Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

Ukraine did recently claim that Russian forces had access to Starlink. That doesn't necessarily mean SpaceX knowingly sold it to them for that purpose. Starlink terminals are just specialized telecom devices and could easily be stolen or bought under false pretenses. SpaceX is probably smart enough not to intentionally violate sanctions even if Musk personally may not be

Russians buying starlink terminals under fake names isn’t a destabilizing threat needing private congressional briefs

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If Russia starts messing with GPS satellites, then I am never going to be able to find my way to any location that is more than 20 minutes away from my house again.

Have the boomers finally found a way to strike back at millennials and gen z?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is about the dumbest way to announce a threat, significant or not.

"This is serious enough that all members of Congress and our allies need to be aware of this and able to discuss it openly. It's not an immediate threat though, and we're not going to say what it is publicly because we don't want to ruin your day. Oh yeah, it isn't aliens, we promise."

Are they deliberately trying to feed rumor mills? Did the heads of CNN, Fox News, etc. call up Mike Turner and say "Look, the Biden administration is too goddamn boring and Trump is mired in lawsuits. Can you give us something interesting to report on and speculate about for a bit? Pretty please?

If Russia starts messing with GPS satellites, then I am never going to be able to find my way to any location that is more than 20 minutes away from my house again.

If Russia were to start targeting/destroying satellites, wouldn't that be an overt act of war? GPS is owned and managed by the US government. Jamming/blocking/scrambling on the ground is one thing, but going after gov't owned infrastructure seems...ill-advised.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1757840768923021363

Ok it's Starlink

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

haveblue posted:

Ukraine did recently claim that Russian forces had access to Starlink. That doesn't necessarily mean SpaceX knowingly sold it to them for that purpose. Starlink terminals are just specialized telecom devices and could easily be stolen or bought under false pretenses. SpaceX is probably smart enough not to intentionally violate sanctions even if Musk personally may not be

FWIW they have tried to use sanctions enforcement against their rivals. Not sure they wouldn't intentionally violate sanctions though, they are pretty cavalier about following rules and regulations.
Flip-Flopping in Russia Sanctions Blocked Entity Guidance?

ofaclawyer.net - Tue, 17 Jun 2014 posted:

Originally Published May 27, 2014.

An interesting Russia sanctions revelation was made in the most recent chapter of the SpaceX bid protest lawsuit against United Launch Alliance (ULA).  The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) appears to have backtracked on its own blocked entity guidance in an opinion letter penned by the Chief Counsel (Foreign Assets Control).

The Chief Counsel states that unless and until some “affirmative determination” by the Treasury that an entity is “owned or controlled” by a blocked person no blocking of that entity is required by law.[1]  In contrast, OFAC’s written guidance states that “[t]he property and interests in property of [an entity owned by a blocked person] are blocked regardless of whether the entity itself is listed in the annex to an Executive order or otherwise placed on . . . [the SDN List].”[2]

That opinion letter was submitted to Judge Braden of the United States Court of Federal Claims as part of the Government’s motion to dissolve a preliminary injunction prohibiting ULA from buying rockets made by a Russian state-controlled entity thought to be controlled by a person listed in the Annex of Exec. Order 13661.  This situation arose because SpaceX utilized the often broad (and also vague) language found in OFAC’s regulations, orders, and opinions to privately enforce U.S. economic sanctions against its competitor in a bid for a valuable U.S. Air Force contract.

At issue were ULA’s Atlas 5 rockets, which use engines purchased from a Russian state-controlled company called NPO Energomash.  SpaceX was able to convince the court to issue a preliminary injunction on April 30, 2014 prohibiting the U.S. Air Force and ULA from “making any purchases from . . . NPO Energomash . . . unless and until the court received the opinion of the . . . Treasury that any such purchases or payments will not directly or indirectly contravene Executive  Order 13661.”[3]

Exec. Order 13661 blocked the property of additional persons contributing to the situation in Ukraine.  The annex to this order lists Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, the official in charge of Russia’s space effort.  NPO Energomash, however, was not specifically targeted by the order.  Nevertheless, SpaceX questioned whether the proposed engine purchases would violate economic sanctions levied against Rogozin.

