Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when the pixel remasters were first announced i didn't think I'd have any interest in ff1 but it's actually pretty sick, i can only imagine being a kid in 1987, getting to the flying fortress, and seeing that it's a freaking space station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Looper posted:

when the pixel remasters were first announced i didn't think I'd have any interest in ff1 but it's actually pretty sick, i can only imagine being a kid in 1987, getting to the flying fortress, and seeing that it's a freaking space station

It was rad

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i watched my friend play and beat 1 back when it first came out but i remember like none of it, i mean i remember like nothing from back then anyway

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looper posted:

wtf spoilers

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ff3pr was the first time I actually had fun playing FF3 so that's a win.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

MarcusSA posted:

wtf spoilers

Yeah, really.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot how wild some of these old RPGs were back in the 80s / early 90s. One of the Ultima games (the first one even?) has you going to space in a space shuttle (remember this is in a fantasy setting) and then flying ships from Star Wars.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

ff3pr was the first time I actually had fun playing FF3 so that's a win.

FF3PR is also the only good version of the game so that's not too surprising.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I feel like I really missed out on the GameCube. I bought one on launch and a few weeks later house was broken into and it got stolen...and I never replaced :(

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I somehow missed every final fantasy prior to 7 and I’m almost 40
I had a SNES and everything but got into earthbound and super Mario RPG and somehow didn’t hear about FF until later
Playing through the first one and it’s fun as hell music is rad, digging the graphics so far so good

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SilkyP posted:

I had a SNES and everything but got into earthbound and super Mario RPG and somehow didn’t hear about FF until later
To be fair, like half of them didn't come out in North America (until the PSX), and like none of them came out in Europe.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Copped snowruner

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Wait.
Is that the same dude?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Copped snowruner

Cool can’t wait to hear about how much you dislike it in 10 hours

eightysixed posted:

Wait.
Is that the same dude?

It absolutely is. Our little village idiot. :allears:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ugh :saddowns:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

With that being said, didn't you "cop" the wrong thing?
I thought it was SnowRunner not "snowruner" but I could be wrong v:shobon:v

Usain Bolt was a pretty good runer.

edit: Well this is the most unironic thing posted in this thread in awhile

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 15, 2024

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
don't engage with the brain damaged gbs guy

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

That's fair :v:

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Copped snowruner

I got Snowrunner (but on steam deck) and I gotta say there is something about that game that got its hooks it me. I had foot surgery and was off work a couple months and that game was my jam. It’s maddening and peaceful in equal measure. I think I have 40 hours in it and barely put a dent in the base game not even counting the DLC content. Solid game
Any word on how it runs on switch?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

You copped it on Steam Deck, you have to cop it on the Switch, bro :rolleyes:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Copped snowruner

Here's hoping you "cop" a fukken ban!!!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I said come in! posted:

I forgot how wild some of these old RPGs were back in the 80s / early 90s. One of the Ultima games (the first one even?) has you going to space in a space shuttle (remember this is in a fantasy setting) and then flying ships from Star Wars.
Even D&D had the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks module, in which players explored a crashed spaceship and fought/negotiated with robots, squatters, and the ship's menagerie and the rewards were rayguns and powered armor.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

eightysixed posted:

You copped it on Steam Deck, you have to cop it on the Switch, bro :rolleyes:

Snowrunner is not a game I want to start over tho

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

don't engage with the brain damaged gbs guy

How was your Valentine’s Day OP?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Yeah the first two had it, and you were fighting against TIE fighters. The best part of it is that it's narrated in the same hokey ye olde English as the rest of the game. "Thou hast lifted off! Thou hast become a Space Ace!" And of course there was the later one where the Avatar went to Mars in the 1800s but at least for that one it was the setting of the whole game instead of a sudden non sequitur.
My personal headcanon is that Garriott programmed a space combat game for fun and then just threw it into his fantasy RPG instead of releasing it as its own game. And of course all the manuals of the later games recap all of the Avatar's previous adventures in great detail but always leave out the part where he went into frickin' space.
Might & Magic and the later Wizardry games also went into sci-fi territory from what I understand so pretty much every big CRPG back then was doing it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

BonoMan posted:

I feel like I really missed out on the GameCube. I bought one on launch and a few weeks later house was broken into and it got stolen...and I never replaced :(

It’s got a fantastic library. The way I see it, you can get one fully loaded for $100 or so with whatever games. It’s hard not to be able to find 200 hours of fun gameplay. That’s 50c /hr. It’s a good value proposition for entertainment.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
someone should make a booster boy for the switch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Item Getter posted:

Yeah the first two had it, and you were fighting against TIE fighters. The best part of it is that it's narrated in the same hokey ye olde English as the rest of the game. "Thou hast lifted off! Thou hast become a Space Ace!" And of course there was the later one where the Avatar went to Mars in the 1800s but at least for that one it was the setting of the whole game instead of a sudden non sequitur.
My personal headcanon is that Garriott programmed a space combat game for fun and then just threw it into his fantasy RPG instead of releasing it as its own game. And of course all the manuals of the later games recap all of the Avatar's previous adventures in great detail but always leave out the part where he went into frickin' space.
Might & Magic and the later Wizardry games also went into sci-fi territory from what I understand so pretty much every big CRPG back then was doing it.

