Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

It's important to have no personal experience with the thing for best results

I have nostalgia for thing so it can't meet my expectations. No matter how bad thing is I will like/defend it because it reminds me of the good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

kazil posted:

predictably

ya’ll keeping some great company in this thread

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

TrashMammal posted:

It’s pointless to judge a product by the dumbest people who like it. Is The Boys a bad show because people don’t get it ?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Golden Bee posted:

It’s pointless to judge a product by the dumbest people who like it. Is The Boys a bad show because people don’t get it ?

:smuggo:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the right question to ask isn't "will this sway public opinion/the election in any meaningful way?", I think the only question that matters is "does this offer me entertainment, catharsis, laughs, etc in exchange for watching advertisements?" That's all the show was ever for; it's not a public service.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TrashMammal posted:

lol Elon is a pathetic dullard desperate for relevance. He’ll glom onto anything and anyone who’s popular at the moment in order to try and siphon off some residual attention, right up until they offend him or make it clear they want nothing to do with him.

See also: Trump, Taylor Swift, MrBeast

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

eSports Chaebol posted:

I hate it and I hope he is miserable :twisted:

I'm ambivalent about it and have no opinion either way :geno:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

20 Blunts posted:

daily show last night - just fine
daily show back in the day - just fine
you guys - loving losers

Hahaha dumb bitch turn your monitor on.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

eSports Chaebol posted:

every late night host besides jimmy fallon? also theres plenty of content on youtube/instagram/tiktok and then also theres 73490573905734534 podcasts. you can argue that jon stewart was groundbreaking in a lot of ways (or maybe it was just inevitable that the media landscape would change) but that also means you cant go back. hey lets write music like Chuck Berry did and hope its not too edgy for the radio!

Yeah but Jon Stewart is talented.

I didnt mind the first ep focusing on the candidates ages. It’s the first thing any normal person would talk about with another normal person (not online) and he did it by balancing respect and anguish perfectly.

Also a great call only doing it once a week cause there’s just too much to complain about. Also he too is old as hell :D

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
It is fun to watch Jon Stewart on the Daily Show

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hazo posted:

lol Elon is a pathetic dullard desperate for relevance. He’ll glom onto anything and anyone who’s popular at the moment in order to try and siphon off some residual attention, right up until they offend him or make it clear they want nothing to do with him.

See also: Trump, Taylor Swift, MrBeast

Also Elon probably (correctly) thinks Jon is gonna make fun of him and wants to keep an eye on his tweetfeed for that exact reason.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Yeah but Jon Stewart is talented.

I didnt mind the first ep focusing on the candidates ages. It’s the first thing any normal person would talk about with another normal person (not online) and he did it by balancing respect and anguish perfectly.

Also a great call only doing it once a week cause there’s just too much to complain about. Also he too is old as hell :D

:decorum:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I. M. Gei posted:

Also Elon probably (correctly) thinks Jon is gonna make fun of him and wants to keep an eye on his tweetfeed for that exact reason.

It’s this

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

It is fun to watch Jon Stewart on the Daily Show

I have fun watching Jon Stewart on the Daily Show

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
I had good times watching Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Is it fun to watch Jon Stewart on the Daily Show?

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
we just dont know

021324_2
Feb 14, 2024
communist tirades every single night

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

eSports Chaebol posted:

i loved the daily show back in the day. ive changed and times have changed and a lot of the reason ive changed is because times have changed and its not just me

bringing back the Jon Stewart Daily Show is like bringing back posting like bigpeeler or whatever. we grew up it doesnt work anymore

Seemed you missed his recent episode feat. Prison Harvey and cousin Todd.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

When are they going to do another Rally To Restore Sanity?

He just jerked off toby Keith!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Why did people think he was a goon so much back in the day. And you have to suppose, do those arguments still hold today

i think he said "comedy gold" on the show

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Comedy gold, famous catchphrase that has never been said by anyone else ever.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

TrashMammal posted:

Fuckin lmao man what a masterstroke!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

sugar free jazz posted:

jon if ur reading this (he might b a goon?) whats ur workout and diet plan

I think he quit smoking and went vegan sometime in the 2010s.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
My mom liked it so it must be good

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Jon Stewart has a farm near where I live that's a sanctuary for abused animals, I never really watched the daily show but he's pretty cool to me for that.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I liked it and I’m sad that he doesn’t do the whole week.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

I liked it and I’m sad that he doesn’t do the whole week.

Problem is that between leaving the daily show and rejoining, politicians now harness having people do outrage/comedy about them to get on all channels. They're desperately vying to be "made fun of" as it gives them 10x the exposure they'd normally get and their opponents are never mentioned. And people at the end of the day veer towards voting for the most familiar person. They've gamed the system by deliberately dropping trou and doing rodeo clown acts. It'd be tiring to watch Stewart feign suprise or even mention them.

Keep him to election stuff and weekly where he wont get pulled into the 24 hour thing they milk now.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Sure he's owning it but god drat does he look old (that side by side was painful). I thought veganism was s'posed to make you look healthier too.
Very glad he's back, I like his echo chamber and what he helped do for veterans and 911 first responders amongst others.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

wit posted:

Problem is that between leaving the daily show and rejoining, politicians now harness having people do outrage/comedy about them to get on all channels. They're desperately vying to be "made fun of" as it gives them 10x the exposure they'd normally get and their opponents are never mentioned. And people at the end of the day veer towards voting for the most familiar person. They've gamed the system by deliberately dropping trou and doing rodeo clown acts. It'd be tiring to watch Stewart feign suprise or even mention them.

Keep him to election stuff and weekly where he wont get pulled into the 24 hour thing they milk now.

I’m just here to go ha ha at ‘murrican politics, if that’s okay.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Who'd guessed back in the day that the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, would return as comfort watching in the 2020s for people in their forties.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

We’re in Lobotomy to Reduce Aggression territory now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BastardAus posted:

Sure he's owning it but god drat does he look old (that side by side was painful). I thought veganism was s'posed to make you look healthier too.

Turn off your monitor and place a picture of you from 10 years ago next to it for a fun surprise

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Turn off your monitor and place a picture of you from 10 years ago next to it for a fun surprise

watch out everbody. this is a trick to try to make you stop posteing

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

klepper hosting sucked

I’ll just be watching on mondays

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I've always been perplexed by the absolutely most unhinged goons who seething rage against J-stew, Colbert, etc. Just wild stuff. It's almost as entertaining as the shows themselves.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i hope he rehires the original cast of correspondents. none of them except oliver are doing anything now anyway.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Goons aiming their seething rage largely at other goons is one of our most honored traditions, so it should at least come as no surprise

naem
May 29, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I dont care put Craig Ferguson back on tv

Craig is the rizzler

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
i watched the segment, it was ok, but not something i will seek out again

i am seeing a lot of people very angry that he dared to call biden old and befuddled, though, which is very very funny so the show is already a smashing success by my reckoning

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The Daily Show's wheelhouse, especially during the Jon Stewart years, has always been mocking cable news for their dogshit coverage.

In the Bush years, them falling hook line and sinker for the neo-cons' bullshit was the low-hanging fruit. I think a lot of people sort of missed that the butt of the jokes was more often than not CNN and Fox News failing to call out the painfully obvious lies for what they are.

"Blue no matter who" is the modern equivalently obvious target.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

:lmao: at the belief that sick burns are praxis