Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ditocoaf posted:

COVID, the subprime mortgage crisis, 9/11, and Nevermind.

we didn't start the fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Groda posted:

Noticed a lot of Confederate flags where there were farmer protest signs, last summer in Benelux. A lot more than I remembering seeing in the past.

I guess that's the corollary, as it begins to have particular connotations among the wider public over here, some people use it consciously for that reason. Most notably the far right, and apparently also farmers who want evoke a rural/rebellious image.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It certainly evokes an image

Guavanaut posted:

They are just very mistaken about what that world would look like or why we moved the hell away from it, same as when the exact same people reject global environmental policy and instead patriotically back local farmers who would shackle them to a plow without a second thought.

"My secession and slavery flag is raising a lot of questions about how I plan to run my local farm that have already been answered by the flag."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

"Nevermind was the 9/11 of the 90s."-- Air Skwirl

Actually, 9/11 is the Nevermind of the 00s.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

September is a tremendous month.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

BonHair posted:

Oh come on. Nirvana wasn't *that* awful of a band.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kagrenak posted:

Year 0 exists they can't hide the truth forever

It does, in the same way that E-sharp exists.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, no argument from me. Letting the entire plantation class and the generals and the politicians just go back to work like nothing happened was one of the greatest mistakes in history, given that they now control the most powerful country to ever exist.

Yeah, de-Baathification was a really genius policy for Iraq too. That's why Iraq turned out so stable and unified in 2004. Conversely, the brutal punishment of all Imperial Japanese officers in the late 1940s, and the imprisonment / execution of most Boers in South Africa in the early 1990s, are why those countries turned into absolute nightmare quagmires in the immediate aftermath. It's pretty well borne out in history that executing/imprisoning all officers and politicians from terrible belligerent governments leads to much, much better outcomes than does amnesty for all but the worst of the worst offenders.

Letting off a bunch of Confederate leaders in 1866 also clearly gave a straight-line path to Trump being elected in 2016.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how you can see state borders around where moving to another state is no big deal.

UNC has a 2014 map with Alaska and Hawaii and also a map showing that most kids haven't moved from their state. https://carolinademography.cpc.unc.edu/2016/06/02/not-from-around-here-share-of-population-born-in-state-of-residence/

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like how you can see state borders around where moving to another state is no big deal.

UNC has a 2014 map with Alaska and Hawaii and also a map showing that most kids haven't moved from their state. https://carolinademography.cpc.unc.edu/2016/06/02/not-from-around-here-share-of-population-born-in-state-of-residence/

This is a map of cities, state border areas and Florida Oregon Nevada New Hampshire and Idaho

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is a map of cities, state border areas and Florida Oregon Nevada New Hampshire and Idaho

But why do people move to Delaware tho ? Florida and Vegas I can grok.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

It’s essentilly a suburb of Philadelphia

Philly people looking for a backyard

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

The extremely pro-business tax code & legal system. A ton of firms are nominally or actually headquartered there, creating demand for more accountants/lawyers/general corporate bureaucrats than the Delaware population naturally produces.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

Yeah, de-Baathification was a really genius policy for Iraq too. That's why Iraq turned out so stable and unified in 2004. Conversely, the brutal punishment of all Imperial Japanese officers in the late 1940s, and the imprisonment / execution of most Boers in South Africa in the early 1990s, are why those countries turned into absolute nightmare quagmires in the immediate aftermath. It's pretty well borne out in history that executing/imprisoning all officers and politicians from terrible belligerent governments leads to much, much better outcomes than does amnesty for all but the worst of the worst offenders.

Letting off a bunch of Confederate leaders in 1866 also clearly gave a straight-line path to Trump being elected in 2016.

What happened in Japan? From my limited knowledge the country picked up the pieces relatively quickly and began improving (I mean as a functional state, I'm not saying Japan became completely unproblematic).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The extremely pro-business tax code & legal system. A ton of firms are nominally or actually headquartered there, creating demand for more accountants/lawyers/general corporate bureaucrats than the Delaware population naturally produces.

this is incorrect, since those are just business hqing there and usually doesn't mean someone moves there. and those people aren't going to live in southern de (which is probably mostly migrants working in the chicken factories)

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s essentilly a suburb of Philadelphia

Philly people looking for a backyard

this is why

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

And yet doesn't quite explain it - LA starlets want a backyard. Nashville tin pan alley critters want a backyard. Detroit 8 mile wannabes want a backyard. Those places aren't bright white on the map tho (except the Google map obviously).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

And yet doesn't quite explain it - LA starlets want a backyard. Nashville tin pan alley critters want a backyard. Detroit 8 mile wannabes want a backyard. Those places aren't bright white on the map tho (except the Google map obviously).

do you not know where philadelphia is or????

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

do you not know where philadelphia is or????

I do not. And so WHAT ?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

1. Nashville is bright white on the map. It’s just hidden under one of the ns in Tennessee Given how quickly it’s growing and its reputation for that it’s not surprising.

