Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You have one problem, you use regex to solve it. Now you have two problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Regex is one of those things where I got really good at it in school then immediately forgot everything I knew about it.

Now whenever something comes up that I need it I just make someone else do it. It's not that I can't, I just don't want to. I'm reaching that point in my career I can get away with that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

whenever I need a regex for something I paste to test data into regex101 and fart around for 20 minutes and it's good enough

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Isepic posted:

I have a domain for email, and the address I use has a single letter before @. You'd (not) be surprised how many times web forms have told me that it's not valid.
Best one I ever had was my old university address was mail.name.tld. You'd be amazed how many services didn't like that.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
A ticket came in that only one of the two monitors on a user's system is working. Figured it was a dock issue, turns out someone stole the DisplayPort cable right off their setup. Who steals a DisplayPort cable?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Someone whose display port cable broke.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

klosterdev posted:

A ticket came in that only one of the two monitors on a user's system is working. Figured it was a dock issue, turns out someone stole the DisplayPort cable right off their setup. Who steals a DisplayPort cable?

Other than that, how is your first day of helpdesk going?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

klosterdev posted:

I just bought a house and in the lounge the previous owners had run an HDMI cable through the wall, presumably between a wall mounted TV and a console or a bluray player or something. One end of the HDMI cable has had the plastic housing surrounding the pins pulled off so the pins are flailing around and bent, and the entire cable is utterly useless. How did they manage to do this? Did someone just pull the TV off the wall without unplugging the cable, which had somehow been glued into the TV? WHO KNOWS? People do inexpliable things with A/V equipment

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It seemed like we never had enough DisplayPort cables when I worked helpdesk. But for some reason we had entire drawers full of DVI and VGA. I threw away bunches of those to make more room

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Problem: routers are boot looping

Cause: installers all on the same day for the first time managed to mix up the power adapters for the ONUs and the routers and they're different amperages

Solution: don't mix up the goddamn power adapters

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I got hosed over yesterday.

I'm working helldesk on a military research base as a contractor. The company I work for posted a position for the Cybersec team in the same room I work in. They posted the job with a pay range of 45-60k.

My last job was cybersec, I only took this helldesk job because I was unemployed and needed SOMETHING at the time. 60k is more than I was making, I figured I could push for it.

I get accepted, get the paperwork for the transfer. They offer me 55k. I counter with 60k, and explain that 55k, while slightly more than my helldesk pay, still leaves me struggling financially.

I get called down to the contract manager, who is looking upset. Dude appears to legitimately feel bad, but he explains that the contract is "Fixed Rate" and the government set salary ranges on every position - ones that can't be exceeded. 55k is the cap for both helldesk AND cybersec analyst roles.

Worse, he tells me that a coworker in helldesk just put in his 2 weeks a few days before he called me down. Contract states that helldesk MUST be fully manned, which means they can't even transfer me on schedule. I had been training up a rookie to replace me, and they are now being used to backfill the person leaving. They now need to find another replacement person to backfill me before I can be moved.

I'm now trying to figure out if it's even legal for this company to have advertised the position as paying more than they could actually offer. And I am loving PISSED that I'm stuck doing helldesk even longer because I missed the window for signing the transfer agreement by a few minutes because I thought that the company had room to negotiate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

chin up everything sucks posted:

I got hosed over yesterday.

I'm working helldesk on a military research base as a contractor. The company I work for posted a position for the Cybersec team in the same room I work in. They posted the job with a pay range of 45-60k.

My last job was cybersec, I only took this helldesk job because I was unemployed and needed SOMETHING at the time. 60k is more than I was making, I figured I could push for it.

I get accepted, get the paperwork for the transfer. They offer me 55k. I counter with 60k, and explain that 55k, while slightly more than my helldesk pay, still leaves me struggling financially.

I get called down to the contract manager, who is looking upset. Dude appears to legitimately feel bad, but he explains that the contract is "Fixed Rate" and the government set salary ranges on every position - ones that can't be exceeded. 55k is the cap for both helldesk AND cybersec analyst roles.

Worse, he tells me that a coworker in helldesk just put in his 2 weeks a few days before he called me down. Contract states that helldesk MUST be fully manned, which means they can't even transfer me on schedule. I had been training up a rookie to replace me, and they are now being used to backfill the person leaving. They now need to find another replacement person to backfill me before I can be moved.

I'm now trying to figure out if it's even legal for this company to have advertised the position as paying more than they could actually offer. And I am loving PISSED that I'm stuck doing helldesk even longer because I missed the window for signing the transfer agreement by a few minutes because I thought that the company had room to negotiate.

I do not see how it can be legal to say the job pays up to 60k if you are literally unable to offer 60k. Like, you can pull some really dodgy poo poo by saying things like "Up to 80% off!" when you've literally got only one item that's 80% off and the rest are 5% off, but you can't say it when you have literally NOTHING that's 80% off, it's just a lie.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That is ringing a ton of bullshit alarms in my head. I’ve never heard of the government mandating a cap like that because I don’t think that’s how that works at all unless the salary exceeds $180k or something. Generally the government will say hey we need someone to fill these rolls, contract companies will bid on it, and whoever wins has determined that they can make a profit if they pay X number of people Y amount. It is entirely up to the contract company to determine how much everyone gets paid and they can dish out raises whenever.

