Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

4chan had a thing for a while as their pure Aryan princess in contrast to all the degenerate black rappers and poo poo. I think part of the reason the Right is so furious and assmad about her is because they want to like her but she's not fascist enough for them to like.

She's an attractive white woman who would be a great Nazi postergirl, but she has the temerity to not be a Nazi so they feel personally betrayed.

4chan was also convinced she was one of them for reasons i can't even begin to understand or articulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Neito posted:

4chan was also convinced she was one of them for reasons i can't even begin to understand or articulate.

iirc before 2018 or so she was famously tight-lipped about her politics, so 4chan started calling her their Aryan princess as a joke-y meme. But she never denied it, so as these things inevitably go, the meme evolved into people's actual beliefs

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Doja Cat is the most famous 4chan user anyhow.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I, uh, don't think that's exactly what they want, Tim.
https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1757444130391666929?t=4PVndZGbVXISDoByef-NdA&s=19

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
The child sex rings running out of pizza places weren't evil enough for their overlords' liking so now they're getting really kinky by switching it up, literally

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Tim is one of the dumber YouTube grifters but that might be one of his dumbest reads b

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Neito posted:

1. Blonde and Pretty
2. Successful
3. Started as a country music act
4. Stayed out of politics for a long time (to probably not piss anyone off to maximize profit)

But then she said, LGBTQ+ community is great and also get vaccinated and I am going to get people to register to vote. They couldn't handle it.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I'm not gonna lie, I'm hoping it picks up steam. Okay not too much steam because there's violent people with guns among that rabble, but, y'know, just a bit more.

Seriously we have a pretty blonde girl dating a Superbowl winning football player, and all the Real Americans™️ have to say about it is "SATANISM'. A new satanic panic centered around Taylor fuckin Swift is nearly unbeatable in terms of entertainment quality, and self isolating effect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Swift is probably a perfect storm of reasons. Rejecting country and having more success in pop. Pushing back against the predatorial systems of her industry. Having the nerve to have political opinions and being yet another celebrity on the side of evil and encouraging people to vote and actually being effective. And yeah that she rejected the alt right by not being their aryan princess. Then she had the nerve to date the famous football player who dated a bunch of black women and says you should get vaccinated.

But practically I think the simplest answer is the practical one. They’re terrified she’s actually gonna move the needle in the election. That and they’re just jumping on the popular thing same as when they were briefly obsessed with Barbie.

Of course insanity seems to just follow Swift. After all the whacked out “the relationship is faked and the season is rigged to get her to the super bowl” poo poo really was there before RWM jumped on the wagon.

Turns out people are loving weird about famous people.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 13, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Neito posted:

Internet historian and SA goon Justin Whang, has a video all about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrfMvvADRI4

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Of course insanity seems to just follow Swift. After all the whacked out “the relationship is faked and the season is rigged to get her to the super bowl” poo poo really was there before RWM jumped on the wagon.

Turns out people are loving weird about famous people.

I don't think you can underestimate the cult of personality and magical thinking going on in a lot of modern conservative thought. They seem to see a lot of this as their talisman against our talisman and they don't have a counter to Swift in that paradigm.

Which seems to be leading to this narrative of 'if it hadn't been for Taylor Swift then ... " that seems to be where they are heading. When in reality I think everyone just really hates Trump and modern zero-sum, give no ground ever, compromise is failure RW politics and she's just one of the more obvious examples

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

DarklyDreaming posted:

It makes perfect sense if your definition of "queer" means "Not living the exact life your parents want" which I am confident in saying is the root of all conservative thought at the moment

This is not just a conservative thing lol

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I'm 2014, I believed zucc would play kingmaker in 2016. The gop definitely made moves to ensure he didn't swing 2016 to the Dems.

In 2023, it was clear Taylor is this season's kingmaker.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I just wish I could go two fuckin minutes without hearing about Taylor Swift. News articles, news radio, and every SA thread I have bookmarked just cannot stop talking about her, just really fuckin intense over the last week or two.

I wish I had one of those Black Mirror style filters so every time she came up all I'd hear or see was just KSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH and flickering static.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Weatherman posted:

I just wish I could go two fuckin minutes without hearing about Taylor Swift. News articles, news radio, and every SA thread I have bookmarked just cannot stop talking about her, just really fuckin intense over the last week or two.

I assume at least from politics places that will calm down a lot now the NFL is done. She seems to stay very unpolitical, other than occasional get out to vote stuff which won't be until much nearer the election, so MAGA crew will forget about her in a week or two when some new rando come along to take their hate for stupid reasons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I can't remember if she specifically said DEMOCRATS but I'd find it hilarious if they got furious at her for just encouraging people to register to vote, not even for any specific party, just encouraging people to be politically active.

:stonk: "Nooo, you can't just tell everyone to register to vote and vote in record numbers! Our entire campaign strategy relies on key demographics being ambivalent about voting!"

