Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Strange announcement from the House Intelligence Committee just came out about 20 minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/HouseIntel/status/1757805804885823775

They've received intel that a Russian asset is attempting to run for President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's probably one of 3 things:

1.) Russia getting stupidly close to irrational nuke use.
2.) Russia is getting awesome at AI and will disrupt the election even further this time
3.) Russia has successfully infiltrated most of our infrastructure

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Strange announcement from the House Intelligence Committee just came out about 20 minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/HouseIntel/status/1757805804885823775

My guess; Mexicans exist, and are on our border

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BonoMan posted:

2.) Russia is getting awesome at AI and will disrupt the election even further this time

3 wouldn't be surprising, there's been alerts about vulnerabilities for decades now, especially with power grids

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BonoMan posted:

I wouldnt be shocked if its russia trying for estonia or more open election interferance.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah. Depending on who Turner is my first guess is it is going to be an attempt to demagogue Biden on border or Hamas issues, or possibly the fact that there are Nazis in Ukraine or whatever.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
Russia has captured a beloved American talk show host and they're threatening to return him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You got both sides (>_>) saying it's something so it's probably not the Fentanyl MS-13 Spec Ops Zetas coming to perform illegal abortions in south Texas

https://twitter.com/alexbward/status/1757824018000888047

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the house permanent select committee on intelligence has evidence that will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

America is surrounded by dangerous enemies in all directions!

South: Mexico, Cuba.
North: Canada
West: Asia
East: Europe

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
CNN says its related to Russia.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The "longer term" thing definitely makes me think it's just more related to general AI/misinformation capabilities than anything else.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BonoMan posted:

I'm betting on #3, out of these possibilities. Russia has been working on that for decades.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Russia is preparing to flood NATO nations with AI waifus and depress our birth rate until we can no longer resist them

Caros
May 14, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

the house permanent select committee on intelligence has evidence that will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton

I take no pleasure in reporting this but...

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Looks like it has something to do with Russia's destabilizing military capability.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/14/politics/house-intel-chairman-serious-national-security-threat/index.html

quote:

Earlier Wednesday, Turner sent his Congressional colleagues a letter saying the urgent matter is “with regard to a destabilizing foreign military capability.”

One of the sources who has seen the intelligence confirmed that “it is, in fact, a highly concerning and destabilizing” Russian capability “that we were recently made aware of.”

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

lobster shirt posted:

the house permanent select committee on intelligence has evidence that will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton Hunter Biden

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Don't forget down (Hell) and up (Betelgeuse)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Looks like it has something to do with Russia's destabilizing military capability.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/14/politics/house-intel-chairman-serious-national-security-threat/index.html

Hmm. Wonder if it's something related to drones or jamming or satellites.

Or all of the above?!?!?

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Velocity Raptor posted:

I hope not because someone would seize on this and say "see, we don't need to send Ukraine any foreign aid, since Russia will just collapse anyway" And then you have to deal with who takes control of the bombs.

My WAG is evidence of infiltration into infrastructure since it's stupid easy to do. But it's not a one way road... you can bet we've already done the same and have our finger on the button just waiting for an excuse to shut down a power grid or cause industrial equipment to destroy itself.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Whatever it is, it needs to be taken seriously. Turner is the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee; he must be highly intelligent to be chosen for that job.

So it's new pictures of Hunter's dick?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A former administration may have been infiltrated at the highest level!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Nenonen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbfBzWJVbX4

90% of the Canadian population has massed on the border with the United States.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I hope not because someone would seize on this and say "see, we don't need to send Ukraine any foreign aid, since Russia will just collapse anyway" And then you have to deal with who takes control of the bombs.

I may be the one misreading here, but I read "destabilizing military capabilities" as "military capabilities that cause destabilization", not that Russia is about to get super destabilized. Though it's hard to say for sure until they say something concrete about it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

LaserPrinter69 posted:

My WAG is evidence of infiltration into infrastructure since it's stupid easy to do. But it's not a one way road... you can bet we've already done the same and have our finger on the button just waiting for an excuse to shut down a power grid or cause industrial equipment to destroy itself.