2. Moving to a suburb in another state is not possible for those cities which is what the map measures. Wilmington is 30 minutes from downtown Philly center city. It’s just an extension of the metro area and moving there is no big deal that doesn’t require you to uproot your entire life

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most oceanfront areas seem pretty white, with understandable exceptions for the cold in Maine () and the already crowded Boston and Long Island. Delaware I assume has a lot of itenerant residents for tax purposes, but I also wonder if western Delmarva has its residents leeched off by both Delaware and DC (since living on the opposite side of the bay makes you a lot more relatively isolated). Then you get down to Louisiana, and then barely anyone wants to move out to the coast all the way down to Mexico. Hurricanes?

You can also see all the reservations around The Four Corners. The large reservations in the Dakotas are nowhere near as visible, but they're offset by the Dakotas being a place nobody wants to move to except for oilworkers.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

What happened in Japan? From my limited knowledge the country picked up the pieces relatively quickly and began improving (I mean as a functional state, I'm not saying Japan became completely unproblematic).

It went pretty similarly to how the Nazi war trials went; the Americans executed quite a number of Japanese leaders — apparently 900 — and gave long prison sentences (generally commuted in the 1950s) to a few thousand others -- apparently 3500 -- but it was targeted to individuals who committed specific abuses and tens of thousands of Kempeitai and other officers got essentially a complete amnesty, just like how the vast majority of SS officers were able to go back to a normal life soon after WW2.

In contrast, Bush's de-Baathification which fired, blacklisted from civil employment, and removed pensions for anyone who was ever in the Baath party in Iraq—which at 500,000 people included a massive number of regular civil servants and people that were by no means ideologues—is thought to be one of the main instigating factors for why Iraq fell apart and eventually led to ISIS.

It's super cool and ideologically pure to say that every commissioned officer in [insert terrible government] should be executed after losing a war that they started, but if you're living in the actual world, it tends to not actually work out very well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Southern Delaware has beaches that are still somewhat cheap. Lots of people who used to retire in southern Florida are retiring in Arizona and southern Delaware now.

Northern Delaware has a lot of legal jobs for the Chancery Court.

Delaware has disproportionately high public spending and disproportionately low taxes (no sales tax, very low property tax, and medium income tax) because they pull a Florida and raise tons of tax money from people who don't live there.

It's one of the few areas on the east coast where housing is still relatively cheap.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Southern Delaware has beaches that are still somewhat cheap. Lots of people who used to retire in southern Florida are retiring in Arizona and southern Delaware now.

this and also northeastern snowbirds who are returning to their ancestral homes but not quite still hanging around the delaware bay beaches (lewes and cape may)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What are we lookin' at here?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Map of South-East England with naming convention aimed at Polish aircrew (c. 1940)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Map of South-East England with naming convention aimed at Polish aircrew (c. 1940)

Mep of Sauf-Yst Inglend wif nejmink konvenszijon ejmt et Poulisz erkru

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Southwest England with phonetic spelling of stuff?

Edit: I'm good at north and south, but east/west is advanced poo poo

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
University of Delaware is also a huge draw from Philly. It's cheaper and closer than Penn State or Villanova but has more prestige than Temple or West Chester.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What are we lookin' at here?

Kentebery, Hejstynz, Douwe, Nju-Romny, Roczyste, Istbon, it's all there.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Leviathan Song posted:

University of Delaware is also a huge draw from Philly. It's cheaper and closer than Penn State or Villanova but has more prestige than Temple or West Chester.

its also pretty stark to see how civilization just ends when you cross the border into elkton

anyway biden should do his duty as a delaware president and sanction jakes until they are good again

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oi some fouksten knicked me mobile

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Guavanaut posted:

Ahh ok thats why I couldnt find that stuff on the internet.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kentebery, Hejstynz, Douwe, Nju-Romny, Roczyste, Istbon, it's all there.
Ah drat, I gotta dust up on my Polish.

Maybe polish my Polish?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

It's super cool and ideologically pure to say that every commissioned officer in [insert terrible government] should be executed after losing a war that they started, but if you're living in the actual world, it tends to not actually work out very well.
I'm pretty sure when people suggest it for the Confederates, they generally mean the people at the top who proactively chose treason or had major leadership roles. America would not have descended into anarchy if they had shot like all the Confederate generals and political leaders.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose if there is one thing in the world that would be improved by Polish spelling it's English.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A simple method for denazification would've been to execute anyone who was Aryan and never in a concentration camp and/or resistance group.

Which would've left as many as 30000 Germans alive.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 14, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

A simple method for denazification would've been to execute anyone who was Aryan

Seems like a rather radical solution but sometimes you have to break a few eggs

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Phlegmish posted:

Seems like a rather radical solution but sometimes you have to break a few eggs

Indo-European language family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

FreudianSlippers posted:

A simple method for denazification would've been to execute anyone who was Aryan and never in a concentration camp and/or resistance group.

Which would've left as many as 30000 Germans alive.

Well, the Morgenthau Plan would become workable ...