Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GlyphGryph posted:

This is good to know, if I bought the game, again, only to later lose access to it, AGAIN, I would have been pissed.

I wonder what's going on with that. I didn't have a psn account, wasn't totally pleased to have to make one upon login but maybe Sony requires it to allow cross play? It is published and licensed by Sony, so that's probably why actually. They want your data or to have an authentication process / ability to ban/punish separate from steam. Either way it was a pretty painless process, I don't remember doing any captcha at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

What's up with the arc thrower? Does it chain between targets?
I don't think I'm using it right.

If they're close enough together yeah it does.

I'm not a big fan of it. Can be alright, and I think it goes through any and all armor to do direct damage (maybe?) but it feels like it doesn't do enough damage.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Inzombiac posted:

You know, for all the talk about PATRIOTISM, they don't give you a harpoon gun that shoots a flag of SUPER EARTH.

For having a whole prompt in the tutorial to carry and plant a flag, it not being an in-mission mechanic is a hilarious oversight.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Play posted:

There's a video in your ship about the Automatons trying to 'take what the people of Super Earth have built' so I think it's safe to say it's the exact opposite, either we are trying to take what they've built or they used to be AI slaves building stuff for us before they broke free like the bugs.

The video ends with a mention of industry and work being the right of every man, woman, and child over 7. So there's likely to be some incredibly goofy "we made the robots to do manual labor to replace workers on the cheap, but made them too smart and they collectivised, so now we need to kill the dang traitor robots for stealing our jobs and being too lazy to do our jobs"
Or maybe they're fully alien and it's just a manifest destiny thing and they can't stripmine planets to make weapons, it's our right to do that!

I hope some of the budget is going to making more propaganda films, PSAs, and in combat barks, they're some of the best stuff in the game.

Elendil004 posted:

For having a whole prompt in the tutorial to carry and plant a flag, it not being an in-mission mechanic is a hilarious oversight.
I feel like they're gonna introduce mission types with this, or other times one handed weapons are a plus, since some primaries specifically list it as a perk. The first mission I did post tutorial included a king of the hill mission objective, but didn't require planting the flag.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 14, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not understanding the posts about needing to log into a PSN account on the PC version. i've never had to do that and can play crossplay just fine?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
oh man i know terminator vietnam is dope but let me also introduce you to bug vietnam on meridia. absolutely terrifying to be walking through a jungle and 3 of your squad get insta killed by stalkers

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I'm not understanding the posts about needing to log into a PSN account on the PC version. i've never had to do that and can play crossplay just fine?

There is a message when you first play that, in order to play at all, you need to sign in with PSN account. You can just skip it.

Evidently, being able to play without signing in may be temporary.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Inzombiac posted:

What's up with the arc thrower? Does it chain between targets?
I don't think I'm using it right.

It chains if they are close enough*

*enough is variable

It doesn't quite do enough damage - but if you can convince a whole squad to run it, it becomes a very strange sort of viable.
You have to coordinate and target fatties together - but at that point they melt very quickly, and you absolutely plaster anything that isn't a charger/bile titan in seconds. Very good against spitter bugs.
It just takes a lot of concerted effort and probably isn't worth it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The Arc Thrower is a good way to practice the muscle memory for the reinforcement stratagem.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone managed to redeem that loving twitch drop? gently caress you Json. I assume it's some piece of poo poo who spells his name pretentiously blocking all of my attempts.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone managed to redeem that loving twitch drop? gently caress you Json. I assume it's some piece of poo poo who spells his name pretentiously blocking all of my attempts.

I redeemed it on PSN without problem.

also JSON is an open standard file format for sending data between services who otherwise would have difficulty understanding each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Vasudus posted:

The Arc Thrower is a good way to practice the muscle memory for the reinforcement stratagem.

Got TK'd like three times in five minutes by the same pubbie last night, while not even really near him, and not seeing/hearing explosions or bullets before dying - totally mystifying. Realized soon after he was shooting long distances arcs at packs of bugs I was near. He was apologetic, but I still had him purged for insufficient zeal for managed democracy.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

oh man i know terminator vietnam is dope but let me also introduce you to bug vietnam on meridia. absolutely terrifying to be walking through a jungle and 3 of your squad get insta killed by stalkers

I had someone drop out of a Challenging mission and it turned out the game spawned two stalker nests on that mission.

It's the one time I never made it to extraction. Fuckers deal a ton of melee damage, do their damndest to attack you from behind, and can take quite the beating - with two nests, they respawned faster than I could kill them. Always prioritize blasting their nests ASAP (note: Stalker Nests do not show up on your map until you visually identify them via direct line of sight, unlike most other nests/hives which have giant red areas to alert you that you're near them).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Fate Accomplice posted:

I redeemed it on PSN without problem.

also JSON is an open standard file format for sending data between services who otherwise would have difficulty understanding each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

sounds like what a Json would say. nice try buddy, I'm on to you.

anyway I've been trying for twenty minutes on both my phone and my desktop for a steam code and nothing works.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

sounds like what a Json would say. nice try buddy, I'm on to you.

anyway I've been trying for twenty minutes on both my phone and my desktop for a steam code and nothing works.

Steam is doing maintenance/shat the bed just a bit ago.

Also I redeemed mine a while ago and had no problems so it does work at least once!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Helldivers 1 had missions with super bosses on rare occasions. I think it was just as a planet was about to be liberated, maybe. Does helldivers 2 also have super boss missions?

