Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
The PO never set up mail forwarding and every year I get a bunch of retirement stuff in the mail for them despite sending it back return to sender. The most recent batch I sent back was then returned to me for some reason. I'm tempted to write deceased on it and see if that finally gets it to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I still get some retirement stuff for my PO once a year and I just chuck it in the trash now

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I still get some retirement stuff for my PO once a year and I just chuck it in the trash now

I'm 6 years in and still occasionally get insurance stuff and power bills/notices/whatever from their (former?) beach house. I used to mark it all and send it back, but at this point it goes right in the bin.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 14, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My Gary as far as I can tell never cleaned the gutters and at the beginning of the rainy season I scooped out probably 70 gallons of literally fermenting leaf sludge because of course that's what's left up there. I've never been to Scotland but it's pretty close to what I've seen pictures describing a peat big

Anyways we had probably the biggest wind storm in years and it blew all the brown/dead redwood/cedar "leaves" on to my roof and they're in the gutter and it's basically full now (but fluffy and draining, instead of packed condensed?) I figured at the start of winter 98% of leaves had already fallen but due to the wind storm the gutters are full now again

Anyways TL;DR how often am I expected to clean out the gutters in an average year? I thought it was just annually but there's two mature redwoods and two mature oaks 20' from my house

GlyphGryph posted:

When I finish my plumbing project (was supposed to be done yesterday, but I'm down with the flu and also

/Reads the thread title and wonders if it's only the flu

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I get a poo poo load of Viking Cruises advertisements from our PO

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I don't get any mail for the PO, just 2-3 owners ago.

I also used SW Emerald for my bed/bath and have been really happy with how it came out. I got more coverage than expected out of it and it covered quite well. I also used Kilz underneath. The only defects are from my lovely mud/patch jobs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hadlock posted:

My Gary as far as I can tell never cleaned the gutters and at the beginning of the rainy season I scooped out probably 70 gallons of literally fermenting leaf sludge because of course that's what's left up there. I've never been to Scotland but it's pretty close to what I've seen pictures describing a peat big

Anyways we had probably the biggest wind storm in years and it blew all the brown/dead redwood/cedar "leaves" on to my roof and they're in the gutter and it's basically full now (but fluffy and draining, instead of packed condensed?) I figured at the start of winter 98% of leaves had already fallen but due to the wind storm the gutters are full now again

Anyways TL;DR how often am I expected to clean out the gutters in an average year? I thought it was just annually but there's two mature redwoods and two mature oaks 20' from my house

That depends on the trees in your area and the weather, check your gutters and roof periodically so that you can get a sense for what to expect. It sounds like your house probably needs the gutters checked routinely during the fall and spring. My house's gutters need multiple cleanings during the fall and at least 1 in the spring

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cosmic gumbo posted:

I'm tempted to write deceased on it and see if that finally gets it to stop.

It doesn't, I did that on my PO's dead fuckshit husband. Still get his AARP/AAA/insurance mail. Like Motronic, it goes straight in the recycling now.

Verman posted:

It's the prime example of you get what you pay for. If you told me I would be paying that much per gallon I would have poo poo myself.

1000% agreed. I blinked at the price first time, don't even pay it any mind now.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Motronic posted:

I'm 6 years in and still occasionally get insurance stuff and power bills/notices/whatever from their (former?) beach house. I used to mark it all and send it back, but at this point it goes right in the bin.

For about 6 months I forward it to prior owner, then for a year or so I start marking stuff as "no longer at address" and jamming it back in the mailbox. Then it starts going in the trash.

The last person I sold a house to though .... they kept a christmas present a relative sent to my kid! Not that long after we sold! gently caress that guy! It was ~year afterwards when we figured it out, the relative asked "how did your kid like that thing?", and I was so close to driving down there and banging on their door to shame them.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Baddog posted:

For about 6 months I forward it to prior owner, then for a year or so I start marking stuff as "no longer at address" and jamming it back in the mailbox. Then it starts going in the trash.

The last person I sold a house to though .... they kept a christmas present a relative sent to my kid! Not that long after we sold! gently caress that guy! It was ~year afterwards when we figured it out, the relative asked "how did your kid like that thing?", and I was so close to driving down there and banging on their door to shame them.

