Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Byzantine posted:

A nuclear detonation is the most efficient way to generate an electromagnetic pulse.

Fair enough. I think my mind went to "you're probably aiming at a specific satellite(s)" and would want something a little more targeted. Seems like a nuke would screw themselves up too potentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

BonoMan posted:

Seems like a nuke would screw themselves up too potentially.

That's MAD.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

More like SAD

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

zoux posted:

We detonated a 1.4 megaton device in orbit in the 60s to see what would happen

Yeah, on Earth the atmosphere absorbs and blunts the energy pulse of a nuke going off. In space, a nuke is literally just a tiny star cooking everything in line of sight nearby.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Watch the documentary Goldeneye starring Pierce Brosnan. You move the nuke into position and detonate it in space to create an EMP that destroys all satellites/electronic devices in a large area.

I find the documentary starring Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland to be much more enlightening.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, on Earth the atmosphere absorbs and blunts the energy pulse of a nuke going off. In space, a nuke is literally just a tiny star cooking everything in line of sight nearby.

There's that, but the EMP is more a quirk with how the radiation of a nuke interacts with our magnetic field at a specific altitude. It causes the field lines to snap the same way they do on the Sun's surface, greatly extending the range of the nuke's normal pulse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
James Clyburn is running for re-election, but stepping down from House leadership.

https://twitter.com/RepJamesClyburn/status/1757866897398239255

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, U.S. House Assistant Democratic Leader James E. Clyburn released the following statement on his decision to step down from House Democratic leadership:

quote:

“I have informed Leader Hakeem Jeffries of my intention to step down as Assistant Democratic Leader of the House Democratic Caucus. I am deeply grateful for the confidence my colleagues have placed in me throughout my career, especially as Co-President of my Freshman Class, Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Vice Chair and Chair of the House Democratic Caucus, and twice as Majority Whip and Assistant Democratic Leader. I am confident that Leader Jeffries, Whip Catherine Clark, Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar, and the entire leadership team will continue the important work of putting people over politics.

“I will run for re-election for the Sixth Congressional District. Events of the last several years have made it clear that the greatness of America is at peril, and the threats to our continued pursuit of ‘a more perfect Union’ are real.

“Yesterday’s results in New York and Pennsylvania, however, undergird my devotion to Alexis de Tocqueville’s admonition that ‘America’s greatness is not that she is more enlightened than any other nation, but that she has always been able to repair her faults.’ I am convinced that a significant majority of Americans are committed to de Tocqueville’s notion, and I feel compelled to expand my efforts to maintain America’s greatness and make that greatness accessible and affordable for all Americans. That has always been my life’s mission and I am proud of my efforts in that regard.

“I’ve had the privilege of serving under consequential Democratic presidents, balancing budgets in the Clinton Administration, expanding healthcare access under President Obama, and rescuing a pandemic plagued country and economy with President Biden.

“South Carolina, and our already-great nation, have made tremendous progress under the Biden-Harris Administration. I look forward to continuing to work alongside my Democratic colleagues in the 118th Congress, and beyond, to regain a Democratic Majority, retain our Senate Majority, and rally Americans to reelect President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://x.com/kvoa/status/1757855461053722696?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

1Better known for other work

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Man that lady can’t catch a break

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That lady doesn't make smart decisions. Like, in a sane world, she should be able to sell her butt videos online and be a teacher, but given that she was already a lightning rod for right wing hatred this seems kind of... inevitable

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I had to read the article to be sure I want crazy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

kdrudy posted:

I had to read the article to be sure I want crazy.

Yeah for a second I thought I had a stroke or there was a weird Mandela effect going on.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

She could be in even more trouble if her OnlyFans account is listed in the "ebony" category.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

I love the thumbnail they used for video in the article.

