Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ZeeBoi posted:

High interest rates have exposed that companies all run on debts and bad bets
"High" meaning an increase from free money to 0.25% :shepface:

Matt Levine posted:

This was an industry with a radical vision for the future of humanity, not a bet on interest rates. Turns out it was a bet on interest rates though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

:lol:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Was anyone expecting any major existing franchise games this year? Surely they would have announced them by now.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BonoMan posted:

Literally the most perfect gif. What the gently caress is going on with vidja games lately? Late stage capitalism?

That's seriously what it is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like Xbox has won yet again.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
xbox finally learning that the only way to win a console war is to not play

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Never in doubt.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

90sgamer posted:

The reason this is all happening is because a generation of kids have grown up playing cheap iPhone games made in China

loving Steve Jobs and Honkai starrail destroyed the gaming industry

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I’m pretty sure Sony only says things like “we don’t make enough money” and “oh poo poo better start porting” just to add to the loving piss take that is their ongoing approach to Bloodborne and the Demons Souls remake.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

and now we have rear end worms :/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want to play good video games, I don't care about any of this other poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

What sucks is every AAA game from the last ten years or so being homogeneous garbage with monetization built in from the ground up.
The saving grace, at least on PC, is that the indie scene is gigantic and finally beyond the pixel art stage now, so there’s a lot of hidden gems dropping every week. I figure a few of the brighter gems make it to GamePass or the Xbox store. I feel like gaming is in a better space than it was in the past, but high budget games are bland grey goop that only seems to get more risk adverse and tasteless with each extra 0 added to the budget.

e: this is a dumb take of mine and I don’t actually know enough to talk about the Xbox game platform

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 14, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kept checking this thread thinking today was the 15th goddammit

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

AndrewP posted:

I did the exact same thing.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Just lol if the ms multiplat announcement is due to this. Did Sony come to them and ask them to put games on their ps5?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ruffian Price posted:

"High" meaning an increase from free money to 0.25% :shepface:

lol gently caress I did not expect to see a Matt Levine quote in the Xbox thread

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
In many ways, isn't disappointing Timdog securities fraud?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

AndrewP posted:

otter posted:

I did the exact same thing.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't even care about that as much as i just hate every game needing to be the hugest most expansive yet hollow poo poo ever. mario wonder especially drove home that shorter, more focused games that just play really well are very good and aaa devs should make them more often instead of making giant amorphous blob games that are supposed to appeal to everyone and cost hundreds of millions to make

GTA6

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

lines posted:

In many ways, isn't disappointing Timdog securities fraud?

Taking the “everything is securities fraud” axiom to its logical conclusion

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Speaking of games that aren't AAA dish water, everyone itt should go play Gris if you haven't. It's on Gamepass, it's like 4 hours long, and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
GP is perfect for the small games that are polished and don‘t overstay their welcome. And would simply be too expensive for my stingy rear end to buy. Gris, cocoon, The Gunk, Close to the sun, Figment and so on. Play them!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Neco posted:

GP is perfect for the small games that are polished and don‘t overstay their welcome. And would simply be too expensive for my stingy rear end to buy. Gris, cocoon, The Gunk, Close to the sun, Figment and so on. Play them!

This is def why I love GP and frankly is 10 x more enjoyable than the absolute poo poo state of AAA games lately.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I bought Gris for a few dollars on switch, no regrets.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

External Organs posted:

I bought Gris for a few dollars on switch, no regrets.

Can't believe you would give Nintendo money at a time like this. Please think of Timdog

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Volte posted:

Was anyone expecting any major existing franchise games this year? Surely they would have announced them by now.

I had the same reaction. This can't be surprising to anyone who's aware of what games Sony has published in the last couple years and how long they took to make

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
It's a little surprising only because there were some rumors about a PS5 Pro this holiday, but I feel like even Sony isn't bold enough to start selling that thing without a marquee game, even if they do Last of Us Remastered Remastered or whatever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

None of the PS5 Pro rumors have been credible. Pretty sure such a console is not going to happen.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What would they even put in a pro? GPUs are more powerful now but theyre also more expensive and really big and power hungry

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm proud of Microsoft for finally seeing reason and bending the knee to their obviously superior competitor, Nintendo.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

AndrewP posted:

It already is the 15th, in the eastern, superior, hemisphere

I already watched the show and man you guys are gunna have your minds blown

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The new Deep Rock Galactic vampire-survivors type game is really fun, and hopefully it comes to game pass.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think it's good Nintendo will get Sea of Thieves because it's a very Nintendo-y game and kids that check it out will probably love it, plus it's Rare which makes it extra suited imo but the announcement might be awkward because I don't think the Switch could run it very well. It would make a really good launch title for Switch 2 later this year but Phil can't spill Nintendo's beans all over the place like that so I guess maybe they'll just say this stuff is coming to Nintendo and keep it vague.

I wonder if Xbox has Switch 2 devkits?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just run it through cloud streaming like game pass uses. put game pass on switch and stream everything imho.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
streaming games is dogshit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game Pass streaming is actually really good!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Remote streaming is ftw and Xbox.com/play is pretty decent but it’s always in a complimentary fashion. When you’re on a trip or you wanna play something while your SO ties up the TV. Streaming as your only method of playing games is some insano poo poo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

streaming games is dogshit

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One question about the Gamepass "trick" I keep seeing people talk about online. That assumes you're already paying for Xbox Live right? Like if I just wanted to get PC game pass and had no other existing services and didn't own an Xbox, there's no conversion trick or anything I'm missing out on right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Setting your region to New Zealand will not get you the podcast earlier.