Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Nettle Soup posted:

it's a nice looking page

Yeah, it looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And so the Gunnerkrigg Court Cycle begins anew where the start of a chapter seems promising

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I can't wait for Shadow to say "I broke up with Robot for no reason. I'm leaving the comic permanently. Just needed to make sure you knew that before I left. Bye"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As long as it's not Shadow asking what's going on, and Annie gives him a long explanation of what's been going on the past 3 chapters (again), I'll be happy.

... well gently caress, that's what it's going to be, isn't it?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Randalor posted:

Why would Shadow being there mean they aren't in the distortion anymore? Honest question, if it's something they've said or shown in the past, I'm drawing a blank on.

Not Shadow specifically. Just something in the way he shows up and has a fairly normal looking background.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

I can't wait for Shadow to say "I broke up with Robot for no reason. I'm leaving the comic permanently. Just needed to make sure you knew that before I left. Bye"
God I’m still mad over the Paz breakup. Not saying it couldn’t be done with better buildup, but it was done so fast that it was clear it’s because he no longer needed/wanted her in the comic.

And even that might have been okay if the comic actually ended or was clearly at the climax and isn’t still limping along aimlessly a whole…god, 10 months later

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
so like when was the last time we saw Shadow? It's been like literal years right

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

so like when was the last time we saw Shadow? It's been like literal years right

The last time Shadow showed up at all was in the popularity contest, where they took 10th place. That's hilarious that the 10th most popular character hasn't been seen since the contest where they announced they were the 10th most popular character.

Their ACTUAL last appearance was standing in the background watching Arthur get a new body in https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2163, with their last speaking role being here https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2140

With their last speaking role being 2140 and their newest being 2902, that means 762 strips have passed since Shadow has been able to speak, which means 26% of the entire comic's length has stood between Shadow's last speaking role and this one. Further, Shadow's speaking role in 2140 occurs on a single panel only, and their last appearance before THAT one, not counting the little omake strip about them responding to being 3D, is a sidenote scene in https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1987, another 153 pages previous. They have another cut-away reaction shot a bit earlier than that. You have to go back to https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1919 to find when Shadow was an actual character with more than one pages' worth of appearance and more than one line of dialogue. (They appear on two pages, and have 4 speech bubbles, two of which are monosyllabic noises).

This means that 33% of the comic's total length has passed since Shadow, the second character to be introduced to the story and whose first appearance was on page 2, was a significant presence in the comic whatsoever.

Between Shadow's appearance here and their last depiction with more than one speaking line, 7 years have passed.

If this even is Shadow.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 14, 2024

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

God I’m still mad over the Paz breakup. Not saying it couldn’t be done with better buildup, but it was done so fast that it was clear it’s because he no longer needed/wanted her in the comic.

And even that might have been okay if the comic actually ended or was clearly at the climax and isn’t still limping along aimlessly a whole…god, 10 months later

Remember how so much of Paz's described reasons for breaking up with Kat were "she's going where I cannot follow, she's gonna become a hosed up machine god and it sucks and I can't watch"

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2765

It really makes the Renard: "kat you are literally mid-apotheosis" Kat: "haha geez guys :kimchi:" poo poo with 0 consequences feel even stupider and more inappropriate. Here's hoping this chapter turns out to be related to Consequences(tm) somehow

e: I started reading a few pages from the linked comics above and ran into this again and god I loving hate Annie blaming everything on herself and I hate how it doesn't even seem to be some kind of intentional character flaw where she unnecessarily blames herself for things, the comic just lets her do that and in fact encourages it. Yeah Kat tries to tell her it isn't her fault but she incorrectly states Ysengrin's behavior had nothing to do with Jeanne, when Coyote deliberately instigated it as soon as the Annan Waters were traversible.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 14, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Well see, Kat's flaw is being too soft on Annie I guess????