- "Which picture from her OnlyFans should we use during the live report?"
- "How about this tasteful nude?"
- "Nah. Not gratuitous enough"
- "How about this one of her getting railed?"
- "Too explicit. We can't show her O-face on the air!"
- "How about this one of her spreading her rear end cheeks?"
- "That's perfect!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
She was probably making more from only fans than from her teaching salary anyway.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Some more details coming out regarding Biden's alleged inability to remember when his son died:

NBC posted:

Biden attacked Hur for asking him when Beau died. That didn't happen, sources say.

The president raised his son’s death after being asked about his workflow at a Virginia rental home, where he said he found classified materials, two sources said.

Feb. 14, 2024, 3:29 PM EST
By Ken Dilanian
President Joe Biden lashed out at Robert Hur last week over one particular line in the special counsel's report on his handling of classified documents: that Biden "did not remember, even within several years, when his son Beau died."

“How in the hell dare he raise that?” Biden told reporters in an impromptu White House press conference. “Frankly, when I was asked the question, I thought to myself, it wasn’t any of their drat business.”

But Hur never asked that question, according to two people familiar with Hur’s five-hour interview with the president over two days last October. It was the president, not Hur or his team, who first introduced Beau Biden’s death, they said.

Biden raised his son’s death after being asked about his workflow at a Virginia rental home from 2016 to 2018, the sources said, when a ghost writer was helping him write a memoir about losing Beau to brain cancer in 2015. Investigators had a 2017 recording showing that Biden had told the ghost writer he had found “classified stuff” in that home, the report says.

Biden began trying to recall that period by discussing what else was happening in his life, and it was at that point in the interview that he appeared confused about when Beau had died, the sources said. Biden got the date—May 30—correct, but not the year.

Hur's 345-page report absolved Biden of criminal wrongdoing while pointing to evidence that he took home and kept highly classified material. Even though Biden was found to have disclosed classified information to the ghost writer on three occasions, prosecutors concluded that they could not prove that the president knew it was classified information at the time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/biden-attacked-hur-asking-beau-died-didnt-happen-sources-say-rcna138709

The article goes on much longer, but that's the gist of it.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

NYT is reporting that the intelligence has something to do with Russian nuclear capabilities in development. WH is pissed and is not going to declassify it for fear of burning the source.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/14/us/politics/intelligence-russia-nuclear.html

NYTimes posted:

U.S. Has New Intelligence About Russia’s Nuclear Capabilities
A congressman’s cryptic statement about the development set Washington abuzz about what the intelligence was and infuriated White House officials.

Share full article

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia standing at a lectern wearing a dark suit.
The war in Ukraine has pitted the United States and its allies against President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.Credit...Alexander Kazakov/Sputnik, via Reuters

Julian E. BarnesKaroun DemirjianEric SchmittDavid E. Sanger
By Julian E. Barnes, Karoun Demirjian, Eric Schmitt and David E. Sanger
Julian E. Barnes, Karoun Demirjian and Eric Schmitt reported from Washington, and David E. Sanger from Berlin.

Feb. 14, 2024, 4:45 p.m. ET

The United States has informed Congress and its allies in Europe of new intelligence about Russian nuclear capabilities that could pose an international threat, according to officials briefed on the matter.

Officials said that the new intelligence was serious — but that the capability was still under development, and Russia had not deployed it. Consequently, it did not pose an urgent threat to the United States, Ukraine or America’s European allies, they said. The information is highly classified, and officials said it could not be declassified without cutting off its source.

A current and a former U.S. official said the new intelligence was related to Russia’s attempts to develop a space-based antisatellite nuclear weapon. ABC News reported earlier that the intelligence had to do with such a capability. Current and former officials said the nuclear weapon was not in orbit.

The threat came to light after Representative Michael R. Turner, Republican of Ohio and the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, issued a cryptic statement calling on the Biden administration to declassify the material. Mr. Turner’s statement, and his decision to share the information with others in Congress, set Washington abuzz about what the intelligence was.

