Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I'm reminded of that goon commenting on the husband and wife's romance from Rose is Rose feeling perfunctory. Mark and Cherry spend so much time away from each other with their own milquetoast adventures that this Valentines strip trying to tell us that they're a loving couple is fake as hell.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I'd forgive quite a lot if he's on the verge of killing them both

I'm not sure why Luann is competing for being better for Piro. One is Piro's cousin so them hanging out and doing fun activities is just normal. Luann's interest in Piro is more romantic in nature, so she comes across as a weirdo for getting jealous here.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Edit 'your goth soulmate' and replace it with 'a corporate bootlicker' and it'd perfectly describe Dethany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Saoshyant posted:

Does anyone know if that story was posted in a past iteration of this thread?

Doesn't look like anyone was posting Val at the time.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Does anyone know if that story was posted in a past iteration of this thread?

Kennel posted:

Doesn't look like anyone was posting Val at the time.

I think I have the modern Val strips going back to 2014, so I'll check tonight to see if I've got the 2017 part to this storyline and post it if so.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 13, 2002)

I wonder if this is supposed to be an "all interior decorators are gay" joke.

Thorni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/13/04

Brenda Starr 8/18-20/52

Smokey Stover 10/11/59

I am unreasonably annoyed that Holman has arbitrarily changed the mayor's name from Dinkdipper to Zinkdipper. I guess he thought it sounded funnier with the Z.

Everyday Movies 3/30/37

"Hello, Momma! We're making history!"

CATFIGHT! 2/15-17/43

Closer Than We Think! 10/11/59

I think I first encountered this concept in Neuromancer, with its "Sprawl" running from Boston to Washington.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 14, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

I wonder if this is supposed to be an "all interior decorators are gay" joke.

Thorni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/13/04

Brenda Starr 8/18-20/52

Smokey Stover 10/11/59

I am unreasonably annoyed that Holman has arbitrarily changed the mayor's name from Dinkdipper to Zinkdipper. I guess he thought it sounded funnier with the Z.

Everyday Movies 3/30/37

"Hello, Momma! We're making history!"

CATFIGHT! 2/15/43

I think I first encountered this concept in Neuromancer, with its "Sprawl" running from Boston to Washington.
I just realized that Neuromancer is 40 years old this year.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Medenmath posted:

I think I have the modern Val strips going back to 2014, so I'll check tonight to see if I've got the 2017 part to this storyline and post it if so.

Actually looks like you posted latter half of that story:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803681&userid=32921

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 27, 1936)

Peanuts (February 16, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (November 4-6, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 18, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

A very unfortunate past-and-present pairing today.

Out Our Way (December 30, 1943-January 1, 1944)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 14, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Genuinely Shocked That Today's Strip Isn't A Saccharine Morsel of Chaste Romantic Drivel

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

This kind of smart, walkable, mixed-use urbanism is illegal to build in most American cities.

THORN, January 31-February 3, 1983

Note 12:

quote:

Blank Strip
This blank (but dated and signed) strip was done to draw out the uncertainty of the moment after the Dragon appears to have blown up the Valley, Is everyone all right? Are they gone? Is the comic over? Lantern readers had to wait overnight to find out what happened, and finding the strip empty would have kept the tension going. Reading it in this collection may have taken a little of the oomph away because it's possible to see immediately that the characters are back in the next strip.
Hopefully it still added a kick to the event.
Y'all presumably got paid for that lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

I don’t know why I have this, but I’ll never forget to post it:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

This kind of smart, walkable, mixed-use urbanism is illegal to build in most American cities.

THORN, January 31-February 3, 1983

Note 12:

Y'all presumably got paid for that lol

It is interesting to watch this strip transition from a gag-a-day to a serialized story. It would feel kind of weird to see the characters talking about tv or Richard Nixon, even though it was probably only 5-10 strips ago that they were doing stuff like that. There’s a consistent world developing now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The merchant who FAFO in Val is wondering if he can just disappear like the rear end in a top hat who chased the horse girl.

Crankshaft: how many weeks can we milk this "old rear end in a top hat destroys someone's sculpture?"

Sigh. I loving DESPISE the jokes about female mantids always eating their mates. You know who else has dangerous sex? loving kingsnakes. Hognose snakes. Lots of species of spiders. Praying mantises do not always eat their mates after sex! gently caress, they will eat each other no matter what, they're predators! So will lots of other animals, it's why you separate babies from each other and house adults separate.

This "joke" is Holbrook levels of hackery and reminds me of the "it must be free!" poo poo rear end in a top hat customers tell cashiers when something doesn't ring up.

edit: is the Charon stand-in in Olive supposed to have Vitiligo or tattoos? I'd think Vitiligo?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 14, 2024

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

For some reason the phrasing of "here, take one of these with you" cracked me up good. Mexikid Stories owns.

My grandmother used to do this with my dad in 1950's Colombia. If she got a notion that her brothers were going out on the town, she'd have my dad bundled in his coat and waiting right at the door when they were about to leave, perfectly excited to spend time with his uncles.

...they still used him to pick up chicks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7IUprPqag&t=17s

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/19/1994)

(1/20/1994)

Ziggy

(9/3/1971)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

davidspackage posted:

lol, that tiny last panel wasn't necessary, but makes it very cute.

It's so utterly unnecessary that I wonder if it's a throwaway panel because some newspaper were giving Nancy a little more room than others. I know they are common on sunday strips, but I never heard of any conditions for a daily.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Oedipus Rex: The Early Years.

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Bok.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I hate saurus.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Bok.