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
if the next page is an exposition dump with no explanation of who not-Zimmy is i'm gonna be pissed

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I have quietly been following this thread but gotta comment because I 100% recognize your avatar but don't remember where it's from and it's driving me crazy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Solenna posted:

I have quietly been following this thread but gotta comment because I 100% recognize your avatar but don't remember where it's from and it's driving me crazy.

Haha I get this question every so often. That's Morty Maxwell from the best DOS edutainment series ever, Super Solvers.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wow, I always thought it was some hosed up Dr. Wily

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

Wow, I always thought it was some hosed up Dr. Wily

I mean, kinda, yeah. Dude literally builds robots for you to fight in like half the games, although the fighting consists of math questions or testing your reading comprehension.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am bracing myself for a plotline where Shadow breaks up with Robot and shadow just has all the shadow people leave the comic forever. "All the gay couples break up and leave while the heterosexual couples last, what did tom mean by this?"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Haha I get this question every so often. That's Morty Maxwell from the best DOS edutainment series ever, Super Solvers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hadn't caught up in a while and lol.

Anything extra interesting in the past 200 posts?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Annointed posted:

I am bracing myself for a plotline where Shadow breaks up with Robot and shadow just has all the shadow people leave the comic forever. "All the gay couples break up and leave while the heterosexual couples last, what did tom mean by this?"

I dunno, it's been awhile since we saw Parley and Smith in the comic either, so maybe even the heterosexual couples aren't safe.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Don't worry, Lana will return triumphantly soon, and Loup will calm down and they'll be together and happy again.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean, kinda, yeah. Dude literally builds robots for you to fight in like half the games, although the fighting consists of math questions or testing your reading comprehension.

I remembered seeing your avatar and thinking "wow deep cut" because I knew him specifically from their game Treasure Mountain where he's dressed the same except he's wearing a crown. I didn't actually know there were other games with him in them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
why hasn't annie just been touching every new person that shows up? that makes them vanish in an explosion if they're fake right? She can find out who is real and who isn't by demanding a handshake before any conversation

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
She's not really taking anything she learned from her previous excursions into Zimmingham, like "gotta find Gamma".

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It’s Lana, isn’t it…

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

It has to be Lana, I refuse to believe that Zimmy would ever make that face. What is that face?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I love that last panel unironically. Very good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
could be gamma, actually

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh god, if it turns out that Annie freeing Shadow from the Court started all this mess...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Lana is the one who has made those pouty faces before but I don’t see why she’d be turned into another girl who kind of looks like Zimmy except as some strange red herring for the audience while the plot spins its wheels. Why do we need this tangent?

Rat Patrol posted:

why hasn't annie just been touching every new person that shows up? that makes them vanish in an explosion if they're fake right? She can find out who is real and who isn't by demanding a handshake before any conversation

At this point Annie has the memory of a goldfish and I can’t tell even tell what the current objective is. Every page reads like it’s being planned the day Tom sits down to draw it. Reminds me a lot of how Dominic Deegan was written after a while.

I know Tom used to have a multi-month backlog of pages, but I wonder if he lost that. Because losing that lead time to plan and redirect the plot based on reader reactions or theories would sure exacerbate how weightless, meandering, and sedentary everything feels even in what should be a terrifying moment.

There’s what amounts to a kaiju fight between two reality warping gods happen… somewhere nearby. Where? Idk.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I mean, you've basically just described the general state of the comic for the past several years.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
This had better lead to something

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

rudecyrus posted:

This had better lead to something

It won't

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
BWIP

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well, they went somewhere...

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Well, they went somewhere...

It's the window Shadow pointed out of to indicate he was from the Forest:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=4

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If the rest of the comic was just today's page, repeated over and over again, forever, I would be very happy.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Okay I'm convinced with that stupid :T mouth, it's Lana. She's probably afraid Annie's going to pull her into the ether too.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
If this keeps up, they might even bwip into a good comic! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It would be funny if they pick up Parley/Smitty and eventually Katamari Damacy the rest of the forgotten cast of this comic but I know better than to have hope at this point