But the statement infuriated White House officials, who feared the loss of important sources of information on Russia. While Mr. Turner has been an ally to the White House on Ukraine aid, his remarks on Wednesday became the latest flashpoint in strained relations between the Biden administration and congressional Republicans.

The intelligence was developed in recent days, and while it is important, officials said it was not a break-the-glass kind of warning of any imminent threat. But Mr. Turner urged its release.

“I am requesting that President Biden declassify all information relating to this threat so that Congress, the administration and our allies can openly discuss the actions necessary to respond to this threat,” Mr. Turner said.

His committee took the unorthodox move of voting on Monday to make the information available to all members of Congress — a step that alarmed some officials, as it is not clear in what context, if any, the intelligence in the panel’s possession was presented. In a note to lawmakers, the House Intelligence Committee said the intelligence was about a “destabilizing foreign military capability.”

Capitol Hill is mired in a bitter political standoff over whether the United States should be mobilizing resources to counter Russian threats to Ukraine, a cause that most Democrats and some Republicans — including Mr. Turner — have argued is essential to protecting U.S. national security interests. But a majority of Republican members of the House, including Speaker Mike Johnson, reject calls to put a Senate-passed foreign aid package with $60.1 billion for Ukraine to a vote on the House floor.

Former President Donald J. Trump has egged on Republican opposition, saying this weekend that he would encourage Russia to “do whatever the hell they want” to any NATO country that had not spent enough money on its own defense.

Other officials said Mr. Turner was making more of the new intelligence than would ordinarily have been expected, perhaps to create pressure to prod the House to take up the supplemental funding request for Ukraine that the Senate passed this week.

That measure, providing military aid to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, faces an uncertain prospect in the House. While many Republicans oppose additional funding, Mr. Turner is an outspoken advocate of more assistance to Ukraine and recently visited Kyiv, the capital.

Shortly after Mr. Turner’s announcement, Jake Sullivan, the national security adviser, entered the White House press room to discuss the importance of continued funding for Ukraine’s military.

But Mr. Sullivan declined to address a reporter’s question about the substance of Mr. Turner’s announcement, saying only that he was set to meet with the chairman on Thursday.

“We scheduled a briefing for the House members of the Gang of Eight tomorrow,” Mr. Sullivan said, referring to a group of congressional leaders from both parties. “That’s been on the books. So I am a bit surprised that Congressman Turner came out publicly today in advance of a meeting on the books for me to go sit with him alongside our intelligence and defense professionals tomorrow.”

Representative Jim Himes, Democrat of Connecticut and the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, said the issue was “serious” and Mr. Turner was right to focus on it. But he added that the threat was “not going to ruin your Thursday.”

Senator Mark Warner, Democrat of Virginia, and Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, said in a joint statement that the Senate Intelligence Committee had been tracking the issue from the start and had been discussing a response with the Biden administration. But the lawmakers said releasing information about the intelligence could expose the methods of collection.

At the White House, when Mr. Sullivan was asked whether he could tell Americans that there was nothing to worry about, he replied that it was “impossible to answer with a straight ‘yes.’”

“Americans understand that there are a range of threats and challenges in the world that we’re dealing with every single day, and those threats and challenges range from terrorism to state actors,” Mr. Sullivan said. “And we have to contend with them, and we have to contend with them in a way where we ensure the ultimate security of the American people. I am confident that President Biden, in the decisions that he is taking, is going to ensure the security of the American people going forward.”

Mr. Turner declined to respond to questions on Wednesday. Jason Crow, Democrat of Colorado, said the new intelligence was one of several “volatile threats” facing the United States.

“This is something that requires our attention,” Mr. Crow said. “There’s no doubt. It’s not an immediate crisis, but certainly something that we have to be very serious about.”

Mr. Johnson, apparently trying to spread calm after Mr. Turner’s announcement, said there was “no need for public alarm.”

“We are going to work together to address this matter,” Mr. Johnson said.