This is fundamentally incorrect; everybody knows that after "Bok. Bok." comes "B'gok." Somebody get Dan a Barnyard See 'n Say

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 01, 1961)

LMAO, I've rode on a camel before, they really do lurch quite a lot.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sigh. I loving DESPISE the jokes about female mantids always eating their mates. You know who else has dangerous sex? loving kingsnakes. Hognose snakes. Lots of species of spiders. Praying mantises do not always eat their mates after sex! gently caress, they will eat each other no matter what, they're predators! So will lots of other animals, it's why you separate babies from each other and house adults separate.
IIRC, the reason female mantids were always eating their mates in the original studies is because the mating pairs were shoved together in an open space under bright lights, whereas mantids preferentially mate in shady enclosed spaces in the wild. It turns out when you make a predator copulate in a highly stressful environment, they're going to display stress behavior, and for mantids that involves mate cannibalism, which makes perfect sense if you consider the goal in such a stressful environment would be to ensure the female and eggs have enough nutrients, and, well. That's also why a lot of spiders have the courting behavior of the male bringing food to the female before they mate?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ronya posted:

I hate saurus.
Does this extend to skinks, slann, and kroxigors too or are you okay with the rest of the lizardmen?

edit:

Cowslips Warren posted:

This "joke" is Holbrook levels of hackery and reminds me of the "it must be free!" poo poo rear end in a top hat customers tell cashiers when something doesn't ring up.
oh no you've identified the ancestor species of Holbrook humour

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

This is fundamentally incorrect; everybody knows that after "Bok. Bok." comes "B'gok." Somebody get Dan a Barnyard See 'n Say

I was just thinking that Bok had better have a chicken’s head when they’re revealed tomorrow.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

My imgur uploader plugin appears to be on the fritz so no Alley Oop or Curtis right now. I'm sure you're all sad.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pairing Thimble Theater with modern Popeye is just cruel, especially when TT is at its best. Maybe we could send this months Sea Hag strips to Randy. It's hard to judge Olive and Popeye: Ghost Investigator since something is happening but at the standard incredibly poor pacing.

amigolupus posted:

I'm reminded of that goon commenting on the husband and wife's romance from Rose is Rose feeling perfunctory. Mark and Cherry spend so much time away from each other with their own milquetoast adventures that this Valentines strip trying to tell us that they're a loving couple is fake as hell.

Jules is arguably the worst writer in the thread so no surprise the dialogue sucks. It feels incredibly stilted and fake because of how often people in Mark Trail announce past references repeatedly. Cherry, it's like that time we met when I fought a bear! I love you so much I could fight a bear about it! I'm so horny I could explode like that boat I blew up!

I'm reminded of a Married With Children running gag where permanent loser Al Bundy announces ahead of time and often that he once scored 4 touchdowns in a single high school football game as the highlight of his life's accomplishments. Those writers could tell jokes and had a sense of comedic timing and Ed O'Neil is a funny actor so it worked pretty well, especially in a setting where you're laughing at how stupid the cast is.

Mark Trail, of course, presents itself sincerely every time it drops these kludges.

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 10/11/59

I assume he was defeated in an election by his similarly named doppelganger, as per cartoon tradition.

quote:

CATFIGHT! 2/15-17/43

For somebody that could casually snap a neck Hippy sure does love her elaborate drawn out kill schemes. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 15, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Drakyn posted:

Does this extend to skinks, slann, and kroxigors too or are you okay with the rest of the lizardmen?
Who could ever hate dear sweet Kroxigor...

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Doomykins posted:

Pairing Thimble Theater with modern Popeye is just cruel, especially when TT is at its best. Maybe we could send this months Sea Hag strips to Randy. It's hard to judge Olive and Popeye: Ghost Investigator since something is happening but at the standard incredibly poor pacing.

he's probably read them, given all the deeplore references. it's just easier to default to your comfort zone when asked to do daily strips, it's a very different kind of challenge

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (June 13-15, 2005)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

There’s a consistent world developing now.

It's kinda funny how Smith never did explain how an apparently modern society like Boneville coexists with a medieval society complete with dragons.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mister Olympus posted:

he's probably read them, given all the deeplore references. it's just easier to default to your comfort zone when asked to do daily strips, it's a very different kind of challenge

I'm losing it at the ridiculous entire upper body angled forward + giant legs stride Sea Hag is doing, as well as ANK ANK for a laugh and her cold blooded eagerness to knife Popeye in the back. She's so wonderfully ridiculous, she deserves much better these days than "Evil, Sarcastic and Banal as a 9-5."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gallows Bird

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's so utterly unnecessary that I wonder if it's a throwaway panel because some newspaper were giving Nancy a little more room than others. I know they are common on sunday strips, but I never heard of any conditions for a daily.

It seems like they were provided by whatever service packaged the strips for republishing by weekly papers.

The extra panels look to mostly be random pictures of characters from the strips, but they do try to connect them from time to time.

Seen in the process:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Angular Cyrus posted:

Seen in the process:

You know what's definitely going to put a stop to the crank calls? Publishing the strip and the phone number again, alongside their "Dear God please do not call us" plea.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I'm with Cooper here. We had a single (mostly broken) chair in "the back" at Sears when I worked there a million years ago, and when someone asked us to check the back, we'd go in there and sit out of sight of the security camera and just chill for a bit before coming out and being like "Nope, sorry. Looks like we're all out of it!"

In The Back is chair time.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
The Wandering Culinarian

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

She literally did. Second sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Unless you're only flying about 20 feet over the building, jumping out when you are right above it means you're going to overshoot. drat it pilot, read Slylock Fox once in a while, huh?