For them to say there’s a hard upper limit is them telling you they made it up and refuse to pay people more. It might be possible that they’re telling the truth but they’ll never show you the specific wording of the contract anyway so you’d never be able to find out. I’d be demanding to see that wording anyway because I don’t believe it for a second. Like “oh sorry can’t give out raises the government said so” it’s just so much bullshit I’d be loving furious

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fil5000 posted:

I just bought a house and in the lounge the previous owners had run an HDMI cable through the wall, presumably between a wall mounted TV and a console or a bluray player or something. One end of the HDMI cable has had the plastic housing surrounding the pins pulled off so the pins are flailing around and bent, and the entire cable is utterly useless. How did they manage to do this? Did someone just pull the TV off the wall without unplugging the cable, which had somehow been glued into the TV? WHO KNOWS? People do inexpliable things with A/V equipment

100% this, the removals people just picked the TV up and walked away with it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Like there are places with really rigid pay bands for positions, but they told you a band right there and then tried to say it can't go that high. That's hosed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Unlimited earnings potential.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

That is ringing a ton of bullshit alarms in my head. I’ve never heard of the government mandating a cap like that because I don’t think that’s how that works at all unless the salary exceeds $180k or something. Generally the government will say hey we need someone to fill these rolls, contract companies will bid on it, and whoever wins has determined that they can make a profit if they pay X number of people Y amount. It is entirely up to the contract company to determine how much everyone gets paid and they can dish out raises whenever.

For them to say there’s a hard upper limit is them telling you they made it up and refuse to pay people more. It might be possible that they’re telling the truth but they’ll never show you the specific wording of the contract anyway so you’d never be able to find out. I’d be demanding to see that wording anyway because I don’t believe it for a second. Like “oh sorry can’t give out raises the government said so” it’s just so much bullshit I’d be loving furious

This is also my experience. I worked for a company that was doing almost exactly this - they bid on an IT contract on an on-site IT support at a base, and ended up overbidding, as the people they hired (and the government really liked) were too expensive for the low-multiplier job roles the contract required. It was 100% on the contractor though, as the government doesn't care. This just means that your employer doesn't want to take less profit, or a small loss by offering the $60k - they are probably still making profit on the total contract.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

chin up everything sucks posted:

i dont think the government sets the salary ranges, fixed rate means your company bid $x a month for services. if they are offering $y as the salary, $x-$y = profit and 60K would eat into their profit. government is not setting the value for $y otherwise they would hire someone themselves.

deloitte outbid my father's firm once at $14 per hour for a SAP SME with top secret clearance on site in northern virginia. the DOD based client did question that rate but deloitte doubled down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Unlimited earnings potential.

My wife's eldest kid had a company invite her to an interview just off her CV on linkedin. She's 18, had one job doing bar work and food service and this "management consultancy" wants to headhunt her for a role with international travel. Their website has two different office addresses depending on which page you're on and Google maps has a third and they make a big deal of "unlimited earning potential".

loving scumbags

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

whenever I need a regex for something I paste to test data into regex101 and fart around for 20 minutes and it's good enough

This is what I do. Regex101 is truly excellent to guide my dumbass through remembering how it works.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
obligatory

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive worked some state and local government jobs that had set pay bands. They'd advertise the positions as being like $65-130k for example. Not telling you until you got hired though that basically only 1-2 people are getting that $130k. They had some wiggle room as to where you started at the lower bands, but the high range was for people who had been there 20+ years and got the raise year after year for those 20 years.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you started at the top of the band and everyone else got raises every year and you didn't, though, you'd be pretty sore. It's a different beast.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm in project management now, but I still get fun IT experiences. Mostly getting to work with IT from the other side and HOLY gently caress.

We're doing renovations on building A and will be moving people to buildings B, C, and D while those are happening. They'll be in these swing spaces for 2 years, so our contractor will be installing new network ports and running cables in these locations. We've got a firm timeline set and I just need to verify with the networking team that they'll be able to activate those ports over the course of a week, and if client services can hook everyone's computers up over the course of the following week so everyone can start working on April 1st. I need verification so the contractor can proceed. Just a yes or no.

Network Manager: *has disappeared off the face of the earth and will not respond to emails or slack messages* [It's been over a week]

Client Services Manager: Can I have a cutsheet of the ports being added?
Me: We won't have that until the contractor runs the cables. I just need your team to hook up computers during %daterange%. Can you confirm y'all can do this?
CSM: Alright, thanks! If you need anything from my team, just let me know!
Me: I need your team to hook up these computers on these dates, please confirm.
CSM: Can I have a cutsheet?
Me: You don't need a cutsheet. That's for the networking team and you'll get a copy when we have it. Please just confirm your team can hook up the computers.
CSM: Yes, my team is available now. I'll send them over.
Me: No, this is happening next month, not today. Please do not send your team over now.
CSM: Thanks! I'll let them know.

