's like, psyche, just a killer shark.

This is sort of the trajectory if you watch both of The Boy films.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

I feel like Lake Mungo goes for this a bit

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This is like a 40ish year old family movie but as I recall, in The Quest (aka Frog Dreaming) the lake monster turns out to be a steam shovel

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It might be cheating since it's an anthology but Trick r' Treat kinda does this with the werewolf reveal?

You think it's a vampire, it's really a serial killer, omg werewolves!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Basebf555 posted:

Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg is often described as a Scooby Doo movie.

I guess that's a spoiler but oh well, the movie is 60 years old.

It's only a small spoiler, the movie reveals that it's a Scooby Doo scheme and who's involved within the first 20 minutes or so. It's pretty good!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Night Creatures gets even better when you watch it in black and white. It was fun how many of us ended up watching it for last October's challenge.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Night Creatures gets even better when you watch it in black and white. It was fun how many of us ended up watching it for last October's challenge.

Clegg Heads unite!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Those Skeletons on horses costumes are loving baller. I love that poo poo.

I should try and get ahold of the Hammer Pirate films. They made a few if I recall.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O hey, that Sasquatch Sunset movie has a trailer out. It doesn’t look any more horror than it sounded, but I know this to be a generally Pro Squatch space.

https://youtu.be/KgfkthLpeXw?si=YGZlHV9tWGVL0zHJ

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
samsquanch*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sachmo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
33 years ago today.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
the vhs box with moth mouth that my brother wouldn't let 7yo me watch

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I remember after I saw Silence of the Lambs I was really excited to find out that there was actually a prequel. So me and a buddy drove down to the mall to buy a VHS copy of Manhunter from Suncoast Video.

Those were the days, we made like a whole afternoon out of doing that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My local VHS rental place had a giant carboard cutout of the Child's Play 2 poster that they stuck at the end of the horror movie aisle. The combination of that, the Jack Frost hologram cover, and the VHS for Pinocchio's Revenge (mostly for the title, for some reason it really freaked me out) meant that I never ventured down that aisleway. It sucked because the SNES and N64 games were right next to there, so I always felt like Chucky was going to chop my head off while I was renting Megaman X for the 50th time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day, Horror Thread!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I just got this.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sleepaway Camp 2 had a VHS cover that really captured little me's imagination. Imagine my disappointment when I finally saw it as an adult.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

TheKingslayer posted:

Sleepaway Camp 2 had a VHS cover that really captured little me's imagination. Imagine my disappointment when I finally saw it as an adult.

Is that the one with a knife going through the heel of a shoe? And the backside is a letter of a camper to their parents talking about how scary it is and they need to get out of the camp and wait I hear something behind me...*blood droplets*

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

You watched a movie that kicked rear end?!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is that the one with a knife going through the heel of a shoe? And the backside is a letter of a camper to their parents talking about how scary it is and they need to get out of the camp and wait I hear something behind me...*blood droplets*

That's the first one, which is a banger.

This one is like, "Whoa! A babe with the Jason mask and Freddy claw, I bet this poo poo gets buck wild!"

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You watched a movie that kicked rear end?!

Don't get me wrong, it's fine! But it does not live up to what the mind of a ten year old conjured up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

to be fair, she does actually break out both of those in the movie itself