The real estate agent of the PO lives in our neighborhood on another street that coincidentally has the same number as our house. A Christmas present for my son, addressed to my wife's maiden name from her brother, was delivered to their house before Christmas but we didn't even know it was coming until the post holiday roundup when my brother in law realized his package had been delivered weeks ago. The only proof I had it went to their house was a tiny, blurry UPS picture that looked like their garage and car but with nothing more definitive than that we didn't want to knock on their door and ask about old packages. I instead did the passive aggressive thing and posted the picture on the neighborhood facebook group and asked if anyone received a package addressed to my wife accidentally. A few days later the real estate agent dropped it off without ringing the doorbell.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hadlock posted:

Oh poo poo, I hadn't even made the connection but the timing does add up, doesn't it!? Lmfao if I actually caught something from the sewage.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just in case you were not aware, here's a link to a Sherwin Williams coupon that will stack on top of the sales that are continuously running: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/special-offers/sherwin/coupon/color-detail-pages
Link auto updates with a new expiration date all the time, so add it to your bookmarks. Even at the best sales rate (40% off) the good stuff is always more than $50/gal, my local store has no issue scanning the barcode off my phone every time I go in. This reminds me, Emerald is 40% off until the 19th and I need more trim paint...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Just in case you were not aware, here's a link to a Sherwin Williams coupon that will stack on top of the sales that are continuously running: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/special-offers/sherwin/coupon/color-detail-pages
Link auto updates with a new expiration date all the time, so add it to your bookmarks. Even at the best sales rate (40% off) the good stuff is always more than $50/gal, my local store has no issue scanning the barcode off my phone every time I go in. This reminds me, Emerald is 40% off until the 19th and I need more trim paint...

Still worth it, given the junk at Home Depot is gonna run you $40-50 per gallon anyway. Pay for quality if you can afford it / it's a regularly-used or exposed area. I probably wouldn't paint a closet with something nice, but given I just had to spend $160 to finish my daughter's room using HD "Behr Single Coat Paint" (narrator: It took multiple coats anyway even over easy colors), I'm rapidly transitioning to Team Good Paint.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 14, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sundae posted:

Still worth it, given the junk at Home Depot is gonna run you $40-50 per gallon anyway. Pay for quality if you can afford it / it's a regularly-used or exposed area. I probably wouldn't paint a closet with something nice, but given I just had to spend $160 to finish my daughter's room using HD "Behr Single Coat Paint" (narrator: It took multiple coats anyway even over easy colors), I'm rapidly transitioning to Team Good Paint.

Oh definitely, you get what you pay for. I just meant even at the best sales rate, the $10 off $50 can still be used if you're buying by the gallon.

I used the cheapo Behr ceiling flat white paint (its like $30 for a 2 gallon giant bucket) for inside my closets and that was ehhhhh, fine I guess. It shows every mark so I will probably have to repaint a hallway closet that is currently the bathroom storage at some point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh poo poo, I hadn't even made the connection but the timing does add up, doesn't it!? Lmfao if I actually caught something from the sewage.

I'm not sure what the signs are for sepsis but I think inflamed veins is one of them. Keep an eye on that poo poo stuff

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sherwin Williams chat:

When we moved into our current house our 2 daughers decided to share the master bedroom (giving us an office/guest room) and we let them choose a two-tone paint job for the walls, with a main color and an accent color on the bottom quarter-ish of the walls. We used Sherwin Williams paint and painted the main color a little farther down than it needed to be, then ran tape along the wall and painted the accent color from the floor to the tape.

This left an itty bitty ridge in the paint where the tape line was after I removed the tape. Like, you couldn't see it but you could just feel it as a bump if you ran your finger down the wall.

Several years later, the girls are old enough to each need their own room, so my wife and I move into their shared room.

We of course decide to repaint, so as I'm prepping I decide to be a little anal and sand down the little ridge where the colors met, thinking I'd just need a hand sander and some 200-ish grit paper.

Nope.

I had to use my orbital sander and put some effort into it to sand off enough of the SW paint to get rid of the ridge. And it's not like I was getting down to the primer. Even with a goddamn power sander I was only getting maybe half of the paint off the wall.

TLDR: Use the good stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

stealie72 posted:

Sherwin Williams chat:

When we moved into our current house our 2 daughers decided to share the master bedroom (giving us an office/guest room) and we let them choose a two-tone paint job for the walls, with a main color and an accent color on the bottom quarter-ish of the walls. We used Sherwin Williams paint and painted the main color a little farther down than it needed to be, then ran tape along the wall and painted the accent color from the floor to the tape.

