Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

They put out Paranormasight last year too as one of their low-mid level budget titles, and it's mechanically probably one of the most creative fourth wall breaking visual novels I've ever played and maybe the only one I've ever played that I insist be done with a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xaris posted:

i figure they get special handouts from BoJ or something so it doesn't matter

then again they destroyed Deus Ex, Sleepy Dogs, Tomb Raider, etc because they didn't sell well enough?

S-E management is weird grumpy old men who hate everything and kept buying up western IP and then throwing tantrums when it didn't sell literal Call of Duty numbers while letting the guy who ran Sonic into the ground do whatever he wanted til he got arrested

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

Just fondly remembered the skeleton ball that races past you in DS3 only to race right back up the ramp after you started running back up feeling very clever for seeing it coming, summoned by a literal skeleton in a wizard hat

I had forgotten about this but I also love it. Great level design. Most people presumably get wrecked at least a couple of times before figuring out the pattern. Then you realize the mastermind is a crispy skeleton nerd in a wizard hat you can destroy with a single blow. He doesn't even fight back. I think the skeleton ball then explodes the next time it comes down and hits the wall, revealing priceless treasure inside?! That's some quality environmental storytelling. it was obscure enough for me that I was confused, annoyed, triumphant, and finally awed.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

S-E management is weird grumpy old men who hate everything and kept buying up western IP and then throwing tantrums when it didn't sell literal Call of Duty numbers while letting the guy who ran Sonic into the ground do whatever he wanted til he got arrested

lol that the guy who co-created sonic's follow-up character was balan wonderworld and then he was arrested for video game crimes

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
anyone here play sea of stars? got it for switch to play on a plane trip but the opening was so boring, like it starts you out with a ton of exposition, then like 10 min of rpg map traversal with like 3 total encounters, then a flashback with even more cutscenes and slow rear end map traversal.

anyway i finally stuck with it and it seems good, battle system seems pretty fun, enemies show how many turns til they act, and when they charge up spells you can combo break them to reset their timer or reduce their spell damage so there's more tactics other that just choosing single target, aoe, or heal per turn

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

palindrome posted:

I had forgotten about this but I also love it. Great level design. Most people presumably get wrecked at least a couple of times before figuring out the pattern. Then you realize the mastermind is a crispy skeleton nerd in a wizard hat you can destroy with a single blow. He doesn't even fight back. I think the skeleton ball then explodes the next time it comes down and hits the wall, revealing priceless treasure inside?! That's some quality environmental storytelling. it was obscure enough for me that I was confused, annoyed, triumphant, and finally awed.

It leaves behind something that is insanely useful AND makes sense, an undead bone shard which for some reason is what makes your estus heal for more in that game

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Plank Walker posted:

anyone here play sea of stars? got it for switch to play on a plane trip but the opening was so boring, like it starts you out with a ton of exposition, then like 10 min of rpg map traversal with like 3 total encounters, then a flashback with even more cutscenes and slow rear end map traversal.

anyway i finally stuck with it and it seems good, battle system seems pretty fun, enemies show how many turns til they act, and when they charge up spells you can combo break them to reset their timer or reduce their spell damage so there's more tactics other that just choosing single target, aoe, or heal per turn

two boomer jrpgs came out on gamepass at once, this and chained echoes. chained echoes looks a lot worse but it starts with you dropping out of an airship into a battlefield and then setting off a magical nuke by accident so you can guess which of the two i chose

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chained Echoes is the better game by far and somehow manages to keep a blistering (for the genre) pace the entire time. Also the combat system is interesting and fun

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
re: snes covers I don't like metal but this is the best way to do the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LD_4z2APxg

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

lol that the guy who co-created sonic's follow-up character was balan wonderworld and then he was arrested for video game crimes

His arrest has me kinda convinced Balan Wonderworld was intentionally insane garbage as some kind of stock shorting scam, because nothing else makes that game make any sense.