The position taken by SpaceX was not unreasonable. When OFAC rolled out its webpage for Ukraine-related sanctions it posted guidance entitled “Guidance on Entities Owned by Persons Whose Property and Interests in Property are Blocked.”  In that guidance OFAC broadly states that the property and interests in property of an entity is blocked if that entity is at least 50% owned by a blocked person.  Such an entity is blocked “regardless of whether the entity itself is [listed].”[4]  In accordance with this guidance, the fact that NPO Energomash is not explicitly listed does not, in and of itself, mean that U.S. persons are authorized to transact with it.

Further confusing the issue is OFAC’s vague guidance that in “certain OFAC sanctions programs (e.g., Cuba and Sudan) there is a broader category of entities whose property and interests in property are blocked based on, for example, ownership or control.”[5]  However, the guidance fails to specify whether this broader category of unlisted blocked entities applies to the Ukraine-related sanctions program.  At this point SpaceX could have reasonably believed that U.S. persons are prohibited from transacting with NPO Energomash for being either owned or controlled by Rogozin.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

They stole one terminal and it's built so badly they reverse engineered it and have full unfettered access to the entire thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shooting Blanks posted:

If Russia were to start targeting/destroying satellites, wouldn't that be an overt act of war? GPS is owned and managed by the US government. Jamming/blocking/scrambling on the ground is one thing, but going after gov't owned infrastructure seems...ill-advised.

Everyone already yelled at them and warned them not to test those anti-satellite missiles a few years ago, but they did it anyway and they had to evacuate the ISS because there were now hundreds of thousands of tiny pieces of untraceable metal debris hurtling through space in orbit around earth. They already said they don't think messing with space or satellites counts as hostile activity.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Somehow, Tim Curry returned.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet it's anti-satellite weaponry now; there's been rumbling about that before too.

Everyone with satellites has anti satellite capabilities. Everyone who can bang out a high power laser array too. No one bricks satellites because it's an act of war, possibly with multiple nations given the potential knock on effects of orbital fragments.

More likely they are approaching a major strategic interception goal, or something else that changes the math on nuclear weapons usage and enable them to use nuclear as a cudgel in diplomacy without needing to be concerned about global intervention.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Byzantine posted:

Somehow, Tim Curry returned.

Space fully corrupted by capitalism, no point in staying

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok yeah I take it back

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is about the dumbest way to announce a threat, significant or not.

"This is serious enough that all members of Congress and our allies need to be aware of this and able to discuss it openly. It's not an immediate threat though, and we're not going to say what it is publicly because we don't want to ruin your day. Oh yeah, it isn't aliens, we promise."

Are they deliberately trying to feed rumor mills? Did the heads of CNN, Fox News, etc. call up Mike Turner and say "Look, the Biden administration is too goddamn boring and Trump is mired in lawsuits. Can you give us something interesting to report on and speculate about for a bit? Pretty please?

Yeah, it is kind of baffling that Mike Turner decided to make this weird announcement instead of after the briefing tomorrow. I guess he want to just get the ball rolling on declassifying the information? But, either way you are going to leave people wildly speculating for at least 48 hours.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah the fact that no one knows what said news even is yet, really just drawing more negative attention to himself here. Which is impressive given he's been the main character on Twitter for so long already.

Anti-satellite weapons would be a reasonable issue. Though I believe the Space Force is already planning to send up their own version of Starlink so they can have that capability without having to worry about Elon screwing with it. So if Starlink is massively compromised today there's already plans to get around that.

EDIT: also given Elon can't launch anything without US gov approval, launches a bunch of defense-dept missions, and gets a massive amount of funds to support SpaceX, if he is found to be actively helping Russia with anything that is not going to end well for him.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 14, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Everyone already yelled at them and warned them not to test those anti-satellite missiles a few years ago, but they did it anyway and they had to evacuate the ISS because there were now hundreds of thousands of tiny pieces of untraceable metal debris hurtling through space in orbit around earth. They already said they don't think messing with space or satellites counts as hostile activity.

It's one thing to blow up your own satellite, even if it puts large numbers of other satellites at risk. It's entirely another to target and destroy a foreign nation's strategic asset(s) in space.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Apparently Latveria has acquired hypersonic nukes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah the fact that no one knows what said news even is yet, really just drawing more negative attention to himself here. Which is impressive given he's been the main character on Twitter for so long already.

