Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I will freely admit to being Bad At Videogames but something feels off about chucking grenades in bug nests.
It's like there's a lip at the back grenades can stick to and not drop in.

Don't make me get any closer, I'm scared!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Inzombiac posted:

I will freely admit to being Bad At Videogames but something feels off about chucking grenades in bug nests.

Super Earth did not train you to be a coward, soldier.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but I kick people who run off solo in my game, if you want to play by yourself then play solo.

Seems pretty harsh. The only time I've kicked a player is when they called the dropship while I was across the map with a couple dozen samples.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Early on, like pre-level 10 stuff, the single greatest upgrade you can get is probably the rocket launcher. It only has a 30 second cooldown and it has 2 shots, and your biggest problem before you get really good gear is dealing with heavy targets. 2 shots with the rocket launcher can take out a Charger most of the time, and if it doesn't you are probably ready to call in another 2.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but I kick people who run off solo in my game, if you want to play by yourself then play solo.

You'd kick half my group, we regularly have someone split off to clear out a nest or grab a side objective while everyone else continues the rolling fight over to the main objectives. You're just loving yourself out of xp/medals/samples/super credits.

Mulva posted:

Early on, like pre-level 10 stuff, the single greatest upgrade you can get is probably the rocket launcher. It only has a 30 second cooldown and it has 2 shots, and your biggest problem before you get really good gear is dealing with heavy targets. 2 shots with the rocket launcher can take out a Charger most of the time, and if it doesn't you are probably ready to call in another 2.

The pro tip honestly is not to even bother shooting two. Shoot the leg, swap to primary, magdump it and it'll go down. Then if you have two chargers you can just do it twice.

We had people complaining that antitank wasn't effective enough against chargers until we realised that they go down incredibly quickly to the legshot strategy. If you desperately need it down you fire at the same leg twice with AT but its almost a waste.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Has anyone used the HMG emplacement?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Obviously if you are playing with friends, do whatever you want but if I’m leading pubbies then running to the other side of the map is a boot, most of the time they just keep dying over and over again or they collect a bunch of samples and die on the other side of the map and spend the rest of the mission trying and dying to get back there.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

My dive partner uses it religiously. It hits hard and has lots of ammo, but rotates slowly. If you put it somewhere smart during extraction, it's gold.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lord Packinham posted:

Obviously if you are playing with friends, do whatever you want but if I’m leading pubbies then running to the other side of the map is a boot, most of the time they just keep dying over and over again or they collect a bunch of samples and die on the other side of the map and spend the rest of the mission trying and dying to get back there.

Yeah I won't go so far as to kick people doing this but this is usually how it goes in my experience as well. Or I'll peel off to go support the person running around on their own and they die while I'm going there and get reinforced by the rest of the team then I'm out on my own.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Lord Packinham posted:

Depending on the player. On hard or lower Ill rambo it up taking out small/medium nests while the team does the main objective or go around looking for samples.

The lower difficulties, you dont need an entire 4 man to complete the objectives. To save time you should be splitting up to do side objectives.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Mulva posted:

You can 2 shot Titans with the EAT if you hit them in the mouth while they're spitting/getting ready to spit. The EAT is a very powerful unlock and it should probably be the first thing new players buy.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Hey, I'm looking to pick this game up because it looks like a ton of fun and blast space creatures with goons sounds like a great time. I'm just wondering if the anticheat that comes with it is something to be concerned about? I've read a few articles about it and I'm trying to gauge how much of it is a legit concern for PC safety and how much is just people overreacting

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Doesn't hit hard enough to be worth the stratagem slot imho

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Inzombiac posted:

Agreed, the hit box seems tighter than the deathstar exhaust port but it's probably by design so you have to get up close.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Hey, I'm looking to pick this game up because it looks like a ton of fun and blast space creatures with goons sounds like a great time. I'm just wondering if the anticheat that comes with it is something to be concerned about? I've read a few articles about it and I'm trying to gauge how much of it is a legit concern for PC safety and how much is just people overreacting

it reminds me that I played maple story one time so that's pretty heinous imo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

skaianDestiny posted:

Super Earth did not train you to be a coward, soldier.

Dunno about you but my training was only 3 minutes long.

