Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone ever tried an evil Shadowheart origin campaign? Bad Girl Summer with Lae'zel, Minthy, and Astarion sounds like a fun alternative to Durge.

I started one with the intention of doing so but I honestly didn't find her doing bad stuff believable. I did sketch out a plan of doing one with the RP reason being that she failed to save Arabella and rescued sazza with things escalating from there. I still don't find her or Lae'zel as credible group leaders at all though with them starting with 8 charisma.

Dragonwagon posted:

Alternatively, betray Shar at the very end and bring Gale instead of Astarion for a gently caress My Bitch Ex-God, I Do What I Want run.
Lmao this was the exact alternative I had cooked up.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it's ok, the tadpole is the charisma carry inside the group

a low charisma leader just means the rest of your life is pain

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's ok, the tadpole is the charisma carry inside the group

a low charisma leader just means the rest of your life is pain

My Druid has low charisma but who cares because every animal she talks to loves her and isn't that the most important thing

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Talkable corpses glow green as long as you've got speak with dead up.

I'm only going to have speak with dead up when I've used it lately. I'd much prefer for an icon to appear over a speakable corpse if I've got access to speak with dead at all (IE: If I have an item equipped that lets me cast the spell, if I own a scroll of it, or if I have a party member who has access to the spell)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't it only that they glow if they have something "important" to say that's plot relevant? I'm pretty sure I've talked to the dead before and they weren't glowing green.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

So, I may have over-prepared for my Ethel encounter on my tactician run. I one turn blasted her in the teahouse. It’s neat to interact with all the NPCs in her lair. The one petrified dwarf was cured of whatever ailment he had and was super thankful to not be rock any longer. Might reload to eat hair though.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Medullah posted:

Isn't it only that they glow if they have something "important" to say that's plot relevant? I'm pretty sure I've talked to the dead before and they weren't glowing green.

You need to have cast it at least once since a long rest. From that point on talkable corpses glow green until you rest again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

You need to have cast it at least once since a long rest. From that point on talkable corpses glow green until you rest again.

Yeah I get that but I am 99% sure I've talked to corpses that weren't glowing green, they just provided flavor and not any "important" information.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Medullah posted:

Yeah I get that but I am 99% sure I've talked to corpses that weren't glowing green, they just provided flavor and not any "important" information.

if you cast it on a non-green one all they do is levitate and the narrator says 'it has nothing to say to you' and punts you from dialog

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Medullah posted:

Non lethal seems buggy as hell to me. I freed Sazza in the beginning to get the trust of the goblins, and was amicable with them all until it came time to kill the leaders and save the Grove. Sazza was in the room and I didn't want to kill her so I bonked her out.

Unfortunately, the mission saying "Talk to Sazza and she'll introduce you to the Goblin leader" stayed stuck at that point, despite the leaders being dead. I ended up going back into the Goblin fortress before Act 2 and she was still there, and acted as a vendor...but had no items and no gold, and wouldn't not talk to me otherwise. I finally just killed her and the mission completed.

That's less a glitch with non-lethal damage and more a case of the quest log not accounting for all possible player actions. If you KO Sazza there and move on to the Mountain Pass, the quest log will progress and she'll show up later at Moonrise.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

That's less a glitch with non-lethal damage and more a case of the quest log not accounting for all possible player actions. If you KO Sazza there and move on to the Mountain Pass, the quest log will progress and she'll show up later at Moonrise.

the quest log definitely doesn't account for you having thrown sazza into the chasm as i'm in act 3 and it still wants me to talk to her to get intro'd to minthara

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Sloober posted:

if you cast it on a non-green one all they do is levitate and the narrator says 'it has nothing to say to you' and punts you from dialog