Anti-satellite weapons would be a reasonable issue. Though I believe the Space Force is already planning to send up their own version of Starlink so they can have that capability without having to worry about Elon screwing with it. So if Starlink is massively compromised today there's already plans to get around that.

EDIT: also given Elon can't launch anything without US gov approval, launches a bunch of defense-dept missions, and gets a massive amount of funds to support SpaceX, if he is found to be actively helping Russia with anything that is not going to end well for him.

I was half joking but I can't think of anything else Elon-related in the news so either he just accidentally made a really poorly timed tweet or it has to do with Starlink.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

I was half joking but I can't think of anything else Elon-related in the news so either he just accidentally made a really poorly timed tweet or it has to do with Starlink.

I tried looking into comments and his other tweets for context and could feel my soul leave my body in real time.

What my soulless husk discovered is it seems like an off-hand, out of nowhere tweet with suspicious timing, so I put it at 60/40 chance for it to be related to this national security news since that is the current big news deal at this second.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Professor Beetus posted:

I think ongoing support for Israel in the face of current reality can safely be called psychotic, but "psychotic" is also just a popular word right now for whatever reason.

Sorry to double quote you here, but your comment stuck in my head and reminded me of how the debate over Israel and Anti-Semitism accusations have been causing a ton of bad blood within the American Psychoanalytic Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/jun/16/george-washington-university-professor-antisemitism-palestine-dc

I think it's worth a read for people in this thread.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

zoux posted:

Or Elon's blitzed to his tits on special-K again and just wanted to comment on something that everyone else was commenting on so he could get attention.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Or Elon's blitzed to his tits on special-K again and just wanted to comment on something that everyone else was commenting on so he could get attention.

While that's true, it's far funnier to imagine Elmo accidentally blowing the lid on any secret inquiries into Starlink's relation to Russia.

Say, what IS the current actual stance the US has with Russia right now? Any embargoes that could get Elmo locked away for a hilariously long time?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Since it is a Republican raising a fuss about this new threat my guess is this is his intention is to try to make Biden look bad as opposed to anything to do with national security. I mean he's on Team Putin after all I really doubt he's concerned about anything Russia is up to. Maybe he knows it won't be declassified like he's demanding so he can just say Biden isn't protecting the American people or some poo poo. We all know Rs are more interested in getting Trump back into office then protecting the homeland.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

They hacked the Jewish space lasers :tinfoil:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The congressional ethics investigation into Matt Gaetz found he that his friend had paid a women to have sex with other people multiple times and that he had once again paid her for sex right before a trip with Matt Gaetz.

This is not the same woman as the minor who Gaetz brought across state lanes and was investigating for traffficking.

Gaetz did not pay the woman directly and he claims that he did not know his friend had been paying her to have sex with other people for years. This supports some of the other allegations that Gaetz may have taken plane trips and sex for political favors.

However, these text messages alone aren't a smoking gun that prove his guilt alone. For this particular trip, the woman ultimately did not attend. However, she appears in several pictures with Gaetz at different events in the Florida Keys and Bahamas, indicating that she and Gaetz did meet each other and go on other similar trips together that were paid for by Gaetz's friend.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1757852343700459962

quote:

House panel obtains texts allegedly showing Gaetz setting up 2017 Florida Keys trip with woman his associate paid for sex: Sources

Congressional House Ethics investigators have obtained text messages allegedly showing that a few months after first joining Congress, Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz asked a young woman, who at the time had received payments for sex from Gaetz's then-close friend Joel Greenberg, to join him and others on a three-day trip to the Florida Keys in May 2017, multiple sources tell ABC News.

In the alleged text messages described exclusively to ABC News, the then-freshman congressman appeared to message a woman, who ABC News is not identifying, asking if she would fly on a private plane to the Florida Keys for a trip with Gaetz, three other women, and one other man.

"Hey -- any interest in flying on a private plane to the keys May 19-21?" Gaetz allegedly wrote to the woman, who was older than 21 at the time, according to multiple sources familiar with the messages.

Gaetz then allegedly said that the trip would feature "2 guys, 4 girls. A very high-quality adventurous group," according to the messages, which have previously not been reported on.