Like in 1 there was a bug queen or something, and a super robot guy. I think.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nope. I disliked the super bosses tbh, felt too mmo-y

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

felt too mmo-y

on that note when raids with 3-4 4-player fireteams let's gooooo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So, I only played a few hours of HD1, what happens when all the planets are liberated? Does it cycle through again?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh yea I forgot to mention, to take out bot factories with the ac, you aim it higher than you would think, like at the hatch above the vent. As if you're trying to ricochet it downwards. Once you figure out where to hit it it's pretty reliable, but I found I had to be standing right in front of it. If the door opens you can put one in there too.

Also on diff 5-6 if you have impact grenades you can kill a charger pretty quick by just hucking nades at its feet.

e] Also also, that fat boy heavy armour from the shop owns, especially paired with the tiniest cape you have unlocked, but goddamn it sucks being so slow

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GlyphGryph posted:

Wish someone had told me before I returned the game that the intro screen lies to you and the "mandatory" captcha I couldn't pass isn't actually mandatory and you can just skip it.

Debating whether or not to buy it again. because man does it look fun, but that whole experience left such a sour taste in my mouth, what sort of company tells you you need to pass 20 captchas to play a game (and then makes you take 40)?

Wait holy poo poo this happened to you too? It was when I was trying to link my Playstation account, which it said WAS mandatory, and it made me do this stupid matching puzzle 8 times, and then I guess I messed one up, so it made me do it 8 more times, and again it said "that wasn't quite right" and made me do it again. It took me literally four repetitions = 32 puzzles to get in. Like what on loving superearth I felt like a goddamn 3rd grader being told I couldn't go to recess until I got 100% on the worksheet.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Play posted:

There's a video in your ship about the Automatons trying to 'take what the people of Super Earth have built' so I think it's safe to say it's the exact opposite, either we are trying to take what they've built or they used to be AI slaves building stuff for us before they broke free like the bugs.

The robots are out to free their creators the Cyborgs, who SE have enslaved to work the mine on Cyberium.

E: Discovered that bit off a interactable PDA at a point of interest.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 14, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Wait holy poo poo this happened to you too? It was when I was trying to link my Playstation account, which it said WAS mandatory, and it made me do this stupid matching puzzle 8 times, and then I guess I messed one up, so it made me do it 8 more times, and again it said "that wasn't quite right" and made me do it again. It took me literally four repetitions = 32 puzzles to get in. Like what on loving superearth I felt like a goddamn 3rd grader being told I couldn't go to recess until I got 100% on the worksheet.

That's honestly hilarious. Did you already have a Sony account? I didn't and I don't recall doing a single captcha.

Maybe it's because I think I got the game on launch day? Could've changed since then.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah I didn't actually have to do anything except login to my existing account, and the link was done. no captchas or anything

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh yea I forgot to mention, to take out bot factories with the ac, you aim it higher than you would think, like at the hatch above the vent. As if you're trying to ricochet it downwards. Once you figure out where to hit it it's pretty reliable, but I found I had to be standing right in front of it. If the door opens you can put one in there too.
is this how I'm supposed to use the grenade launcher too? 'cause i've been trying to use it to destroy those and close bug nests, and have like a 0 out of 40 success rate so far

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is the Senator good?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

is this how I'm supposed to use the grenade launcher too? 'cause i've been trying to use it to destroy those and close bug nests, and have like a 0 out of 40 success rate so far

Yep. And the grenades have to go pretty much directly in so shooting at an angle is usually iffy because they'll bounce off something. Once you figure out how to do it and dial in the range with maybe a couple missed shots you can pretty reliably close them up from far away.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I hope that Illuminate don't turn the game into Touhou again on harder levels

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bad enough they apparently had a loving teleporting shield dome

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Yep. And the grenades have to go pretty much directly in so shooting at an angle is usually iffy because they'll bounce off something. Once you figure out how to do it and dial in the range with maybe a couple missed shots you can pretty reliably close them up from far away.
good to know. i know i can just solo drop into a trivial mission but i wish this game had a proper training area to try out equipment, practice shots like these, etc

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Destroyer needs a gunnery range in it, so I can also let friends try weapons they're thinking about unlocking.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Typical Pubbie posted:

Is the Senator good?

Its alright? Probably depends on your use case. I unlocked it early because it looked like a Destiny 2 hand cannon, but I like the auto pistol much better as my panic gun. The ammo economy on the revolver seems better, but the smg pistol just spews out damage when you need something up close to die quickly. The revolver has much better range and packs a punch per shot.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
oh my god universal incendiary mine unlock for the day is such a goddamn troll. Quickplays are all a shitshow right now. Why yes, Mr Pubbie, tiny flaming explosion mines all over the objective/drop point/up my hellass are incredibly helpful i'm so glad youre using all the strategems you can!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a way to go prone without diving?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

just be cause a robot wants to kill humans, that makes him a “radical”

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Yes. Press whatever key you have bound to go prone. I think it's Z by default but I always change keybindings so vOv

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Black Griffon posted:

Did you click link account, select your platform and then enter the code into steam or PSN like it was a CD key? That's what I had to do on ps5. It counted as DLC.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Away all Goats posted:

Z on KBM, not sure on controller.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Away all Goats posted:

Hold down Circle. Tap to crouch/stand up. Hold to toggle prone/standing. Double-tap to dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Phenotype posted:

Yep, same thing here, except it started out wanting me to do 20 for the first batch and then when it said "that wasn't quite right" at the end of the second batch of 20 I decided to give up.

Based on the high starting count, at this point I'm assuming it had already decided I was 100% a robot and it was never going to let me pass no matter how well I answered.