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 14, 2024

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wonder when the govt is going to admit the GOP are corrupted russian/foreign assets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

B B posted:

Some more details coming out regarding Biden's alleged inability to remember when his son died:

The article goes on much longer, but that's the gist of it.

wow, hur is a loving hack if thats true and honestly it wouldnt shock me if hur lied about more.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

NYT is reporting that the intelligence has something to do with Russian nuclear capabilities in development. WH is pissed and is not going to declassify it for fear of burning the source.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/14/us/politics/intelligence-russia-nuclear.html

quote:

Daisy Ridley Loves Every Single Track of This Stormzy Album

Fragments of Asteroid With Mystery Origin Are Found Outside Berlin

i think we found the concerns

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I know Russia isn't exactly interested in international law and treaties right now, but wouldn't space nukes directly violate the agreement from the 60's about not arming space? I guess Russia's all sanctioned off anyway, but still.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i think we found the concerns

Haha sorry, I'll edit that poo poo out.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The "good" news is that it seems like several people were shot after two drunk people with guns got into a fight and it wasn't a mass shooting.

Several people were shot, but nobody is reported dead yet and both armed people were taken into custody. Police were already on the scene because of the parade and the crowd tackled at least one of the shooters right away.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/shooting-reported-at-kansas-city-chiefs-super-bowl-victory-rally/46790065

So both Taylor and Travis?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rappaport posted:

I know Russia isn't exactly interested in international law and treaties right now, but wouldn't space nukes directly violate the agreement from the 60's about not arming space? I guess Russia's all sanctioned off anyway, but still.

Yes. Although as you say, there is little downside.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KC Police updating and saying 1 person is dead in the shooting and 10 people are injured. Three of the people injured were "critically" injured.

No other details.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

Yes. Although as you say, there is little downside.

I think China prioritizes global stability and Russia really needs to cultivate that relationship so there's definitely some downside.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She was probably making more from only fans than from her teaching salary anyway.
I would say I don't understand her judgement here, but considering her previous choices...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would say I don't understand her judgement here, but considering her previous choices...

I mean, it's not just her. This story happens about once a month and they're always making more from only fans, lots more.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

nbc news is saying police think the kansas city shooting is criminal rather than terrorism

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, it's not just her. This story happens about once a month and they're always making more from only fans, lots more.

Those people generally aren't already famous and made national news.

And I'm sure one of the bigger draws of her OnlyFans was specifically her fame.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I think China prioritizes global stability and Russia really needs to cultivate that relationship so there's definitely some downside.

That's true but they're clearly not firing on all cylinders as Putin gets old enough to be vulnerable.

China is probably pissed that they have to be dealing with two insane declining powers at the same time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's not.

It's Elon taking money from Hassan Nasrallah and other leaders of Hezbollah; Houthi rebels in Yemen; and the state-run media outlets of Russia and Iran to verify their accounts and give them bluechecks.

Libs Of TikTok should feel right at home with these terrorists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well let’s activate the ol Right Wing Nutjob RNG and

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1757908503916917050

Thats a good one

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Biden is now above 40% favorability, and given the trajectory of multiple polls this week, is headed to parity with Trump at about 43-44% by the end of the month.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 15, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zoux posted:

Well let’s activate the ol Right Wing Nutjob RNG and

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1757908503916917050

Thats a good one

You know, I've never heard of Soros in when he's not acting as the right wing boogeyman

What does he do as a day job?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You know, I've never heard of Soros in when he's not acting as the right wing boogeyman

CEO of Antifa.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Takes advantage of the fact that he's really good at capitalism to fund opposition to fascists.

Basically what they accuse him of doing which is why he is the good billionaire.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Motherfucker still hasn’t paid me for 2020

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Orthanc6 posted:

We already know about the giant nuke torpedo, and the nuke-propelled cruise missile. So the only thing that occurs to me that would be novel enough to warrant this much noise would be a nuclear satellite aka literally Goldeneye.

Any other leaks, buddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Motherfucker still hasn’t paid me for 2020

You don't become a billionaire by paying people.