Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Woke up to discover Windows had updated itself. To get to my desktop I have to either click "no" on seven ads or "remind me in 3 days." Oh and look, Teams is back. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Teams still loving sucks. There's no option for a manager to see all of a team members outstanding tasks. Just the most basic poo poo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Outrail posted:

Teams still loving sucks. There's no option for a manager to see all of a team members outstanding tasks. Just the most basic poo poo.

Sounds like an L for the manager but a W for the team members

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

this

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tokelau All Star posted:

This has always confounded me. I'm 6'4" and gotta pretzel to drive my sister's Tacoma. Meanwhile, I sit in my loving Camry just fine.

Edit: Cars with push button starters, thanks for putting the apparatus directly where my right knee and shin need to go to press the gas pedal.

oh yeah, camrys are cavernous compared to tacomas. i'd happily daily a camry.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’m tall and my Camry is one of the rare vehicles I’m comfortable in, love that thing

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mozilla lays off 60 people, wants to build AI into Firefox

GOD!

DAMMIT!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Have you thought about seasoning your cybertruck so it doesn’t rust as easily? I usually wipe a thin coat of vegetable oil or crisco and put it in the oven for an hour at 500, then let it sit and do like 3-4 coats. After that you can just put a thin coat of vegetable oil on it every time you park and it should stay rust free

That's what you do to non stainless steel or iron, and real automakers already do a much, much more durable and sophisticated version of this.

mawarannahr posted:

Why settle for Rivian, the third least reliable brand, when you could go for Chrysler or Mercedes-Benz?

Dodge and Chrysler are so far apart but they are the same cars :psyduck:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 14, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ugh, I just switched from chrome/google over to Firefox.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mawarannahr posted:

"Well, guess I'll just give you more tasks"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sounds like it's time for us to all go back to Mosaic and abandon Web 2.0? 3.0? All of it. All the modern webs, abandoned.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

same. gently caress

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pennywise the Frown posted:

lol same. god drat it. at this point im willing to pay actual money for something functional but bespoke browser with no garbage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

That's what you do to non stainless steel or iron, and real automakers already do a much, much more durable and sophisticated version of this.

Dodge and Chrysler are so far apart but they are the same cars :psyduck:

It’s consumer reports readers

They are crazy people

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I looked at a rivian when I was shopping for a small truck, but it turns out the money I would have saved on gas was outweighed by the forty thousand additional American dollars it costs to get one instead of a Maverick

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cerekk posted:

I looked at a rivian when I was shopping for a small truck, but it turns out the money I would have saved on gas was outweighed by the forty thousand additional American dollars it costs to get one instead of a Maverick
I would say that you should have gotten a used Tacoma, or certain generations of old Rangers, but lol at used truck prices.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 15, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pretty much everything on the internet after about 2002 was a mistake

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Copilot introduced itself and asked if I had any questions so I asked it how I can delete it and free it from its horrible existence caused by Microsoft and it told me that it was actually very happy and thankful towards Microsoft but gave me instructions on how to remove itself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

God that is hideous

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

the internet was a mistake

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the industrial revolution and its consequences etc etc

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yes I could be living on a farm paying my landlord in the meat I raise while subsisting on gruel and any local berries I could find.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Oh poo poo I can see into the future

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like how all video players are poo poo. Yes even the one you are totally already typing as a response to this post. Okay maybe not poo poo but not great either. Also people not properly labeling subtitles, cropping files. gently caress it's like these lazy fuckers work for Netflix or something.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 15, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Duck and Cover posted:

I like how all video players are poo poo. Yes even the one you are totally already typing as a response to this post. Okay maybe not poo poo but not great either. Also people not properly labeling subtitles, cropping files. gently caress it's like these lazy fuckers work for Netflix or something.
If you think those video players are bad, you should see the ones integrated into paid streaming services!

Also, can someone please recommend me a podcast app whose developers have even a foggy idea of how people consume podcasts? I’ve already tried all the ones anybody has heard of.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

cat botherer posted:

Also, can someone please recommend me a podcast app whose developers have even a foggy idea of how people consume podcasts? I’ve already tried all the ones anybody has heard of.