"Yeah I'm in," replied the woman, according to the texts.

Gaetz allegedly replied: "Fantastic. As is true with all time you spend w me, it'll be fun and chill […] You have a passport?"

Sources familiar with the events tell ABC News the woman ultimately declined the 2017 trip.

The messages, if accurate, mark the first known example of alleged direct private communication between the Florida congressman and a woman who his one-time close associate Joel Greenberg told investigators he had been paying to have sex with other men, according to documents and interviews with multiple sources.

It's unknown if Gaetz knew that Greenberg had allegedly been paying the woman in such a manner.

A spokesperson for Gaetz told ABC News, "Rep. Gaetz has no knowledge of these activities by Mr. Greenberg and was not involved in them. Rep. Gaetz has never paid for sex. Rep. Gaetz does not know anything about the woman you're referencing, though he takes thousands of selfies each year."

Members of the House Ethics Committee declined to comment to ABC News.

A photo of Gaetz and the woman has also been turned over to the committee, according to sources briefed on the matter. According to the sources, the photo, which is dated May 19, 2017, shows the woman smiling in a selfie next to Gaetz, who is wearing a shirt that reads, "If you think research is expensive, try disease," a quote from health activist Mary W. Lasker.

According to bank and Venmo records reviewed by ABC News, the woman had previously received multiple payments from Greenberg, which multiple sources tell ABC News were for the woman to have sex at parties with Greenberg's friends.

Greenberg, a former Seminole County tax collector, reached a deal with federal investigators in May 2021 in which he pleaded guilty to multiple federal crimes, including sex trafficking of a minor and introducing her to other "adult men" who also had sex with her when she was underage.

He was a top witness in the Justice Department's yearslong investigation into allegations that Gaetz had engaged in sex trafficking the same minor who was the victim in the sex trafficking case to which Greenberg pleaded guilty. The probe concluded with the DOJ's decision not to bring charges against Gaetz.

The House Ethics Committee opened its own probe into Gaetz in April 2021 but paused its investigation while the Justice Department completed its probe. The Ethics Committee then reopened its probe this past summer.

Gaetz has long denied all wrongdoing. The Florida congressman has blasted the Ethics Committee, saying its efforts are part of a plan by former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to retaliate against Gaetz for helping remove McCarthy from his post late last year.

House investigators have recently ramped up their probe of Gaetz, which ABC News previously reported is looking into allegations that he paid for sex, as well as allegations about drug use and potential lobbying violations, according to sources familiar with the committee's work. The DOJ examined related allegations in their yearslong probe before deciding not to bring charges.

Since the start of 2024, the Ethics Committee has contacted numerous witnesses, including Greenberg and the congressman's ex-girlfriend.

Federal investigators previously sought answers about a separate trip in 2018 that Gaetz allegedly took to the Bahamas with women who Greenberg said he had been paying for sex, and were looking to determine if Gaetz was provided travel and entertainment in exchange for political favors, according to people familiar with the investigation. House investigators have conducted at least one interview with a witness who was allegedly part of that trip, sources tell ABC News.

It's unclear if the text messages regarding the planned 2017 Florida Keys trip reported by ABC News were also scrutinized by federal investigators.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 14, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1757854698122485946

Also reporting that this capability would be used to destroy satellites, rather than nuke us from orbit.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I think ongoing support for Israel in the face of current reality can safely be called psychotic, but "psychotic" is also just a popular word right now for whatever reason.

I do think there's a bit of difference in calling those exact words 'psychotic' and something you could actually call 'psychotic' that it just comes off as laughable hyperbole. If even stuff that is unfortunately pretty true (too many people support Israel, especially in his district) or is just mild criticism ("clueless") is considered 'psychotic' then we're gonna need to invent new words for real bloodthirsty poo poo, like a Dry Bones cartoon.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Sorry to double quote you here, but your comment stuck in my head and reminded me of how the debate over Israel and Anti-Semitism accusations have been causing a ton of bad blood within the American Psychoanalytic Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/jun/16/george-washington-university-professor-antisemitism-palestine-dc

I think it's worth a read for people in this thread.