It does get your speak for the dead rolling so that the talkative corpses glow green. If you do a little casual necromancy and have a stash of corpses it is a good camp casting practice to talk to the corpse you are about to explode to make a skeleton.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Glad the non-lethal thing isn't just me. I figured all those petrified drow were, at least, not there by choice but it turns out I killed them all anyway. Is it the kind of weapon you use, maybe? Although that just leads to stuff like calling out how in the old days clerics didn't get to use bladed weapons but crushing skulls with a warhammer was fine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spells and ranged weapons will not knock out an enemy. Unarmed and melee attacks only.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Max Wilco posted:

I was moreso just wondering which were the recommended feats. Monathin did a write up on the feats in the previous thread, but that was from October, so I didn't know if any of the patches since then buffed/nerfed any of the feats.

I took Alert on my PC, but I think that's it. Gale, Wyll, and Shadowheart have Durable, Lae'zel has Tavern Brawler, Astarion has Sharpshooter, and Karlach has Savage Attacker. I don't think I've actually had Halsin join the party yet, so he might be due for some.

I thought Tough would be a good pick for the whole party, since it seems like in some encounters, I have someone end up at half-health by the end of the first round, but then I wonder if it's better to diversify feats among the party. The problem is just trying to pick what feat would be best. Truth be told, a lot of them seem kind of useless, either because the bonus is insignificant, or is covered by another party member and/or by switching classes. With the ASI feats, it's more of just figuring out whether you up a character's primary ability, or put the points towards another ability. Like, do you up Shadowheart's WIS so you can maximize the strength of her divine spells, or do you put it towards STR, so she can do some more melee damage? That's where I get caught up.

I forgot, but I can't recall if I tweaked anyone's ability scores or not. I probably need to sit down and make note of everyone's stats.

Understood, and I wasn't saying that alert is necessary or anything, just that it's a huge advantage to be able to go first in (almost) every combat. When I replay the game, I certainly won't take it on all characters and maybe not any. It's just too powerful.

I know lots of people have already said it, but just pick feats that you think will be interesting and you'll be fine. There are some feats that don't do much, and I guess a couple are broken, but it won't really matter because you will almost always have equipment, consumables and/or class-skills that will make up for choosing an under-performing feat.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

exquisite tea posted:

Spells and ranged weapons will not knock out an enemy. Unarmed and melee attacks only.

also physical damage only, so if your unarmed/melee attacks have magic bonus damage, try and make them not have that

I think it only kills them instead of knocking them out if the last HP is nonphysical damage, but better safe than sorry

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Your monk whose punches do radiant and necrotic and force and psychic in addition to physical damage is not a good choice for gently tapping somebody to sleep.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

"... and down came the pants, and that was that."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Your monk whose punches do radiant and necrotic and force and psychic in addition to physical damage is not a good choice for gently tapping somebody to sleep.

Do you think they would also deal that elemental damage if like they high-fived someone?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Picturing an actual tabletop campaign "All I did was pat him on the back why did he explode?????"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The road to Baldur's Gate is littered with the corpses of adventurers who took a critical hit from a tavern brawler's healing potion.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I am so sick of these absolute Absolute bastards

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

ABSOLUT Faerûn

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1757773594229191141?s=46
Fits the vibe of Astarion perfectly.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Admiral Bosch posted:

My multiplayer group has encountered a strange issue. We're being pretty evil, but Shadowheart should stick around, right? We slaughtered the grove and death star lasered the creche and now she's no longer in camp. I don't think it should matter too much, but is there a check you need her for through Act 2?

Just updating this in case anyone else has come across a similar problem - my friend who holds the save file was checking around yesterday. Shart is not hanging out at the grove, nor is she anywhere on the beach, nor do we have any sort of quest log for her. It's like she has been erased from the game. So uh, lol. Hopefully that doesn't prevent us from progressing at all.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Are you in too deep for them to just replay up to where you were? I’ve had to fix a few dialogue triggers this way.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Are you in too deep for them to just replay up to where you were? I’ve had to fix a few dialogue triggers this way.