This reminds me of the incredibly well written Xcom LP done years ago here on SA. The OP asked people for names for the soldiers, and one of them was named, I think, Andrew Jackson. Between some missions, the goons whose names got picked got a chance to add to the LP with diary entries that their character would have written. Andrew Jackson's were written as if he was somehow brought back to life and tasked with killing aliens on the "Ex-coumb" team.

Edit ok, this is, I believe, where it starts.

Quoted for the lazy (I believe there are other entries, this was just the initial one)

Lp Archive posted:

Gay at Heart posted:

Spring, 18-??
Dearest Rachel,

Although I am now certain that my correspondence will not reach you, I have decided to continue writing in the hopes that some day soon I might be able to deliver these to you personally.

Since the last time I wrote, so much has transpired that I find myself at a loss as to how I should explain events to you. Therefore, I shall simply tell as true a recounting of the events as I am able to. I beg forgiveness, for these writings must surely sound like the ravings of a madman, but I swear on your honor all that I write here is true to my memory.

Since that fateful night, I have seen the impossible, and many more have I seen that that I wished was impossible. The armaments and transportation that both the Excombs and Sectoids posses is ages beyond our own, allowing men to fly through the sky as though they had wings and travel long marches in a matter of hours. I would not have believed this possible myself had I not recently been relocated to another base of the Excombs known as Kiryu-Kai, a land across the vast Pacific. I know not how the machines operate, and I care not to either. I have been acquainted with several of the soldiers here, among whom a man named Tasian seemed most bemused when I informed him of my presidency. I suppose that if I thought as he did that the current president was the forty-second rather than the seventh, I would have some manner of confusion as well.

Recently, the Excombs subjected the soldiers to a test of faith against the powers of darkness. I am told that I had among the highest faiths of all, second only to my Colonel. He strikes me as a true and honest man, someone to be relied on in this alien world I find myself in. The weaponry employed by both armies, through some act surely of the devil, projects a greenish hell flame that burns both the flesh and soul. Although it bothers me deeply to do so, I don their armor and use their weapons because of the great threat these Sectoids pose to not only the United States, but the entire globe. I place my faith in the Lord, and trust in him to protect me against this witchcraft. Although their motives are unknown, the Sectoids use their nightmare craft to abduct the good citizens of earth, and terrorize the population. The savage barbarianism with which they slaughter the innocent to see my fellow soldiers struck down, flayed to the bone makes my soul burn with a righteous fury. Through further witchcraft, I have even heard tales of the Sectoids turning soldier against his fellow man, and driving him to insanity. Although the Excombs who surround me are nearly as alien to our customs as the Sectoids themselves, they are still men, and I feel a brotherhood with them on the basest of levels while the Sectoids inspire nothing but justified rage. Already nearly all of the soldiers who initially took me in have had their lives snuffed too short. If I am able to do anything, anything at all to rid the earth of this alien menace and protect the lives of the men under me, then it is my duty not only as president but also as a fellow man to do all that I can.

Thus, it is with a heavy heart I must inform you that I must stay with the Excombs and fight these alien invaders as is my duty as a man. Know that everyday I am away from you breaks my heart, and I shall make haste to return to you as soon as the world is once again safe. When evil threatens the path of the good man, he must stand and face the tide, allowing it to break roughly upon him, or risk being washed away forever. It is not a heroic act to stand and fight, but rather the duty of all free men.

Sincerely,
Andrew Jackson, President of the United States of America.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 15, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

otter posted:

It’s got a fantastic library. The way I see it, you can get one fully loaded for $100 or so with whatever games. It’s hard not to be able to find 200 hours of fun gameplay. That’s 50c /hr. It’s a good value proposition for entertainment.

Wait what? Can you show me this - how do you call it? - the way?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

otter posted:

I love this post.

Sure, the GameCube is a nice machine with good games, but this same logic gave us Action 52. :allears:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

If Skies of Arcadia on GC isn’t crazy expensive that’s the GameCube game I recommend if you need hours.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically it’s already a remake of a Dreamcast title but they should remake or port that game to modern consoles someday

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Larryb posted:

Technically it’s already a remake of a Dreamcast title but they should remake or port that game to modern consoles someday

Considering Valkyrie Chronicles gets put on everything I’ve always found this odd, although I guess that game was already HD.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Larryb posted:

Yes but cut random encounters by 75% and increase exp and item drops accordingly

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

As I recall, the entire world map in Might&Magic 1 is a world ship that has gone off course, and there was a SNES fantasy RPG with a time travel plot where you end up being your own quest giver or something weird like that.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
D&D had an entire famous module where a routine dungeoneering trip ends up leading to a crashed UFO, alien creatures, and super advanced tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

As I recall, the entire world map in Might&Magic 1 is a world ship that has gone off course, and there was a SNES fantasy RPG with a time travel plot where you end up being your own quest giver or something weird like that.

Yeah, early RPGs were often a wild mix of genres. Ultima II was set in the Solar System and you had to travel between planets, Might and Magic I-V all were set on giant world ships (IV and V on different sides of the same one, even) and VI-VIII dealt with an alien invasion and the resulting fallout.

Wizardry was the most "normal" of the three classic series. While M&M and Ultima started spacy and then slowly normalized (though M&M did not give up its robots and space lasers until part IX :allears: ), Wizardry went down the reverse route and introduced space flight around part VI, culminating in your starting party in Wizardry VIII just openly arriving with a spaceship.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 15, 2024