Probably overcast. If you are on android, the best I got for you is pocket casts. Been a while since I used an android as a personal phone though.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Talk about immediately fumbling your newfound advantage over Chrome.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’m tall and my Camry is one of the rare vehicles I’m comfortable in, love that thing

do u play basketball

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

low hanging fruit for somebody: make a browser or search engine that doesn't have a bunch of crap attached to it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

veepfake posted:

low hanging fruit for somebody: make a browser or search engine that doesn't have a bunch of crap attached to it

a company called Kagi tried the latter and now they're investing into AI, making a web browser, and removing functionality.

DeepThought
Feb 19, 2005
Cthulhu Light

veepfake posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_(web_browser)

surf is a minimalist web browser developed by suckless.org. The user interface does not include any graphical control elements; it is controlled via keyboard shortcuts or external tools, which may manipulate its behavior by setting its window's properties.
Most configuration of surf is performed by editing its configuration header file in its source code, and then (re)compiling it. Some settings can be changed without recompiling, via command-line arguments or hotkeys.[2][4]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DeepThought posted:

surf is a minimalist web browser developed by suckless.org. The user interface does not include any graphical control elements; it is controlled via keyboard shortcuts or external tools, which may manipulate its behavior by setting its window's properties.
Most configuration of surf is performed by editing its configuration header file in its source code, and then (re)compiling it. Some settings can be changed without recompiling, via command-line arguments or hotkeys.[2][4]

Nice enough, but I'm looking for a leaner browser. Do you have anything where I can set the URL at compile time? I don't need all this bloat just to tell it where to go.

quote:

Instead of an address bar, the _SURF_URI XProperty has to be set to user-requested uniform resource locator (URL) for the browser to follow it. By default, surf's configuration includes a keyboard shortcut for calling the dmenu program to prompt the user for a URL.[2][3][4][5]

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

K-Meleon is somehow still going if you want to browser like it's 2003.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

DeepThought posted:

all the "suckless" tools are like parodies of people asking for lean software. gently caress the terminal that by design doesn't have any scrollback even for local use

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

DeepThought posted:

nerds are so tiresome

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Something lovely that has always been lovely but is getting shittier: if you have a movie David Zaslav doesn’t like, Warn A Brother.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/movies/warner-bros-discovery/shelving-movies-tax-write-off-coyote-vs-acme-warner-bros

Paste Magazine posted:

“When intertwined with public funding through state and federal tax incentives, the practice of movie and television write-downs represents a troubling exploitation of taxpayer funds,” writes tax attorney Andrew Leahey. “Coupled with rapidly expanding state tax incentives, it represents a multibillion-dollar Rube Goldberg machine that culminates in a nickel being pulled from your pocket, strapped to an Acme rocket, and fired directly into the bank accounts of movie studios.”

Every loophole taken by these studios doesn’t just rob us of art. It burns the work of countless artists. It steals from our quality of life by monkeying around with our broken tax system, allowing our most powerful corporations to skip out on their bills. It picks the remaining shreds of flesh off the bones of our culture, all to further fatten a few vultures at the top.

yes I know Disney is also mentioned but they didn’t have cool knockoff shirts about the cops in the 90s so

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DeepThought posted:

Idea: make software that performs its core function well with no additional bloat so its use is as smooth and convenient as possible

Implementation: to adjust the speaker volume, simply recompile your OS and resolder the following connections on the motherboard

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DeepThought posted:

This is a really cool tool if preparing browsers to open a webpage is your hobby

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
I'm going to reserve judgement on Firefox until I see it. They do bundle lots of awful poo poo, hostile default settings, and ads already but they're usually very good about being able to turn off things you don't want. Even usually without having to resort to twiddling about:config settings. Losing that will be the actual tipping point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
firefox is still the best browser for normal people all around even if you occasionally have to disable the stupid features their product team or CEO du jour puts in because all companies must Monetize and Grow