I've taken shits that last longer!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

brevity is the soul of democracy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arabian Jesus posted:

It's apparently a jankety rear end anticheat typically used for the jankiest of korean mmo's but I can tell you I would not know it was there if I didn't see people bitching about it so much. I guess it depends on what you're potentially concerned with. There is an issue affecting a fairly high number of players (1 in 150 they said) where antivirus programs are flagging it and causing the game to not launch at all but they said it's a whitelist thing and they're working with the vendor to fix it so :shrug:

The claws are really out for this game for some reason between the people saying the anticheat is terrible or the cash shop is predatory. There's real tangible issues with their servers, client crashes, and balancing stuff but for me personally other than the frustrating matchmaking it's been fine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

dogstile posted:

The pro tip honestly is not to even bother shooting two. Shoot the leg, swap to primary, magdump it and it'll go down. Then if you have two chargers you can just do it twice.

We had people complaining that antitank wasn't effective enough against chargers until we realised that they go down incredibly quickly to the legshot strategy. If you desperately need it down you fire at the same leg twice with AT but its almost a waste.

Yeah, but sometimes poo poo happens like people walking in front of you, geometry, misclicks, and other excuses for being bad at the game. When that happens, you still have a second chance! It's a massively efficient weapon choice.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

You've probably taken scarier shits than closing a bug nest too!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Typical Pubbie posted:

Doesn't hit hard enough to be worth the stratagem slot imho

I gave the HMG emplacement a shot too, and it doesn't feel like it does more damage than the starter LMG. Also the turning speed is just painful. You'd be better off with the chaingun turret or several other options that don't tie you down.

I'm not sure how the shared daily missions progression works. I ran a couple bot missions last night with people that already completed their strider kills, and it seemed like I wasn't getting shared progression anymore. Only got 8 towards the mission, and I'm pretty sure I personally shot more than 8. I suspect the shared progress is only shared if other people also have the mission active.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Jesus Christ, y'all were not kidding about Malevelon Creek being Space Vietnam. Every single drop there has instantly put us in the poo poo and things do not improve from there.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Hellbombs need some tweaks. It should not be this finnicky to do a destroy location objective. We had a few games just now where first on one objective the goddamn strategem pokeball couldnt be placed anywhere actually near the tower - it would just roll infinitely. And the closest actually deployable location was 20ft away from the tower which obviously means its out of range of a HELL BOMB.

Then during silo destruction the bomb despawned twice - meaning we called it in, armed it, ran away - and then nothing happened and the boom poofed. Took like 5 minutes of calling, arming, running and trying to see if we could destroy this one poor silo.

I feel like if it's a localized strategem specific to destruction objectives - it should guaranteed destroy said objectives if you place it anywhere within the call ring.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You've probably taken scarier shits than closing a bug nest too!

I was going to argue but then I remembered a decent amount of the calories I had in my 20s came from PBR.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

1stGear posted:

Jesus Christ, y'all were not kidding about Malevelon Creek being Space Vietnam. Every single drop there has instantly put us in the poo poo and things do not improve from there.

Yeah I love it lol, its a hoot

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I love Malevolent Creek for group missions, but for soloing I like the other planet. Wandering a bombed out wasteland alone with an autocannon resting on your shoulder is such a trip, and it's easier to spot POIs on the open ground.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 14, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Scout walkers are very fun to fight. You have like three thought processes.

Am I in front? Yes. Do i have a heavy weapon? Yes.
Good kill it.

Am i in front? Yes. Do I have a heavy weapon? No.
Ah gently caress.

And finally the best one.
Am I behind it? Lol this thing is a joke i domed the pilot with a pistol.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 14, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I will continue to drag newbies into bug Helldives forever because it just proves that Helldivers can, indeed, Helldive.

Against the robots, though? That's maybe too much for someone fresh out of the tutorial.

----

In other news: 4 people with Arc Throwers is... interesting? I wouldn't say perfect but it has some potential especially vs bugs - if you synchronize and work together, you melt chargers extremely quickly - and it has the added benefit of murdering everything near them. It takes quite a bit of coordination and can turn into friendly fire nightmare, though, if said charger is close to a team mate, for example.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks to whoever posted about assigning L1 for quick grenade, I've been racking a ton of grenade kills since then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The real pantshitting moment in Robonam' was when the dreadnaught and tanks rolled in

I had one EAT

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sometimes. I had one for kill 3 chargers yesterday and only my kills counted.