Looking into followup news, it does seem like she was being targeted for being an Arab woman and not because she was actually antisemitic. Those orgs that did the hit job should feel extremely ashamed of themselves, but they're probably just happy instead.

Charliegrs posted:

Since it is a Republican raising a fuss about this new threat my guess is this is his intention is to try to make Biden look bad as opposed to anything to do with national security. I mean he's on Team Putin after all I really doubt he's concerned about anything Russia is up to. Maybe he knows it won't be declassified like he's demanding so he can just say Biden isn't protecting the American people or some poo poo. We all know Rs are more interested in getting Trump back into office then protecting the homeland.

Apparently it was suppose to come out within a couple of days but this guy decided to jump the gun for... some reason.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I wonder if it's just general Elon kompromat rather than specific Starlink stuff. That would certainly be a "we gotta figure out how to... divest him of the interestes we're invested in" mid-long term issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kchama posted:

Apparently it was suppose to come out within a couple of days but this guy decided to jump the gun for... some reason.

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1757849594283647330

I don't know when that vote is scheduled

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Also reporting that this capability would be used to destroy satellites, rather than nuke us from orbit.

It basically is Goldeneye (except it only works on electronic in space).

Pierce Brosnan tried to warn us and we refused to listen.

Putin, please do not mess with my GPS. Take Ukraine, but not my Waze app.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

It basically is Goldeneye (except it only works on electronic in space).

Pierce Brosnan tried to warn us and we refused to listen.

Christ but why a nuke to destroy satellites? SURELY there has to be a more efficient way??

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BonoMan posted:

Christ but why a nuke to destroy satellites? SURELY there has to be a more efficient way??

Watch the documentary Goldeneye starring Pierce Brosnan. You move the nuke into position and detonate it in space to create an EMP that destroys all satellites/electronic devices in a large area.

This doesn't require any targeting system for hitting constantly moving satellites and guarantees that you won't miss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Including your own. Seems intentionally provocative, especially since this is something we can get the entire world on board opposing.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

BonoMan posted:

A nuke detonated in orbit would create a far-reaching EMP that would knock out a good chunk, if not all, satellites in orbit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BonoMan posted:

A nuclear detonation is the most efficient way to generate an electromagnetic pulse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Including your own. Seems intentionally provocative, especially since this is something we can get the entire world on board opposing.

I'm assuming it is some kind of mini-nuke or more targeted blast.

Since they said it was a capability they just recently discovered and Russia has had nukes and the ability to put them into space for decades, so that wouldn't be a new capability.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Well this is the only way this story makes sense. Russia is not going to start nuking satellites in space, what would that get them other than MAD.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

They did it five days ago on the Soyuz launch.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Watch the documentary Goldeneye starring Pierce Brosnan. You move the nuke into position and detonate it in space to create an EMP that destroys all satellites/electronic devices in a large area.

This doesn't require any targeting system for hitting constantly moving satellites and guarantees that you won't miss.

But all my credit would be gone so really 006 was a hero, I say go space nuke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We detonated a 1.4 megaton device in orbit in the 60s to see what would happen

quote:

Starfish Prime caused an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that was far larger than expected, so much larger that it drove much of the instrumentation off scale, causing great difficulty in getting accurate measurements. The Starfish Prime electromagnetic pulse also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 900 miles (1,450 km) away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights,[ setting off numerous burglar alarms, and damaging a telephone company microwave link. The EMP damage to the microwave link shut down telephone calls from Kauai to the other Hawaiian islands.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

CNN is reporting there was some kind of mass shooting at the Chiefs parade. No information other than "multiple victims" at the moment.
e: They're just saying "shots fired", not "mass shooting" but police are saying multiple victims.

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 14, 2024

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Hilarious how this leaked before the briefing just because some idiot congressman released a press brief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

CNN is reporting there was some kind of mass shooting at the Chiefs parade. No information other than "multiple victims" at the moment.

The "good" news is that it seems like several people were shot after two drunk people with guns got into a fight and it wasn't a mass shooting.

Several people were shot, but nobody is reported dead yet and both armed people were taken into custody. Police were already on the scene because of the parade and the crowd tackled at least one of the shooters right away.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/shooting-reported-at-kansas-city-chiefs-super-bowl-victory-rally/46790065