:v: "Haha early voting processing machine goes BRRRRRRR"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She endorsed Biden in 2020 but she just did general get out the vote stuff I believe. But yeah everyone knows keeping people disengaged and unable to/disinterested in voting is like 50% of the Republican platform.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

She endorsed Biden in 2020 but she just did general get out the vote stuff I believe. But yeah everyone knows keeping people disengaged and unable to/disinterested in voting is like 50% of the Republican platform.
Yes, but also it really seems to me like Trump himself feels personally threatened and/or pissed that she has way more reach than he does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dr_rat posted:

I assume at least from politics places that will calm down a lot now the NFL is done. She seems to stay very unpolitical, other than occasional get out to vote stuff which won't be until much nearer the election, so MAGA crew will forget about her in a week or two when some new rando come along to take their hate for stupid reasons.

In 2020 she tweeted “we will destroy you” or similar at Trump, so I think the “very unpolitical” phase has been over for a while.

E: found it

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1266392274549776387

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

We were all acting a lil different in May of 2020

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Swift did endorse Biden in 2020 but during this election cycle has not said anything political and only did a tweet or Instagram post to promote voter registration which may have gotten like 30K people to register within a day.

The issue is,

1. if Swift endorsees anyone, it is going to be Biden/Dems (but she hasn’t)
2 any voters she recruits for voter registration are probably going to be mostly 18-35 years old and skew heavily female, which is going to be an overwhelmingly Dem voting demographic.

I doubt that any celebrity endorsement (or endorsements in general) has the power to move the needle much in voters’ choice of candidate, if they did Hillary would have won by a billion electoral votes. But moving people in your demographic from nonvoter to voter is something.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

IIRC the general consensus is that her previous managment heavily encouraged her to stay out of politics, which caused a lot of chuds and alt-right to fill in the gaps with "So she's an ayrian princess nazi, right?" and my understand is that she's trying to avoid that now, and her new management isn't nearly as... I'll just call it what it is, cowardly.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What is the source of the video clip of Taylor Swift sitting around a couch with her family or parents discussing her decision to come out and endorse the Tennessee Democratic candidate for US Senate over Blackburn, and saying she regretted being quiet about politics earlier?

Also, another funny and pathetic part of the right wing meltdown over Swift is the insistence that she is a lesbian.

It is the ultimate bog standard “bitch rejected my advances she must be queer”.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zwabu posted:

What is the source of the video clip of Taylor Swift sitting around a couch with her family or parents discussing her decision to come out and endorse the Tennessee Democratic candidate for US Senate over Blackburn, and saying she regretted being quiet about politics earlier?

"Miss Americana", it's on Netflix.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Also, another funny and pathetic part of the right wing meltdown over Swift is the insistence that she is a lesbian.

Is that seperate from the Gaylor tumblr fanfic poo poo? Or are you conflating the two?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Yeah I’ve only ever seen Gaylor stuff from deranged tumblrites, not exactly a strong right wing constituency

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I'll ever get over the "pop musician is a Pentagon psy-op to elect a "radical-left" president" conspiracy. Just lmao.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think I'll ever get over the "pop musician is a Pentagon psy-op to elect a "radical-left" president" conspiracy. Just lmao.

Look everyone knows bidens just bidding his time till his second term where he's immediately going to nationalize, eagles, American flags, and July 4th!!!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

It's hilarious because so much of how it came about is because so many leaders at the Pentagon are small-s conservatives who have 100% swallowed the idea that the more government operates like a business, the better. As a result, they're full in for DEI and trappings of social equity because that's what Corporate America is doing to shine their brands and increase their audiences, and the Pentagon knows full well it needs to be an attractive career opportunity to young minorities and retain skilled minorities because there is no way in hell they're getting enlistments otherwise.

Resulting in modern Republicans hating both Big Business and the Military-Industrial Complex not for what they do, but for the rainbow-washing they do it with

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

On one hand, I want it to keep going because lol lmao how can anyone acting like that be taken seriously. Like, it can't possibly not be self isolating to be rambling on about the military somehow using pop music and football to do a leftism.

On the other hand, Americans are loving dumb and they'll tolerate nearly any thought or opinion so long as it doesn't threaten corporations' bottom line and isn't racial slur riddled (and even then the jury is out). Your "drunk racist uncle" is just an an annoyance, but anyone that thinks maybe Walmart should pay taxes is an active threat to the nation.

Decon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 14, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
To conservatives Joe Biden is one of those boss fights where he starts out as this doddering pushover then gets his Ultimate Dark Brandon form which causes full screen communism bullet hell that is very difficult to overcome.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zwabu posted:

Swift did endorse Biden in 2020 but during this election cycle has not said anything political and only did a tweet or Instagram post to promote voter registration which may have gotten like 30K people to register within a day.

The issue is,

1. if Swift endorsees anyone, it is going to be Biden/Dems (but she hasn’t)
2 any voters she recruits for voter registration are probably going to be mostly 18-35 years old and skew heavily female, which is going to be an overwhelmingly Dem voting demographic.

I doubt that any celebrity endorsement (or endorsements in general) has the power to move the needle much in voters’ choice of candidate, if they did Hillary would have won by a billion electoral votes. But moving people in your demographic from nonvoter to voter is something.

A recent survey showed that something like 18% of her fans would automatically vote for whoever she endorses. They're that enraptured by her.