Also I know I'm too late but heres my FF ranking for all the ones I've played:

(FFTactics)>(Vagrant Story)>7>6>10>12>5>15>4>8>9>1>13

It feels unfair to include FF1 (and presumably 2 or 3 if I'd played them) in a ranking like this at all, tbh.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://youtu.be/M_-zCrN-MX8?si=8ESkTNcErtZmiyes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Palworld is just Balan Wonderworld reskinned

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Plank Walker posted:

yeah, im at the point where the party gets all split up and its kinda kicking my rear end the story owns

everyone itt hates it because they didnt play more than an hour so keep that in mind while u mine through the salt

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

His arrest has me kinda convinced Balan Wonderworld was intentionally insane garbage as some kind of stock shorting scam, because nothing else makes that game make any sense.

i find myself thinking a lot of things must be producers-style scams or money laundering but i think the truth is that people are just stupid and make bad things. though undoubtedly some of the bad things are weird scams so let those paranoid thoughts run wild!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
probably not controversial but the nicer automata piano ost rocks

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Balan Wonderworld definitely looks more like a really bad passion project over a scam. Just has all the signs of one guy's dream project while everyone else just goes "I don't get it"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Gumball Gumption posted:

Balan Wonderworld definitely looks more like a really bad passion project over a scam. Just has all the signs of one guy's dream project while everyone else just goes "I don't get it"

glad he got to realize his dream of a game where all the buttons do the same thing

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have no idea what a balan wonderland is and I don’t care to learn

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sea of Stars is sweet and actually for children to learn how to kill god and mistrust your principal and befriend dragons with the power of your warm heart.

No I have not gotten to any of those painstakingly foreshadowed parts. I'm only 10 hours in to this 70 hour Saturday morning cartoon. I do highly recommend it, especially if you want to read segments of exposition to toddlers and babies.

Up there with Harvestella in my book. I like it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Chained Echoes is the better game by far and somehow manages to keep a blistering (for the genre) pace the entire time. Also the combat system is interesting and fun

Chained Echos is also the work of just one guy (except for the music) so that's a cool factor too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I can't really give any feedback on Sea of Stars, I'm sure it's fine and maybe as good as Chained Echoes, but I loathe QTE inputs on attack and defense in a turn based combat system so that's where I stopped. I really loved Chained Echoes because it just tossed aside all the stuff I dislike about turn based combat and JRPGs and kept all the good stuff and combined them in interesting ways.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Diablo 2 is still sick as hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thehoodie posted:

Diablo 2 is still sick as hell

blasted through Hell Act 4 tonight with my Lightning Zealot, can confirm

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The PS5 has not met Sony's sales expectations, and the console is 20% more expensive than it was at launch in Japan

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sea of Stars is really really pretty but also has a really boring story with personality less characters.

Chained Echoes has a way better story and more interesting and likeable characters and the moon is canonically a giant owl that loving obliterates airships that fly too high. It does however have one of the grossest pieces of needlessly edgy rape as backstory I have ever seen though.

In conclusion, the throwback boomer jrpg to play is CrossCode which is perfect in every way.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
CrossCode is good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

learn to CrossCode

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

CrossCode is good

best game ever written in HTML

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Xaris posted:

CrossCode is good

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

Agreed, Chained Echoes is very good.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I will be checking out CrossCode this evening.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Looks like Crosscode is currently on sale on GOG for $5.99 btw

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That game plays so drat smooth

Maybe one of the best controlling games out there

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My understanding of sea of stars is that, like Bloober team and sh2, the devs are obsessed with Chrono trigger to an unhealthy degree and it has negative impacts on their game

Xaris posted:

CrossCode is good

Cross code is good but it's very long. Additionally I'd like to say if you get it get the dlc and play the epilogue as soon as you beat the game I tried playing it when it came out but it had been two years since I finished crosscode and it was too hard / I was too out of practice

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

there's definitely some stuff in chained echoes that felt like them going "this ain't your daddys jrpg!!!" that rubbed me the wrong way

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's got some grim stuff in there but still a lot less than the og FFVII had imho

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CrossCode>Chained Echoes>>Sea of Stars but they're all good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

paid sixbux for another sweet retro RPG, thanks all

probably gonna play one of these before playing Y8??? haven't decided yet

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

ive been playing myth: the fallen lords recently and its p cool, wish i played it back in the day when my native resolution didnt make the ui tiny, but im not sure 1997 me wouldve had the patience for some of this trial and error bullshit

i do wish that you got to see at least one massive battle instead of just hearing about it in the history channel narration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
crosscode was weird because every time I got to a new puzzle in a dungeon I was like "another puzzle???" but I mean they were all pretty satisfying to figure out

but even the first dungeon took me like an hour I think, unless that's a number that makes me sound really stupid in which case it was uhh definitely less than that