Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Xaris posted:

to no one's surprise, repaving roads just increases speeds. the ideal case is continued decline of the material base and roads just deteriorating to such a large degree that average speeds decrease
https://twitter.com/BerkSafeStreets/status/1737951952712175877
https://twitter.com/BerkSafeStreets/status/1737951955321032788

they go faster because they have more grip so theyll stop and turn battery but the people who'll crash will still haul rear end on bad roads

the way u make people drive safe is unironically make it scary w/ narrow lanes and close barriers
it doesn't have to be dangerous but if people don't take it seriously it's a serious thing they'll kill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Sometimes I fold their mirrors in.
Bless yer forgiving soul.

FirstnameLastname posted:

the way u make people drive safe is unironically make it scary w/ narrow lanes and close barriers
it doesn't have to be dangerous but if people don't take it seriously it's a serious thing they'll kill people
https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1678375462823665664

It's literally the only thing that works to slow drivers down.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 13:17 on Feb 14, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I still see trucks fly down washed-out dirt roads. They're always hitting people's dogs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

evil_bunnY posted:

So just one of these every block, then?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Bless yer forgiving soul.

The white van at the end doesn’t give a poo poo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

withak posted:

Imagine if Biden tried to tax oversized novelty trucks $290/month.

There would be literal shooting lol

Last year when the gas price crisis was in full media blitz the local news had a guy on in an $80K truck crying that he couldn't afford chips for his kid with gas costing $3.87 a gallon. I took that as an implicit admission that he chose feeding his truck over feeding his kid

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tiggum posted:

When would it ever be safer to go faster than the speed limit? How would that work?

Of course it's universally safer to go slower, with some exceptions like being significantly than the flow of traffic on a freeway. But people don't drive everywhere at 10mph because they actually want to get places, so in general a good driver tries to maintain a speed that's safe for the road, conditions, and surroundings. All I'm saying is that the legal limits are only loosely related to the technically safe speed and shouldn't be treated as gospel just because someone painted a number onto a piece of metal. Those limits are often unreasonably high, but can also be unreasonably low. Other than the risk of a traffic citation it's better to use your best judgment to stay safe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Of course it's universally safer to go slower, with some exceptions like being significantly than the flow of traffic on a freeway. But people don't drive everywhere at 10mph because they actually want to get places, so in general a good driver tries to maintain a speed that's safe for the road, conditions, and surroundings.
If you need to exceed the speed limit to overtake someone then they are not going slow enough to significantly delay you.

Apr 7, 2003

Hyundai is running an ad here on TV about how you can drive their cars real fast and "leave other commuters where they belong - in your rear view mirror."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

eSports Chaebol posted:

some of those who hang truck nuts
are the same who eat doughnuts

lol

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tiggum posted:

If you need to exceed the speed limit to overtake someone then they are not going slow enough to significantly delay you.

....who's talking about overtaking?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
there isn’t a single “unreasonably low” speed limit on this planet

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I support speed limits made for high skill drivers. But only if that means we only allow high skill drivers on the roads. I propose driving tests every year which really test your skills.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's wild how a big box truck sitting in semi-moving traffic just gets everyone's hackles up. people desperately do not want to be behind the box truck because were it not for the box truck surely everything would be smooth sailing.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

BonHair posted:

I support speed limits made for high skill drivers. But only if that means we only allow high skill drivers on the roads. I propose driving tests every year which really test your skills.

you have to be able to get the gran turismo class A license

Apr 7, 2003

I always drive at exactly the speed limit, solely because it enrages other drivers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The speed limit is the law and we are a nation of law and order. If you speed by even 1mph for 1 second you should be glued to the pavement and beaten with nailbats

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's wild how a big box truck sitting in semi-moving traffic just gets everyone's hackles up. people desperately do not want to be behind the box truck because were it not for the box truck surely everything would be smooth sailing.

They’re annoying to be behind because you can’t see why traffic in front of you is moving so slow so you just blame the truck

Speed limit chat: when I was a kid I’d see those “speed limits enforced by aircraft signs” and for whatever reason I came to the conclusion they had helicopters come and land in front of you to ticket you

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Feb 14, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

The speed limit is the law and we are a nation of law and order. If you speed by even 1mph for 1 second you should be glued to the pavement and beaten with nailbats

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but are you calling the USA a nation of law and order? Are we also calling North Korea a democracy?

Confession: I have never driven a car below the speed limit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The white van at the end doesn’t give a poo poo
The van can't think, silly.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

this but unironically

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

If you speed by even 1mph for 1 second you should be glued to the pavement and beaten with nailbats

unironically yes

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BonHair posted:

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but are you calling the USA a nation of law and order? Are we also calling North Korea a democracy?

north korea is a democracy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BonHair posted:

Confession: I have never driven a car below the speed limit.

Correct. Even in the most slandering stories a citizen of NK has exactly as much input into who becomes leader and who represents them in government as I do and the US is considered to be a democracy. Thus it follows that they too are one.

Your steering wheel should turn into snakes next time you speed, and your seat a bear that squeezes the air out of your lungs before you can fulfill your reckless driving destiny of crushing a grade schooler

Apr 7, 2003

One thing not present in this article: Any mention of charges against the two drivers who killed this guy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Feb 14, 2024

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Monthly exams to keep your driver's license and insurance makes a lot of sense. I would like to see some competency before someone is allowed out on the road.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

Everyone in this thread loves traffic cops and fining people with increased public surveillance so they popped big ol boners reading this

Apr 7, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Everyone in this thread loves traffic cops and fining people with increased public surveillance so they popped big ol boners reading this

I did, drivers have proven over and over that they will kill themselves and other people around them unless they are carefully monitored like toddlers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

the guys giving out speeding tickets should not have guns imo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One thing not present in this article: Any mention of charges against the two drivers who killed this guy
Clearly the cars did it, drivers were barely involved.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the guys giving out speeding tickets should not have guns imo
How will they defend themselves against all those killer cars tho?

AR’s for everyone. (joke’s on us, there’s already an AR in every cruiser)

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Feb 14, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

we actually love meter maids

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

That's right, traffic cops save lives every day and you know they're good because all the worst and most despicable people hate them. o7

Even better is if everything is just automated so that if you speed or drive like an idiot you get mailed a ticket or your car just shuts down and a grenade goes off in the engine block

Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Even better is if everything is just automated so that if you speed or drive like an idiot you get mailed a ticket or your car just shuts down and a grenade goes off in the engine block

There is a current to-do here because the school buses have automated cameras on them to catch people passing them while they're lit up and sending them a ticket. Local news is pitching a fit about "totalitarianism" because of it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/comments/1agcp1m/major_changes_coming_for_those_who_fight_school/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

the No Contact Apprehension Policy, where main roads in the Philippines would be monitored via CCTV and tickets incurred would need to be paid the next time a car had to go in for its yearly re-registration, triggered the single fastest political movement to have it abolished as soon as it was implemented

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I propose renaming them "traffic workers"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

There is a current to-do here because the school buses have automated cameras on them to catch people passing them while they're lit up and sending them a ticket. Local news is pitching a fit about "totalitarianism" because of it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/comments/1agcp1m/major_changes_coming_for_those_who_fight_school/

people who don't wait for school buses are scum

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I propose renaming them "traffic workers"

Take away their guns and arrest powers and that would be a good start. Basically expand parking enforcement and let them issue moving violations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

DaysBefore posted:

"Meter maids are cops!" I shriek as the car grinds me under its boot. No one investigates my death.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's because only boomers watch local news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

couldn't you also mount a really powerful light on a bike
Yes, it rules. Love to blast drivers with auto highbeams.