Luckily, there is some precedent for providing funding to decommission nuclear weapons in foreign countries.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Whatever it is, it needs to be taken seriously. Turner is the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee; he must be highly intelligent to be chosen for that job.

So it's new pictures of Hunter's dick?
They think it's a photo of a nuclear warhead but it's just another picture of Hunter's junk.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I find it weird, though, that this was made broadly public. I'm not seeing how intel on foreign affairs needs to be broadcast to the general populace.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

I find it weird, though, that this was made broadly public. I'm not seeing how intel on foreign affairs needs to be broadcast to the general populace.

if its russia related, it think its probably some cold warrior types trying to push johnson into backing ukraine poo poo.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

burnishedfume posted:

I may be the one misreading here, but I read "destabilizing military capabilities" as "military capabilities that cause destabilization", not that Russia is about to get super destabilized. Though it's hard to say for sure until they say something concrete about it.

That's how I read it as well, so Russia having the knife to our throats somewhere? What else can they own at this point?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bird food bathtub posted:

It's coming from this pack of assclowns, so the immediate default reaction needs to be "What are they lying about now?"

Personally I'm betting on this being OMG BORDER IN CRISIS CARAVANS OF FENTANYL ARE ON THE WAY RIGHT NOW EXPECTED TO ARRIVE IN NOVEMBER BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID.

A migrant caravan wouldn't be classified.

Whatever it is, it has now been passed out to all Senators and Congressmen. It's only a matter of time before it becomes declassified or someone leaks details to the NYT.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1757836732911767903

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zoux posted:

You got both sides (>_>) saying it's something so it's probably not the Fentanyl MS-13 Spec Ops Zetas coming to perform illegal abortions in south Texas

https://twitter.com/alexbward/status/1757824018000888047

Last time there was an "it," it became "Ginger," and then it killed its inventor. It was not supposed to be destabilizing.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
We already know about the giant nuke torpedo, and the nuke-propelled cruise missile. So the only thing that occurs to me that would be novel enough to warrant this much noise would be a nuclear satellite aka literally Goldeneye.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
May be tied to the Russian diversion of starlink systems.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

yeah, maybe elmo has been selling to russia on the downlow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ErinBanco/status/1757842502118191406

Ok it's aliens again. Russian aliens.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

Unlikely, that has enough public information that they could openly discuss it without compromising sources and methods. It must represent something we have no credible parallel construction for. For example you could gag order starlink and backdate a subpoena for the metadata on usage near the front to talk about the sanctions busting (and the downright criminality of not whitelisting with the geo fencing, fash simping today that musk is).

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 14, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The House Intel Committee and Gang of 8 was supposed to get a secret briefing on this tomorrow before they let the rest of congress know, but the House Intelligence committee apparently announced it early.

https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1757819685762912652

All that is public so far is:

- Not an immediate threat or cause for concern.
- It is confirmation/proof of the existence of something that could be massively destabilizing to the U.S. and many other countries. It is not specific to one single country.
- It is a "foreign threat" that some news outlets are reporting is related to Russia.
- Some people are reporting it has to do with cyberwarfare/satellites, but that isn't confirmed.
- They promise it is not aliens.

Democratic members of the committee stressing that it is a serious issue, but not an immediate concern.

quote:

“People should not panic — that is unequivocal. People should not panic,” said Rep. Jim Himes, D-Conn., ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee.

Turner “is right to highlight this issue, but it’s so sensitive that he is right now not publicly discussing it,” Himes told reporters. “And I don’t want people thinking that martians are landing or that your Wednesday is going to be ruined. But it is something that the Congress and the administration does need to address in the medium to long run."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet it's anti-satellite weaponry now; there's been rumbling about that before too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ukraine did recently claim that Russian forces had access to Starlink. That doesn't necessarily mean SpaceX knowingly sold it to them for that purpose. Starlink terminals are just specialized telecom devices and could easily be stolen or bought under false pretenses. SpaceX is probably smart enough not to intentionally violate sanctions even if Musk personally may not be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If Russia starts messing with GPS satellites, then I am never going to be able to find my way to any location that is more than 20 minutes away from my house again.