That's a sizable number of people.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zwabu posted:

lol Fox News recently asked Blackburn what she'd do if Taylor endorsed her opponent again this time. Blackburn responded with the most pathetic answer basically sucking up to Taylor. The Fox News people clearly thought she would attack Taylor if asked so they kept rewording the question and asking her again. Her answers got more and more pathetic, basically begging Taylor not to do it.

She's scared as gently caress of Taylor.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

...! posted:

A recent survey showed that something like 18% of her fans would automatically vote for whoever she endorses. They're that enraptured by her.

That's a sizable number of people.

you know even if it most likely helps Rs lose, I dont like that people just use this as a shortcut to thinking who/what to vote for.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

PhazonLink posted:

you know even if it most likely helps Rs lose, I dont like that people just use this as a shortcut to thinking who/what to vote for.

People loving sucks, hate to break it to you.

But lol if anyone thinks there’s a chance in hell that one of the biggest musical acts in the world will endorse Trump in any way shape or form. Even if she were a true believer she’d keep that under wraps 10000000%.

When Cats turned out to be a Lovcraftian horror TS removed any and all mention of the movie on her Instagram. Regardless of her politics (I assume she’s pretty liberal) any artist of that caliber will know what a Trump endorsement would do to her image. The fact that there are chuds who are somehow surprised by this reality is hilarious to me.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 14, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

skeleton warrior posted:

It's hilarious because so much of how it came about is because so many leaders at the Pentagon are small-s conservatives who have 100% swallowed the idea that the more government operates like a business, the better. As a result, they're full in for DEI and trappings of social equity because that's what Corporate America is doing to shine their brands and increase their audiences, and the Pentagon knows full well it needs to be an attractive career opportunity to young minorities and retain skilled minorities because there is no way in hell they're getting enlistments otherwise.

Resulting in modern Republicans hating both Big Business and the Military-Industrial Complex not for what they do, but for the rainbow-washing they do it with
It's interesting how since they believe everything leftist is disingenuous lies with an agenda anyway, when organizations actually do this, or actually have a good structural reason to go for diversity like you mention, they can't tell that it's any different.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Decon posted:

On one hand, I want it to keep going because lol lmao how can anyone acting like that be taken seriously. Like, it can't possibly not be self isolating to be rambling on about the military somehow using pop music and football to do a leftism.

On the other hand, Americans are loving dumb and they'll tolerate nearly any thought or opinion so long as it doesn't threaten corporations' bottom line and isn't racial slur riddled (and even then the jury is out). Your "drunk racist uncle" is just an an annoyance, but anyone that thinks maybe Walmart should pay taxes is an active threat to the nation.

I dunno, man. The FBI used to keep files on popular celebrities like John Lennon, Muhammad Ali, Jimi Hendrix, Jackie Robinson and all kinds of folks with the lens that they were subversives or whatever. Then you go back to blacklisting and people like Lucille Ball. It's a time honored tradition to look at popular people in mainstream culture for not being..."American" enough I guess. But it is weird that here we have two rich white people, one an NFL star and the other a bombshell blonde pop singer that you would think would fit the mold of All American Couple for chuds celebrating on the national stage during the United States biggest unofficial holiday.

Neither is a movie star, for instance. And Swift (I don't think) goes into Madonna or Cher territory by being super hypersexual and poo poo. But I guess unless either of them has a strong stance on the southern border or some poo poo then they're unpure. Nobody kneeled for the anthem or anything. DId Kelce forget to thank Jesus for the three trophies? I dunno, man.

It's so loving stupid. Especially the part where the right is freaking about the cult of personality when they build golden statues of Donald Trump.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 15, 2024

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The same people who gnash their teeth at young people admiring a musician make posters of Trump with the phrase “The Word became flesh”, lmao

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno, man. The FBI used to keep files on popular celebrities like John Lennon, Muhammad Ali, Jimi Hendrix, Jackie Robinson and all kinds of folks with the lens that they were subversives or whatever. Then you go back to blacklisting and people like Lucille Ball. It's a time honored tradition to look at popular people in mainstream culture for not being..."American" enough I guess. But it is weird that here we have two rich white people, one an NFL star and the other a bombshell blonde pop singer that you would think would fit the mold of All American Couple for chuds celebrating on the national stage during the United States biggest unofficial holiday.

Neither is a movie star, for instance. And Swift (I don't think) goes into Madonna or Cher territory by being super hypersexual and poo poo. But I guess unless either of them has a strong stance on the southern border or some poo poo then they're unpure. Nobody kneeled for the anthem or anything. DId Kelce forget to thank Jesus for the three trophies? I dunno, man.

It's so loving stupid. Especially the part where the right is freaking about the cult of personality when they build golden statues of Donald Trump.

One of them stumped for the covid vaccine so there you go. Utter left wing trash.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno, man. The FBI used to keep files on popular celebrities like John Lennon, Muhammad Ali, Jimi Hendrix, Jackie Robinson and all kinds of folks with the lens that they were subversives or whatever.

I think it’s important to note that the FBI did not do that in order to have those people make leftist movements more successful, exactly.