Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Video games ftw

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Timdog in an existential crisis, saw him googling that weird handheld with a crank and crying

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SUNKOS posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1757735209619931367

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1757743775336825075

https://twitter.com/SlySinatraa/status/1757774681732456676

Wow they really can't let Xbox have their moment can they???? Imagine if Timdog just bought a PS5 lol

But seriously Gaben gonna end up with a fleet of yachts bigger than the US navy at this rate

nintendo will be the only console maker next generation

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The AAA industry seems to be having a spot of trouble right now. Maybe they should put games out that dont have real time raytraced beard stubble and NPCs with individual heart beats and make more small fun games like Hi Fi Rush

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

The AAA industry seems to be having a spot of trouble right now. Maybe they should put games out that dont have real time raytraced beard stubble and NPCs with individual heart beats and make more small fun games like Hi Fi Rush

i don't even care about that as much as i just hate every game needing to be the hugest most expansive yet hollow poo poo ever. mario wonder especially drove home that shorter, more focused games that just play really well are very good and aaa devs should make them more often instead of making giant amorphous blob games that are supposed to appeal to everyone and cost hundreds of millions to make

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 14, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:pray:

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Ruffian Price posted:

How did sales of the PlayStation 5 fail to meet expectations if it was supposedly impossible to buy for years

I still find the PlayStation 5 impossible to buy (because it is hideously ugly and has no games)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Crafty posted:

I still find the PlayStation 5 impossible to buy (because it is hideously ugly and has no games)

Also you need a truck to get it home

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now's the time for Atari to release the 28000000

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

From your lips to gods ears, assuming the switch 2 can run at 60fps in 720i mode.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sea of Thieves coming to PS and Switch confirmed

https://x.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1757706751229432317?s=20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

....White?

The Phantom is back???

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Barudak posted:

....White?

The Phantom is back???

It's the cloud!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't even care about that as much as i just hate every game needing to be the hugest most expansive yet hollow poo poo ever. mario wonder especially drove home that shorter, more focused games that just play really well are very good and aaa devs should make them more often instead of making giant amorphous blob games that are supposed to appeal to everyone and cost hundreds of millions to make

Yeah tbh it's fun to have games to show off shiny gfx cards and new console "wow" factors. What sucks is every AAA game from the last ten years or so being homogeneous garbage with monetization built in from the ground up. Game companies see stuff like Elden Ring and rather than go "wow, we should try to make something like that" they go "hmm, clearly we need to incorporate some of these elements into our completely different game because clearly the gamers want x y or z thing"

I guarantee you the next 5 years are going to be filled with game companies chasing putting tits and sex and the ability to romance npcs in their games because of BG3 and ignore everything else that made it such a good game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

No one wants to make games anymore

Crafty posted:

Lazy devs

SUNKOS posted:

https://twitter.com/SlySinatraa/status/1757774681732456676

Wow they really can't let Xbox have their moment can they???? Imagine if Timdog just bought a PS5 lol

My exact order of thoughts

Ruffian Price posted:

How did sales of the PlayStation 5 fail to meet expectations if it was supposedly impossible to buy for years

The PS5 was impossible to get in Spain outside of 800€ (or more) packs with poo poo people didn't want right until early 2023 while a Xbox Series S was easily available in early 2021 and Series X by the end of '21. No loving way sales aren't going to reach PS2 levels.

One of the quotes in the IGN article is that they plan on drop the price because I still can't remember a console that got MORE expensive years after launch, well both the Series X and S, even if the X is always under 479 or less in Amazon (most places keep the MSRP of 549 lol).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

People say this but every time a game doesn't have those things there's an overwhelming rush to talk about how insanely lovely it looks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Literally the most perfect gif. What the gently caress is going on with vidja games lately? Late stage capitalism?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

High interest rates have exposed that companies all run on debts and bad bets

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

hatty posted:

My favorite example of this is Cities Skylines 2 having a horrendous framerate because each tiny little citizen walking around has individually rendered teeth.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kevyn posted:

My favorite example of this is Cities Skylines 2 having a horrendous framerate because each tiny little citizen walking around has individually rendered teeth.

Finally something to take the crown from FF14 1.0s load bearing vase

e: also "there are more polygons in 2Bs rear end than the entirety of Ocarina of Time" is one of those things I have come to accept as truth along with tazer balls, it's too good to be fake

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
"What's wrong with video games" is the same thing wrong with most mass-market entertainment. Most companies are only comfortable creating market-tested risk averse products, not art. It's always been this way to some extent, but culturally we're in a prolonged age of grey slop. It's a bummer, but it does make the exceptions shine that much brighter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean that isn't really true. There are infinitely more video games coming out now that there have ever been before. The indie market is absurdly huge and thriving and contains games of every shape and size. If you're looking for people trying to make something they love or something artistic you can find plenty of games.

What people want are those kinds of games but also with a 150 million dollar budget, which is just not a thing that is going to happen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Video games aren’t art

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Video games are fun and good! cept for these that aren't

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Video games aren’t art

Call of Duty is

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
The reason this is all happening is because a generation of kids have grown up playing cheap iPhone games made in China

loving Steve Jobs and Honkai starrail destroyed the gaming industry

90sgamer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 14, 2024

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Guillermus posted:

One of the quotes in the IGN article is that they plan on drop the price because I still can't remember a console that got MORE expensive years after launch, well both the Series X and S, even if the X is always under 479 or less in Amazon (most places keep the MSRP of 549 lol).

No there are no quotes in the IGN article that say that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah it refers to the "annual sales pace" falling not price

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Sony you were supposed to give me a reason to buy your console before announcing that it's on the decline and you have no plans to do anything about it

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

90sgamer posted:

The reason this is all happening is because a generation of kids have grown up playing cheap iPhone games made in China

loving Steve Jobs and Honkai starrail destroyed the gaming industry

Is that so.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
motherfucker got worms in his butthole

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

motherfucker got worms in his butthole

heard this

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm pretty happy with my PS5 purchase last year, but it isn't really a great sign that they're saying this. Guess it's just the nature of consoles really. I can't believe the Switch is still going through!

Honestly if I was Microsoft I am not sure I would *want* to stay in the console market per se.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bees x1000 posted:

Sony you were supposed to give me a reason to buy your console before announcing that it's on the decline and you have no plans to do anything about it

their plans are to release a sixth playstation

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lines posted:

I can't believe the Switch is still going through!

i think it's the best console ever made tbh

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i think it's the best console ever made tbh

i think like 95% of your posts are garbage strained poop, but this is a correct take

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what have i done to deserve this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Martman posted:

Yeah it refers to the "annual sales pace" falling not price

My bad, you're right