Also worth noting that it only counts random charger spawns and not the scripted chargers for the "Kill Chargers" objectives.

skaianDestiny posted:

Bandire posted:

I gave the HMG emplacement a shot too, and it doesn't feel like it does more damage than the starter LMG. Also the turning speed is just painful. You'd be better off with the chaingun turret or several other options that don't tie you down.

It does A LOT more damage than the starter LMG and is a very stable firing platform - it will absolutely shred through light to medium chaff enemies and will put the hurt on larger enemies if you hit exposed/weak spots. The trick is placing it properly, though and that is a real challenge. Once you get a feel for that, a well-placed HMG Emplacement is worth its weight in gold. I imagine that it synergizes very well with the deployed shield bubble...

(One lesson I've learned - when you're extracting, wait after starting the extraction to see where the spawns are coming from, then place accordingly. On lower difficulties, enemies will generally only come at you from that direction. Pick a spot that has a good field of view with relatively few obstructions, and get to shreddin').

Lord Packinham posted:

Quick answer: It's wrong.

Longer answer: This game has enough cancer from players TKing you or kicking you for extremely spurious reasons, don't be that guy. The game has a lot of ways to teach players to stick with the group if they can't grok it solo (especially if the map has a Stalker Lair), and the players who can grok it solo are goldmines of requisition/super credits/medals/XP because they're helping to get you through the mission much more quickly and gathering resources the group might not have had time otherwise to get.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 14, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The real pantshitting moment in Robonam' was when the dreadnaught and tanks rolled in

I had one EAT

Yeah, I really wasn’t expecting loving tanks when I rolled into my first Bot mission coming from bugs. Rounding the corner and seeing one pull out of a base and start to slowly aim at me short circuited my brain for a few seconds trying to process it because I’m the one who is supposed to have the overwhelming explosive power in missions

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Kicking a player for being too far away from you is kinda funny in a game where half your deaths will be from friendly fire.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Reasons to kick someone:
-Very purposefully teamkilling
-Being toxic in chat

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Who are all these super competent commando pubbies that you guys get? At 7 or 8, they just seem to wonder off and die.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Lord Packinham posted:

Who are all these super competent commando pubbies that you guys get? At 7 or 8, they just seem to wonder off and die.

Throw their reinforcement ball at the tank in front of you.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lord Packinham posted:

If you kick people who die off on their own that's one thing. Just doing it instantly means you're just being stupid.

blahz posted:

the first orbital strike is pretty great, and can even destroy the radar station building

Auto cannon also destroys this from any distance you can see it. You shoot the big round TV screen on the thing. Then it falls and blows up the tower.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just experimented with moving stratagem buttons to arrow keys and I like it way better. Also better for my macros created in iCue.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Away all Goats posted:

So now that the launch woes and initial hype has died down, how is this for someone who loved the first Helldivers?

Really enjoyed the gunplay, strategem system and variety of enemies in the first game.

I think my only complaint was the massive difference in difficulty between 2 player coop and 3 player coop. It really felt like the game was balanced for either 2 players or 4 players, and nothing else.
I take it back. I forgot about the glacially paced post-game results screens that are completely unskippable. I don't know why it's so dang slow!

Played a few missions last night and had a blast. It really is a 3D update to the first helldivers which great. They even managed to translate the aiming mechanics by divorcing your aim from the barrelsight. Feels like friendly fire is way less of a threat because of the 3rd dimension and not having to share a screen anymore. Didn't stop me from walking into a few airstrikes/land mines though. I hope they balance the weapons a little better this time so like 90% of endgame players aren't all using the laser weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fishstick posted:

Hellbombs need some tweaks. It should not be this finnicky to do a destroy location objective. We had a few games just now where first on one objective the goddamn strategem pokeball couldnt be placed anywhere actually near the tower - it would just roll infinitely. And the closest actually deployable location was 20ft away from the tower which obviously means its out of range of a HELL BOMB.

Then during silo destruction the bomb despawned twice - meaning we called it in, armed it, ran away - and then nothing happened and the boom poofed. Took like 5 minutes of calling, arming, running and trying to see if we could destroy this one poor silo.

I feel like if it's a localized strategem specific to destruction objectives - it should guaranteed destroy said objectives if you place it anywhere within the call ring.

So, i've had a few times where a charger has followed me in so i orbital railgun it. It set off the objective to destroy the base too, despite it still standing.

Maybe bring that along just in case.