This left an itty bitty ridge in the paint where the tape line was after I removed the tape. Like, you couldn't see it but you could just feel it as a bump if you ran your finger down the wall.

Several years later, the girls are old enough to each need their own room, so my wife and I move into their shared room.

We of course decide to repaint, so as I'm prepping I decide to be a little anal and sand down the little ridge where the colors met, thinking I'd just need a hand sander and some 200-ish grit paper.

Nope.

I had to use my orbital sander and put some effort into it to sand off enough of the SW paint to get rid of the ridge. And it's not like I was getting down to the primer. Even with a goddamn power sander I was only getting maybe half of the paint off the wall.

TLDR: Use the good stuff.

How bad a person am I that when the 200 grit failed my next step would have just been to run a bit of joint compound over it and call it good?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

How bad a person am I

One of us. One of us.

Embrace your inner Gary.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ugh speaking of previous owners mail ... I keep getting mail from seemingly all of my previous owners. I've been at my house for 3 years now and I still get mail for at least 5 people and a small business or two including the old lady who was basically there since the 70s. I get all sorts of retirement statements, tax docs, unemployment docs, W2s etc. Its crazy that these people haven't forwarded or corrected their addresses. I get that poo poo happens from time to time but something like taxes or unemployment you think you would want that stuff coming to the proper address.

I put my last name on the inside of our mailbox and that didn't seem to make a difference. If they don't care about it, I really don't care about it. Sometimes I'll write on the mail "return to sender, update address" "no longer at this address, please update" without much luck. Lately I've just been trashing it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Verman posted:

I put my last name on the inside of our mailbox and

Maybe the mailman thinks your calling him vermin every time he opens the box, and you can't spell

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Verman posted:

Ugh speaking of previous owners mail ... I keep getting mail from seemingly all of my previous owners. I've been at my house for 3 years now and I still get mail for at least 5 people and a small business or two including the old lady who was basically there since the 70s. I get all sorts of retirement statements, tax docs, unemployment docs, W2s etc. Its crazy that these people haven't forwarded or corrected their addresses. I get that poo poo happens from time to time but something like taxes or unemployment you think you would want that stuff coming to the proper address.

I put my last name on the inside of our mailbox and that didn't seem to make a difference. If they don't care about it, I really don't care about it. Sometimes I'll write on the mail "return to sender, update address" "no longer at this address, please update" without much luck. Lately I've just been trashing it.

I get misdirected mail...typically either my next-door neighbor, or a house around the corner that has the same number as mine. It seems to happen most frequently when there is a lot of mail (typically after Halloween, when tree holocaust accelerates due to holiday solicitations), and it's clear that they're sorting by address at the facility so it's all bundled together - my mail along with others. They also tend to have temp or substitute carriers as well.

Been in my house since 1992, so all the POs are dead by now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol after more than a month of storing an entire bedroom set of furniture in our master (which we rejected at delivery, only for the crew to pretend they suddenly didn’t know English and leave) Ashley is finally picking up all their crap and giving us a refund

It’s a shame, we really liked the set. They just couldn’t deliver a single piece out of a set of six that wasn’t significantly and obviously damaged

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It took me a few years to stop getting all the previous owners poo poo, and it took some extreme measures:

* Marking everything "Moved, left no address for months"
* Unsubscribing from any catalog that got delivered (usually involving emailing customer service)
* In one case, reaching out to TMobile executive customer support because I was tired of getting their old bills.

The mailman now passive aggressively circles "or current resident" on stuff he delivers that isn't addressed to us now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

devicenull posted:

The mailman now passive aggressively circles "or current resident" on stuff he delivers that isn't addressed to us now.

I really wish there was a way to proactively opt out of "or current resident" mailings. I really don't want all that crap cluttering my garbage. Maybe make a carve out for political campaigns if absolutely necessary but christ just make the deluge of crap that's going straight from my mailbox into a landfill stop.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol after more than a month of storing an entire bedroom set of furniture in our master (which we rejected at delivery, only for the crew to pretend they suddenly didn’t know English and leave) Ashley is finally picking up all their crap and giving us a refund

It’s a shame, we really liked the set. They just couldn’t deliver a single piece out of a set of six that wasn’t significantly and obviously damaged

My twin had similar experiences with Ashley. Us on the other hand had a great experience and even used the replacement warranty for our furniture that totally got scuffed by the kids crawling all over and stuff totally not our move. We've been at this address for many years why do you ask Ashley?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I really wish there was a way to proactively opt out of "or current resident" mailings. I really don't want all that crap cluttering my garbage. Maybe make a carve out for political campaigns if absolutely necessary but christ just make the deluge of crap that's going straight from my mailbox into a landfill stop.

You can do it sender by sender by telling them it makes you too horny, there was a supreme court case about it and everything

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

Gutter guards are worth their weight in gold :hmmyes:

George H.W. oval office posted:

I get a poo poo load of Viking Cruises advertisements from our PO

RIP... those will never stop.

I will say their Rhine cruise was kinda awesome with a free international airfare sale. Got to spend a few days doing our own thing in Amsterdam, and then go see a lot of stuff at a leisurely pace. Never been on any other cruises, so I don't know how it compares, but it was a very white glove experience, (even if we were one of the youngest couples on the ship by 1-2 decades). With the food, lodging, and transit all included it wound up being a pretty good deal imho

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

We just renewed our mail forwarding from our old address for another year because we’re still seeing forwarded documents from places where we 100% already updated our address. Big orgs are very bad at data management, like I think different departments aren’t getting the memo. So I can kind of see why POs might give up?

:sigh: I hope this won’t turn into an indefinite annual expense for us…

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I rented a condo that had central mailboxes, but multiple trash/recycling locations. The paper recycling wheely bin that was next to the mailboxes was always overflowing with junk mail, while the others were nearly empty.

Our neighborhood has different numbers on each street. Eg street A has 100s, street B has 200s, up to 2100s. So you can't have a "right number/wrong street" situation. They still deliver stuff to the wrong street.

One kid on Halloween said "why do you have 1234 on your house?" That's my house number. "But that's not a number!" A future USPS worker I'm sure.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like all the junk mail I get because it's pretty much exactly the amount of kindling i need to go through in a week, I hope it never stops. Especially since most of it comes in the forms of weird psuedo newspapers with only ads in them, that stuff burns well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

I put my last name on the inside of our mailbox and that didn't seem to make a difference. If they don't care about it, I really don't care about it.

This is extremely postal worker dependent. At my old house, if it didn't match a known name, they'd bin it.

I'm about to hit three years officially in the new house and I still get some of the PO's mail, but it just goes straight in the trash now. I do still have to pay attention because probably once or twice a month they stick one of my neighbors' mail in my box instead.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I like all the junk mail I get because it's pretty much exactly the amount of kindling i need to go through in a week, I hope it never stops. Especially since most of it comes in the forms of weird psuedo newspapers with only ads in them, that stuff burns well.

same. managed to get an old preway fireplace for way too cheap off facebook and now I’m having fires every other night while it’s nice out

even when it isn’t lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That rules I would 100% put that on my back patio.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gotta love how mortgage servicers wait to pay insurance premiums until midway through the day that it's due. Big "it's someone else's problem if something goes wrong" energy.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh yeah my wife gets worried when she's sees it being due.. I'm like whatever it'll always get paid just slow

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Paintchat, for southwest-dwellers, Dunn Edwards also makes excellent paint with solids % equivalent to the premium national brands, but it tends to run a bit cheaper.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Oh yeah my wife gets worried when she's sees it being due.. I'm like whatever it'll always get paid just slow

I have had two different mortgage servicers completely miss a bill deadline

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Paint-chat: Gonna redo my entire house in Citadel miniature paints next, complete with keeping the idiotic names.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

right arm posted:

same. managed to get an old preway fireplace for way too cheap off facebook and now I’m having fires every other night while it’s nice out

even when it isn’t lol

Can you put one of those on a wood deck or does it need to go on the ground? Maybe with some cement pavers underneath? I had no idea I needed this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would not generally recommend putting any kind of wood fires on a wood deck, even on legs. Although with most elevated chimneas (assuming that one has legs behind the snow) it's not that bad so long as you put some sort of fire stone or fire pad under it and keep an eye on the area, as long as you're vigilant about monitoring the nearby areas for damage.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 15, 2024