Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A friend of mine got one, it rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

owning more things > owning fewer things

Yes, we must all consume the maximum possible amount.

My six year old still sucks at capitalism. On several occasions, he's told us that he already has enough Lego. What kind of kid is that?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and be ready for croup, croup sucks and is terrifying the first time you encounter it their temp can spike really fast and high.

Yeah we just went through our first round of croup. poo poo loving sucks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Years ago some indian dad uploaded the full 22 minute tracklist of the Fisher Price Kick and Play Piano. That video is no longer on the internet. Me and Mom got nostalgic, so we had to dig out the kick and play from storage, put batteries in it, and pushed the button to make the music play.

The kids don't even give a poo poo, but these are fuckin banger tracks. In the last Year Fisher Price put out offical music videos. I am going full insufferable audiophile about these: They're dogshit. Animal Fair is a minute long skit that leads to a different song. The brass horns on the track don't sound right coming out of remastered audio, poo poo was built to be blasted out of a tin speaker. Just ughhh. This will be my first lesson on the virtues of keeping physical media.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

daughter is sick today :(

well she was sick all weekend but still sick today, missing daycare

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I am confused by owlett's coughing behavior.
When she gets real whiney she starts a screaming into coughing.
She also enjoys fake coughing, and she is really happy and excited will offer fake coughs.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

when my kids were a bit younger they learned that the fake cough was the fast track to sympathetic attention from my wife, so if they're ever even mildly upset by something they launch into hacking and retching like they've been smoking 5 packs a day for 40 years. p annoying

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KirbyKhan posted:

Years ago some indian dad uploaded the full 22 minute tracklist of the Fisher Price Kick and Play Piano. That video is no longer on the internet. Me and Mom got nostalgic, so we had to dig out the kick and play from storage, put batteries in it, and pushed the button to make the music play.

The kids don't even give a poo poo, but these are fuckin banger tracks. In the last Year Fisher Price put out offical music videos. I am going full insufferable audiophile about these: They're dogshit. Animal Fair is a minute long skit that leads to a different song. The brass horns on the track don't sound right coming out of remastered audio, poo poo was built to be blasted out of a tin speaker. Just ughhh. This will be my first lesson on the virtues of keeping physical media.

this is the kind of poo poo I'm here for

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah we definitely have some of those in our kid spotify playlists: https://open.spotify.com/track/5CpsnQeqmGKGwb27riJGUM?si=62c3244846cb4d0d

Some of the instrumentals though... good lord, just hearing those puts me right back into that exhausted fugue state. That was like only a year ago for us too.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BonHair posted:

Bins are great. For turning over. One at a time. Without even picking up anything in the like before turning over the next one.

every loving time and I still pick it up every time

now she's getting better at it thankfully, and even helps pick up most times

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
we went to see Wonka yesterday (good movie, enjoyed it) because it was the only movie she could go to. originally she wasn't even interested in it but then it was the only option lol

anyway, she had a great time, lasted till like 10 min before it ended before she needed to go exploring. some younger kids were running around and she wanted in, and I don't think she has many more run around the theater with other kids before she will be too old for it so gently caress it have fun.

we got outside and she had a big tantrum because... I still don't know lol stormed off and sat by a light post for a bit before coming back, I guess she didn't like the way I asked her to get in the car

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I'm sick with something, so it was a relief when the kindergartener came home without any homework. It's usually a packet that is supposed to be week long. but he's convinced that he needs to do it all in one night. Thank goodness because I just don't have the energy right now. It's tablet time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got an email today about the long division section my kid is working through and it included a seven minute YouTube video explaining the technique.

on the one hand I appreciate the guidance because the new math stuff is not anything I'm used to but on the other hand i can't stop screaming and hooting

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
goondolences on doing homework, also for getting sick

godspeed to you each

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Time to finish the latest Big Foot, Little Foot.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Greg Legg posted:

I'm sick with something, so it was a relief when the kindergartener came home without any homework. It's usually a packet that is supposed to be week long. but he's convinced that he needs to do it all in one night. Thank goodness because I just don't have the energy right now. It's tablet time.

Why does your kindergartener have homework?!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Elissimpark posted:

5 year olds got deliverables to prep for the quarterly report.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

It's an optional packet that is really just a review of what he does during the school day. He gets class dojo points and something from the prize box in his classroom if he completes it. I was confused the first time it came home though.

I don't know where this kid gets his love of school from. I didn't like school very much and didn't do very well. It's heart warming to watch him high five the custodian as he runs into the building in the morning.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Greg Legg posted:

I don't know where this kid gets his love of school from.

Greg Legg posted:

kindergartener

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah school kicks rear end when it's half a day and half of your half a day involves the flintstone phone.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The good news is that the snow has closed my workplace. The bad news is that the snow has closed the school buildings and it's zoom school today. NYC public school students don't get snow days anymore.

Zoom school with a bunch of kindergartners is going about as well as you might expect, barely controlled chaos but the teacher is doing a good job holding it together.