We're taking our next session off since a couple of us will be out of town, so at some point between now and the next time we're all together he's going to backtrack our save games to make sure she actually was in our camp before. I guess it depends how far back it is - I was planning on just writing her off anyway since we're not exactly paying attention to the companion characters.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Companion characters get stuff and having her in your camp is useful when you get in the higher levels so you can have some of her buffs. There is a point in the game where if you don't bring her she leaves automatically so if you are a 4 man group and don't have the mod Party Limit Begone and or Sit This One Out. It will come up.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Hmm, alright. I'll raise that point with my group. We are presently just finished up at the mage's tower in the Underdark, for reference.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Evil durge playthrough at the druids grove Killing Rolan was very satisfying. Wanted to post coitus kill Minthara since I'm an evil murder god but I'm running low on companions after biting Gale's hand off and Karlach and Wyll leaving, so I spared her.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1757774281042280808

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Minthy is the ideal character to keep around for an evil run because she encourages you to be more evil instead of everyone else who grows increasingly nervous whenever you're around.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

bird with big dick posted:

Evil durge playthrough at the druids grove Killing Rolan was very satisfying. Wanted to post coitus kill Minthara since I'm an evil murder god but I'm running low on companions after biting Gale's hand off and Karlach and Wyll leaving, so I spared her.

I have a huge soft spot for Rolan and I can’t imagine killing him would ever be satisfying. He’s just as much a refugee as any of the other tieflings but with the added bonus of being stronger than a lot of them, which also makes him more responsible. Even worse, he’s not THAT strong ultimately and you especially see that with his frustration in act 2. I never really fault him for his abrasive attitude, especially once I played through his entire storyline.

TLDR be nice to Rolan, but I recognize that’s impossible if you go against the grove

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Gatto Grigio posted:

Don’t get why non-lethal damage toggle is even an option when my party members and NPCs give me poo poo for killing people when I clearly made the effort to let them live (ex. Minsc, who I knocked out because Jaheira got killed at Moonrise and he couldn’t stop his bloodrage even with Calm Emotion)

Karlach: “We just killed Minsc! How could we?!?l

Me: (no we loving didn’t. I left him alive, you were there!)

I've got the reverse issue lol, Karlach personally killed Minsc at the Temple of Bhaal and every other dialogue with her is how cool Minsc is and what a hero he is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Rolan has one of the best side character arcs in the game and I feel kinda bad on my first playthrough because because he died in the Lorrokan fight. I guess it was thematic or whatever but still kind of a bummer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Saraiguma posted:

did you abuse quitting or backing up saves? the game will blacklist your uuid if it catches you doing that

Oh that must have been it I guess, I ctrl-alt-del'd to avoid a wipe due to elevator bullshit. Game never gave me any indication I was no longer in honor mode though, which is kind of a dick move on their part.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Thundarr posted:

Multiclass them with Paladin for a nerve wracking Lay on Hands experience

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh that must have been it I guess, I ctrl-alt-del'd to avoid a wipe due to elevator bullshit. Game never gave me any indication I was no longer in honor mode though, which is kind of a dick move on their part.

There's always the steam achievement manager, though that won't get you the special dice, obv

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

There's always the steam achievement manager, though that won't get you the special dice, obv

I was doing it more for the fancy dice anyway lol. Oh well, at least I've done it once and I know it's not really that hard. I'll probably give it a go again after a few more patches, but I've got nearly 700 hours in (only like 70 EA) so I think it's time for a break. I'm overdue to check in with my man Kiryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I was doing it more for the fancy dice anyway lol. Oh well, at least I've done it once and I know it's not really that hard. I'll probably give it a go again after a few more patches, but I've got nearly 700 hours in (only like 70 EA) so I think it's time for a break. I'm overdue to check in with my man Kiryu

When I get home today I can just give you my last save file (or anyone else who wants the golden dice, for that manner). I think all you'd have to do is just finish the party then you'd get the achievement.