:bang:

Network Manager: Hey, I'm a few cables short for this project. I need 200 fiber cables by Monday.
Me: Where have you been? No, that's impossible. I need you to verify your team is available to activate these ports next month.
NM: *has disappeared off the face of the earth and will not respond to emails or slack messages* [It's been 3 days]

Not pictured: 13 other people waiting for my answer to proceed with a multimillion dollar project. I'm just going to plug all this stuff in myself at this point.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Way too many people cannot loving read. It's maddening.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This poo poo is the reason that project managers have a document for everything and make "pointless" meetings where they get official sign-offs on those documents.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

today someone used the word "streaming" where they meant "buffering" and i've been deeply mad at it all day

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reminds me of a video or meme I saw years ago where someone was commenting about something they saw in the big long ingredients list on a bottle, they said "So I'm reading this bottle, I'm scrolling, and I come across ___ ...."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Welcome back to IT

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

A Frosty Witch posted:

I'm in project management now, but I still get fun IT experiences. Mostly getting to work with IT from the other side and HOLY gently caress.

We're doing renovations on building A and will be moving people to buildings B, C, and D while those are happening. They'll be in these swing spaces for 2 years, so our contractor will be installing new network ports and running cables in these locations. We've got a firm timeline set and I just need to verify with the networking team that they'll be able to activate those ports over the course of a week, and if client services can hook everyone's computers up over the course of the following week so everyone can start working on April 1st. I need verification so the contractor can proceed. Just a yes or no.

Network Manager: *has disappeared off the face of the earth and will not respond to emails or slack messages* [It's been over a week]

Client Services Manager: Can I have a cutsheet of the ports being added?
Me: We won't have that until the contractor runs the cables. I just need your team to hook up computers during %daterange%. Can you confirm y'all can do this?
CSM: Alright, thanks! If you need anything from my team, just let me know!
Me: I need your team to hook up these computers on these dates, please confirm.
CSM: Can I have a cutsheet?
Me: You don't need a cutsheet. That's for the networking team and you'll get a copy when we have it. Please just confirm your team can hook up the computers.
CSM: Yes, my team is available now. I'll send them over.
Me: No, this is happening next month, not today. Please do not send your team over now.
CSM: Thanks! I'll let them know.

:bang:

Network Manager: Hey, I'm a few cables short for this project. I need 200 fiber cables by Monday.
Me: Where have you been? No, that's impossible. I need you to verify your team is available to activate these ports next month.
NM: *has disappeared off the face of the earth and will not respond to emails or slack messages* [It's been 3 days]

Not pictured: 13 other people waiting for my answer to proceed with a multimillion dollar project. I'm just going to plug all this stuff in myself at this point.

CSM is a robot and the network manager is an imposter realizing that his cover is blown now that he's expected to work with someone who knows IT.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Network Manager has grown to used to no-one asking them to do anything, now when someone presents them with a task they get bolshy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Same, honestly

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I just learned that my spare Chromecast does not work on wifi networks with a captive portal. I've also spent enough time trying to find workarounds for this that I realized I've learned this on at least 2 other occasions before. I hate my stupid brain. :smith:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I just learned that my spare Chromecast does not work on wifi networks with a captive portal. I've also spent enough time trying to find workarounds for this that I realized I've learned this on at least 2 other occasions before. I hate my stupid brain. :smith:
Setup a travel router that you can use that is already all configured for the chromecast and will allow you to bring both together to have the access you need without having to change the network it's connecting to each time. Allows your other devices to do the same as a bonus.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Entropic posted:

Normally you can get in basically anywhere if you have a clipboard and look bored.

I used to carry a sharpie on a black shoelace to rock concerts. I would wear it around my neck and try to bluff my way backstage. It worked as often as it didn’t because who wears a sharpie around their neck who doesn’t need a sharpie at all times?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

minusX posted:

Setup a travel router that you can use that is already all configured for the chromecast and will allow you to bring both together to have the access you need without having to change the network it's connecting to each time. Allows your other devices to do the same as a bonus.

That's one of the workarounds I found, but it requires a network cable to plug into the router, no idea where that thing is or if it has a free port. It's a clever solution though.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

That's one of the workarounds I found, but it requires a network cable to plug into the router, no idea where that thing is or if it has a free port. It's a clever solution though.
I believe the ones marketed as exactly that can also be setup to connect to your hotspot, OR can also be setup via you connecting to the device wireless from a phone/laptop, logging into the web portal on the device, and then sharing that access to other machines using your private wifi network.

This is the one I got https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH, and then I stopped packing the chromecast with all the hotels having smart TVs that worked for what I wanted to do which was a mistake because the last hotel I went to didn't.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A ticket came in...

"Whenever I lock my PC, my phone stops working, so when I leave my desk it doesn't ring, it just goes straight to voicemail"

Can you guess the cause?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

A ticket came in...

"Whenever I lock my PC, my phone stops working, so when I leave my desk it doesn't ring, it just goes straight to voicemail"

Can you guess the cause?

Softphone that sets status to away when the computer is locked (b/c the user is away)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragonshardz posted:

Softphone that sets status to away when the computer is locked (b/c the user is away)

Nope, it's a separate physical desk phone. Clue: It's a VOIP phone but their network does not have POE.