Greg Legg posted:

My younger kid in kindergarten has exactly the same deal, a homework packet to be completed over the following week. They sit down and do it all at once with furious determination. They won't let me do it with them :(

Hope you feel better.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have come to realize and understand that, not only does my 9 year old son have a more solid bag of emotional coping techniques to use when he's stressed out than I did when I was his age... he may actually have a more solid handle on it than I do at my age.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Best advice I ever received was from my boy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

KirbyKhan posted:

Best advice I ever received was from my boy

Well don't leave us hanging, what was it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Keep trying, keep trying, don't give up~ don't give up~

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah school kicks rear end when it's half a day and half of your half a day involves the flintstone phone.

all kindergartens are a day long around here now, pre I was the half day. thought it was crazy when I found out

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KirbyKhan posted:

Keep trying, keep trying, don't give up~ don't give up~

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have come to realize and understand that, not only does my 9 year old son have a more solid bag of emotional coping techniques to use when he's stressed out than I did when I was his age... he may actually have a more solid handle on it than I do at my age.

Sounds like you're doing a great job raising your kid then. I've found it challenging thinking about how to teach and demonstrate emotional regulation and like how to talk about feelings and be normal sometimes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

hubris.height posted:

all kindergartens are a day long around here now, pre I was the half day. thought it was crazy when I found out

if you don’t get good scores in kindergarten how will you be able to apply for the top middle school prep schools. It’s really competitive and you better have good BabySAT scores or it’s to the mines with you.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The week of 4:30 wakeups continues...

:smith:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chad Sexington posted:

The week of 4:30 wakeups continues...

:smith:

:same:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Day 4 of daycare: Kid comes up sick with his first cold. Unsurprising.

Day 5: Kid stays home, looks miserable, tons of snot. Poor guy.

Day 6 (Saturday): I think I started getting the bug the kid brought home at this point, not too bad though. Kid looking slightly better.

Day 7 (Sunday): I am fully hosed up with whatever horrific bug the kid got, although he is looking much better.

Day 8 (back to daycare): Now I've got conjunctivitis from this whole thing somehow, I wake up with my eye sealed shut. Absolutely wretched. Kid seems fine. What the hell.

Day 9: I can barely get out of bed. Kid is now walking around like he owns the place at 10 months old.

Day 10: See day 9.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
yeah my kid got sick recently and she handled it like a champ while my spouse and I are like fuckin dead and collectively missing like 2 weeks of work.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Day 117: I'm still loving sick. This is bad for my marriage and work and basically everything else.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

Day 4 of daycare: Kid comes up sick with his first cold. Unsurprising.

Day 5: Kid stays home, looks miserable, tons of snot. Poor guy.

Day 6 (Saturday): I think I started getting the bug the kid brought home at this point, not too bad though. Kid looking slightly better.

Day 7 (Sunday): I am fully hosed up with whatever horrific bug the kid got, although he is looking much better.

Day 8 (back to daycare): Now I've got conjunctivitis from this whole thing somehow, I wake up with my eye sealed shut. Absolutely wretched. Kid seems fine. What the hell.

Day 9: I can barely get out of bed. Kid is now walking around like he owns the place at 10 months old.

Day 10: See day 9.

repeat until kids are 27

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My 9yo daughter has been agitating for an increase in allowance but we sort of have all of the household chores that she's capable of taking on accounted for. So, I hired her to be my personal trainer and I gotta say: She has a gift.

I'm not sure if the novelty will wear off, but she's ready to rock and roll at 7am each morning and puts me through an "old man version" of her ballet warmup and some bodyweight exercises with Richard Simmons energy. I even got a pushup PB this morning. I'm not sure I would have set "do the splits" as a fitness goal for myself but who's to argue with a professional.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My 9yo daughter has been agitating for an increase in allowance but we sort of have all of the household chores that she's capable of taking on accounted for. So, I hired her to be my personal trainer and I gotta say: She has a gift.

I'm not sure if the novelty will wear off, but she's ready to rock and roll at 7am each morning and puts me through an "old man version" of her ballet warmup and some bodyweight exercises with Richard Simmons energy. I even got a pushup PB this morning. I'm not sure I would have set "do the splits" as a fitness goal for myself but who's to argue with a professional.

:lovebird:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we finally mitigated the Valentine's Day madness:

1) design something simple with a graphic from Google image search

2) add in a terrible pun about something related to the picture

3) write "from KID" but eschew addressing them individually

4) print four per page then cut em out

there you're done. if you really want to force your kid to write their own name then go wild but individually addressing them just means that passing them out takes forever

gently caress this stupid holiday

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
From a UK thread:

OzyMandrill posted:

My son is 11 and plays football. I'm not sure if it's the action or the result that came first, but rolling around holding your ankles in pain is to be 'in Brexit'. To tackle is to Brexit them, and you shout the Brexit means Brexit as a version of 'in your face, loser'

kids :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We're doing it this time, guys. We're potty-training the 3-year-old. It's gonna happen.

Thus far she has peed on the bathroom floor once and has not peed since. Her counter-strategy to us just not letting her wear diapers all day, apparently, is to drink nothing and never pee again. Little does she know, though, that this would technically qualify her as potty-trained. Checkmate :smug: