Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Most trested man in Los Angeles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Shanahan = Dan Reeves, discuss

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

D-LINK posted:

Dick Lebeau was an awesome permanent former HC turned DC for 15 years

Tbh I think the Steelers were at their best when they had LeBeau, Todd Haley, and Mike Munchak working together, all former head coaches. By this logic Arthur Smith will also be good.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1757858426942627991

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Kyle Shanahan Yesterday posted:

"I haven't talked to anybody yet," he said when asked a follow-up question on Wilks' future after an unclear first response. "So yeah, I expect all our coaches to be back."

Shanahan is teflon. Pretty funny to see 49ers fans hanging the Super Bowl loss on Wilks. You've got a game where they held KC to 3 points going into halftime. The game pivots on the special teams miscues like the XP block and the punt return that hits the 49ers leg.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 14, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Shanahan needs to hire Bowles as his DC, he knows how to shut down Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

soggybagel posted:

Shanahan is teflon. Pretty funny to see 49ers fans hanging the Super Bowl loss on Wilks. You've got a game where they held KC to 3 points going into halftime. The game pivots on the special teams miscues like the XP block and the punt return that hits the 49ers leg.

Held KC to 19 pts in regulation but it was the defense that was the problem??? I expect my team to win 90% of the games when the defense holds the opposing team to under 20 pts

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

soggybagel posted:

I guess it's because of the Lions game maybe? Because he wasn't at fault at all in the Super Bowl as far as I can tell unless you want to get super picky about missing the same play KC ran last year to win, but that's just a hard play to guard if you have the right look. And right or wrong, one play doesn't mean you should be fired.

I also don't think Shanahan should be fired, just saying y'all made the Super Bowl and were one or two plays away from winning it, and the defense was not the problem most of the game if there was a problem.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
49ers coaches did good, this isn’t like Harbaugh or Monken forgetting Lamar has legs. The players did good too. Chiefs had luck on their side (Greenlaw/XP/Punt hit foot) and a secondary that played out of its MIND and clamped the 49ers skill players down.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I wish they kept Wilks and fired Shannahan. I don't think firing Wilks is a good call but whatever they'll just put someone there and either it'll be better or worse.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Not sure any coach in the league has gotten as many raw deals as Wilks.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
I sure hope one of your teams snatches him up for DC. Sounds like a heck of a coach, and I'm sure you'd be thrilled!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Coldforge posted:

I sure hope one of your teams snatches him up for DC. Sounds like a heck of a coach, and I'm sure you'd be thrilled!

Can I trade-in a slightly used Vance Joseph

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'd rather Steve Wilks be the Jets' HC than Saleh

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

mcmagic posted:

I'd rather Steve Wilks be the Jets' HC than Saleh

Teams should just swap coaches :hmmyes:

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
am I the only one blindsided by the Wilks news? seems like it came out of nowhere.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

elime anning posted:

am I the only one blindsided by the Wilks news? seems like it came out of nowhere.

49ers defensive players had been complaining about Wilks for most of the season. Lots of noise about him being up in the booth during games, and the team had to convince him to call plays from the field early in the season.

Several hints from local beat writers and indications he wasn't a good fit for the 49ers. He could be a great coach and it doesn't matter if the players don't like him and he didn't run the 49ers' defensive scheme well (he was hired with the understanding that he would use the scheme in place, not to run his own scheme).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Grittybeard posted:

I guess it's because of the Lions game maybe? Because he wasn't at fault at all in the Super Bowl as far as I can tell unless you want to get super picky about missing the same play KC ran last year to win, but that's just a hard play to guard if you have the right look. And right or wrong, one play doesn't mean you should be fired.

I also don't think Shanahan should be fired, just saying y'all made the Super Bowl and were one or two plays away from winning it, and the defense was not the problem most of the game if there was a problem.

To be clear I'm not a 49ers fan. I'm saying I've seen a lot of 49ers chatter online the last few days who weren't happy with Wilks and I'm confused by it. I just think its very odd to hang this at all on Wilks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/StatsOnFire/status/1757859215333298399?s=19

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

soggybagel posted:

To be clear I'm not a 49ers fan. I'm saying I've seen a lot of 49ers chatter online the last few days who weren't happy with Wilks and I'm confused by it. I just think its very odd to hang this at all on Wilks.

Nobody is hanging the SB loss on Wilks, but he's been an issue all year. People are forgetting how rough the 49ers defense was at the start of the season. There was a period after their bye week, when Wilks very publicly moved down to the field, where things smoothed out and the defense got back on track for a while, and that seems to be all everyone remembers. Then the run defense regressed again towards the end of the season.

Here's what Shanahan said about the firing:

edit: From the bye week https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/steve-wilks-play-calling-defense-richard-sherman/1667041/

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 14, 2024

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

FizFashizzle posted:

Not sure any coach in the league has gotten as many raw deals as Wilks.

Josh McDaniels? Just kidding he made me say it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's very funny that the 9ers are making changes to one of the more effective coaching staffs in the NFL and the Jets basically kept the worst staff in the league the same with a few minor tweaks. Just complete losers.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Wilks had been on the hot seat for months, it's less about the Super Bowl itself and more that he was almost certainly gone in any situation where the Niners don't win the Super Bowl (and even then, a "parting of ways" wouldn't have shocked me).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
That's all fair and I will fully admit I'm not exactly on the pulse of the 49ers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Special teams causes an 8 point swing and Wilks gets fired... makes no sense to me.

You're always going to have disconnect when you bring in a DC from outside the current regime and want to run the same packages you've been running on a portion of the defense. I remember it's happened a few times specifically in orgs and its usually lead to a defensive assistant being sacked. I remember during the Rivera tenure there was an issue with the defensive backs coach not keeping guys within the scheme for example.

I've also seen the folly of allowing a wholesale change and not utilising what you have though. Either way another offseason and those issues are probably resolved, now they'll have them again. From a continuity perspective this is a bad move, Wilks didn't cause that loss. How the special teams coordinator has skated through this is insane to me.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

niners are melting down. its so over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Just loving fire Saleh, he has a soft landing spot now.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I think two things can be true at the same time: Wilks both underwhelmed pretty much all season with the 49ers AND was also not the singular or even biggest reason they lost the Super Bowl. He's clearly a fall guy so SF can look like they're Making Changes and that really sucks, but I also don't think there's any argument that the 49ers didn't regress under him. Wilks seems like an absolute class act and his players would lie down in the street and die for him, but the on-field results just aren't really there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wilks was a point of complaint all season and Shanahan called a timeout at one point during the Super Bowl to tell him to change the play call because what he was doing was dumb.

It’s the same as the Packers firing Barry, he wasn’t the main issue in their last game of the year but he was a big enough of an issue throughout the year that the writing was on the wall.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

BlindSite posted:

Special teams causes an 8 point swing and Wilks gets fired... makes no sense to me.

You're always going to have disconnect when you bring in a DC from outside the current regime and want to run the same packages you've been running on a portion of the defense. I remember it's happened a few times specifically in orgs and its usually lead to a defensive assistant being sacked. I remember during the Rivera tenure there was an issue with the defensive backs coach not keeping guys within the scheme for example.

I've also seen the folly of allowing a wholesale change and not utilising what you have though. Either way another offseason and those issues are probably resolved, now they'll have them again. From a continuity perspective this is a bad move, Wilks didn't cause that loss. How the special teams coordinator has skated through this is insane to me.

Truthfully even the ST gaffes aren’t really on the ST coach. Holder hosed up the XP hold and the muff was just terrible luck it looks like

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Wilks was a point of complaint all season and Shanahan called a timeout at one point during the Super Bowl to tell him to change the play call because what he was doing was dumb.

It’s the same as the Packers firing Barry, he wasn’t the main issue in their last game of the year but he was a big enough of an issue throughout the year that the writing was on the wall.

I think he was the biggest issue in that he allowed a mediocre QB to slice him in a rainstorm.

Like had that last drive not happened he would probably have come back

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think he was the biggest issue in that he allowed a mediocre QB to slice him in a rainstorm.

Mediocre is aspirational for Bryce.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FizFashizzle posted:

Mediocre is aspirational for Bryce.

I was talking about Purdy

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Wilks sounds more like a we can't work well together and it's not going to get any better so we should cut bait now situation rather than a you suck and are a bad coach so GTFO firing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm guessing Wilks had some words with someone that wasn't all that well received

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

so the players hated wilks? getting mixed signals

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cavauro posted:

so the players hated wilks? getting mixed signals

Sounds like the d-line did not like him but the secondary did

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Harlock posted:

Sounds like the d-line did not like him but the secondary did

Fred Warner has also been publicly upset with Wilks, so count the LBs in the disgruntled category.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

makes sense. thank you my bubbys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
"hate" might be a strong word for it, more a lack of buy-in or something like that. at least as far as I'm aware. just an awkward fit.